Masters Running

T.G.I. FRIDAY!!! March 19 (Read 505 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Slo - how old is your daughter?   This must be rough on her not only physically but emotionally too.   I'm sure you'll buy her a great ring!

I think Byll is an alien.

Carolyn!   That is awful about your heat and it couldn't happen while the weather was warmer, now you have a snow storm to deal with too.   Isn't there anyone you can call? 

Leslie - I am sort of jealous of your short haircut.    In a way I'd love to get mine all hacked off, but it is almost harder to manage short because of the curls.     Plus I'm married to one of those men that wants me to keep it longer.    Some day I'll do it though.   In the meantime I play with color.

Rest day for me.   Assholyness reigns supreme at work.   As I suspected would happen, the boss kind of got over it and nothing ever came of it.   Lots of talk and no action.  Never ending cycle.   I either have to find a way to deal with it, or find a new job ..... like that is going to happen in Michigan.   I know I've got it good there as far as pay and flexibility to a certain extent.   Ah well - did I say TGIF!?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I think Byll is an alien.

Dang.  My sekrit is out.

Speaking of hair, mine is and always has been boring.  I have straight, fine hair that doesn't do much of anything.  I've kept it pretty short for a long while now, but recently tried to see if longer would look better (now that I'm a musician!)  Nope.  All it does is curl up down by my neck.  I guess I'll have it cut short again next time.  Boring.

3.5 easy miles this morning.  Average alien HR of 125 today.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Luck to all the racers this weekend! Start off smart, get into your pace groove and finish strong! Try not to worry about what you can't control like weather and have fun.

03/20 WillRunForBeer - SunTrust National Half Marathon, Washington DC

03/20 predawnrunner - SunTrust National Half Marathon, Washington DC

03/20 Tramps - National Marathon, Washington, DC

03/21 Ileneforward - LA Marathon, LA CA

03/21 runhikebird  - Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon, White Sands NM

03/21 divechief  - Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon, White Sands NM

03/21 nonoruns – Shamrock Marathon, Virginia Beach, VA

Sorry about the work stress Mary---TGIF indeed

I hope your daughter's reaction hit its peak and is on the way out Slo. How scary for you and your family.

Still frosty out when I went running at 5:50 am (28º) but supposed to hit 70º by this afternoon. 8 easy miles without a watch---bliss.  I had a busy and fun week with two of my aunts and my cousin in town. Super Granny heads to Brooklyn with one of my aunts for a long visit and the house will be so quiet for awhile. My stomach hurts from a three day laughing festival.

Good runs and workouts all and happy weekend

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild – I would hate that!  I hate to be cold.

CNYrunner – your granny continues to be an inspiration to me.

Years ago, when I was telling my DH that someday I would likely cut my hair short, he said, “Boy, you’re going to be ugly when you cut your hair off.” 

Yup, he actually said that.  (He later said he was just joking.)  And I actually stayed married to him.  One of those “marriage moments” you have to drag out every now and then to remind your spouse you have not forgotten.

X-training day for me today.  2 slow and gentle miles on the TM (10:42), followed by lateral raises, shoulder presses, bench dips, reverse flies, glute raises, squats (no weights), various crunches and 78 push-ups (28+25+25).  I’ve been slacking on the chin-ups lately.  We have the bar across the laundry room door, I just need to start doing a few each day again.

Good luck to the racers!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang - TGIF!!

Mary - Hailey certainly looks miserable - like she's going to blow any minute.  Do you know how many puppies she's carrying?  Almost time for puppy belly farts - I'm so jealous!!  Wishing you happy weekend away from the assholyness!!!

Slo - whew - I'm glad that your daughter's condition isn't more serious than just losing a ring.  Nice move inviting your Mom for lunch so you could bum a ride!

Tramps - yeah, a treadmill bike, now that would something!

Denise - premature Happy Birthday!! Welcome to the 50's.  My 50th birthday present to myself was a dye job as well.  Initially it was a shock (I'd been going gray since my early 20's), but I love it now.

Leslie - I'm totally envious of your short haircut  - I would kill to have wash and wear hair, but I would scare small children and animals if I had short hair.  Maybe someday when I retire........

Karin - sounds like you had a delightful week - congrats!!

73 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  It's supposed to hit the high 60's or low 70's here today, so I may skip the gym (I did do an hour of core and weights yesterday) and go for a nice long walk for lunch.    Tomorrow is supposed to be equally nice, and I'm contemplating my first trail run (walk/run) of the year. 

Good runs and a good weekend to all!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Day 3 and no improvement in DD#2's (12 yrs old)  condition. Actually I would say this morning is so far the worst. I've been on the phone with triage nurses, my Pharmacist SIL, etc.......Trying to figure out if it's just gotta run it's course, viral or re-exposure........ Very frustrating.  She's being a trooper though. Yes.....we'll be making another trip to the Doc today.

Thanks for your concerns.

I'll get a run in if the opportunity presents itself.....otherwise, I'm not going to fret it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, Slo_Hand!  That poor girl!  I had hoped she'd be getting better by now, not worse.  I hope the doctor today has some answers for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Kimmie

So sorry, Slo, that your daughter is still going through it.

Hang in there!! 

I am running the National Half marathon tomorrow (along with PDR and Lou)....  I've had zero issues lately and Wednesday, I either ate something that didn't agree with me or I got a stomach bug.   It's not been horrible, but not ideal, either.  I didn't run yesterday and I'm not running today.  I'm hoping for the best.  Last year, I ran this race with a bad head cold, so i'm feeling a little cursed.  Smile

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck to our weekend racers:  WRFB, PDR, Kimmie, Tramps, Nono, Ilene, Dive, and Runhikebird.  Wishing you IRC and fleet feet. And lots of fun - don't forget the fun!

Slo, I sure hope they figure out what's up with your DD.  Maybe you should take her to Dr. House.

Mary, sorry about the continuing assholyness at work.  I'm lucky to work for one of the nicest bosses ever.  Today it's snowing, and even though it's not deep yet and I could certainly have made it to work, I decided to work at home, and the boss is fine with that.  They're predicting 10-20" and the commute home would be a nightmare.

So I get to keep the fire in the woodstove going (since our heat is out) and work at home.  DD said it wouldn't break her heart to miss school, so she went back to bed.    She's a trooper like Slo's DD.

ETA:  Holly, nice comment your DH made!  My DH told me he would leave me if I ever got fat.   (He said being pregnant didn't count.)  I said I would leave myself if I ever got fat, so it's worked out OK.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo-Hand, best wishes to your DD.

Mary: have a margarita after work.

Holly - stop slacking on those chins! They're hard for a reason. That's the exercise that hates me so I do them regularly just to spite that damn bar. I had trouble with them this morning.

Good luck to all the weekend racers. Kimmie, glad you're feeling better and good luck.

For me, I actually logged two runs this week (Yay). Did an easy 3.3 on St. Patrick's Day while in Baltimore this week. That was my first run since 3/7. Celebrated my painless jog with a couple pints of Guinness at Pickle's Pub just outside of Camden Yards. Being from Boston where Happy Hour is illegal, I was very happy that it was Happy Hour in Baltimore until closing. $2.50 pints of Guinness. That's just crazy talk. I also had fun teaching a couple college girls how to do Irish car bombs. Good time.

Got home last night, hit the weights this morning and ran another easy 3. Anterior tib is just fine but there's still a little "twinginess" in the the side of my foot and lower ankle. So the peroneal tendon bears watching but I'm encouraged. I'll try 8-10 tomorrow morning and just see how it goes. Hoping to build my endurance back up so I can get through Boston w/o ending up in a med tent.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll.. that is an alien HR!

SLO.. hope you guys figure this out soon or it just goes away.  Poor thang.

