Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.30.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I just had time for a quick scan of yesterday's posts, so no workout recap today. I really liked the photos from Pfriese and Wildchild - you both have amazing views (and elevation) on your runs! I also really liked the email from the Steamtown RD that Evanflein posted, and may borrow some of that for the reminder emails we'll be sending out for our 5K at the end of Oct., and the half in November. I hope RunnerKSA gets to relax and enjoy her race.

I got up early this morning, fed the cat, got dressed to go out for a workout, opened the door, and discovered that it was raining appreciably. So I got back in my sleeping clothes and back into bed and slept for another hour. So it goes. Now we have to hurry up and pack and drive down to Woods Hole, MA 'cause we're going to try again this weekend to get to Martha's Vineyard and the lighthouse. It turns out our Coast Guard nephew just got a big promotion and the official ceremony is Monday morning, so we'll stay for that before heading back to NH.

Have a greta Saturday! I'll see you in October.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay.  See all that bad weather was for a good reason.

Oh yeah, I got a promotion, too--I'm going to be a FIL (at least at sometime in the future).  DD and SIL2B got officially engaged two days ago.  We're really happy for them and he's nice guy and they seem very happy together.

And on a running note--not much this week and likely next.  my big project is in startup mode and that means early mornings and late nights and running is the innocent victim.  Actually on site today while my electricians try to catch up.  However it's not likely tht they make up for the two weeks they're behind today.

Happy and healthy racing to everyone today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Have a good trip, Jay.  Congratulations, Stumpy!  Good news!

2 miles along the path by the Mississippi here in Minneapolis.  Staying with some fast kids who used to post a lot in the Swamp-  Candice and Ben.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

..thanks jay//.............that reminded me to feed the cat...........

=================

...40-min PoolRun with letters..........

...............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hello everyone.  I'm one of the RW refugees who just had the rug pulled out from under us by the fine folks at RWOL.  I'd been a member of the Masters forum over there for 10 years, so it was no small deal to me that they took away our "running club."

Anyway, I've been lurking a bit over here and reading past dailies to get the feel of the place, and to be honest, it looks and feels a lot like where I was (minus the spam).

I posted in the Introduction thread, but a quick recap:  Go by Opus, been running since 1977, some competitively, mostly for the things it does for my mind and body.  800m/1600m guy in HS, tried to walk on at a D1 college - lasted one day, ha ha.  Ended up running collegiate club level XC, which was more in my league.  No racing again until I was 44, unless you count the annual Air Force fitness 1.5 mile run. Done a couple of halfs and 4 marathons, a few 10Ks, and a handful of 5Ks in the 11 years since, but I only care to race once or twice a year. Injury riddled past 2 years and I am just starting to get back up to speed.  Currently work for a DoD contractor teaching aviation safety to USAF aircrew.  I also teach some college courses at night once or twice a week, and I coach HS XC and track (distance).  In my spare time, DW and I (and the dogs) like to head out and see the country in our RV.

So today was a progressive 5 miler, starting with a 9:20 warm up mile and ending with an 8:28, which is about as fast as I've been in many months.

TammyinGP - your XC team sounds a lot like mine.  I have 14 boys, with 2 top ten types, but that's it.  Our top conference team has over 40 boys and 40 girls - they have a "traveling team" each week, and the rest run invitationals on weekends to get some races in.  I always ask their coach how his "army" is doing.  I don't even think he knows all their names!

I'll try to post more personals as I get to know everyone.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Mariposai

Opus, welcome to our RA family. Here you will find a lot of support and camaraderie. We are looking forward to reading your posts.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

Another beautiful morning here; drizzly, no wind, & 60 degrees. Perfect for a nice easy 9 mile run with the doctors.

Have a great race tomorrow RunnerKSA. Cool that you're seeing Ben & Candice. I met them at the Monkey when I met you & Ken. I still follow her & her dog on Instagram. Both Candice & Been are very talented runners.

Welcome Opus77.

Paul

Dave59

Greetings Opus77.

Congratulations Stumpy.  

I ran my itty bitty 5k. 52° and clear. Couldn't ask for anything better.

6 of 33 overall
                  4 of 12 male
                  2 of 3 age group 50-59

Garmin measured the course at 3.14 - 8:36, 8:39, 8:44, 1:13, 27:14. If the Garmin is right it was an 8:40 pace. If it was a 5k distance it is an 8:45 pace.  Best pace in 2 years in a race.

