Masters Running

Sunday Masters Running and Life :-) (Read 450 times)

Renee the dog

Hey folks -- got my 10 miles in this morning.  Yea!  Back into double digits finally.  And, I got it done just before the thermometer popped to 80ºF!  So it was "coolrunning."

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Heading to the beach now...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I planned on 15.25 miles this morning.  Woke up very early to a tough morning of 82° and 65%.  So I just ran easy to get the miles in.  Got to 14 miles, felt okay, so decided to add a few miles and ended up withy 17.2 miles at 9:31 pace.  Slow but steady, and the HR stayed down nicely except the last couple.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

I wish I could say the same Bill......I've really been struggling to get my long runs in.

I needed to be here at work early this morning so I knew I'd be pressed to get a 2 hr run in. The humidity was killing me......I didn't even get to double digits today....Ugh !

Nono,

Ahhh the beach   I went Friday with DW and had great time. Wish we lived a little closer so we could go more often.

Bill,

Just getting in the miles is all that is need especially in the HH. Great job!

Slo,

Give yourself a few weeks to get back in the swing. You have had a rough month or so.

10 miles this morning under cloudy skies.although I was dripping sweat by the third mile the heat did not build so it was pretty comfortable. 79 degrees and 60% but not bad. 1:36:06 so 9:40s pace. I'll take it right now.

Great runs for all who follow

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

...I actually

inteded to reflect on The Meaning of Life this morning......

but it rained on me and I forgot.

=======

..........25min HH run..........80s.......

..sudden downpour slicked up the trails and I slowed to my DogSledPaddingStride

......it wasn't pretty

but I didn't fall down

...................................good running guys.............try to Reflect if it doesn't make you fall down....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning.

I just managed to get in my run before it got hot.   However I see that it is already 92 degrees to not really cool.  However the start was more like 84 degrees.    Anyway, I did manage to get in 11.6 miles that finishes off my week nicely.

I am  glad that Dave had the opportunity to open my cancelled daily yesterday.   Everything has a purpose. 

Glad to hear that Tom got through his medical testing so well.

Good runs to all.   Have a great Sunday.

Joey

Vista

This morning I was fortunate to meet up with CNY Karin for a long run, before it got too hot. We had planned to do a fast-finish long run, but were both a little too poached at the halfway point to really surge...it was pretty steamy out.

Nevertheless, Karin's excellent company, and reeeeeeeeeeeeal strong...we ended up with 17.75 miles at 8:22 m/m....a few minutes under 2:30.

Walt

who should get out to the shop but who's gonna nap pretty hard

Dave59

Good day everyone.  I guess if there is a good time to be injured, doing it during the hot, humid days of July is a good choice.  I would be stir crazy if I was wasting the beautiful fall weather.  Sorry to read about all your sufferings out there.

I am notorious for wasting time.  Even in kindergarten I received "N" for unsatisfactory on my report card for "using my free time wisely."  But I don't spend all my time clicking refresh on forum threads.  Some of it is spent watching Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go with my granddaughter.  I know enough Spanish now to count to 10, say - open, close, up, down, stop, please, thank-you, let's go, and call for help.

Last fall/winter, I read, "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer Adler.  I think it was the best thing I ever read.  It's challenge was to read books that are above you, to stretch you.  After that, I gave one of the books on his list a whirl - "Confessions" by Augustine.  And now I have picked up a book that I tossed aside at about page 40 because I was struggling in it.  I decided to pick it back up this weekend and apply my new training.  It's probably not anything well known, "The way of the (modern) world" by Craig M Gay.  It's still a bit of a struggle but I am trying to apply Adler's principles.

So, if I'm not improving my fitness, hopefully I am at least improving my mind.  And I get to do that in a comfy chair in an air conditioned house.

Looks like everyone is having a great Sunday run...'cept Tom.  I can't remember the last time I got rained on while running. 

No No Great breaking back into double digits. 

Nice run Bill

Walt 8:22 for 17 is sweet.

I had a good run today, got in a 20 miler running under 9:00 pace.  The humidididity is effecting my speed.  I've slowed down by 20 seconds or so off my pace.  I also had a PR distance for weekly total of 67 miles.  Woohoo!

I was slogging along soaked and dripping with sweat at mile 16 when two masters runners passed me.  I picked up my pace  a bit and ran the last 4 miles with them.  It was nice to have a pacer and some casual conversation.  By mile 18 I started the real training.  It's not about heart rate, leg speed, breathing or pace...mental toughness.  A certain stuborness...I guess. 

I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now...Forrest Gump

I look my best blurry!

Hi there!  Life is so busy.  I just can't get to this daily.  We brought our niece back with us from NC.  Trying to get caught up from vacation and have some fun with her.

Lots of great double digit and long runs today!  Woo Hoo to nono!  Diver-20 good ones!  Breger, Halla, Walt, CYN-run run run!!!  Good job!

Slo- don't worry.  You are going to be fine.  

Tom- my favorite rain running song is "Please Don't Stop the Rain" by James Morrison (not Jim M)  I love running in the rain.  Especially during this hot weather!

