Masters Running

Tuesday, July 13 Master Run and just getting moving ..... (Read 588 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

After a week of mandatory shut down at work, it was a tough day yesterday and I never even got to log on to read, let alone post!    Working sucks...... Wink      Yesterday was simply a rest day anyhow.    This morning the dogs heard the alarm and told me it was time to get up.   I planned on 5, then felt the humidity and thought maybe 4, but ended up getting the 5 in.    Not my best performance, but it is in the books now 10:38 / 9:57 / 9:57 / 10:14 / 10:33 - 160 avg. HR.     As I was running under a street light, it turned off which startled me .....then a few lights later another one did the same thing.   On my return, they came back on when I ran by them.      

Tonight I go to look at two kittens that need a home.   I most likely will bring them home .... oh heck, who am I kidding?   I've already picked a name for the male.    They will be indoor and outdoor cats.    I think I've lost my mind.     In the meantime, we have a racoon that has taken to going into the garage at night.   Fun, Fun!!

I'll be back to catch up later..... hopefully!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary's gathering a menagerie!

10 sweaty miles this morning.  I ran past a tractor trailer that was on fire.  Just your normal run.

Dave59

As I was running under a street light, it turned off which startled me .....then a few lights later another one did the same thing.   On my return, they came back on when I ran by them.      

I'm glad to hear this happened to someone else.  It happens to me all the time.  If a light goes off I attribute it to an evil spirit trying to make me trip in the dark.  If a light goes on, then I give credit to the good spirits who are trying to light my way.   

There was a period of time, when I had been running for about a year or so, that every morning when I approached a certain street light, it would flicker a few times and then turn on.  If was freaky how it seemed to happen every morning for months.  Eventually I just sorta decided it was God saying Good Morning to me, so I would say Good Morning back.

Eventually the town mut have come along and "fixed" the light because it stopped doing that.  But it had become something to look forward to that I still say Good Morning there.

3 easy miles in the Newton's.  I must say these Newton's are fairly sproink-inducing.  I need to keep working on that midsole strike with my other shoes too.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...I guess

as long as you guys don't start Sacrificing Chickens before a run it's ok to play with streetlights......

==========

.........as a new poolrunner (7 months)

I will be GLAD when school starts....

...between families/kids/and noodles in the lanes it is getting pretty STRANGE at poolside.

...........22min poolrun,

the kids and noodles switched to ONE lane, so me and a swimmer could do our laps.

I wear earplugs, but now seem to be getting SwimmersEar........oh joy......

would switch

to horseback riding,

but the damn thing would probably BITE me.

and I'm pretty sure SkyDiving is out.

maybe

Couch Potato(e)s know something we don't.

..........................good running guys....................Be Prepared.......bring a chicken.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morning. 8 reasonably strong miles early this morning. Warm but a little less humid with a breeze.  

Dave, i had to laugh at your rendition of the dishes  and cats. How the heck do you wait until after dinner to feed the cats? Ours barely allow you in the door ( three Siamese). My DH not only does the dishes right after dinner but sometimes starts doing them before dinner is on the table. Drives  me nuts.  So there are many variations of the problem. 

Tom, are you getting swimmers' ear from pool running? Isn't your head above water for that? or is it from swimming. I think there are drops you can use but blessedly I have not had it in a while and don't remember.  You are right though; it is always something, or so it seems.  My pet peeve with the local outdoor pool is "gutter ball." Kids throw the ball across the width of the pool and try to get it into the "gutter" on the  other side. Makes things exciting if one is doing laps. Thankfully the Y has dedicated lap swim times and does not allow that sort of thing...

Good runs everyone!

wildchild

Carolyn

maybe

Couch Potato(e)s know something we don't.

..........................good running guys....................Be Prepared.......bring a chicken.

Tomwhite, I'm sure glad you've joined us here at RA - you always brighten my day!

No run yesterday - it was too hot.  It was 90 in town, and even in the mountains it was 75, which is too hot for me.  Yeah, I'm a wimp.  DH and I did take the dogs for a walk after dinner.  It's supposed to be hotter today, so now I kinda wish I'd HTFU'd and run yesterday.  Oh, well, I may just take another walk today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – how is the cat you adopted a couple months ago?

Dave59 – you do dishes?  I didn’t realize men were able to do that.....

Lamerunner – you may not be able to do long streaks of running, but I am envious of your many and varied workouts.  I think you may be in better overall shape than most of us.

CNYrunner - $1000 per mile – considering the mileage you pack up in a year’s time, you did a mighty lot of good for that charity – well done! 

Halllar – like you, I find that at least one day off running each week “gives me the mental ability to still look forward to the rest of my runs.”

Re: ART therapy and PF – isn’t ART kind of a rough deep tissue massage?  I would think that would be kind of rough on the delicate fascia tissue, especially if it was already injured.

9 miles for me this morning in 71° and 93%.  Ave pace was a frisky 9:30, which included the slow WU and CD mile.  Not a peep from the hamstring tendon/knee........

...although there were lots of aches in other places.  That Jackie Warner and her squat-kicks – that woman is relentless! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jtv

Mary - good luck with the new kittens.  If you need any more, I can bring you some of the friendly ones from our feral cat colony under the AC boardwalk; Big Daddy, Tom, Polly, and others need homes.

Since I have posted lately, I have to go back and read Daves story of the cats/dishes.  Ours barely lets us in the door also.  I walk in the door, Boots usually has his nose right there, drop off my briefcase, run upstairs with him, and pet him on our bed.  Then walk to the cats bedroom to give him his dry food upstairs.  After he has had a few bites, he follows me back downstairs, and waits while I give him his canned food.  he gets real upset if I don't follow the "routine".  And their morning "routine" - who needs an alarm when you have a cat on your chest headbutting you!

Holly/PBJ/Lamerunner - nice runs in this soup

5 easy miles in 41:33 this am.  Due to a foot injury for the last few weeks, I have omitted my walking.  Funny injury - I can run, but not walk!

Enjoy your day everyone.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jeepers -it sounds like the cats have their people trained around here!!   We had a cat several years ago and she got along fine with the dogs.   This new venture has me a bit nervous - not due to the dogs as I feel confident they will get along, it is just that I'm not used to cats, and we will keep them with claws so they can go outside too, so will my furniture survive?     The two that we adopted are doing well and we see them come in at dusk to eat and last night I was able to watch one as he layed on a big log out back.   They are the reason we now have a raccoon(s) entering MY garage at night.   The trap is set .....

As for your offer Jtv - thanks - but the addition of  2 kittens is because the "heaven can wait" people called as they just rescued 30 - yes THIRTY cats/kittens!!!    DH and I talked and I told him that I wouldn't mind a couple more -but I want friendly - follow me around the yard kind of cats.    Not just feed them and hope to spy them once in a while.  This whole thing has really opened my eyes to the over population of cats and it is pretty sad. 

Very nice sproinky run this morning Holly!!

I had to go find Dave's post too.   A man that does dishes ....... swoon.

~Mary

~unknown

I look my best blurry!

3 easy miles in the Newton's.  I must say these Newton's are fairly sproink-inducing.  I need to keep working on that midsole strike with my other shoes too.

Bill

I know what you mean about the Newton's.  I have a pair of Lady Isaac Newtons's and I feel like I'm springing all over the place.  I ran my surprisingly fast 5K in them, too. 

Holly- glad your leg is feeling better!  Gives me hope.  NIce banana.  Makes me hungry.  We are staying at my FILs house.  He has absolutely no food here!  I had muscle milk for breakfast that I brought along.  

Hopeful- I wish we could have a kitty.  My husband is deathly allergic.  Have fun!  Pics please!

jtv- Then again I don't need anyone else demanding food from me!  I have too many routines to keep up with.  

10 miles today with my BIL in Chapel Hill, NC.  We took it easy because my leg has been bothering me and the beach didn't help.  AND because my BIL doesn't usually run that far.  He wouldn't quit and I was really impressed.  He is a naturally good runner and lots of fun.  It was great.

Dave59

I have a lower clutter threshold level than the rest of the people in my family so I find that I am the one picking up and cleaning up.  I don't understand the view of, "I'll clean the dishes after I do the crossword."  How can she concentrate when the counter is covered with pans and the food is just drying on to them more and more?

I am learning to live with the changes.  Just look the other way and relax.  It'll eventually get done.

The cats are a little confused but they are adapting too.  They keep looking to me for food.  I finally tell my daughter to get to it so the cats will get off me.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Dave - I'm right there with you on the low clutter tolerance.   If I ever had to lay around and do nothing, I am quite sure I'd go nuts in a short period. 

Okay - I was going to name the boy "Cushman" just cuz I think it is a pretty cute name.   But, just as I was studying his picture, I noticed he has a very distinctive "M" on his forhead, so now I might need to name him something that starts with M.  

The girl I don't have a name for yet:

Sorry!  I've overposted enough this morning ..... back to the work piles.   

~Mary

~unknown

we will keep them with claws so they can go outside too, so will my furniture survive?      

Hiya Mary,

--I have a carpet covered scratching post and clippers to trim my 2 cats' nails.  They leave the furniture alone but once in while try to dig into the carpet.  I redirect them (a water pistol is useful) over to the post, speaking sternly to them.

Whenever I see them using the post, they get lots of positive praise (we have the "kitzel voice," which you can imagine, I'm sure).

Now, if Frank is getting attention, one of them will often run to the post and start using it vigorously to get my attention (and the voice).

Good luck; it's a good thing you're doing.  So what's the name you picked out?

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Milton.

Seriously, I had a cat named Milton when I was a kid.

Named after a toaster, I think.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."