Masters Running

Gold Discovery Run (Read 355 times)

evanflein

Gotta start this by showing the incredible profile of this run. The first 8.5 miles or so are run on trails and rutted gold mining roads. The last part is on paved and gravel roads. The weather has been wet, and it rained heavily last night so there would be mud and puddles. Oh boy. We arrive at the finish area a little after 8 a.m., temp is 48F and it's windy and damp, but not raining (I'll take it!). Board old school buses for the trip up the hill to the start line. Everyone piles out of the buses, starts doing a warm up jog or heads to the bushes for a little un-hydrating. Usually the buses head back down the hill but today they stayed because most everyone piled back in to stay warm! The wind was pretty strong and chilly up there. Soon it was time to head to the start and we reluctantly left the warm bus. Here's a picture taken from our newspaper's site... I'm on the far left in the yellow shirt. The race was muddy from the start. Most of the first mile is downhill and it was tricky dodging puddles and rocks while not stepping on the runner ahead. Lots of ups and downs, puddles and rocks (no spray paint), I took a couple of walk breaks on some ups and tried to "let go" on the downs but OMG it was so slick on the mud. There's a couple places (like at mile 3.5) where I usually like to just tear down the hill but I almost ended up on my butt as my feet slid right out from under me. I knew this wouldn't be a PR effort today, just concentrate on staying upright! At mile 4.5 there's a water stop where you climb a steep rock outcropping to a flat spot where a four-wheeler has pulled a trailer with water and powerade. The view here is amazing. Sorry I didn't have a camera but it truly is incredible... 360 degree view of the entire valley. Then we go almost straight down a steep rooty trail which was kind of scary this year with the slick roots and mud. The trail is full of BIG puddles and we had to go on improvised trails around them through the bushes and trees. Losing time all over the place this run. Finally a dirt (aka MUD) road for a mile or so, then pavement and some yummy downhill sections. I ran mile 10 and 11 at less than 7 minute pace. I'd taped my toes before the run, but obviously had a flap I missed because I felt a "hot spot" under my second toe on my right foot. With about 5 miles to go, that was going to be a doozy. My favorite part of this race is that steep downhill for a couple miles near the end and this year I passed several people there, even with that blister I was cooking up. The last mile and a half are about the hardest here... also the longest mile and a half I've ever run. Flat, boring, dead legs, almost done.... finally the finish is in sight, and I see DH waving to me. I almost caught up to a couple of friends who'd left me behind at the start which was cool. I think the conditions really slowed everyone down, because everyone I talked to said they didn't get the time they wanted. My PR time last year (hot and sunny) was 2:13:12... I was really hoping for 2:10, but I'd take anything better than last year. Oh well... final time was 2:15:05 but still good enough for 6th female overall and 1st in my AG. Free beer from the sponsor brewery and burgers before the awards ceremony... Yum!
    SteveP

Shocked !! The course looks hard core and like a lot of fun!! Free beef too! Sweet.

SteveP

You sure run some unique races. First in AG and free beer n burgers sounds like a good day to me. Better to not PR and slow down than go for it and break a leg. Congrats on a great race and thanks for a fun report Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

First, I started cracking up when I saw the elevation profile! Who runs races on a course like this!? Then when I started to read about the weather and course conditions it was just too much. My eyes are tearing up from laughter! All I can say is you are by far the most weather impervious person I have ever "met." One day I hope to meet you in person you are truly a remarkable athlete and person! P.S. Yea, nice race too! First in your AG! Way to go!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

First thought: heck, it's all downhill; this ought to be a piece of cake! Then I read the report. Ouch. I have a hard enough time trying not to trip on my gravel road; this sounds like an injury waiting to happen. Glad you managed to stay upright. Sounds like an adventure. Congrats on the AG win! BTW, you get no sympathy for the 48-degree weather; that sounds wonderful right now. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I would die in a race like this. I hate getting dirty! Sounds like a lot of fun though. Nice going on the AG win. You are tough Erika. Spareribs
                Congrats on the AG win - that's super!! I would have ended up on the disabled list if I had tried this races. You did good! Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Oh well... final time was 2:15:05 but still good enough for 6th female overall and 1st in my AG. Free beer from the sponsor brewery and burgers before the awards ceremony... Yum!
                  All that story about how tough it was and then you spring these results on us? Erika, you're getting to be another Aamos (which is a good thing, I suppose). I can't even imagine walking down this course, let alone trying to race. An amazing effort and another fine finish for you! Smile

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Wow, evan, that profile set the stage with serious downhills and some nasty uphills for variety. Then when I heard about the mud and puddles on the trails, it got worse. You sure tamed the course, though. Other than the blister, it sounds like you enjoyed it. Congratulations on the 1st in AG and high finish overall. TomS
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on 1st in AG! But you said you didn't win gold - what did you get? Sounds like a beautiful course, except for the mud. I'm not sure beer and burgers would sit well in my stomach after a hard effort, though. I prefer to stick to water, fruit, and simpler foods after races. How's the blister today?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Rock on Erika! Great report and what a course...yowsa! Even if you didn't hit your goal right on, you ran a good race on a tough course and once again your smile comes beaming through your writing. I often wear a race singlet that says: "Can You Say...." on the front and ".....KICK BUTT?" on the back. I need to find one for you----you deserve it more. I don't mind the getting dirty part (Ribs Tongue) but I would have come out of this with sprained ankles and trail rash. You kicked a fine race and remained intact. Raise the roof and thanks for sharing this. Karin
                        coastwalker

Hi Erika, Holy Toledo - what a course profile! That hill at mile 13 looks more like a free-fall. You did a great job, especially on a muddy, sloppy course. Congrats on your AG win, and on just surviving the race with no worse than a blister (how is that blister?). Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

1st AG, and free beer - $ht-howdy, doesn't get much better than that... Smile Glad you didn't end up on your backside. I'm currently sporting quite a bruise there myself, from where I slid out coming down a steep embankment at the park with the kids, and that was NOTHING compared to your downhills.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

arf

MM #405

Awesome race Erika! I love the look of all the downhills, but not all the mud and puddles! What a fantastic finishing time in that slop! Congrats kiddo, you rock! Hey, any chance you might be able to run Seattle in November? I might be able to make the trip down. hugs, arf
                                Congrats on the AG group win! I am so glad you posted an elevation profile for this. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to run UP that thing. Beer and burgers....that sounds too good right now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."