I've been nursing a pretty sore shin.  Today I ran 3.5 on an indoor track, 20 min recumbent bike, 25 min elliptical, and a plethora of other form drills and core exercises.  A very well rounded workout, I must say.  

Nono- Have fun at the beach!  I'm stuck inland chillin' by the pool!  

I'm hoping to do a 2hr run tomorrow(or Tues).  Fingers crossed I feel up to it.  

Evan, congrats on the 8k PR.  craneium, neat vacation pictures.  Tammy, good job on your 10K trail race.

There have sure been some nice long runs for lame, Aamos, mariposai, nono, breger, hallar, vista, Walt and CNY together, and diver (with a weekly mileage PR).

This morning, it was in the low 60s and almost calm.  I got in 4 miles in about 37:30 for a 9:23 pace.  This included 3 laps of the hs track at faster than usual pace separated by laps at a slow pace.  The "fast" laps were 1:49, 1:55, and 1:52.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Even in kindergarten I received "N" for unsatisfactory on my report card

“N”?  Am I missing something here?  

Lots of great running out there in the H&H today....

Diverdoc – congratulations on your PR for weekly mileage!  As well as your speedy H&H 20-miler.

Walt and CNYrunner – you two speedy runners compliment each other wonderfully – very nice run today!

Being an early morning runner, I look at the outside temp. every morning when I get up, and I must admit (although you will never hear me complain about the heat) that it is unusual for there to be such a long stretch of 70-something temps at 5am here, as it has been most of the last 7-8 weeks.  Usually even in the peak of summer it will still be high 60’s before dawn.  The humidity, though, well that’s just a given in the Miami Valley…

The plan today was to get 20 miles in, with no worries about pace.  Good thing, too, because about 2 miles into my run I began to have digestive difficulties.  Okay, let’s just be honest here, I had the runs on my run.  I had to stop at every portopotty I came across (4) on the river path and a couple patches of woods, too.  Plus stops at the 7 water fountains I passed as well.  But I got the run in, and managed to avoid having an embarrassing accident.  Barely.

20 miles in 72° - 82° and 93%.  Ave running pace (not counting the stops) for the first 18 miles was 10:07, but the last two miles were abysmally slow as the wheels came off and I took some walk breaks.  Wait, maybe we can call that Cool Down miles…..  Mostly, though, I'm just grateful I was able to get out there and run at all....

Then lunch and 1.5 hours at the pool, which included 45 minutes of pool running and swimming and general water play with the kids, followed by a nap.  (aaahhhhhh)

Now I’m enjoying a cup of coffee while the smell of the carnitas simmering fills the house, contemplating doing some yardwork (the weeds are threatening to take over the house), before I settle down to watch a couple episodes of Glee with the kids.  (I checked out Season One from the library.)

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Hi everybody Smile       

Today is really busy so just time to post...  

14.01 miles which went much better than last week's sucky 12.  That's a bit of a relief!    av. pace 10:08, not counting 1 pit stop, 2 water stops, 1 water + gu stop.   ahr 163, max 182, last mile 9:51 which was the fastest by a little.

thanks for all the drinking tips!   Tet, your method is wonderful.   tried it twice. another benefit... clean nasal passages.

Amy... I've been alternating water & straight from the bottle powerade to try to get used to it... do you mix them on the run??      so happy Dan can race at Twin Cities!

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some excellent long runs today! Nice double digits, Nono.  I'm finally  back in double digits myself, after my vacation.  Byll, great that you felt strong enough to add another 2 miles to your run today. Walt and Karin, I'm jealous that you guys got to run together!  Of course, there's no way I could keep up with either of you... 

Diverdoc, great 20 miler, and weekly PR! Holly, glad you had lots of bathrooms and water fountains on your 20 miler today - way to git 'er done.  I hope our library gets Glee - I'd love to see it.  Dg, congrats on a great 14 miler that wasn't sucky like last week's run!

Dave, enjoy that AC today.  I was glad I was injured during a bad time to run, also - Jan and Feb. 

I got up early and ran 3 miles around the neighborhood with the dogs - it was only 55° at 7:30.  But then when I came home to drop the dogs off, DH and DD had gotten up early too, and wanted to go hiking before it got too hot, so we all went over to the local state park and hiked a steep 2.5 mile loop.  They came home, and I ran another 7.1 miles on the park trails.  By the time I was done, it was in the mid 70's and sunny, but there was a breeze so it was OK.  I carried water, and refilled it at one of the picnic areas.  So a total of 10.1 running and 2.5 hiking, although actually a lot of the 7.1 trail miles were hiking too, as the trails are very steep.  So I logged it in as 12.6 miles.   I'm thinking of signing up for a half in August.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

thanks for all the drinking tips!  

So margaritas at your house next weekend?  And we can count on you to stay upright whilst slugging 'em back?

Great runs to you folks.  I don't envy you your weather conditions.  Holly, I had a close call toward the end of my run this a.m.  Had to stop and compose myself a few times.  What the heck did ya eat last night??

10 miles this a.m. in about 1:43.  Walked a little bit the last half hour, but that's okay.  The first 5 went by fast.  Faster than I anticipated.  All in all, a good run . . . . . . in overcast, cool temps.  I was actually getting cold toward the end. . . . . Sorry.  Had to include that.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance