Masters Running

Friday - Sox open at home (Read 40 times)

mrrun

Shout out to Jay -

article on NPR about competitive walking

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/03/297327865/book-pedestrianism

have an awesome day and good luck to w/e racers!

marj

NHLA

Laurel park stream reclamation.

NHLA

NHLA

They decided not to fix the damn so this has been a big spoil for 40 years, Now they are reclaiming the stream and building a park.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Marj!

NHLA - nice picture!

No run for me today.  Instead, lots of crunches, some upper body weights, and 20 minutes riding hard on the bike to nowhere.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Thanks, Marj - very interesting and amusing article about the early days of walking races. I don't know that I'd want to walk for six days (around a track!) with almost no sleep. But then again, 'hydrating' with champagne would be something completely different, wouldn't it?

Fascinating postcard history of the lake, NHLA - thanks for posting.

I got up at 4, fed the cat, and debated going for a workout. I was feeling sluggish and sleepy, so I went back for another hour's shut-eye. I'm not feeling much guilt, so I think it was the right call.

Is anyone familiar with Destin, FL? We're going with family (adults and teens) for a get-away in a week or so. We're looking for tips on where to go, what to do, what to stay away from. Thanks.

Wishing fleet feet to all of this weekend's racers!!

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Greetings and TGIF!

75 minutes of running at 5:30 am with teammates on the dirt roads out by the Marina and nature preserve. Nice and mellow run with headlamps, then a deep pink sunrise, and great chatter throughout.

Nice photos NHLA and also yesterday from wildchild.

Rest that foot well for your marathon Holly!

NHLA

Jay  My sister has a condo near Destin. I will get a list of places to go.

If you get tired of the crowds ride up to gulf shores national park. Located just before you get to AL There is a road thru there where you can see the ocean on one side and the inter coastal canal on the other.

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

I will have to come back here later to read the history of the lake.

No running here. My legs could use a few recovery miles tonight. Just 30' core workout, Holly inspired.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Destin is lovely Jay.  We stayed a week in a furnished condo with maid service overlooking the ocean and right on the beach, called Sandestin.   It's all flat there but running and walking areas are good.

Took Lucy von Sheltie for  walk this morning in lieu of running, as I'm racing a 15K in the morning.

Nice pics NHLA. Good to see them cleaning up the area.

Was doing pretty good on my VB6 plan, Vegan Before 6 pm, with very small meat/fish portions at dinner, but last night I definitely went off the wagon, making a huge batch of Emeril's red beans and rice.  Ate like a pig.   Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Yea, Marg, you had me at 'SOX' on this one!      And they get their rings, right?  And wearing some gold, too!

Nancy, you are so kind to say you missed me (and everyone outside of tthe rest of Sox Nation is saying "stop encouraging her," or, as I like to put it: "Don't feed the monkeys!")

Oh boy, and you and Holly and Carolyn ran Moab, I would so join you.  I ran that one in the past and really, there is no scenery like that except in Moab.  (Also, one of the grocers had a sign asking folks politely please to leave their bicycles outside.  Lots of avid cyclist who truly LOVE their rides!)     Ah,  join you if that's ok.

Jay, I followed your lead, only I unset my alarm last night.  Sleeping in to just before 6 was marvelous!   After running five and a half before work  with a local group last night,  just an easy 4,  I was feeling the need for a day off, despite not running Monday, just walking 4 with my friend in Reston.  So TWO days off for me this week.  (And I didn't run Saturday before the marathon either: Slackergirl!)

Cool info on Laurel Park, NHLA--also, I used to pass Destin when going back and forth from Hazlehurst, MS to Ft. Myers when with TFA.  I think we stopped once and thought the beaches were really pretty.

Twocat, so true, I can eat way, way faster than I run.  Plus, the shorter you are, the less calories you burn running.  I don't even use up 100 for a mile, so if a pound is 3500 calories, I burn less than a pound in whole marathon .  And that's why I have to run a lot of them.

Anyone know of anything interesting happening race-wise in June?  I really would love to d the Hatfield-McCoy Marathon mid June in West Virginia/Kentucky.  I was supposed to do it a few years back, but only got as far as Cleveland.  Rains caused my plane from there to be delayed so much that I wouldn't have made the race.  So I have nothing for June and wondering what y'all have on your schedules, or could recommend.

Happy Friday!

ps: running a 10K for the Naples Symphony tomorrow, name is "Artis Naples,"  sort of too artsy, no?  ANyone like it?

o yea, and the Red Sox won last night.  Check out Xander, our young phenom (who speaks multiple languages, including Dutch, I think, no?)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Jay  My sister has a condo near Destin. I will get a list of places to go.

If you get tired of the crowds ride up to gulf shores national park. Located just before you get to AL There is a road thru there where you can see the ocean on one side and the inter coastal canal on the other.

.....also,

go to The Oyster House in GulfShores..........great po'boys, good beer, and an Oddly Tranquil View of the Swamp behind it...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

..... an Oddly Tranquil View of the Swamp behind it...

for some reason, that coming from TW is slightly unnerving.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Kevin!!  I'm not supposed to laugh!  : D  (that applies to today and to bubble-bodies  Wink)

Another not ready for prime time reply...

thanks for the hugs kind words & advice!

Robin... really, a month?    (you made me laugh too...)   Well, if so, in one month & can laugh & throw away my crutches all at the same time.   will probably hit myself in the head, or something.     I'm so glad you're training has gone so well this time.   It's your turn.

2 other things which made me laugh...  Holly talking about being lazy.

and Amy, talking about where she stores her fat.

anybody else giggle at that?

Amy add me to the list of those so happy that you're here.

Starr, beautiful quilts!

I know, too many exclamation points.

tw, when do you retire?

Ribs.. I have been thinking about you lately whenever they mention the medtronic heroes on npr.

mta, Denise I hope you feel better soon.   You've been running so well.

C-R

Quick drive by. Lots of work and getting ready to leave on Spring break vacation to AZ so I get to run where its warm on trails. Yay me and my son.

Nice pics N.

Jay - we always stay in a place called Sea Grove Beach. Between Destin and Panama City. Very quite. Lots of places to run and golf. Usually get a house. I would avoid Panama City like the plague. Party central this time of the year.

Good luck racers.

Oh and the Cubs won. Only 1 game below 500.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/