Masters Running

Rain Still Not Gone Away Tuesday 4/26/2022 (Read 40 times)

Really drizzle day here in CT. I went out for a 4 mile run in what was initially just damp weather. But, by the time I got home I was pretty much coated in mist. Sorry for the lack of a roundup for yesterday's daily, but I should head into the office.

Speaking of offices, my IT group finally got our COVID-19 restriction maps up. If you want to see how orders progressed over time go to https://som.yale.edu/covid-restrictions. Then click on the name under a map. Do not try this on a cell phone!! The maps are dynamic and HUGE. You need a PC or a tablet if you do not want to overload whatever you are viewing on.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning folks!

I've been lurking, reading everything. Lots of interesting opinions and facts regarding the state of the world and the future.  I think we'll just have to see how it goes. Or, basically the next generation will have to see.

MBE and I did a bit of an impromptu backpacking trip on the weekend. I decided to write my first trip report for the Washington Trails Association trip reports site. There were other reports for that same weekend, but whatever, I wanted to show off my Harlequin ducks photo.

The hike to Big Log was 5.3 or 5.6 miles, and not a lot of elevation gain, maybe 1200 feet. We set up camp and hiked further. So about 9 miles total for Saturday, and then 5.3 miles out on Sunday.

I'm still sore in weird places, likely from all the limbo'ing under fallen trees or climbing over them.

{{{Holly}}}  Been thinking about you woman!  Hang in there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good Morning Masters!!  I am trying to read back and play ketchup, but I'll never be able to comment and not forget anyone.

I just had a fabulous, but crazy 5 days in Nashville - that place is insane!!!! The house we rented was in kind of a sketchy area but the inside was completely renovated and gorgeous!! There was 9 of us in the house Thurs-Sunday, then 3 of us moved into a hotel for Sunday night. We had friends in different hotels and rentals as well.

I ran the 6.15 race and was glad I didn't bump up to the 1/2 marathon. That hammy/pia is much better but still lingering and slowing me down.

The weather was extra hot this weekend for Nashville and it was a tough race for my 1/2 and full marathon friends.

We had a great time, but I'll admit I am glad to be home!!

Catch y'all later!!!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - wow! No wonder you've been so busy; it's like the academic equivalent of two Western States. I've been able to vividly follow the gradual relaxation of spectator restrictions for the sumo tournaments I follow on NHK World every two months but, except for the gradual opening of marathons, etc. I like to follow too, the haphazard lack of regularity elsewhere has been beyond my ken.

Enke - add me to the likes for your WTA trail report, especially your persevering when they tried to talk you out of even getting the requisite hiking permit but, though it was tough and dangerous with blowdowns all over the place, you "didn't mind." Very neat, and very PNW. Good job. Neat harlequin pics and observations too.

With morning skies clearing. I went back up to the Hillside Park but, for some reason, got tired enough after the initial 0,3 mile loop leading up to the others that I called it a day.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Twocat. And for the link to the restrictions maps - fascinating to see what we have gone through. Sorry about the drizzle. We'll get our rain later this afternoon into tonight.

Hi Enke. Great report and photo and great job of mastering the conditions up there. How'd the new sleeping bag do?

Welcome back, Deeze. Sounds like a great trip, despite the heat. I'm glad you chose the right race distance for you right now.

Good call not to push the limits too much, Tet. There'll be other days.

I got out a little late for my walk this morning, but still beat the dawn. At 3.9 miles, I went a little further than yesterday, without any of the significant discomfort I had yesterday. And I have no clue about why today was different.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Twocat.   Jay- glad you had a better day out there today.   Steve- take good care of that doggie!

7.6 miles over on the path.  Cooler again, and it felt pretty good.  Heart rate stayed where it should be.

Dealing with Medicare enrollment and the such.  Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Weight machines at Planet Fitness this morning.

SteveP - What was the reaction at the vet to your antics?  I got a laugh out of that.

Saw this today and had another laugh.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/279318136_1883985195124728_243588777689125250_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=YdbV2r_lUXQAX_mgsKe&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT8bmSBv1uN21Br8hNhkFnTxsfSTIFLtT4i8ryPJ8Wyffg&oe=626CC0EA

Ah, 2Kitty.  Sorry you'll enough to have to go into the office again.  Couldn't milk it for an extra month or two???

Will go look at Enke's report and 2Kitty's maps later.

Tet - Good job listening to your body.

The cats woke me up at 3:15 to eat, my alarm was set for 4:00, so I just stayed up - unfortunately.  Then I spent almost an hour looking at bike accessories and ways of measuring your sits bones bike seats.  Hmmm . . . let's just say I hope the local bike shop has a better way of doing it.  The ole "wet paper towel and piece of paper" routine didn't work.  It was more of a wet a$$ splat than a "hey, there's where my sits bones are!"   The other "home" way is sitting on corrugated cardboard, then using chalk to rub over the spot.  Well, I don't have any corrugated cardboard and I don't have chalk.  What I do have is one irritated ischial tuberosity, so a well-fitted seat is an absolute must.

did, however, order 2 trunk bags (one for each of us) and a tire repair kit.  I'm going to get the back racks from the bike store so I know they fit our bikes.  After that, I should be set to ride my bike to work a couple of times a week - I hope.

Oh - Exercise.  30 min of stationary biking and 30 min core/ST/PT.  I've been using Voltarin on my foot and it's feeling better.  Don't know if it's the Voltarin or just naturally calming down from no strenuous activity. *shrug*

For the last week or so, I've been throwing myself a bit of a pity party with this whole foot thing and not being able to even power walk without a flareup, let alone run.  I'm really trying to pull myself out of it, but it's frustrating.  A number of us in here are having issues, so I know I'm not the only one suffering, but it's still sometimes hard to not fall into a gloomy state.  . . . this, too, shall pass . . .

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dave//..........I think those were the top states during the Vietnam War too........

==========

well

my friend's wife is doing ok on chemo and radiation so far

so

I'm feeling better as well

30-min on StairClimber//.......amazingly nothing hurts (so far)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MurrayM

13.5K hilly road down to ocean & back. Moderate pace on downhills & flats and pushed a bit harder on the uphill bits. Family still here.

Marathon Maniac #957

dave//..........I think those were the top states during the Vietnam War too........

==========

well

my friend's wife is doing ok on chemo and radiation so far

so

I'm feeling better as well

Snork!  And, good news!

Enke - I will come back to read that later - looking forward to it!

Twocat - I made these yesterday:  https://iamafoodblog.com/cheesy-tacos-al-pastor-recipe/

and DH LOVED them!  A bit on the spicy side for me, but the Jarlsberg cheese and lots of sour cream helped.  Normally I will put a SINGLE Chipotle pepper in a pot for heat and this calls for the WHOLE CAN which is maybe 7 or 8 Chipotle pepper, but DH has much more tolerance for spicy food than I do.

I had my annual physical today and surprisingly (to me, I guess) all my numbers looked really good.  My HDL/LDL was 109/110, which the doc said was most excellent, my BP was 100/68, ferritin levels fine, etc.  My estrogen levels are low, but I have gone off of HRT for a while and he said that is normal.  We talked pretty extensively about stuff (I love that about this doctor) and he suggested putting me on a low dose of Wellbutrin for a few weeks to see if that helps.  I had posted something on FB asking folks if anyone has any experiences with medications for depression, but then DH told me to take the post down because he thought prospective employers might think less of me.

I walked outside when I got home for 1.5 miles.  45 degrees but windy felt very cold after the lovely weekend weather.  I can hardly wait for the warmth of summer!

Now I am off to the mean oral surgeon for a recheck.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly- good luck with the oral surgeon.   I think Wellbutrin is a common "starter" med these days and I hope it helps!

Leslie- have you tried Hokas?  I know several folks in our running group with PF who found that the Bondi, in particular, really helped with PF.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

KSA - I'm slowing working my way into a lower heel drop shoe, but it's going to take time.  Even though the Hokas have cushion, they have a significantly lower drop than what I've been in since I started running.

Holly - Glad the appt went well and you and your doc have a game plan.  Now if only we could do something about that oral surgeon . . . 

It's beautiful outside and I have no desire to be here.  *sigh* On the bright side, the bike shop has a "seat" they use to measure the sits bones, so that's where I'll be headed at lunch.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, what shoe are you currently wearing and what's the heel drop? I love my Hoka's for trails, still use my saucony for roads, but the drop was pretty much the same when I switched from the Peregrine to the Torrent, so not much adjustment needed.   I hope you get this PF rehabbed soon. It's just not fair I tell ya!

will run after this work this afternoon. probably just an easy 4 miles or so.

Tammy

I'm not sure what happened to my early post -- maybe forgot to click the button? So I'll keep this short.

Leslie, one way to get a measurement is just to sit on a semi-soft surface that might retain an impression such as a leather chair. If you get up and see two impressions there, just measure between the approximate centers. But my main point is that good bike shorts will do more for your comfort than even the "best" seat will. The Terry brand makes both seats and shorts specifically designed for women. Pearl Izumi is another good brand. And only buy the $29.95 shorts if you have a $29.95 derriere. 

We're packing to leave tomorrow for a much-needed getaway road trip to Omaha for a few days, but with rainy weather expected when we're there. Oh well, better than what's expected here. See y'all later...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"