Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/20 (Read 584 times)

If at first you don't succeed, then surely skydiving is not for you.

Ev -  I agree with Cindy. I think us ladies should be the judge of who looks good shirtless and who doesn't.

Got 10 miles in this a.m. in a few seconds short of 1:50.  Happy with that as it included some power walking breaks and three climbs.  Nothing significant, but tiring from yesterday.  Also this a.m. I was sooo very happy that I wear 2 pairs of socks when running.  Was out in the middle of nowhere when "it" hit me.  I almost always carry baby wipes with me when I run this route specifically 'cause there are no bathrooms. *sigh* I had no choice in the matter.  I was about 1/4 miles from my boss' house, but when I went by it didn't look like anybody was up and moving or I'd have backtracked and begged to use their bathroom.

Also, I think my climb through the trees gave me a fairly good dosing of pollen 'cause now my eyes/nose/ears/throat are driving me nuts.  Bleh.

Off to chow on a bagel then hit Costco.  The Hub's off doing his meat smoking thing with friends, so I have the place to myself all day.  Nice.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Nice 9er in the mud, drizzle and unseasonably cool temps, actually quite pleasant. Almost 3 inches of rain for the weekend so far, the wheat is smiling. Had a good time with Jonathan and wife last nite, lots of good running talk. Too wet to work today, life is good. Have a great wknd folks!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - nice weekend overall for you, except for the unplanned stop - anyway sounds like your legs are doing lots lots better!

Joe - I think you can do better than that pic.

Jim - it's so good to hear you sounding happy!

Stumpy - re: messed up the other toe - now doesn't that just figure? Good grief.

Cindy - didn't realize you had such a big running club there, neat! We have a good group here, too, but they're mostly all so danged fast! Maybe someday I can keep up with them.

Carol - your consistency is admirable - good on you for dodging the creepy deal at the gym.

Ev - +1 on letting us be the judges.

Lowish mileage week this week as expected, oh well. BUT, had a beautiful trail run yesterday in Yosemite with friends - the waterfalls are peaking now, it's spectacular and IRC prevail.

My friend's hub has offered to pace me to a 4:00 marathon in Vegas this December (BQ time for me), I told him I don't think I'm ready, but he's...somehow....very...gently...persuasive - I think this guy could herd cats for a living. I've already been reading a lot about tempo runs and thinking about a 2011 BQ attempt....it's tempting to give it a shot.

Have a nice rest of the weekend, all!

Arla

Ex runner

My friend's hub has offered to pace me to a 4:00 marathon in Vegas this December (BQ time for me), I told him I don't think I'm ready, but he's...somehow....very...gently...persuasive - I think this guy could herd cats for a living. I've already been reading a lot about tempo runs and thinking about a 2011 BQ attempt....it's tempting to give it a shot.

Go for it, Arla!  I think if you added speed work to your routine just once a week, you would be surprised at your improvement in that regard.  You're consistency over the past year or two has been fantastic.  Now you need to step it up just . . . a . . . little - and you're in Boston.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Joe - I think you can do better than that pic.

It's a two way street my friends. Now it's someone else's turn...

I agree with Leslie, Arla , give the 4hr shot a try.What have you got to lose but your old pr. I have to commit to 2 quality workouts a week, but have been putting it off. They helped me chop off 11mins off my last real marathon.       Yosemite, mmmmm.

Leslie- smart of you to be prepared.Good weekend for you.Did you say that Karen went on a 70m weekend?!?!

Jim- good that you get to relax a bit in cooler temps.That looks like a neat little vehicle that Lynda was driving.

Ev- bet the yard looks nice. A home-owners's job is never done.

Cindy- yes, a Volvo 740 wagon, vintage 1992. She's got 218k on her and going strong. They sure know how to build them to last. Good job on your runs.

Despite hot (84*) and very humid weather today, I decided I was going to do a 20. By the beach with showers(head rinse) and a bit cooler temps. Did well for the most part and got to 19.4 @ 9:41 pace.Sapped at the end.Tired from a hot run and 2 hrs behind the mower yesterday. Rain helped on return leg but when it stopped,(off the boardwalk now and on the road) my tank felt empty. Bonk walked a half mile after 18, then ran the rest in. Gu's at 5,10,15m. Hammer v caps in between. 30oz each of Gatorade and water. My left pinky toe has a bit of a roaming blister on it and is a real mess. I'm keeping it clean, dressed and taped and figured out how to keep running on it without hitting the side of the shoe and hurting like heck. I took Leslie's idea of cutting my dress shoes and chopped a big hole on the side of a retired pair of running shoes. It works great!

Pics being a two-way street.  I don't any decent running photos, so I'll shoot you this.  Four times a year I get to dress up, and it's always at for the Saturday night banquet at Conference.

Annual Conference this past May.  L-R: Me; Kathy; my friend, Catherine, one of the three Muskateers who I always go to conference with;  Sheryl (the best baker I have ever known); Gina; and Denise, my co-worker and the other Muskateer.  Kathy's husband took this picture while we were waiting for the professional to get set up:

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good Morning or Afternoon - Depending on where you be.

Rest day for me.  Had planned on getting up and doing about half an hour of core exercises.  Got up, fed the cats, and kicked them outside (at 4:45 a.m.) and planned on sleeping 'til 6:00.  Woke up again at 7:00.  I probably could've slept for another couple of hours.  Oh well.

Have a good week, peeps ~

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Here's one from last month.That's me on the left, NaderAlfie,and the RD Flourcity.

Queen of 3rd Place

*grumble* - having problems posting a pic with Picasa.

mta: Leslie and Joe - cute pics!!!! And thanks for the encouragement. My race times indicate that I should be able to do 4 hrs, but I'm always reading that the calculators (McMillan etc.) are optimistic for the longer distances. And I've done enough of these now to know that the marathon gods are smiling on some days, and on others....well....but yeah, it's time to throw in some tempo runs and see what happens. I'm reading Daniels book and it's all starting to sink in.

Hot weather running is here! Did 12 yesterday with temps in the mid/high 90s on a sun-exposed trail with a friend who unfortunately bonked, but we finished. Poor thing really was having trouble, it really made me realize how hard the body works to cool itself when you're not acclimated - she was just huffing and puffing away at nearly 12min/mi pace, when she's usually comfortable at 10:30 or so. 

"Only" mid-80s this am!

Trying again the pic thing again....aha...here's a wave for everyone just before this morning's run (you wouldn't want to see the after pic - heh):

Ex runner

Great photos!  I think that's the first time we've seen either one of you clearly.

Joe - what run did you three participate in?  I definitely recognize the names of the other two guys.

Arla - You look so tiny!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Nice pictures!!  It's so nice to see what everyone looks like!  I'm going to have to dig into my other computer to see if I can find anything decent of me...I usually am the one holding the camera, therefore....very few of me!  I have a cpl on my fb page... Doug put them there & I don't see how to copy those..

Yay Arla! Besides persuasive, might he be good coach material? I know we have some good ones on these boards - gotta read btwn the snark & nuts but still!

I'm so distracted this am...don't know if I can put together a reasonable post... I think I'm watching too much news!

Mairead had a rough day yest...she was all kinds of wound up before we went out...then about 2.5 miles out, she started pulling over to rest...mostly walked it in from there just to get home..limping the rest of the day  we didn't go any further nor faster than we have been...I just don't know. I barely got in 90 mins of tough tough P90X yoga before the ins. adj & contractor got here to walk about & discuss our roof situation... I bailed in the middle of the "meeting" to take care of a client so, I guess we need to finish up tonight...I do get the idea that the ins co. will "help" us repair our roof...with everything that is going on out there, I guess that's something!?

Briskish 2 mile walk w/Mairead earlier this morning...will TRY to get my DVD workout done while the little ones nap...that doesn't always work so well - the nap allowing sufficient time.. 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - I've obviously missed something.  What happened to your roof?  And it's still Mairead's leg??

Joe - Over Memorial Day weekend, Karen and her sister participated in a Western States training camp to help Kate prepare for WS next weekend.  Over the three days (Sat/Sun/Mon), they ran 70 miles.  I think it was 28/22/20.  She said the last day was the hardest with regard to the legs wanting to work.  But she had a chance to run and/or meet some of the big names in trail running, which is very cool.  She wants to go back in two years and do it again, and I want to go with her.  Her training schedule leading up to it was pretty close to what I did for AR50, with 2 weekends of LRs on Fri/Sat/Sun.  Because of snow problems, she said that on the first day, their longest run between aid stations was 14 miles.

This a.m. - 30 min of stationary biking, during which I had a hard time pushing my HR past the high 130s, followed by 1 hr of core/strength.  Did some of the moves the guy was showing on that video with the stability ball.  One of them would've been a really good lower ab workout, if I could've kept the ball where it was suppose to be.

Have a good day ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Leslie - maybe I didn't mention...Spring weather around here can = high winds, hail, etc... we lost a bunch of shingles a cpl wks ago...lots of "inspectors" in the area.  DH chatted w/a cpl & set up a look see w/ins & inspectors....many folks getting some roofing done.  I was a little nervous because it really looked to me like most of our troubles were largely due to a poor job the last time around - 9 yrs ago
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Hope it goes well.  We're having to have a section of our roof replaced, as well.  Over the weekend I was in the back yard, looked up there, and was shocked to see that it looked like part of the roof was caving in.  Asked The Hub if he knew about it.  He did and it's getting fixed next week, but did he bother to say anything to me?  No.   Same with the downspouts.  Came home last week to them all gone.  Hey, thanks for letting me know.   . . . . . not that I thought anyone was stealing downspouts or something.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Leslie - maybe I didn't mention...Spring weather around here can = high winds, hail, etc... we lost a bunch of shingles a cpl wks ago...lots of "inspectors" in the area.  DH chatted w/a cpl & set up a look see w/ins & inspectors....many folks getting some roofing done.  I was a little nervous because it really looked to me like most of our troubles were largely due to a poor job the last time around - 9 yrs ago

Cindy we'll send you the local mennonite crew we use. They do quality work and won't be raiding Doug's beer fridge neither.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III