Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, March 9 Runs and such (Read 601 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! 

I'm sure glad I read about daylight savings time this coming weekend!   Wow - that doesn't seem possible.   And girl scout cookie time too!?   Oh, OH - my DH is an addict and we have a couple of girlscouts in the family now.  

I was so pooped out yesterday, I went to bed at 8 last night.   I was awake at 3 a.m. listening to the coyotes howling and traveling through the woods, and never did really get back to sleep.   Heard them once again at some point.  So I turned off the alarm before it went off and got out for 3 miles @ 10:27 pace.    I had to walk a few times, but that is okay.   At least I got out there.   Big grin

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning everyone.

Rest day #2 today. Stomach bug is gone and I'm just left with the "I've been sick for 24+ hours" feeling but back at work today. Cold seems to be letting up too. I never would've run Stu's had I known a stomach bug was coming on. If it had struck just a couple hours earlier I'd have stayed home.

Planning on an easy run tomorrow morning. Tonight I have an awards dinner in honor of my daughter who was named the "Terrific Kid" for her elementary school. One 4th grader in each of the 8 elementary schools is chosen by teachers and the principal. So it's proud Daddy time tonight.

And she hated Girl Scouts. So did my 2nd grader. Both dropped it. They are not the artsy craftsy types - they want to run around, play soccer, etc. So happy I don't have to hock cookies this year.

Tramps

D.S.T. is a double-edged sword.  Nice to have the light in the evening, but it's back to running in the dark in the morning...at least for awhile.

8.5 miles with middle tempo 6 @ 7:06.  Definitely feeling better.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning, gang!

Mary - wish I had gone to bed at 8:00 last night - without the waking up at 3 am part.  Good early morning run!

Craneium - was there supposed to be a picture?  For some reason, RA pictures often don't appear on my computer.  They might be there one day, and gone the next.  I don't get it.

Carolyn - not a wonder you used muscles you've never used before - the soreness too shall pass ;-).

3.2  slow miles on the TM - alternating with incline walking for a total of 5.4 miles.  Jesse and I did some more agility last night (what a beautiful evening!), and the foot is ouchy this morning.  I should have gone back to the elliptical, but my stubborn streak materialized.  I will behave tomorrow.  I'm going to work with one of my charities trainers to come up with some semblance of a training program and will probably hook up with her after Boston.  I've mulled over the possibility of a virtual coach, and this might be the time to give it a try.

I love the thought of more daylight in the evening, but I'm not ready to forfeit my hour of sleep - whine, whine, whine. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Craneium - was there supposed to be a picture?  For some reason, RA pictures often don't appear on my computer.  They might be there one day, and gone the next.  I don't get it.

Sue - try pressing Ctrl. and F5 together - the pictures magically appear.   I have to this once in a while and it always seems to work.

Glad you are feeling better Egh!   That is super news about your daughter!!

Happy that you are feeling better too Tramps!

Sue - a stubborn streak?   Really??   Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

So you all know I am so enjoying fatozzig's training for her extra loooong race. You had two tough runs this weekend Leslie. If I have used my car as an aid station I would have not finish all those miles. Temptation to stop would have won! Great job sweet girl!

Kimmie, it is so good to have you among us. You are  a fresh air around here. Congrats on your BQ. OH FWIW...around here you get a butterfly hug every time you rest...so... here is your butterfly hug for yesterday's 0 miles. Lou ,  here is yours too.

eliz4015 welcome back!!! you too get a butterfly hug.

Us hillbillies don't waste our perfum on deer, if we try to do that we would go broke 

Yesterday I did the same thing as Timbo, I had some extra time to run, the weather was crappy (which is a good time to train for those crappy days on marathon day Smile) so out I left the house at 5am with only one mission...just run in the rain and wind. Lucky me, I found a brand new dirt trail with a 3 mile loop very closed to my house. 12 miles with 6 miles on dirt trails...just the way I like it. Once on paved road again I did 6x1' striders.

Today: 4 very slow and easy miles to ponder.

The duo recital was phenomenal with songs from around the world and from all the ages. The party was great. We had so much food to feed an army. Of course the chocolate fountain was well visited. I have one of those Rival Chocolate fountains and I order Gourmet Belgian Style Chocolate online, but you can use regular chocolate chips as well. 

Cranieum, sweeetttt bike!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Renee the dog

No running for me today, just finished food shopping a little earlier and won't slideboard until tonight.  I want to get the most mileage out of this morning's shower!

EGH3, enjoy that banquet!  Very exciting!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

No running for me today,

Here is your buttefly hug the

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

Tough run this morning. The temp was not bad 50F, but the wind was blowing hard at 19mph with gusts of 29. It was also blowing in off the ocean from the west and since I was running north to south, I got the wind in my face both ways! Ok, I'll stop whining now. My time for 6 miles was 1:01:47 a 10:17 pace. Also did 68 push-ups and abs.

Mari: I have run 92 days straight. Now I know why I don't get butterfly hugs.

Have a great day and great runs everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

wildchild

Carolyn

George, congrats to your "terrific kid!"  I dropped out of Girl Scouts as a kid because my troop was boring.  My sister was in a fun troop - they went camping and stuff.  So when DD was in kindergarten, I volunteered to be the Daisy troop leader so she would get a fun troop.  I think the kids all liked it.  We "camped" in cabins the first couple of years but when they got a little older we went tent camping. I eventually quit because of a co-leader from hell - you can't fire volunteers, so I had to quit. And DD quit too, because she also had a hard time with this leader.    One example:  when we went tent camping, she insisted the girls stay in big family-sized tents and stay up late telling ghost stories and painting their fingernails.    I thought they should sleep in smaller tents and actually sleep.  And she had her husband come help set up the tent - when there was no reason the girls couldn't have learned how to set it up.

Yesterday it was in the 40's and raining in town, and in the 20's and snowing at home.  So I took a rest day - didn't want to have that drowned rat look after a RAL.  Today it's sunny and supposed to hit 50° so I'm looking forward to a lunchtime run.

ETA:  Byll, hope you're having fun skiing!  Send me a message about meeting for dinner on Saturday, OK?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - I agree.  Just when it’s starting to get light in the morning, I get plunged back into the dark.  I really don't get the point of Daylight Savings.  We have x number of hours of daylight either way.

EGH3 – heck of a 30K, what with the stomach bug coming on, that was amazing that you were even able to finish it.  Congratulations to your DD!

Erika – do you know that Keebler has a grasshopper cookie that is very similar to a GS thin mint.

Mariposai – nice run yesterday, and good lesson that we need to train in all kinds of weather, because we don’t know what race day will bring us. 

10 miles for me today in 35°, including 3 x 100m striders and then 6 x ½ mile intervals with 90-second recoveries.

4:02 (8:04)

4:04 (8:08)

3:58 (7:56)

3:56 (7:52)

Afterward, lunges, bench step-ups, squats, and 68 push-ups.

35° felt so much warmer that I wore my lighter tights, which turned out to be a mistake and my butt was frozen again halfway into the run.  Crazy, because 10° warmer and I would be wearing a skirt.  Somehow the magic butt-warming number is 40°. 

Tile-measuring guy will be at our house tonight, yay!  Then I will take DD and her little friend to Chuck E. Cheese for a treat.  I'm taking some earplugs and a running mag.... 

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes, folks - you are the best!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

EGH3- Way to go to DD! As a teacher I love when we recognize kids for doing good things. I also love when parents can appreciate it as well.

Tramps-Nice tempo in the middle of that run.

Holly-Hope the tile goes well, and the mouse pizza goes even better.

Wildchild-You mean girls don't need a big strong man to set up their tents for them?  What is a ridiculous message to send to those kids. Good choice pulling out. 

No run for me yet today. Tonight will be another hill running night for me. Not sure yet if I am going to do the group run or hammer a hill by myself tonight. If I ride it will have to be on a trainer, no time after school.

My sister was in a fun troop - they went camping and stuff. 

Ooh, I could sooo get into the camping thing. That's what I grew up with. My family camped in the summers, even winters when we upgraded to a big trailer. DW wants no part of it. Her vacations as a kid always included motel/hotel rooms or fully equipped cottages. If the GS camped, I bet my daghters would still be doing it. Seems the troops around here are obsessed 24x7 with selling cookies and spend a small amount of time on silly crafts.

Mari, no runs for me the last 2 days and I'm beginning to feel left out.

dg.

Good Morning!

Mary, I was glad to read about the time change too!  thanks Sue! (I think it was you).   Mary I just looked through 3 dailies to find what is going on with you & your DH... but I give up.  Was (is) it the flu? ((()))   Good for you getting out there today!

George, glad you're feeling better.   I can't imagine how you ever finished Stu's.  phew.   That is very cool about your daughter!         I hated girl scouts too.  (well, not personally)(well, maybe a few of them ;-) )  but was a Brownie & a gs long enough to hawk a few cookies.       BTW  I say howabout no more cookie talk!!!!!   just a thought.     Some of us are trying to shrink.

Tramps, glad you're feeling better too, nice zippy run.   I'm the same way about DST.   I'd rather have it light in the morning.

Sue!!    I'm frowning witih my arms folded firmly & tapping my foot.   behave yourself ok? because I look really stupid.

the coach sounds like a good idea, let us know how it works.

Nancy what a beautiful run you had.     I'm glad your recital & party  turned out so well! 

ok have to stop here... I see more posts.

1:02:26 this morning, about a 9:47 pace (yes that is supposed to be funny, but I think it's about right), so about 6.38 miles.    This one was kind of tough but i'm not sure why.

TomS, I did listen to you..  thanks.   As hard as it is to 'behave ourselves'  (e.g. Sue Wink )  the more times we hear the be carefuls, I  think the more chance they might soak in & we might actually feel ok about doing it.   2 doctors told me it was ok to run, I'm just supposed to watch out for pain. 

Ok gang somebody explain to me why you find Girl Scout cookies at all tempting.  I am lost on this.  Cookies, really good ones, are easy to make.  They are even easier to buy.  In my occasional Girl Scout cookie samplings I have never found them to be all that good.  When forced to get them I basically leave them in the office for others to take.  I am generally stunned to find them gone!  Why, why, why are people encouraging the mass production of bad cookies? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/