Masters Running

Sunday May 2nd Runs, etc. (Read 634 times)

Hi all!

I had made plans to meet CNY today in Northampton at the Walter Childs marathon....it would have been a training run for me as I gear up for VCM later this month. I scrapped the plans at the last minute....it's supposed to be almost 90*F there today. So.....Over an hour drive to race + $50.00 entry + chance to steam myself silly by mile 17? I regretfully changed my plans.

I know, I know...who in his/her right mind passes up running with CNY? Ribs, please slap me! Anyway, I thought it would be better for me to get my long run done early in the AM, before things got too hot.

20 hilly, humid miles in about 3 hours.....lots of re-filling the water bottles.

There's a-gonna be some sweaty racers out here in the NE....good luck to all!

Walt

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Other than the chance to run with CNY, Walt, you probably made the right decision today.   90° is crazy weather for a marathon.   Hope the water tables are full!

Out for 8 today on tired legs.  I probably should have bagged it at 6 - but that would be silly.   Little walking towards the end.   Now to do some house cleaning and await people from Wisconsin coming to pick out there puppy.   Osh Kosh B'Gosh!!

Happy Sunday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Walt.....to bad. Must have been a tough decision. Not skipping the marathon......missing the oppurtunity to meet up with CNY. Nice run any way......nasty conditions.....I haven't acclaimated to the humidity yet....zaps the pep right out of me.

In my best Ozzy Osborne imitation:

AAALLLL........AAABOOARD !

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Punch my ticket.......I'm hoping on the Taper Train. I'm done......hay's in barn....deposits in the bank...how ever you want to say it. I just hope I can cover the check in two weeks.

16 glorious miles below my MP Pace. I had to stop at 8 miles and trade shirts.....no, I wasn't cutting the sleeves off this one and tech shirts make awful rags. Went from long sleeve to sleeveless.....what was I thinking when I took off.

Later all ! And damn fine running wished to you.

Mariposai

Punch my ticket.......I'm hoping on the Taper Train. I'm done......hay's in barn....deposits in the bank...how ever you want to say it. I just hope I can cover the check in two weeks.

Great job! Of course you will be able to rip the benefits of  your hard work in two weeks. Enjoy the taper time.

12 glorious miles for me before the sun come up. Harvested another handful of wild asparagus...

off to the decorate the park of our cinco de mayo celebration. This is our traditional celebration for the Fuerza Latina group I founded about six years ago. I am so proud our little group. Mexican folkloric dancers, singers, lots of food and the best of all a surprise mariachi visit for my community. I heard that a mariachi was coming to a city an hour away from us. So I called the director and proposed to him an offer he could not refuse...to come to play for free for us, hey there are already on my neck of the woods,  and we will promote his mariachi band in our community and free adds in my radio program....  It does not hurt to ask, I guess.

Have fun folks

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Walt – regrettable, but understandable.

Slo_Hand – congratulations on making it to taper uninjured!  Now don’t do anything silly in the next couple weeks.

Mary – are the puppies leaving?  Or are people just making their choices, to come back later for them?

Mariposai - I don't see how anyone could refuse you! 

Some nice racing yesterday, including Erika with a new 5K PR and Woodslady blowing away her AG competition as well – excellent!

Pfriese – I’d love to meet you at the Flying Monkey.  Maybe we can talk a few others into it.  Not a goal race for me for time, but for beauty and challenge.

As for Born to Run, I thought it was pretty good, if a little slow in some parts, but I listened to it as an audio book on my runs, so that made it easy to slide through the slower sections.  I am also interested in trying pinole and chia, if nothing else but to find more natural sources of fueling.  And pinole actually sounds quite tasty to me.  Tramps – thanks for that link.

We had a wonderful time at the circus – what a great show they gave us!  Nearly 2.5 hours long, too.  The younger kids were enthralled and DS and I both agreed that we got every bit of our ticket price out of it.  This time the ringmaster was also a magician, and we saw more magic tricks than we saw at the magic show we went to a few months ago. 

