Masters Running

Winter Running in Alaska (Read 409 times)

evanflein

My run today was fun, and really showed how our temperature inversions work. The trailhead at the top of the hill (about 1900 ft) was about -5 and windy. Actually, it felt pretty nice when I got out of the car! I'm protected from the wind on this trail for the most part, with just a few exposed areas to keep me from overheating. I wear: a wool vest I got in New Zealand that is excellent as a first layer; a long-sleeved tech-tee shirt, a winter-weight long sleeved tech-tee, Brooks tights, Hind "arctic" pants, smartwool socks, polypro gloves, Brooks mitts, balaclava, neck gaitor, headband and blinky light on the back. I always feel like I struggle on the snow-machine chewed bike paths, but I think I look pretty good on this video segment, almost mile 7. DH said the car thermometer read -18F at this point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pjyptCUys Here's a still shot And at the end, 9.3 miles from the start. The only thing that got cold on me was my eyes... I couldn't keep them open! And for those doubters here's the temp at the finish... And for Enke and other Celsius fans...
      Wow! Another concrete example of just how amazing you are, Erika! I was actually thinking of you last night after I read your post, as a good friend of mine is in Alaska, for the first time in the winter, right now. She left Philly early last week to visit her daughter in San Diego and then went to Alaska to visit her son. She said it was -28 in his town last Tuesday, and we agreed that we couldn't even begin to imagine what air that cold would feel like. She thought that she and DH may well spend all four days in the hotel. Not sure whether those greta pics of you running would have encouraged her, or whether the ice on your eyelashes would have scared her into staying in So Cal! Thanks for the beautiful pics. "Fun," she says! Shocked And I still hesitate to run when it's below 30 here! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

evan, I don't know what to say other than, "WOW". TomS
        Dutchie42

oh jeez! And here I am complaining for having to run in -4C, which is unusually cold for us and I probably don't have the right gear to run in since my butt and thighs did not warm up for hours after my run (and shower). Erika: you're my hero.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Marathon Maniac #957

Brrrrr!!!!!! You are made of tough stuff! The hardest parts for me would be 1) the battle within just to get me outside and, 2) that point around mile 4 or 5 where I really have to go to the bathroom. That's definitely NOT the kind of weather where you want to drop your drawers behind a tree.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

You're my hero. We all have to lose that "it's too cold out" excuse. Spareribs
                Wow, I can't even imagine, Erika. Right now here it's 86°F warmer, and it'll get even warmer than that by the time I get out there. (Too warm for "winter" running, actually) P.S. I had a little trouble with the link in the original post so here it is in case anyone needs it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pjyptCUys

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Nah. This is not for me. It takes way too long to get dressed. Wink You are one hardy and strong young lady Erika. I'll be curious to see what you think of the other extreme when you come to Disney and it's 100 degrees warmer. I'd never even heard of a temperature inversion till you started talking about them. Blush Brrrrr Byll

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

That's just awesome!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Prince of Fatness

Wow, you are hard core! I'd like to think I would do that, but alas, it never gets that cold here. Actual temperatures might get below zero a few times a season. Plenty of wind chill though. When it gets cold here and I am debating whether to go out, I'll think of this thread. That will help get me out the door. Well done!

Not at it at all. 

huskydon

Erika, You are just one tuff lady! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. No doubt, you really love to run!

Hill Runner

ERika...That kind of weather would either drive me to use a treadmill exclusively or turn me from a runner into a couch potato... Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

flatland mountaineer

Kewl or cold rather Smile I love my ski goggles for winter runs.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Tramps

Shocked

Be safe. Be kind.

TheSaint

I don't own nearly enough clothes to make running in that kind of weather possible. You're one brave woman.