Masters Running

Goodbye Feb - 2.28.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s ieggcellent workouts:
    C-R (quick 4 miles before business trip)
    Tramps (E-Z 3 mile leg stretcher)
    Tet (5 miler after making another Frostie)
    Catwhoorg (4 recover miles)
    TomWhite (20 min on Greenway, 20 min pool run)
    BerthaSlayer (5 miles in purdy weather on trashed quads)
    Mike (3 X 1 slow speed work)
    Twocat (6 miles in kind a’ cold weather)
    Steve (couple a’ miles hiking with DW and the dogs)

C-R, tough time for it, but I’m glad things are stabilized so you can focus on your business trip.

Beautiful pics, Holly. Glad your all had some extra time to explore before heading home.

I hope you’re in a better mood today, Leslie. Good job of making productive use of your bad mood, and of jerry-rigging your sit/stand desk.

Good luck and have fun with your hiking buddy today, TW.

Deeze, I’m glad you are keeping an eye on Justin, and that his GF helped get him back on his meds.

Twocat, sometimes the best meetings are the ones you skip.

Tet, I guess everyone needs to spread their wings every once in a while.

Steve, I hope your aunt will do a good job of keeping an eye on your dad. And thanks for the cross-training concept!

DW wasn't feeling well and left work early yesterday. She was just worn out and needed some extra sleep. One of her 6 sisters is arriving today for a week's visit. I have to help prime 8 rain barrels today that local 8th graders are going to create designs for and paint for our rain barrel silent auction in late April. They always do a great job! And we have out monthly conservation commission meeting tonight, with a couple of contentious issues to discuss. So it'll be an interesting day.

My ankle was feeling better this morning, so I went out for 5.7 easy miles in 36F temps under overcast skies. I'm still babying my damnstring, and it keeps telling me to do more of that.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks for your great recap. As more than one person has mentioned, we have a hard time when you take a day or two off. (But thanks for stepping up and helping Tramps - much appreciated)

<Whine Alert>

There are so many of you with real issues and problems in your lives right now that I hate to vent, but DH doesn't get it and I don't have anyone else to complain to. For the last month or so, there's nothing on me that doesn't hurt. It started with what I thought was a case of PF in my left foot, but that seems to be the least of my problems lately. I know turning 65 has a lot to do with it, and I'm sure Tet, Marj, Henry, Tom.Tselbs and Roch understand part of this, but I can't believe how this seemed to come on with such a vengeance. I used to look forward to running and/or working out EVERY day, now I fear where the next new ache or pain will spring up. And I know doing something physical every day helps ward the bad stuff off. My job probably makes everything worse as it's quite physical - pushing mobile ovens, mopping floors, cleaning tables and standing on concrete for 4 hours every day. And quite frankly - being close to 65 - something that I never would have thought I'd be doing.  My DH keeps telling me "you're not a spring chicken any more" and I think I wrote some time  ago that I hoped my brain would ketchup with my body, but I don't feel 65 yet. Does that make sense? I can't schedule a physical because it hasn't been a year since the last one and my single coverage has a $7,000 deductible. Anyway, I don't expect any sympathy - you'll all be here some day. And I'll keep the Aleve bottle close and keep hanging in there.  Just needed to vent a little...

.[[[[..jylnne]]]].......know the feelin'

............and you KNOW I'm gonna suggest PoolRunning,

but

are you running on Soft Surfaces ??(soccer fields, football fields)

and

are you wearing Cushioning Shoes??........the Hokas are Amazing for their cushioning

or

could you cut down on the Speed or Distance??

also

Thanks to fatozzig//..............my buddy is a HardCore cyclist, he's just having trouble steering

so

the X-Bike Idea Is GREAT, thank you

One thing

I Love about this site

is when we combine our Running Knowledge,

as a Group we know EVERYTHING about Running..............and we share that

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Seems like a lot of rough family stuff going on.  Thoughts are with CR, Deez, Steve and others.

Jlynne--good of you to share. It's a useful reminder to everyone.

Twocat--game-changer for us: Slack.  Save meetings for things that need to be discussed F2F.

I have an 8K this coming weekend but don't know what pace is realistic to target these days.  So I used today's 5-mile run on a mostly flat road to do 3 all-out miles in the middle (of the run, not the road):

1. 6:58 -- irrational exuberance

2. 7:10 -- settling in nicely

3. 7:06 -- nearly dry-heaving at the end

Okay, then.  I'm guessing 7:20's for an 8K.  This is gonna hurt..

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

.[[[[..jylnne]]]].......know the feelin'

............and you KNOW I'm gonna suggest PoolRunning,

Yup, or just swimming laps?  As I said before, when I swim, I am hungry and tired afterward, but nothing hurts.

Tramps - fast!

Just 3 miles for me today before my "Biometric Screening" to earn points to keep our insurance rate down.  Basically weight and height and pin-prick and a "Do you need help reaching your health and/or diet goals?"

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay - I echo what JLynne said about your recapping.  We love it.  (And thanks, Tramps, for filling in when needed. )

JLynne - You're not whining, you're talking to friends.  Have you tried just stepping back and reducing your activity load a bit?  It's not easy to do because our brains tell us we need to be active, active, active and we feel guilty when we're not, but your body seems to be telling you it needs a break.  I'm not saying don't do anything, but maybe over the next couple of weeks cut back a bit and see how it goes until your body tells you, "Okay.  Let's get into this thing again," and then moderately increasing your physical activities.  My opinion is it would be good to try this first, as opposed to a month or so down the road your body completely shuts down and says, "I warned you!" and you're sidelined for a long time. Just my 2 cents.

Holly - My painful parts are still painful, but being able to stand a lot throughout the day is very helpful.

Deez - It sounds like your son's GF and her brother are good peeps.

Why is that when I can't workout all I want to do is eat, and when I'm working out like a fiend I don't care about eating?  Dang it!

Enjoy the day, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Another 4 at recovery pace

Its pretty easy to keep at recovery pace when your legs are sore. They are getting better.

Current Mantra:

I am not in my 20s any more. Slow down. The biggest difference was in my 20s I wouldn't listen to my body and push beyond my limits and get injured. I am a little better than that now.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

...Good Mantra//.........All I got is ''Ala-Gator''

=============

rainy and windy here

.....40-min HH on GreenWay

turns out My Buddy doesn't like Getting Wet

..........so his Mantra will be ''Sissy-Boy''

but we're heading out Thursday

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Boy, I almost blew $300+ on a Garmin 235 yesterday but I somehow controlled my impulse to buy something I don't need.  My 910XT works great just fine.

Going to be a rainy & stormy couple days.  I went to the gym today for some ARC trainer & weights.

Sorry about all the aches jlynne. It sounds to me like it is your job that is the main culprit. I hope you don't have to do that much longer.

My problems are all mental.  I eat too much and suffer from motivation issues. No amount of pool running will solve that.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

My problems are all mental.  I eat too much and suffer from motivation issues. No amount of pool running will solve that.

It could prove to you that you realy do like to run.

Jeanne--DW will confirm that my brain has no where near caught up with my age.  I sure don't think of myself as almost 62, either.  The body does remind me fairly regualrly in many ways.  A lot of times when I look in the mirror, I wonder why my Uncle is looking back at me. 

BTW--as previously state--it's not whining.

4 miles for me this morning.  felt almost like I was at the same speed that I mustered on Sunday.  Actual Garmin reading--not so much.  Ah well, it was a very pleasnat morning with no wind and about 39°.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jlynne I tell people I am suffering from O.L.D.. It is pretty funny when they look totally puzzled. Then I tell them to spell it out.  Better than suffering from D.E.A.D.. All I can suggest is some time off to let the aches go away and then start up again. Not super duper fun, but it does seem to work.

Ran 20 of the slowest miles I have ever run this morning. Pretty stupid decision actually. I could have arranged to try and do a long run on Thursday instead. But I wanted to put some, ahem, distance between it and my 25k race this Sunday. Instead I put only three days between a 19 and 20 mile run. All I can say for today is that I finished upright. I am not sure how much help it was for getting into marathon shape.  [editor: Twocat, you are one dumb bunny for a cat. Maybe your handle should be BunnyBrains, or SmartAsBait or oh I am having such a good time with this!!, or DumberThanRocks or . . .]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - me too.

Many's the morn when your daily

recaps and RWs're the sole incentive

for me to get in on the action too.

five-miler

With rain abating and temps near freezing,

yesterday's third Frostie of the year survived the night.

However, lack of recent rain and intermittent sun breaks

starting during this morning's five-miler don't bode well

for lasting the seven and five days, respectively, of the first two.

jlynne - everyone's different about when their

running gets old and when mental aging

gets around to admitting it.  For me,

it was 68 but I didn't fully accept it

until five years later and now

everything's fine.

good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Well today's update on Justin is his gf's brother really doesn't want him living there completely until he shows he can be more consistent with taking his meds -- I get it, but really how does he prove it. He's not going to stand in front of anyone and take his meds morning and night - his actions will show the truth. So looks like he will be back home tonight some time after they get the girls settled in bed. Sounds like they went to therapy together today too, but I worry that his gf thinks he "learned his lesson" and this won't happen again - unfortunately mental illness just doesn't work that way. And so it continues.....thanks for the add to the prayer list MikeE

FINALLY started back with swimming today!! For the next 8 weeks my Tuesdays will be 6-7am swimming followed by computraining from 9:30-10:30 - altho I still need a few more work switches to make all 8 happen.  Love the double workouts and feel hopeful I will be back running soon. I really like this new PT I am seeing - she does dry needling and is addressing not just the immediate symptoms, but really trying to get to the root source. The myofascial release/massage combo I had for 2 hours yesterday also helped!! 

Hugs to all who need or want them!!

Jlynne - vent away - we are a good sounding board here!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jeanne--you don't even come close to whining as much as I do in here.  I can relate to your issues in so many ways.  I have been active my entire life.  I cannot imagine a life without doing some form of exercise...no matter how much it kills me.  Debbie is always telling me to just stop....that I bring it all on myself.  Well, she might be right, but I'm not stopping.  And working?  There was a time when I was looking forward to being able to retire at 60.  Now, I see me having to work until I'm 70...and it's depressing.  Just hang in there!  That's all I do and it's the only advise I can give.  And, as I remember your Tough Mudder pictures, there is no doubt you'll be hanging in there for a long time.

No run for me, today.  I came home and sent my resume to another company.  I would love...like...rather work for this company than any of the others.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

flats

turtle runner eximious

10k for me tonight. 6 last night.

I am having hardware or software issues with my Garmin for the past few days. It's not uploading my workouts to my calendar.

Michael