Masters Running

R2R2R plus a side of scramble (Sans Souci's adventure) (Read 244 times)

Cross-posted here from Kick on behalf of Sans Souci.

----------------------------------------------

(Apologies for the delay. Cut and paste isn't that hard, is it? FBers need not reply)

I have been planning to run the Grand Canyon for some time. Blogs and books on running and hiking the canyon were a great help in preparing. This will be my first attempt at over 26.2.

I arrived on Monday afternoon and went to the Bright Angel trail head so I knew exactly where my starting point would be in the morning. Start here!

Flick 1

Ate a pasta dinner. I slept well Sunday night and was expecting disturbed sleep on Monday. My plan was to get up at 2:30. Instead, I was up before 2:00. Good thing as it took a while to put my kit together. In my Nathan pack:

10 gu (one in my Race Ready shorts), incl 6 of the new variety
    2 litres of coconut water in bladder
    first aid kit
    space blanket
    8 protein squares from Whole Foods
    map <roll eyes>
    paper with range of arrival times at key points
    one pair Balega Hidden Comfort socks, one pair Wright Socks (camera inside one sock)
    emergency whistle with compass
    50 SPF sunblock
    lip balm with sunscreen
    water purifying tablets (just in case)
    $20
    card with emergency info
    baggie containing paper towel
    1 serving of Perpetuem Extreme Endurance Fuel (didn't use)
    2 Ginger Chews (didn't eat)

In black RaceReady shorts:

baggie containing 3 packages Shot Bloks (yes, it bounced around in the rear pocket) and 10 other blocks (can't remember brand name)
    small bag containing 36 veg Succeed tablets and 6 Ibu (had some left)

Sugoi hat, Petzl headlamp, Balega socks, MountainGear top, Brooks sports bra, Brooks Cascadias, DirtyGrrl gaitors, bandana/handkerchief in waistband, Nike arm sleeves, Timex Ironman Watch, Garmin 405CX (conked out before N. Rim). Left my room with gloves, but threw them back in the room. It was a lovely morning. And my amazing new glasses with transition lenses -- one of the most important items; super comfortable and no muss/no fuss!

Breakfast: one serving Perpetuem, an apple, coffee, water.

Run ready.

I walked the 800m or so to the trailhead and started just after 3 a.m. It was probably 40F, a light breeze, the stars magnificent. The advantage of this route is there are places to top up your water, although my recommendation would be to have 2 litres, just to be safe. The downside, if it is one, is Bright Angel is anywhere from 46.6-47.5 miles round trip; South Kaibab is 41.2 and from 5 a.m. mule trains leave with passengers.

You *will* need to top up water a number of times.

Now to the worst mistake and, after all the prep, the most embarrassing ...

I missed one of the first set of switchbacks and headed off on what first was a trail and then ... nothing. I kept going, looking for the trail. The terrain was steep and difficult to traverse, with loose rock/shale and dirt. I'd climb up; no trail. Down, sometimes sliding off or across rocks and brush; nothing. I didn't feel panicky, just ridiculous, wanting to switch off my headlamp so that no one would see the goof scrambling in the dark. I had gone far enough that I couldn't see the hotel lights.

Don't go there

(Somewhere over here, in the photo above, but in darkness of early morning)

Perhaps it was the siren call of Hermit, drawing me from Bright Angel to "his" trail (or, worse, off and over the cliff). Yeah, yeah. That must have been it.

No, it's time to get back on track. Approximately 1.75-2 hrs after I started, I'm back on Bright Angel. So I'm starting at 5 a.m. instead of my planned 3 a.m. My early footfalls must be light, as I surprise a trio of deer.

Flick 2
    (Of course, I don't use that stereotypical Canadian hoser expression. That was just for effect

Doe Three Deer ...

The trail is steep and has logs hammered with spikes into the ground to maintain its integrity. You know from the get-go it's a quad buster, but you must maintain control as a fall won't just ruin your run, it may mean a roll off a cliff. A good time to get into the constant rhythm of salt tabs every half hour, gu every hour (or more), Shot Bloks, and hydrate, hydrate! It will feel like you constantly have something in your mouth, but this is important!

I'm alone until I come upon a double mule train packing supplies. I stay well back and wait for direction. It wasn't long before we came upon a good passing spot, and I was told to walk -- not run -- by.

I pass through Indian Garden campground at 4.5 miles, approx. 3000 ft descent. A few people are stirring. I use the facils here. Onward to Devil's Corkscrew. You come upon several creeks where you can dance across the river rocks and keep your feet dry. This is a nice spot to run. I come across a couple of more mule trains: one with supplies, one with people.

Bright Angel trail

Bright Angel and S. Kaibab trails come together at the bottom. This is the point where I see the most people. I stop at the suspension bridge to take a pic. A nice camper offers to take one.

Silver suspension bridge

On the other side is Bright Angel campground and Phantom Ranch.

Phantom Ranch

Once through, the gradual climb begins. The Box is stunning and cool with Bright Angel Creek and the steep walls blocking the rising sun to the east. There are several bridges crossing the river. Following taking this picture ...

Bridge in The Box

... I'm passed by a runner, a man I had come across at Phantom Ranch who asked me if I had seen his group. He went by at a pretty good clip. Sometime before Wall Creek, I caught up to Bob and part of his group. Bob and I chatted a bit as we ran through this fairly lengthy stretch. Although it doesn't seem like it, you ascend approximately 1000 feet leading to Cottonwood.

After a good stretch of running and just before Cottonwood campground, Wall Creek. No dancing across stones here. We took off our shoes and socks and waded across the brisk flowing and cool water. A good time to change into new socks. Feet were in good shape.