15 easy-paced miles for me today in the mid-60’s  – the first half in pouring rain and high winds, the second half in the muggy aftermath.  Ave pace for the first 13 miles was 10:21, but the last two miles were much slower, with a couple walk breaks.  I was thinking about WRFB and PDR doing their HM today, and CNYRunner doing her full, and was grateful I didn’t have a race on the schedule yet.  I guess my legs take a little longer to bounce back.  I’m hoping the sproink will return for next week’s 20-miler.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - it's not that my legs bounce back faster.  I just have my heart set on doing as many of our club's Grand Prix events as possible this year, and so I'm signing up for races that may not make a lot of sense.

It was stoopid hot out there.  I saw three runners getting medical aid on the side of the road - and that was just the first half.  The med tent had lots of activity at the finish, and one member of our club was reportedly on the way to the hospital. This is the kind of thing that gives race directors nightmares.

Unofficially - I finished in 2:05:02, a good 10 minutes off my time at National in March, but I'm very OK with it.

I just saw that Twocat had asked a question about the MIT PhDs on my race report.  Answer: Biology

Yesterday WRFB put together the stroller that we'll keep at our house for Baby Beerling visits.  We bought just the right kind of baby food yesterday, but we're still working on finding the correct brand/size of diapers.   Need to hunt those down by Wednesday.

Hah! - I will never run with CNYRunner.  She's way too speedy for me, but we sure enjoy her company pre and post-race.  I'm sorry that she's dealing with this weather today.

Nice racing by evanflein and Woods Lady yesterday!

Careful of those people from Wisconsin, Mary.  (My brother graduated from U of W at Oshkosh).

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Walt.. I'd bale too. I was sweating during my 2 mile WALK with the dogs! (75° at 8 am)

Good job PDR.  It will be interesting to hear how the full crowd faired.

Good luck CNY!  Seem like yesterday she was racing in 20° weather.

Nice 8 (Hopeful),12 (Mari), 15 (Holly), 16 (Slo)!

I'm still takining it easy with my hip. 2 mile brisk, panting dogs, walk at 14:12 pace (75° and humid). Then 45 min elliptical (81° with fan).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Steve, we did hear the marathon winner coming in at about 2:45, which should give you an idea.

My half was 1:52:53 (unofficial), a PW.  But I have no problem with that given my current conditioning and the heat.

When I saw the HR hitting 170, and with the associated "feel", I decided to pull back some.

13.2 miles, 1:52:53, 8:34/mi, AHR 171 (83% MHR)

13@8:35(170), 0.17@7:57(188 )

all splits:

1 - 7:32(152)

2 - 7:42(165)

3 - 7:56(169)

4 - 7:52(169)

5 - 8:15(172)

6 - 8:25(172)

7 - 8:35(170)

8 - 8:50(170)

9 - 9:02(170)

10 - 9:26(169)

11 - 9:22(170)

12 - 9:14(172)

13 - 9:20(176)

14 - 1:23(188 ) [0.17=7:57]

A friend of mine on another forum (he posts here occasionally) ran his age for his birthday yesterday.  Yikes, I'm not sure how old he is but I do think he's a master.

No way was I going to run 53 miles today.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Like most of us, I'd like to run with CNY too, if only to keep up with her for a few seconds.

Mary, 8 is pretty good with tired legs. That was my goal today, but I turned back early.

Slo, sounds like you're in good shape and going as planned.

The 8AM club run was washed out (at least as far as I was concerned) by a line of storms coming through, but I went out on my own a couple hours later and got 7 semi-decent miles in at about a 10-minute pace, not counting a few breaks to relieve that nagging pain in my right hamstring area. Gotta figure that one out and recover from it ASAP!

But it was definitely the first run of the season warm and muggy enough for me to end up drenched in sweat. Next time I need to take both bottles on the fuel belt.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

oops - almost forgot to add:

Happy Birthday, Lou!

We've got a reservation for a nice birthday dinner tonight at one of our favorite restaurants.  I took a couple pictures of him relaxing in his new camping hammock, but they didn't turn out very well, so I'll spare you.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Birthday, Lou!  You and PDR did pretty respectably running a hot half today!  Glad to hear you survived the heat.

Walt, sounds like the right decision, even though you missed seeing Karin.  Wonder how she fared?

You guys are making me feel much better about our weather: it's 26° and snowing.  But that's so much better than 90°!  I'll take the dogs out a little later.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday, running or otherwise.  All the sudden it's summer in NE.  81 right now, but at 8am it was 64.  Quite a bit different than Friday, which was a run in tights at about 40 and a stiff breeze. 

I went 6.3 miles (double lake loop) in just over an hour.  Managed to do the last mile at 9:00 after I got hot and did my first shirtless run.  Figured it would be embarrassing to plod along .  Which once again points out that I have a little more capacity than I think I do.  I need to work hard on raising the discomfort capacity.

The greater Boston area is in a boil your drinking water mode after a 10' pipe feeding into Boston broke yesterday afternoon.  They had to switch to alternative reservoirs that makes up the volume required, but doesn't have the proper sterilization ability.  It may be several days before they fix the pipe and/or put temporary chlorination systems in place.  Fortunately I remembered BEFORE I went out and took a bottle with me, as I had thought I'd be able to hit the water fountains as I went.  Needless to say, there has been an extreme run on bottled water around here.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

We went to DS's GF's graduation ceremony yesterday. She looking for wortk in a Vet Clinic.  Her plan is to reapply to Vet School next year.  Good plan.  We celbrated afterwards with brewskis and good food.  That was fun.  Not so much was the cleaning of DS's apartment later.  Yuck.

It sounds Hot everywhere.  Here too.  93° as we drive home.  I got up to run between 13 and 16 miles this morning.  I didn't start till 6:15 AM because I didn't feel comfortable running too early when I don't know where I am.  I had forgotten my Garmin at home and had to run by time only.  I ran over to the UF campus and scampered all over it for a total of 2 hours 17 minutes, which I'm calling 15 miles.

16 miles would have given me 40 for the week. I ran well but I was getting tired and had little energy.  I have some heat acclimating to do also it seems.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Walt, you're forgiven.  I wouldn't have run in that heat either.  But I did get to run with CNY when she visited near hear a few years ago.  Was great to be with her.  I hope she is okay today.  That concerns me about the heat.

Speaking of heat, and hills, the Beers did not have it so easy today either. Nice job staying with it on a tough day.

My course was just the opposite, fast and flat and I was pretty sure I would hit my goal of 1:51.  At about 8 miles I thought I might have a chance to get under 1:50 if I could hold it together, and so that is what happened:  1:49:52.  I am encouraged to break into the 1:40's now because that is the area I have to be in to be competitive in my AG.  I was 2nd today and the whippersnapper (60) who beat me, did so by 6 minutes, so I have work to do.

Off to Riblet's piano recital.  Spareribs

pfriese

Pfriese – I’d love to meet you at the Flying Monkey.  Maybe we can talk a few others into it.  Not a goal race for me for time, but for beauty and challenge.

Holly - It is a beautiful race and one that you want to run at an easy pace. It is very hilly but very beautiful. Last year, I stopped to take pictures several times from some of the scenic overlooks. Now that Trent is in the Masters group, I'm sure he'll be reminding us of he signup deadline (August 1, I believe). It does fill fast (only 200 runners) and is a marathon that has fantastic volunteers not to mention the great potluck feed at the finish.

Today, I went for a very easy long run of 17.1 miles with Opie (from KR). A beautiful, cool day here that was perfect for running.

Have a great week.

Paul