The guy who won my age group took off like a crazy person but as the race went on I got closer and at one time I was just a couple seconds behind. I was going to try and get close and then if I had anything left at the end I would try to make a surprise pass. But in the last three quarters of a mile he glanced back, saw my gray head closing in and he picked up the pace. He ended up 5-10 seconds in front of me. All 3 of us in my age group are 58 years old. We talked for a while afterwards.

The guy in front of me was from Maryland. He works for FEMA and was in WV dealing with a couple counties that were flooded this past July. He said is just about done and will be assigned somewhere new but doesn't know if it'll be Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, or even somewhere else.

My left calf started feeling sore around the 1 mile mark but it didn't seem to affect my running. It cramped up an hour after the race and is sore now. I may have to spend the week on the ARC/elliptical just to be safe.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Welcome, Opus77!  Another XC coach...cool.  I'm an assistant coach for a team with about 50 boys and 40 girls...I am working very hard to learn all their names...and I'm terrible with names.

Speaking of cross country--I ran 3 miles before practice, then did the team workout which included about 5 miles of hilly speed work.  When it was all done, I ended up with 10 miles for the day.  Then we went for breakfast.

KSA--good luck tomorrow at Twin Cities!  I really wish I could get down there and watch.  I have so many friends running either the marathon or 10 miler but, with church, and the fact the Vikings are playing at noon, compounded by all the road construction--getting around is going to be miserable--so, I'm going to stay away, this year.

Okay--I've got a ton of stuff to get done.  See ya!

Quickadder

Another RW refugee here. Glad you are all so welcoming. I am trying to resurrect the 60+ forum here, but it appears to need several transplants plus CPR.

Quick background as I've not posted an introduction yet. I'm originally from England but moved to Louisiana in 2001 and am still trying to acclimate to the heat and humidity. Work in a CPA office and decided I needed some exercise so I started jogging with my stepdaughter a little over 2 years ago at age 60. Started entering races and surprised myself with my times. Ran my first marathon in March 2017 in 4:32 having made the usual rookie mistake of going out too fast and fading later.

I usually start my Saturday running with a local informal group around the center of town. We are all about the same pace but run different distances so some do an extra loop before the group start and we have a variety of regular routes. Ran sections today with four different runners, including most of the last 6 miles with our only Boston 2018 runner (she had a BQ-8 minute time). I finished with 15.7 miles at an average pace of 10:15.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Hi Quick!  Glad you migrated over too.

Marathon Maniac #957

Welcome Opus and Quckadder!

No run for me today.  Instead we headed out at about 8:30am to Ozone Zipline in Lebanon, Ohio for a zipline tour.  We did the River Tour with DS and his GF, her parents, and another couple, 3-4 hours with 9 ziplines and 7 skybridges, including 2 ziplines that cross the Little Maimi River, one of these being the longest zipline in Ohio.  So, never having ziplined before, I admit I found it pretty scary, not because I am afraid of heights but because I hate the sensation of falling right when you initially drop.  The scariest was the longest one, where there was a big initial drop and our guide gave me a tremendous shove off the platform, as the lighter people can have some trouble making it all the way across and we had a bit of a headwind.  The scariest part was just the first few seconds, though, and after that it was pretty awesome.  Went to a late lunch after and just got home a little while ago.

Image may contain: tree, plant, flower, outdoor and nature

DD has an all-day lacrosse tournament tomorrow, starting at 8:30 with the last game at 5:15, so not sure if I will get any running in then either.  We will see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 to tire the legs out before tomorrows hard workout.

Then a whole lot of getting stuff(TM) done around the house.

Got some big pieces of broken stuff taken to the city dump, took the recycling (glass is no longer kerbside for us) on the same trip.

Broke up 3 pallets to get materials for a holiday project.

Put up more shelves in the basement.

Now I am officially pooped out.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

One more - this is DS playing the "Trust Game" - letting himself just fall backwards off a platform 200 feet high, trusting the harness - WAY scarier than you might think.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, tree, shoes, outdoor and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I've never been ziplining - not sure if I'd like it or not.

Welcome to the RW refugees, Opus and Quickadder!  Make yourselves at home, and invite your friends!

My legs are tired today from the past two days longer runs (10 and 13.4) so I went for a hike today with DH, DD, and DSIL in the state park, about 5 miles.  Gorgeous fall colors, and today is DH's 59th birthday.

Tomorrow I'm doing another longish trail run with 2 friends. Hope I can keep up...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.