Cottonwood would have been an opportune time to top up the water, but I proceeded on toward Roaring Springs. This was the one and only time I felt a bit nauseous. I had forgotten I had Ginger Chews. I think I was slightly dehydrated, and I really needed water by the time I got to Roaring Springs (mile 18.6). I glugged a bunch of water straight out of the bladder (not the hose) and refilled. "Only" 4.7 miles from the top. You encounter buildings with windsocks here, a reminder that there have been many emergency rescues. Don't be one, I remind myself. Top up water here, honestly evaluate how you feel. Are you ready for a 3000-ft ascent?

Flick 3

This is a spectacular part of the journey, but it is steep and there are few places to run for any length of time. It also seems to take FOR-EV-ER!!! I know I should be coming upon Supai tunnel (mile 21.3), but where the hell is it?! Note: If you have acrophobia, this is not the place to be.

Flick 4

There are at least two spots where you can have a shower, one where the water is a most beautiful blue hue. What a delight to wet your cap, wash your sticky hands and face, and take in the beauty! I briefly chat to a few hikers coming from the North Rim, including several gents I will later discover are from Eugene!

I finally reach the North Rim after a few romps through some small snow drifts. Not long after, Bob and friend arrive. Bob's friend needs water and he's cramping. I'm certainly not feeling the urge to spontaneously flamenco, and there is still almost a marathon to go. A good time to rest for a bit and remember the blog entries of ultramarathoners who describe the inevitable low points before a "surge." Okay, I'm not expecting a surge with my quads feeling as they do, but an honest evaluation tells me I can do this.

Oh the view

North Rim

I leave a couple of salt tabs for Bob's friend who is going to rest for a while and await the arrival of the others. Bob heads off ahead of me and puts the bug in my ear that an arrival at Phantom Springs before 4 p.m. means free lemonade. What a lift to have this thought to keep going!

It's great to be running again, although *carefully* with the steep dropoffs. In time, I'm back at Roaring Springs, where I top up the water and refuel. The ranger arrives and we have a brief chat. I try to let go of my thoughts of wanton violence when he tells me he's going to relax and have a nap! I'm now at Mile 28, a distance PR with more to come!

Lemonade! Lemonade! Get going!

Off again, and the sun is HOT! I make it to Cottonwood and see the Eugene gents who are preparing camp in the early afternoon. Of course I immediately start name-dropping but, alas, the poor sods don't know Econo! They are kind and encouraging. Seven miles to LEMONADE!!!!

The Box that was cool and refreshing in the morning is hot, sunny, and breezy now. Aside from visions of lemonade, I keep positive by admiring the most beautiful desert flowers, particularly the neon pink blossoms of the Prickly Pear, and the heart- and Alberta-shapes of the rocks. I keep check on the time; it's going to be close.

Lots of running with brief walking breaks. A hiker asks how much I would charge to take his pack to Phantom Ranch. Ha! I've got lemonade on the brain, Mack, and no time to spare. Every corner I round, I think I'll see the ranch. Letdown after letdown, but I'm still going for it! I arrive right around 4:00, hoping my watch is fast. There is Bob sipping a lemonade!!! But I'm late! Chivalrous gent, he offers me his fresh glass. He had already enjoyed one and felt another may give way to a hurl.

Lemonade has never tasted better.

Leo is there as well, having wisely turned back before the North Rim. Bob has the excellent idea of dipping our legs in the cold rushing water of Bright Angel Creek before we start the climb home. That and a bit of sustenance, and we're going for it.

While most of my run has been solo, I am grateful for the off-and-on company of Bob's group, particularly at this point, Mile 38. Bob and Leo offer a lot of encouragement without being coddling or overly sympathetic, and I hope (and believe) they felt free to press ahead when the feeling struck. Devil's Corkscrew wasn't too bad, although dusty. We kept hearing what we thought were goats in a riparian area, but after a lot of kooky discussion decided they must be barking goat frogs. Warty imposters! We did stop for a brief break at Indian Gardens (Mile 42) to admire the trees and top up with the last bit of water before breaking out the headlamps and forging ahead for the steepest bit. Bob had gone ahead around this point. Less than 10 metres ahead, a deer came ripping down the slope onto and past the trail in front of me. Man, I would have been ticked had that ruminant taken me out and over the cliff at that point!

Flick 5

Just as I'm "making" that movie, a stranger approaches! Kind of startled me. He startled Leo too, who is just behind me (thank goodness!)

Ahhhhh, finally the arch and the "No Dogs" sign. We are THERE!

I say good-bye to Leo and start the plod toward the hotel. I go directly to the cafeteria (I must be a sight!) and buy five cartons of chocolate milk and ... wait for it ...

A giant Coca-Cola!!! Man, that tasted great!

I have been going on for a while about wanting an experience. Oh, yes, this was an experience. I believe the total time was about 17.5 hours, so if I hadn't gone for the scramble, it would have been somewhere around 15.5. A blog I had read said this would be in the range for a "mid packer." I'd caution against getting too caught up in time unless you're an experienced ultramarathoner (I obviously am NOT). This is a tough, tough run and you want to be safe. It would be wise to carry more food than I did. I felt fine and clear-headed the whole run, but a more savoury snack would have been hit the spot in the latter stages.

No fooling around here

I'm proud of this accomplishment. I contacted my two nieces early the next morning to letl them know that I had finished and to remind them that they are capable of enormous feats of derring-do, whether they be physical, mental, creative, intellectual or ... To prepare responsibly and go for it!

Oh. And to double-check the map before you go.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong