Masters Running

Friday, 7.22.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Hi Aamos. Civil discourse is harder and harder to find these days, which is why we have to appreciate it when we do find it, which is why I also appreciate coming in here for some shelter from the storms. I hope you got to spend some time yesterday sittin' on the dock of the bay...

Tet, I hope you achieve your lifetime PR today, and a big CONGRATS if you do!

Leslie, we can find ways to justify almost anything, and saying it fast is one of those justifying ways. I hope you had fun with the trucks, and that the fun will continue with your stroll this weekend!

Good whale-watching and farmers-marketing, Marj.

Nice trail 6er with the ultra women, WC.

Nice 5er (call it what you will), and tasty dinner, Larry.

Piece of mind does have some value, doesn't it Evanflein? Have fun and stay upright at the GDR on Sunday!

Sounds like a wise call to me, Mariposai. With all it entails, I'm glad that you continue to celebrate your girlhood (or is it girldom?).

5 and a scootch RW miles in mild, muggy weather and in new shoes (Mizuno Hitogami) this morning. I can tell that these shoes are going to be faster than my slow shoes. If I can only get my legs to move fast enough to keep up with the shoes... One gorgeous little fox crossed my path this morning, only about 20 ft. in front of me between some open fields. I dunno if it or I was more surprised. There was another critter in our back yard when I got back that I only got a quick look at before it disappeared, but it appeared to be about the biggest fox I've ever seen. If not that, I don't know what it was.

We took today off from work and, like Holly, are leaving for vacation tomorrow. Today, I have to mow the lawn, bake a cake, wash the car, pack, etc. We're going to our favorite tiny town in Maine that we go to every year. A friend, who has gone with us every year since '03, is not going this year. It'll be strange to be there without him, but DW and I are also looking forward to some 'us' time.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I keep thinking that coastwalker is having a scotch whiskey after his 5 miles.

I have dropped my goal to run the Charleston Distance Run this year.  The load at work, the struggle to adjust to the humidity here in WV compared to Michigan, and my sore back added up to too much to handle. So I shaved off my beard last night and I'll keep my runs short and easy until fall when things cool off.  (I grew a beard so I could recreate my 1989 Charleston Distance Run pictures. I found one in a box when we moved here and I so I grew a beard and I was going to wear the same type of clothes - red shorts, white singlet.)

Maybe by fall I'll get the back stuff figured out too. I have a doctor appointment in a couple weeks and I am going to see what I should do.

I have been thinking of joining the Planet Fitness here. Mix in some weights and elliptical training during the summer.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - so sorry about missing the 27th reunion of your bearded Charleston Distance Run.

However, unless you're trying to beat your 1989 time, and are not on the DL,

why not just go do it at least for the photo (not that anyone I know would ever

do anything like that, e.g. 50-mile race with Mt. Rainier photo ops at mile 12).

no running today, . . . yet.

jay - with lightening and thunder, rain, busy getting stuff done before an all-day meeting at 9am and a sprint triathlon coming up on Sunday with a daunting half-mile swim being twice as long as the quarter-milers in the super-sprinters I’ve been doing once-a-year since 2006, count me a non-runner this morning too.  However, watch out for a PR eight day streak about 7pm when things settle down, . . . . i hope.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

that's how I keep reading it too. Smile

Best wishes, thoughts and prayers for Leslie as she runs her 24 hr run tomorrow!  I hope you attain your goal and have fun while doing it!

Belated congrats to Carolyn on her 54 mile race!  

Early tomorrow morning David has a golf fundraiser he's working at all day, so as long as I have to be up and out early (although - soon once he gets his license I won't have to do this anymore and then I'll probably miss it!), I'll take Bella with me for a run at Cathedral Hills. I really need to start getting in some hills/trail training if I think I'm going to attempt a very challenging HM in late Sept.

Today after work I am going blackberry picking. I found a great spot with loads and loads of easy-to-access berries, so I plan to pick enough for eating and making up some blackberry jam this weekend too.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's like your SALON vs SALOON of a while back, DAve?  Actually in Abu Dhabi, the SALONS are called SALOONS.  quite confusing being in a (theoretically) dry country.

When I take a cut back week, I don't fool around--not a single run while in NJ, even with an extra day today that I didn't plan on.    The big corporate 5K in 2-1/2 weeks is going to be so much fun.  Not.

Back to trying to whittle down the to-do list to catch my flight out at 5pm.  Carry on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

dave - so sorry about missing the 27th reunion of your bearded Charleston Distance Run.

However, unless you're trying to beat your 1989 time, and are not on the DL,

why not just go do it at least for the photo (not that anyone I know would ever

do anything like that, e.g. 50-mile race with Mt. Rainier photo ops at mile 12).

I'm not ruling that out, but it'll be beardless if I do it.  The stupid thing was gray and uncomfortable. I think old, gray hairs are thicker and stiffer than my old snazzy dark beard.  It was like I glued a Brillo pad on my face.

Marathon Maniac #957

Me. too!

I worked a half day, and then ran a bunch of errands and no am busy printing boarding passes and excursion receipts and doing laundry and cleaning the house in preparation for the morning flight to Cancun.

Two of DS's college friends are staying in the house and watching the dogs and cat while we are gone.  DD's goldfish turned up dead this morning so I guess that's one less thing they have to worry about....  They are nice boys, and I told them they are welcome to eat us out of house and home.

Now off to pack....

25 minutes on the bike trainer.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Mexico!  I'm so excited!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mexico!  I'm so excited!

Good for you Holly! If anyone deserves this trip right now, it's you. I hope you have perfect weather and spend lots of time laying by the pool having cocktails with little umbrellas in them

Hope the streak is still alive Tet!

It's too hot for beards right now Dave. Good choice on shaving it off. And I give you high marks for moving to W VA from Michigan. The adjustment to summer heat and humidity must be tough.

Enjoy that "scootch" Jay - and happy vacation! (Spell check kept wanting to change scootch to scotch - I think it's trying to tell you something!)

Thanks for all of the good wishes and advice.  I caved. Wrote a check to DS#2 to cover the security deposit for his new place. He gave me two post-dated checks to cover mine and I can cash them for two of his pay periods coming up in August. I'm assuming they won't bounce   DH was okay with this since I wrote the check from my own work money checking account instead of our joint one. I hope this all works out...

Hotter than Haiti here. Honestly Aamos (and everyone else who runs in these conditions on a regular basis), I truly don't know how you do it. I went to the Y and ran 5 on the treadmill then did some weights and core work.

Stay cool everyone!

...Have a Fun Vacation jay and holly........

102-heat index here

============

caught 5-fish today FlyFishing for 2-3 hours

and BOY,

does hitting the Pool afterwards feel nnnnnnnnnnnice..........

40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows

and

I swear the Heat Index felt like 103

when I came home

>>>>>>>>>>>and I LOVE IT<<<<<<<

....good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

worked on race walking form this morning - before the heat came in.

fleet feet & low humidity to all you racers

enjoy your vacations Jay and Holly.

Stumpy - hope your flight took off on time without any t-storms

((DL list))

Hi to anyone I missed!

marj

I have been off of running for the week due to a big toe that has been complaining. Good move, I think, as the toe is feeling a lot better. I wish I could say I kept up with the daily the past couple of days but it would be a total lie. I have just been busy with work. Although today was nice. I got out to meet a former colleague and co-author of mine for lunch. I am not sure we will be working together on something in the near future, but it was nice to catch up for a bit.

Tomorrow I have a crazy distance race of 4.068 miles. Weather should be pleasant. Forecast is for starting temperatures in the 80's with a dew point near 70. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - I'd prefer a sukosh of hooch but I don't.

holly - Happy getting off the DL . . .

If it works, maybe everyone'll should to Mexico

marj - the answer to the bing . com question-of-the-day on what kind of whale tale

was pictured was humpback too. Today's was a photo of where aamos used to run.

whew - two evening miles (8 days)

Is runnin' when you don't need to run to go somewhere

or there's no race what real running's like.  I think I like it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)