Masters Running

Saturday August 30 Runs and Birthday celebrations (Read 391 times)

King of PhotoShop

Okay, despite Holly's attempt to ruin poor Dark Horse's birthday celebration by assigning it odd and varied dates, it is today, so everyone go ape. Happy birthday Tim! As for me, I'm going to the lake and walk. Will post later. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Out before dawn for "just a run" with the dog. We chose to go along the water's edge -- ended up with 3.5 easy miles and 3 beer bottles cleaned up on the beach. Lots of folks out -- and I mean more than the guys driving the beach rakers! Big grin I barely slept last night -- body was willing to do so, but ears weren't willing to ignore restless children. Black eye I'm beat but glad I went out for a little. I have no long run scheduled this week, so tomorrow will be a little chisler too. CNYRunner, thanks for sharing about your night with your Super Granny this week. I felt it. Good runs and racing to all! P.S. HBD, DH!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, despite Holly's attempt to ruin poor Dark Horse's birthday celebration by assigning it odd and varied dates, it is today, so everyone go ape. Happy birthday Tim!
        Big grin I was taught that it’s better to be early than late… Wink Today’s workout at the gym (still no one questions me): 30 minutes elliptical 1 mile jog 30 minutes elliptical 1 mile jog 20 minutes stationary bike Tomorrow I hope to run 16 miles, but I’m not sure how this tendon problem will feel about it, so I’m taking my cell phone with me. If I feel like it’s too much, I plan on calling DH for a ride.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ahh... Almost 8 hours of sleep last night! I got up and made banana-nut-oatmeal-honey-raisin muffins, then went out for an easy 5 miles in very high humidity. I don't much care for running in warm foggy soup... In an hour, I'll go walking with my friend, Sharon. We hope to beat last week's time of 37 minutes for one mile. Next Saturday we're doing the local county fair fun run/walk (her) and 5k (me). I want to take lots of pictures and celebrate her new getting-healthy initiative. Then we'll make a trip to the vet for the cat's check-up and shots, and later this afternoon a visit to dear-old-dad. Tomorrow's a long run. As usual, I'm getting anxious about it.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I also enjoyed Karin's story yesterday. I've found that following a run the next day with bicycling is a good way to keep my hamstrings loose, so I'll be joining some friends for a 20-mile or so trail ride about an hour from now. Good running (or biking) to everyone today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

PDR, the muffins sound fantastic....post recipe? Later today I'll go to the county fair w/ the girls ($$$$$), so I did an easy four this AM.......might actually hit 40 miles this week. Safe runs, all. Walt
                PDR, the muffins sound fantastic....post recipe?
                As far as I can tell it's just a bunch of mashed up bananas, nuts, oatmeal, honey and raisins crammed in a cupcake cup and baked. Big grin An easy 7 miler for me today, in overcast and humid conditions -- 98%! I, too, get anxious about the long runs, although I think PDR is planning a longer run than me tomorrow. 7.2 miles, 1:02, 8:42/mi, AHR 144 I'm starving! Gonna scarf down one or two of those "muffins". Have a great holiday weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

DickyG

I really hate politics..I can't stand the vacuous speeches..."we must move forward".."here's to a new America"..."God save the Queen".. In the state where I live, it's even worse..about 99% of our governors have been democrats yet a democratic presidential candidate hasn't carried the state since Kennedy (or maybe LBJ). Here's how some of our leaders have been elected: Chuck Robb became governor because he was married to one of LBJ's daughters, George Allen became governor because his dad used to coach the Redskins, John Warner was elected senator because he was married to Elizabeth Taylor, and Mark Warner was elected governor because everyone got confused and thought they were voting for John Warner (like that old Eddie Murphy movie). Oh yeah...the congressman from our district is named Virgil (!) and has been elected as a democrat, independant, and republican...you can look it up. NoNo:
                  Had a little cry after I got to the boarwalk and realized my Dad wouldn't see any more of these sunrises and he always enjoyed getting up and seeing them.
                  Thanks for sharing that thought...I remember my dad... Sue: Certainly hope your mom can get the proper treatment she deserves. Gordon: Job situation? If the determination you put into your running is any indication, you should be a shoo-in. Ribs:
                  ...but now I am totally off the prescription painkillers, so that is a big milestone for me.
                  I remember when I was in the hospital, I loved that pain stuff...when I was discharged, I asked if I could take some home in a doggie bag. Bill:
                  A Democrat in Alaska??? That's as unusual as a Republican (me) in S. Florida. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother voting down here ... personal civic pride I suppose.
                  Hah! My Uncle Burton from Miami Beach used to say the exact same thing...he fought the yellowdogs until his last breath. 4.1 miles for me this morning on a very hilly course...37:34 (9:10) which is about normal for this course...thought I would do a little better but the humidity got to me. #1 daughter is getting very nervous about the hurricane situation...she is a Tulane grad and still has tons of friends down there, a few of which evacuated and bunked in with her 3 years ago. 2 are already on the way to Bethesda to spend a few days with her. DickyG
                    Happy Birthday Tim!!! No running today off for a long hike with my girlfriend in Gatineau Park on Wolfe Trail which is a continiously rising trail that ends at an extremely scenic, isolated and beautiful lookout overlooking the Park. I have made a nice muffelleta and brought some wine, blanket and some sweets for us to picnic on!!! It looks like a perfect day outside...Very much looking forward to a simple day. 2hr run planned for tomorrow. I think I will go back to my home town next weekend for the first time in about 10 years and race the Ramsay Lake Half Marathon in Sudbury. It's a hilly loop course..which should be a perfect test prior to my A race on September 21st. it will be nice to see old friends... Have a great day..everyone Tall ---Will try to post a few pics of my day later...

Recent Best times: None recently

Happy Birthday DARK HORSE!! Good morning everyone.........no run yet today........slept awful on my one night off, had crazy dreams all night..........getting ready to move #3 son into his dorm, will have brunch there with him then hopefully can get a run in this afternoon altho my lower back is feeling pretty stiff this morning - if that continues i'm going to change plans and hit the gym - we'll have to see...........ok - off to college!! HAPPY SATURDAY!! Big grin

denise

5 miles on the treadmill at 8:24 mile pace. Thanks for the nice birthday wishes. Smile Last night Dark Colt and I went to the Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Dark Horse
                        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                          6.2 beautiful miles w/DW @10:15 pace. Tim it sounds like you have planned a nice day Cool PDR I wish I had one of those muffins. Lou remember to chew & breathe Roll eyes Dicky I dropped $5 on the road for you a few days ago, do you find it? I agree, I'm tired of the negative poitical (Presidential) ads that are half or no truth.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthdy Darkhorse! Out for another 8 miler today. Felt really sickly last night - but it ws from eating too much I think. The run felt pretty good until the very last part of the last mile when I got a stomach cramp. Now I feel fine again. Not really looking forward to 18 tomorrow. Yikes! 10:44 avg. pace / 160 avg. hr DH is out salmon fishing today. I hope he catches one!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

I rode my bike down to the rail trail (about 20-25 minutes), ran 8 miles, and then biked home. Best damn run in over 2 years.

Happy Birthday Dark Horse! Nice photos of you and Dark Colt too. 15 miles for me this morning at 7:20--Dr. J and Canada J ran up to my house since they wanted to do 20 and I only wanted 15. I have a race on Monday and I am sort of tapering. It was a nice run and I caught up on the drop-off at school stories. Dr. J's son is now at Pratt Institute of Art in NYC and hasn't called all week (well he sent a text message to his mother last night). Canada J's daughter is at Rollins in Winter Park, FL where many of the freshman activities were delayed because of Hurricane Fay. Her daughter has called every night this week. Dr. J is running the Philly marathon and Canada J is doing the Marine Corps Marathon, so we also did our fair share of comparing aches and pains. Here is a photo of Canada J in her water skiing days. She is so modest and we all didn't even know she was a world champion until just a few years ago. She didn't even tell us----one of her kids told us she was being inducted into the world water skiing hall of fame. Cool. http://www.waterski-wakeboard.ca/hof/judymesser.htm Dr. J's birthday is 9/3 and then Canada J on 9/6 and then my birthday on 9/11. We joked about trying to get together to celebrate but the only time we really take together is for long runs. Our long run next weekend may have to be in birthday hats! Ribs! You are doing so well and I am so happy for you that you are off the meds and walking strong. Congrats! Happy Saturday all Karin