Masters Running

More evidence that Spareribs is not a doctor (Read 379 times)

Tramps

On Monday’s daily thread I noted: “After my tough run yesterday I felt weird for the rest of the day.  […] my body temperature regulation was totally out of wack [sic].  I’d get chilled for awhile, then 20 minutes later I’d be hot, then I’d be chilled again. […]  I seem to be back to normal today.

In that same thread, Ribs responded: Tramps, that is a common occurrence with many runners following a tough LR in the H&H.  Not sure what causes it, probably electrolyte imbalances that take awhile to reset themselves.  The body gets faked out trying to regulate your core temperature and it continues for a while.  It always scares me, but it goes away.   Spareribs

Comforted by the wise one, I rested.

Eight hours later, my DW was driving me to the ER.  101+ fever (despite taking ibuprofen), nausea, blinding headache, deep body aches, my head in a total fog, and shaking so much from chills it almost looked like I was having an epileptic seizure.

Turns out my run had nothing to do with my symptoms.  I had a urinary tract infection run amuck.  (Men get these?  Who knew?)  Apparently they do…fairly often…and no one seems to know exactly why.  But after a serious dosage of antibiotics and lots of sleep, the fog has lifted and I’m on the road to recovery…and a 20-day regimen of Cipro.

Now, I’m not blaming Ribs.  But if you want a model patient, he’s your man; if you want medical advice, you might be better off consulting a Magic 8-Ball.

I'm just sayin'.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tramps, I'm glad you're OK!!  I got one of those in 1996 (kidney infection that started with a UTI), and ended up in the hospital for 5 days.  It was worse than childbirth!  I didn't know men got them! 

King of PhotoShop

Were it not for you being ill, I would laugh at your great sense of humor about this.  Sure am sorry you went through this ordeal though.  I swear that when I read your post I thought, "oh that, yeah that happens" and thought no more of it.  Hope you are okay.

Tramps, I swear you could write for Leno.  Hope you are feeling better now.  Spareribs

Ribs is not a doc, but does he play one on TV?

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, Tramps.  Glad you're on the mend.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I had SWINE FLU.  (Man gets this?  Who knew?)  Apparently he does…fairly often…and no one seems to know exactly why. 

Now, I’m not blaming Pigs. 

I'm just sayin'.

Okay....a little dark. but I thought Tramps might appreciate it.

Recover quickly, Tramps!

Walt

wildchild

Carolyn

Walt, if Tramps had just run the Flying Pig marathon he might have Swine Fu, but he just did a LR in H&H.

Tramps, you crack me up!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps--I feel your pain.  I had a UTI a couple three years ago.  I had all your symptoms--just not to quite that extreme.  Same 20 days of Cipro and feeling wrung out for quite a while.

Glad you're feeling better.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

A magic 8 ball you say??? Nice

SteveP

coastwalker

Yikes! What an ordeal! Thank goodness DW got you to the ER, and that you are on the road to recovery. Don't do that again, OK?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Glad you're feeling better, though...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Glad you're OK Tramps. My daughter had one when she was 13 months old and it scared the crap out of DW and me. 104.5 fever, yikes.

TammyinGP

that's a scary sounding episode Tramps. I wouldn't have thought a UTI would cause those sort of symptoms.

and we all know that Ribs likes to play doctor. Some boys never grow up

Tammy

Ribs isn't a doctor, but he did stay at  Howard Johnson the night before.

Tramps - Dang, dude!  Scary as heck, but glad you're feeling better.  Cipro - makes me sick as a dog.  Cannot take.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Glad you found out the cause and also glad it was NOT your run!! Get better soon, and thanks for the update. Love your sense of humor about life.