Tramps... the faster you run the cooler it will be at the finish.

Good luck racers this weekend!!

2 mile brisk walk with Tory and Sadie before running. This worked very well.

6 miles in 51:30 (8:35 pace, AHR 158). A nice GA run at moderate effort. The calf (soleus) soreness was gone, not a peep during the run.

FYI (or TMI)

Soleus strain (at the lower tendon) was resoved in 3 days by:
                        1) 2 x 10 min ice after runs
                        2) soleus stretch with foot on foam block, knee bent
                        3) wore night splint (boot for PF to keep foot near 90° while sleeping)
                        4) compression bandage all day yesterday
                        5) ran in 700+ mile shoes today... maybe this is irrelevant ?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

So Byll is an alien. That explains that HR. I know it's not normal human. 

Holly, OMG I can't believe he said that. I'd have a hard time ever letting him forget that one. 

Steve, nice rehab work on that calf.

I'd like to get a gym workout done today and then a pool run after work, but the boys have their sports physicals for soccer this afternoon and that might mess things up. Another nice day today, it'll be hard to resist a run, but I've got a big weekend of running coming up and want to be ready for it.

derrick, good job on your longest run since your operation.  Slo, my heart goes out to your daughter.  I hope things turn around quickly.  It sounds as though you had a great day with your dad.  wild, that's a bummer about the heat and hot water.  CNY, what a wonderful time you had with your family.  EGH, glad to hear you got in a couple of runs.

This morning it was in the low 40s and there was some wind.  I did 5 miles in about 51:20 for a 10:16 pace.  It was extra hard even though it was extra slow.  After several days of real nice weather, we have rain and snow forecast for the next several.  Wouldn't you know that the forecast when I have an 8K race scheduled on Sun.  That and the way I felt on today's run don't make me look forward to it.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Aw, slo - that's too bad.  Hope she turns the corner soon.

3 recovery miles for me.  Yes, a half tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect.  I figure I'll go out at some pace resembling MP (not sure what that is these days, though) and see how I feel after a mile or two.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

TomS, I'm sorry about your race!    I hope it turns out better than you're expecting.  I've gotten some e-mails from the folks in Flushing lately lettting me know about a few races.  

Slo_hand...    thanks for checking with an update on your DD.   Keep us posted, ok?   I checked in this morning before work just to see how she was.   Poor thing.  

Karin, thanks for posting that!  I kept meaning to look. Wow what a weekend!  I'd forgotten that a few of those were this weekend.    So glad you had a good time with aunts & grannies & all.   Tell your Super Granny that we love her too.

Holly, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that he was wrong.    !!!!!!

Nancy how was your speech?

Last night I didn't sleep much, between my (grrrr) stoopid neighbor starting up his music-fests again, more snoring, & a head that wouldn't quit (that part was my fault ) it was long & angsty.      But then guess what ( Wink ) I had a really nice run this morning.   Figures, huh, just about when I have to stop for a bit.  Over all, 6.23 miles at a 9:38 pace.  I did one lap (200 meters) at 7:54, not much but for me lately that was good.   I also did 3 or 4 shorter striders, almost full out but smooth, & I don't  think I hurt anything!!    I'm happy that I stopped when I did because I'd thought I'd do more of them.  Then back lifts, rows & dead lifts, a couple of upper & all the lower body weight machines that I usually do, then side planks & russian twists. 

oh, the surgical nurse called this morning like they said she would.  she was so nice!  I asked her if I could run Monday before the surgery, I don't have to be there until 9:20.   She said no..... she did that once & they yelled at her!  Smile.   Was nice to hear that she had though.   Still.... I can have (wooohoo) 16 oz. of clear fluid up until 6:30,  (they'd said not after midnight) including coffee (dance bananas dance), so , maybe , I could do a little one. not sure if it would be stupid though.

better go.  will try to catch up more later.

Carolyn, I'm so glad at least you are home & safe & have the wood stove to keep you cozy!