Masters Running

Friday 2/1/19 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA celebrates business growth and an anniversary with 3.5 zippy miles on the treadmill in the Am and 2 in the PM.

Coastwalker pulls the pin on snow blowing. He also celebrates with his own 5.2 RW miles.

Dave59 is on a slow mend.

AnneB checks in with dreams of sealing the deal.

Joe618 sees the dawning of the age of Aquarius on his way into work. He knocks out 5 on the work treadmill.

HollyS freezes 4 on the treadmill. I bet the performance was spectacular.

Twocat has 45 min on the elliptical and headaches with the household. Ugh. It's always a uneasy feeling when repairs need to be down.

Tramps enjoys a brisk 10K.

Fatozzig gets in a star gazing 20 minutes.

Mrrun shows a picture on her DH with a stone cold goddess.

Henrun knocks six miles out of the park! Sarasota style.

The most Esteemed Mr. (heavy on the Mr.) Tom White checks in. I feel for you regarding your back issues.

Bioguy gets in three miles frosty ones in. I told one instructor that I would take his class again. That was good enough for a passing grade.

Wildchild digs herself out and logs 7.7 miles. I'm very sorry to hear about the plow.

Surly Bill checks in with an EZ 4.

MikE has a pain but still gets in 7 on the treadmill.

Falconfixer enjoys another 5+ miles.

Steve - did you do any school, Fourth-of-July races, etc. races in those days?

Not until my 30s.

Tetsujin209 checks in.

Evanflein gets in 5.5 with a wind chill.

I got 4.5 on the treadmill before work. The drivers that have made it in the week have been mentally burned out. A couple of them were plain jerks or dumb. I got onto snow removal when I got home. It's not bad, but the novelty has worn off.

SteveP

bioguy

Steve- I teach in a small school. Graduating class typically around 140 students. I often have kids three times- intro bio, AP Bio, physics, or Forensic Science. Nice to wathc them grow up and apply/get accepted to college. Sometimes I'm really lucky and they stay in touch.

Tailwinds!

bioguy

Just curious- anyone run in Altras? Any insights/opinions?

Joe618

Mornin' all and Happy February!!   Nice to get one month knocked out of the way already. 

Weather forecast was not too accurate and a) we got 3" of snow overnight and b) it was 11F this morning, not the predicted 18F.   So, rather than run early, I got out and cleaned the snow off the driveway.   I'll likely run later but not sure where.

Great recap, Steve.   I strongly suspect you and I grew up with the same music...enjoy your allusions to songs of (now) long ago.

Have a greta Friday, all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve. I certainly understand about the 'novelty' of snow clearing wearing off. Hopefully the coming warm-up will give you a break from that duty.

Sorry, Bioguy - I've never been in a pair of Altras.

Good job on the snow-clearing cross-training, Joe.

Nice photo, Henrun, with interesting glove storage option. Funny comment, Marj!

Very sorry about the ongoing back woes, Tomwhite.

Fatozzig, I hate to say it, but you are fortunate to have that secretary gone before she did more damage. I don't know her, but based on your descriptions, I'd be surprised if she changes her ways - and I hope I'm wrong for her sake and her new employer's as well.

Good luck with the truck, Wildchild.

Gotta love those grade-grubbers, eh, Bioguy? OK, maybe not.

KSA, I also like what Joe said yesterday about how you established yourself and worked yourself into your current job. Good stuff.

I woke up in the middle of the night and felt my foot throbbing a bit. It didn't last, but I sure didn't like it. I was born with a mildly 'fallen arch' on my right foot, and have dealt with it without issue till recently. Now I'm in new orthotics, am wearing an ankle brace all day more and more frequently, and have been icing that foot/ankle after most workouts to reduce frequent swelling. It has become more than an annoyance. So I've decided to pass on the race on Sunday out of fear that I would either be a DNF or would do more damage. And there'll probably be a visit with an orthopod in my near future. So it goes.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

The performance last night was amazing - Chinese classical dance, music and acrobats.  We got home late, though, and since I work from home on Fridays I slept in a little longer.  Plus an early-morning snowstorm dumped another 4-5 inches off snow on us, so schools are closed again.  12 degrees and blowing snow does not make me want to leave the house, and the plows haven't yet found our street anyway.  If I take my little Hyundai down our hill, I won't make it back up with the roads as they are right now.

So, I'm going to hop on the TM for a few miles and then get started on my workday.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Steve, and good morning everyone!  3.6 treadmill miles.  I should have gone outside (42 degrees) but there was a high percentage of showers and I chickened out.  I don't know what my deal is with this not going outside stuff.  It didn't rain....  Anyway, caught up on some TV.

I don't want anyone to think I was gracious at all about my career issues in 2011.  I was terrified and pissed.  I would pull up in the parking lot at the contract job and say to myself, "I can go in today.  Paycheck!"  It wasn't that people weren't nice-  it was just that I really wasn't part of the "team" since I was contract and it was a small department.  Gradually I got exposed to more people and made some friends.  My boss (wonderful person) out of desperation, put me on a committee about bring your own device (phones) and the meeting was in another building which I didn't even have access to with my badge since I was contract.  I was thrilled!  It was like a business trip to go 3 blocks down the street!   Smile      Anyway, today I am fighting hard for promotions for 2 people on my staff and I'm going to be as excited to tell them about it (if it goes through) as I as when I got my permanent position. (well, maybe not quite)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Jay, that foot matter sounds well past the normal "niggle" sort of things we all feel a lot.   You are wise to recognize it as such and see what can be done.    Yet, don't you hate not doing a race which has been on the schedule??   Hope you can get some insight to what is going on.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Joe--I saw the same scene in the sky, this morning...although I did not know it was Venus and Jupiter...I did, however, correctly identify the moon.

Jay--what Joe said.  Be careful.

Tom--I hope you see some improvement soon. Seems like this one's taking a long time to settle down. (Does anyone "bide" anything besides time?)

Holly--sounds like a nice change-of-pace evening.

Carolyn--Hope you're able to get the truck going. That does not sound like fun.

Henry--congrats on the long run. I loved the picture and will steal that line ("Oh no, that's not a beer belly, those are my gloves.")

Speaking of beer bellies. I need to lose some weight. I decided to give myself January to recover from the too-many holiday gifts of chocolate and cookies and beer and whatnot. But now it's February; time to get serious.....well maybe after Super Bowl Sunday. 

Did my 5K.  About 10 degrees warmer than yesterday for a comfortable 19F with minimal wind.  Should be able to ride this weekend as the warm-up continues.

Have a great weekend. (Go Pats!)

Be safe. Be kind.

Just curious- anyone run in Altras? Any insights/opinions?

I had the original Olympus. I didn't have any problems. I tried out the Lone Peak when they came out, but they would not hold my foot from sliding over the side of the midsole on side slopes. Wouldn't be an issue for road shoes. I recall there were quality control problems, and I had to go look at 3 pairs of shoes AT THE STORE to find a pair that didn't have stitching coming out or the tongue sewn in at an angle or something. One pair even had visibly different fabric on the upper. Blems like this should never have been shipped to a retail store. They have probably tightened up QC since then, this was many years ago.

The other thing was they ran short, you'd have to get a 1/2 to whole size larger so your toes wouldn't hit the end.

For people not wanting to go zero drop, just put a 3/4 length insole under the factory insole to make it a 4-8mm drop. I might try their road shoes again in the near future.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Jay-  boo on the foot.  I hope you can get it figured out!

Altras-  I ran in them a lot going back about 4 or 5 years but I found the sizing to be uneven, and they did run short and sort of loose (realizing they have a wide toe box, which I liked).  In the last few years I felt their quality and sizing was very uneven.  I think Topo makes a much better zero drop shoe-  better quality and fit and still the wide toe box.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe, I stopped the car coming out of my sub yesterday to snap a photo of that alignment and later posted it on Facebook. Something about it being -12F at the time made the sky super-clear.

We barely dodged a bullet this week when the compressor station that supplies 2/3 (!) of the natural gas to lower Michigan had an explosion and fire, making them scramble to supply enough gas to everyone on a day when we broke a 100-year-old temperature record! Most big factories and other businesses voluntarily shut down, and about 11PM Tuesday night they used the wireless emergency system -- the one they send out Amber Alerts on -- to get everyone's attention and ask them to set their thermostats down. It worked and they've recovered, but I can't imagine people getting their heat shut off in sub-zero weather. Sort of wakes you up to the fragility of the infrastructure...

Went to the gym intending to do a good workout on the TM, but had absolutely nothing and called it after barely a mile. I did salvage the trip by going ahead with a round of weights, but hope my running mojo is back by Sunday when I'll actually be able to run outside again (predicted mid-30s).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

today the temps finally broke here, so it's in the 70's (ksa - you chose the wrong week).  walked around naturalist park called the 'celery fields' because that's what they used to be.  there's a naturalist who helps to identify and find birds as well as huge telescopes set up.  we saw immature eagles, blue heron, lesser bitter and others.

hope jlynne is ok - haven't heard from her since the vortex started.

jay - take care of your ankle.

steve - thx for the great start as usual

sorry about the snow and cold that's sticking around for you.

holly - i've always been curious about shen yuen (sp?) but have never gone

marj

Thanks for the recap Steve-O.

20 mins and about a half mile at a little bit faster than leisurely pace, but not a "you're being an idiot" pace by any stretch.  Although, the distance may have been a bit too long.  Something is irritating the heck outta the - um - crotch area where I've had issues in the past.  It's definitely nerve stuff, and I think it's the hip rotation exercise I'm doing to try and loosen up my right hip.  We'll see what my PT has to say about all of it.

I don't have a beer belly going, but I have a "I've been laying around on my back / sitting around on my butt for weeks and have been eating like I'm not sitting around on my butt" belly, and last night, after a birthday party dinner, I said enough is enough.  I have to get back on track.

Someone gave The Hub 3 crab yesterday.  He cooked them when he got home from work and, since he's not working today, he gets to clean them.  I love crab but I absolutely hate cleaning them.  . . . . somehow I think some of the cats may try to get involved . . .

So last night at the birthday party (just 6 of us), one of the ladies announced she had accepted a position at the DA's Office.  Then she said "Steve" from the CAST office had tried to lure her in because they're desperate for someone to transcribe their interviews.  I've transcribed numerous CAST interviews for the PDs office.  BINGO!  She's going to give him my contact information.  Keeping fingers crossed he's willing to look at a contract person as opposed to an employee, which would cost them a lot less.

Okay - Tons to do and no time to continue to dally.

It's Friday - ENJOY~~

MTA - My boss just came in and reminded me that we needed to continue to be sweetness and light in the face of our secretary leaving.  I said, "Does that mean I can't be my usual sarcastic self??"  Him (with a smile): "Yes."   Dang it!  That's like asking me to type with one hand behind my back! 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..40-min PoolRun/shoes nb....

the Big Trick

is actually

getting out of the pool and standing up.............slight twinge but Nothing Electric happened....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....