Masters Running

Satur-Daily 12/29/12 (Read 339 times)

Hi runners and walker.

No work yesterday,so I shifted over to "normal" hours from my usual 3rd shift schedule. So I'm up dark and early.

I think I'll take a day off from running.  I went out for a run yesterday and I felt dead. I only ran 3.3 miles,very slow. My sore calf issue was a lot better,but I had no energy. Looking at my run log, I have put in a few extra miles this past week. I'm used to taking a day off here and there,but since I had a lot of time off of work lately,I've been getting up and running every day. I have not logged this many miles since summer. I always hear you people say "listen to your body",so I will.

I'd like to take my 5 and 12 year old sons out for a hike in the woods today. I just have to get them motivated to get out in the cold! I know they will enjoy it once we are out there.

It's fun having my Marine son home. The house is crazy(er) right now. He has so much to do,and has to cram it into the short time he is home on leave. For example,he went to a movie with his friends the 2nd night he was home. He got up and walked out after about 20 minutes. He said he can't sit still for 2 hours,"I have too much to do".   He and a friend went out last night to the local bars. He called and invited me out. Temping,but I was too tired,and I'm not really a "bar" person. Maybe 10 years ago. Besides,I'm a cheap ass. For $20 I can buy a BOTTLE of Jim Beam,not just a round of shots. He called a few hours later and had my wife pick him up as he felt he had too much to drink to drive home. At least he didn't try driving!

Have a great day of Running,walking,resting (or hiking)!

Good morning,

Drake good idea to listen to the body. Another great idea about the hike.

Pretty much snowed in here about 6-7inch fresh snow this morning  and it is still comin down hard . This is on top of our 10 from Wednesday.

DW on our treadmill and I'll be next

Gotta love the snow belt Big grin

Enjoy!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Still coming down here too Sarge. For "a dusting of 1 to 2 inches," it looks more like 8 to 10. Weather forecasters missed this one.

Happy anniversary Ribs and Mrs Ribs!

Nice video Bill. And I could hear Amy Grant singing in the background? Love that Christmas CD.

I'm glad your son is managing to squeeze in a little time with you Drake. Sounds like sheer madness at your house these last few days.

Twocat - that sign made me think of the Christmas dinner in the movie "A Christmas Story". Loved the scene where Darren McGavin said he loved the duck but it was smiling at him. Then the restaurant owner took a huge knife and chopped it off. The family reaction was hilarious!

Opted for the track at the Y this morning. 4 miles followed with 3 on the bike, 5 minutes on the rower and some free weights.

Anyone started making new year's resolutions yet? Big grin

Jeff F

Free Beer

Even though I do enjoy seeing the snow, I am glad we haven't had much so I have clear streets and paths to run on.

Our GD got to come home from the hospital yesterday.  She was breathing better and her oxygen count was back up.  She still does not have an appetite but I think we can work on that at home better than in the hospital.  It was nice to get her out of there as the peds unit was full of kids with RSV, which she did not have.

Interesting run this a.m.  Went ou for 5 miles with 3 at GMP which I am guessing should be somewhere in the 8:20's.  After a warm up I picked up the pace watching my Garmin to see when I hit pace.  After pushing it pretty hard the first mile I realized the screen on my new Garmin was set to avg run pace not avg lap pace.  Ended up doing the first pace mile at 7:33, just a little fast.  Figured out I had avg lap pace on another sreen and dialed in back to 8:20 for the second mile.  It felt so easy at this pace I decided to go 4 miles at pace so did the next two at 8:18 and 8:17.  The last one is mostly uphill and into the wind so I was satisfied with my run.

I will do a 10 LSD run tomorrow.

Later.

Dave59

4.4 miles for me in a "light dusting" of snow.

(That's all I was going to post, but I turned my head and saw someone down the street using a snow blower on his driveway.  Either he is insane, or to give him the benefit of the doubt I am going to assume he just wants to make sure it is in working order for when we get real snow.)

Slo

Out for 16 this morning. Found a wallet in the final 20 minutes of my run. I don't wear my glasses when I run so I had to wait until I got home to read the ID. Thought maybe it would be someone who lived along the route I was running.

No listing for the person in the phone book but I had his address from his drivers lic. so I drove it over to him. I didn't get the story how it came up missing or how it ended up in the snow along the curb but his wife was sure glad to have it back. There was no cash in it...apparently nothing was missing.

I'm 20 miles and some change away from logging 300 miles this month. Biggest month in a long time.

K...DW and I need to go alcohol exchange shopping.

MTA...Good to hear about your GD Jeff. And Nice run!

King of PhotoShop

Opie and I had a little spat at dinner last night and he walked out on me without even doing the dishes, but it was a good anniversary nevertheless. Seriously, the Saint and I did dinner and a movie, saw "Django Unchained." There were only a couple of scenes of about a minute or so when no one got shot in the face, whipped or eaten alive by dogs, so it held my interest throughout. I wonder what kind of upbringing Quentin Tarantino had. 3.8 easy this morning at the park gave me just over 40 for this week. Next race is a 15K in two weeks. Spareribs

mornin' guys//..........still trying to get over this flu

THANKS CLAIRE////

=======

.......20min ARC Trainer,,,,,,,10 min x-bike standing

didn't feel like it.

did it anyway

............20's and ''light dusting'' here, so I'm thinking BIKERIDE tomorrow..........ohboyohboy

................good running guys.................Avoid Small Children if possible

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Twocat, it's good there's progress with your ankle and PF.  Happy anniversary to ribs and the saint and to opie and mrs opie.  Lame, what a tragedy about your daughter's team mate.  Jeff, I'm glad to hear  your grand daughter is home from the hospital.

Nice long runs for baboon and Slo.

Today should have been a running day but I've been a bit under the weather.  Night before last, I came down with flu like symptons and was miserable all night and a good part of yesterday.  This morning, I felt much better but weak so just went for a leisurely 2 mile walk.  I'm starting to feel pretty good so can hope to get back to my normal schedule.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Another 4" of snow today so the 5k was cancelled. I opted for 8 on the TM. I'll run #2 tonight.

While I'm on the treadmill, DS1 went out and shoveled half of the drive for me. The three of us finished it up and did some of the neighbors as well. We plan to get the snowblower (bought it on Craigslist Slo) for some friends that are out of town and give them a nice welcome home surprise in about 20 minutes. I'm lucky to have some good kids and a wonderful DW (who is doing very well).

Tom - get better soon.

WTG Slo. Go get the 300. You earned a dram of good bourbon for the good deed of the day. I won't get there but I'm shooting for the biggest month of 2012. Finally got past 2k today.

Ribs - Quentin T was worrisone after Pulp Fiction (although I thought Christopher Walken was absolutely funny in it).

Nice Jeff

Smart kid Drake.

Off to use the snow blower.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

I wonder what kind of upbringing Quentin Tarantino had.

Big grin

Drake – I hope the hike went well.

Jeff – you are fast!

Slo – awesome month!

{{{TomWhite}}}  {{{TomS}}}

C-R – my DH bought a snowblower a couple years ago, slightly used, but he put new blades on it.  You don’t use it that often around here, but when you do, it sure comes in handy.  Plus, DH is totally out of shape, so I don’t need to worry about him having a heart attack every time it snows….

We had 2-3 inches of new snow last night, but with temps around 28-29 degrees this morning (plus more time to dress on the weekend), I couldn't bear to stay inside.  I ran mostly on tire tracks down the middle of quiet sidestreets, so it wasn't bad, but even an inch or two of snow gives more of a workout than dry ground.

5.5 miles for me today.

Tomorrow the footing will be worse, as temps are supposed to be in the teens, and what was soft pack today will be frozen tomorrow. Wish I could have done my LR today, but I had promised DH I would be back soon so we could go sofa-shopping, to replace our battered family-room sectional. 

We ended up getting a great deal at an overstock.com outlet having an end of the year clearance - a much bigger sectional with a large chaise and ottoman for $1132 out the door, tax and shipping included - sweet!  When we watch family movies, the four of us, plus both dogs and the cat all want to sprawl on the sofa at the same time, and the old one was just too small, especially now that the kids aren't little anymore.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Howdy everyone,

Good for you for listening to your bod, Drake. It rarely gives bad advice.

Happy Anniversary, Ribs and Opie - nice couple...

Lamerunner, so sorry to hear about the accident on the mountain - so sad.

Too much flu going around, so be careful folks.

Nice of you (not that I'm surprised) to go out of your way to return the wallet, Slo.

Great sign, Towcat.

Got out early for 5.4 racewalking miles on dry roads - 25F, with solid but light cloud cover that made the big 'ole moon look quite gauzy. After breakfast, DW and I did some grocery shopping and have been getting the house ready for company. BIL and wife should be here soon, and SIL with husband and 2 kids arrive tomorrow. Gonna be a full house for New Year's! The snow hasn't really started here yet, but if the forecast holds up, I'll be doing a snow blower workout tomorrow.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hello. It has been a while since I posted here but hope to get back to it on a more regular basis.

Slogging through snow today was quite the workout. Yuck. Thank goodness for the stretches of pavement that were plowed.  It felt like running on the beach in the sand minus the warmth.Still feeling the effects of my first ever attempt at cross-country skiing on Thursday where I spent more time trying to figure out how to attach the stupid boot to the ski, trying not to fall and then trying to stand back up once I fell than actually skiing. It sure is going to take some getting used to. I think I found a sport that I suck at more than running. bahahahha. Anyway, it really was fun and hope to get back out there again soon before the white stuff melts.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Good deeds bring rewards, Slo.  Good comeback, Ribs!

Yoga this morning and a good run this afternoon, meeting my mileage goal.  11 miles with progressive pace the second half.  Not as many miles as last year but I had some health issues as many of you remember.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Yesterday's workout on the treadmill - 6 Miles - 8:59 - 8:50 - 8:26 - 7:55 - 7:27 - 6:39 (48:16 - 8:03 avg)

Nice 12 mile run this morning with some of our "Rowdie" group - 1:46 (8:51 avg) about 18 degrees at the start warmed up into the low 20s by the end of our run!

We are getting another dusting of 4 - 8 inches over night.  I am hoping it ends in time so that I can get up and plow the driveway then head out for around 8 - 10 miles with the group.

Hope Tom White and TSelbs are feeling better real soon.