Masters Running

Sunday Snow, Ice and Runs? (Read 488 times)

Maybe the weather has kept everyone indoors this morning. I could only manage two slow slippery miles at an easy 10:20 pace. I knew I was in trouble when I slid down our driveway just trying to get to the road. There wasn't any traffic so I ran down the middle of the street. Still, I could never get a comfortable pace. This front is supposed to pass through and the temps are going to drop. -10 predicted for tonight/tomorrow. Just the way I like it. Big grin To those running in winter conditions, have a safe Sunday, and good luck to our racers today.
      yikes jlynne -- sounds scary out there!! after taking a nap in the gym parking lot this morning i finally went inside and did 3.3 miles on the treadmill in 31 minutes then 5 sets walking lunges at top incline......stretched and am going to bed now!! need to get some sleep then 5pm mass before going back into work tonight!! have a glorious sunday!!

denise

Hill Runner

Good morning girls Jlynne...take it easy out there. I'm Posting yesterday's run. 7.4 miles of hills @ 8:41 pace after painting the Den...more painting later this morning, then I'll head out for a run in the afternoon today. The weather for Thunder Road yesterday was perfect and I kick myself for not running it as a training run for Boston :-( Good luck to the racers today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

DickyG

Professional Santa Jonathan Bebbington, 47, of Vineland, NJ, was playing Santa at a PetSmart for a charity event when a cat bit him, sparking a flurry of concern for whether Santa would need rabies shots. Bebbington was posing with animals for a fundraiser when the owner, Christine Haughey of Egg Harbor, NJ brought the large cat into the store on a leash and harness. Just after a photographer snapped a picture, the cat sunk its teeth into Beggington's hand and wrist several times, drawing blood. The cat, Tramps, insisted he bit Bebbington because "I just get sick and tired of all these fake Santa's everywhere...you wear the beard, you better be geared to get speared." Feeling a little better...at least I can drag myself up to the computer..sorting through the last few days dailies... Deb: Looks like we got sick about the same time..hope you're better...unfortunately, I infected Queen Pam who I now have to cater to...she ain't such a great patient. All my life, my hero has always been Arnold Palmer...no more...my new hero is Tet. The guy runs about one day every other month, completes marathons...barefoot...surrounds himself with gorgeous women, and looks great in red. Walt: Yeah...watching the CNN clips of the icestorm in the northeast...looks absolutely awful..Tramps will be up there in a few minutes with his chainsaw...I'm sending up a wheelbarrow to haul wood & one of those electric car doorlock de-icers. Holly: Puppy's pics are extra cool.. Perch: Good info on the HRM...I'm not sure I'm trusting the readings I'm getting on mine. Mary: Your Saturday 11-miler was terrific...plowing through under those rotten conditions.. Leslie: A big congrats on the 7 mile trail run...in those conditions. I don't see how you finished. Timbo: Another 6 weeks off? Well, a few days ago, you were thinking 6 months...hang in there. I figured if Deb could do a run, so could I..went over to local track to avoid any hills...also would be able to quit if I really felt bad. Managed 3 slow miles...got a little winded but worked up a sweat. That gives me a whopping total of 11 miles for the week. The tiny remote chance I had to hit 1,000 for the year is now down the tubes but there's always next year. DickyG
          dg.

oh, DickyGerm... me & my big mouth. I hope you're ok. I don't really know if my run set me back, but right now I look like one of those people on a NyQuil commercial. (do they still make those?) .. you know, when some kindly spouse parent roommate drugs the sickie up quick so they will pass out & no one will have to look at them? um, does Queen Pam need some? Wink Just so you can get some rest, of course. nice to have you back. did not do my LR. if it wasn't for Tim I'd rant a bit. sounds like the best weather in quite a while... although it might have been pretty icy. 37F!! I haven't missed one since the end of June, & then, I sort of couldn't walk. did consider it, (running) while I was splat flat in bed working up energy to drink my tea. this is temporary, we have electricity & heat, all is good. please forgive the rant. it slipped in under my radar. Jeanne, you're tough. glad you didn't wipe out. Denise, good for you. Peter & DG, nice runs.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...see if my keyboard cooperates this morning. Boy, am I sore after yesterdays 3.5 hour adventure at the Y...but a good sore. Glad you were carefull out there Jlynne...way to tough it out in those conditions tough girl. Nice workout there denise, after your nap...I don't know how well I could sleep in my car. As always, nice run Peter...do you ever get tired of hills? Yeah DickyG, I always wonder myself how someone - tet - can run once a month or not at all, then run a Marathon....he's a freak, lol. Way to atleast get out there and get 3 miles in...bet it made ya feel better, huh. Oh dg, don't worry about me....rant away...I do it all the time. Hope you feel better soon. Well off to Wally World. I would say do something really nice for someone today. But the last time I said that, it cost me over three hundred dollars, lol.. Have a greta day all. T BO

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I feel for you slippery surface runners... careful out there.. but it's gotta be better than the dreadmill! Peter.. that would have been a good idea.. wish I had of thought of it too! Another Bloody Good run.. forgot to put stuff (little round clear bandaids) on my nipples Shocked so when I was done I noticed a big stain of blood running down the front of my shirt.. must have impressed the neighbors Roll eyes .. geesh. But the run was good.. I've been trying to figure out why running has been so good this week. It wasn't the Holiday Inn Express because I was at home last night. Maybe it was the nice hard tempo runs Tues and Friday.. could be. Or.. was it the Yuengling Lager. I had a Yuengling Lager each night before each good run (which is new for me).. yup that must be it! Today.. 2 miles with Tory at 9:22 pace then 15 hilly miles at 8:09 pace Overall 17 mi in 2:21:12 (8:22 pace, AHR 155). Focussed on slow controlled deep breathing and arms at side moving very little with concentration on leg power. This worked great up hills to beath slowly while pushing the legs (vs gasping out of breath). Hit 2500 miles today exactly for 2008 so far..

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – I don’t blame you a bit. I hate slippery footing. Denise – you just crack me up with your parking lot naps, but I know you really need them with those graveyard nursing shifts. DickyG – glad you’re feeling a little better. Dg – you made a wise choice. Now REST TODAY! (please) Timbo – I hope that wasn’t overdoing it, after the surgery on the vein. Be careful. Perch - congratulations on hitting 2500 for the year! 16 miles total today, with a 13.15 mile wave run outside – miles 3, 5, 7, and 9 at 8:44, 8:34, 8:38, 8:42, ave pace 10:01 for the run – followed by 2.85 slow miles on the TM (10:31) to finish. While 38 degrees felt very pleasant, the 20-30mph winds were a royal pain, especially during my fast miles, since the winding path I was on seemed to continually head into the wind at one diagonal or the other. Miles 9, 10, and 11 were so much of a direct battle with wind that I turned home earlier than intended and finished on the TM. When I plug in my finishing time from my most recent race (Thanksgiving 5-miler) into the RunningTimes calculator (McMillan’s wouldn’t come up for me), my current MP is projected at 9:26 and my current HM pace is 8:53. (bleh, last year it was 8:45 and 8:15) Does that mean that my Wave miles are too fast?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I had a Yuengling Lager each night before each good run (which is new for me).. yup that must be it!
                    First, it was the "Magical Healing Miles". Now it's a "Yuengling Lager". I like how this is progressing. I'm becoming more and more of a Perch running diciple. Big grin
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Holly - I wouldn't worry about your Thanksgiving race being too slow -- aren't you still building after being off for an injury? (sorry if I got that wrong). perchcreek! Yes, the beer definitely helps Big grin And 2500/year -- wow! 4.1 miles today after yesterday's medium long run -- 33:54, 8:19/mi, AHR 146 Brewing up an english pale ale today -- somehow we can't keep that style in the house because somebody is a hop-head Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Walt—I didn’t get to the daily thread yesterday, otherwise I would have been happy to help you chop wood yesterday. No, really. Actually, I did think about you yesterday since I spent the day in my garage doing a couple of mock-ups of possible kitchen cabinet door designs. Tim—I know it’s all relative, but that did sound like some encouraging news you got. Erika—more miles than degrees! Awesome. Sorry for all of you suffering snow/ice/frigid temps/slippery running surfaces. Dicky—mean cat; good name. Perch—ouch. That hurts in the shower afterward. 2500 Magical Lager Miles! Holly—nice 16-miler! Hope the White Rock crowd has a good day. Ran a good race today which I was going to post here but I think I’ll make it a separate RR.

Be safe. Be kind.

Jlynne, I had similar conditions this morning. It sure slows you down. Better slow on my feet than fast on my butt I guess. Black eye Tim, Good news finally. 6 weeks will get you to the end of January which with a slow build up still gives you time for a 20 miler or 2 before Seattle. Good luck to you friend. DickyG, Feeling better is good. Giving it to others is not so good. Wink Just kidding but my wife is suffering from the dreaded mess and I am hoping to avoid it. Whats my chances? Blasted mistletoe anyway. Big grin Perch 2500 miles ! You are a running machine and I plan on following your training schedule ( the good beer part anyway) Congratulations. Holly and Erika, You two come back from injuries so quickly. I suppose all that pool running and cross training works. I on the otherhand take much longer to build back up. If I went out like you two I would be right back on the DL. I bow down humbly. 7.25 slippery miles that took forever, 1:15:00 ish , Temps in the high 30s but all the ice on the walks and streets made for a comical sight I am sure. Especially going down hill in one direction while twirlling my arms in the opposite direction. Fun run anyway. I am finally starting to get back . Fun runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, glad to hear the somewhat better news from the new doc! That was a loooong workout you did yesterday! Perch and Holly, nice long runs today! Larry, glad you're back at it! I'm gonna have to wuss out and head to the rec center indoor track today... we got 6" of new snow and it's 4 degrees now, with the high predicted to get all the way to 7. Erika, I don't know how you manage it.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Perfect morning here Smile 34F & clear roads after it warmed up over night from 26-34 & is still rising. Nice 6.8 hilly miles group run at 10:00 pace with fast last half mile. Jlynne be careful out there slippery roads & cars don't mix well w/running Dee napping in the car after night turn so you can run on the treadmill that's dedication. Nice runs Perch & Holly Well wishes to all the sick & injuried Sad Better days are coming!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Nice picture, Tramps. Yeah, I look a little bit like that... Carolyn, you gotta remember that I spend a LOT of time on the treadmill in the cozy comfort of my basement. But if I can possibly help it, I run outside on the weekends. I don't like running in the dark... even with the headlamp it's hard to really judge the footing, and there are so many moose around here this time of year. So... I grab whatever daylight I can, dress in LOTS of layers and head on out. Yesterday's run was really pretty nice except for all the slippery road crossings and intersections I had to navigate. Those sure brought the avg pace down... I'm hoping for less traffic today. JLynne, take care in that ice. You too Walt. Falling on ice is so dangerous! A friend of my sister's fell on ice under new snow in his work parking lot. Broke the femoral head of his left leg and will be off his foot completely for 6 weeks and on crutches for another 4 weeks after that. Oy, can you say Workman's Comp claim?? Holly, are you training for a race coming up? You've been doing a lot of 15+ milers so just wondering... Larry, yes, XT really does make a difference. And although I complain about how mind-numbingly boring it is, I swear by (and at) pool running as a rehab activity. I figure if it's good enough for Deena, it's certainly good enough for me! Hoping to get 18 miles in today, but 16 would be ok, too. It's a little warmer than yesterday but it should still be more miles than degrees. Probably two laps of the same route I did yesterday, although hoping for less traffic so the exhaust won't be so bad at the big intersections. There are two pedestrian overpasses and I stop my Garmin to climb up the stairs, cross over the road and back down the stairs, then start up running again. Not sure if that messes up the pace for the run, I hope not. I leave it on as I take little mincing steps across the icy road crossings though.