Masters Running

Gasparilla gathering? (Read 496 times)

btb1490

I see Henry and Marj, Divechief and Arf are signed up. Anyone else? How about a get together Saturday evening or race morning?
    Henrun

Sounds good. We'll be staying at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown on Saturday (arriving some time in the afternoon) and then going to the expo. We can meet for dinner Sat. night or at the expo late afternoon.
      btb1490

Great! I too will be arriving sometime Saturday afternoon. The plan was to have dinner with friends of mine Saturday evening. They live in Tampa and are also doing the race and are planning to eat somewhere near the start/finish area. They assured me it would be ok to bring along guests! If it works out, perhaps we could all do that? Let's see what Divechief and Arf have to say.

Maniac 505

Sounds good to me. We will be staying at the host hotel (The Sheraton Riverwalk). Arf gets in about 5:00PM Saturday.

Marathon Maniac #957

I just had to pop in to see what a Gasperilla was...Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

I just had to pop in to see what a Gasperilla was...Smile
              Good question! I had no idea what it was either. All I know is the word "Gasp" is in it, which doesn't bode well for the name of a running race... But thanks to google, here you are: José Gaspar, known by his nickname Gasparilla (supposedly lived c. 1756 – 1821), was a purported Spanish pirate, the "last of the Buccaneers," who is claimed to have raided the west coast of Florida during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Though he is a popular figure in Florida folklore, no evidence of his existence appears in writing before the early 20th century. His legend is celebrated every year in Tampa with the Gasparilla Pirate Festival. Here's the rest of the story if you are interested. http://www.answers.com/topic/jos-gaspar I feel much better now that the race has something to do with pirates.... aaaaargh, matey!
              btb1490

Sounds good to me. We will be staying at the host hotel (The Sheraton Riverwalk). Arf gets in about 5:00PM Saturday.
                I see that the expo closes at 5pm on Saturday. Arf better give you her shopping list.
                btb1490

I have friends of mine who live in Tampa and can make the dinner arrangements for us. I'll ask them what restaurant and time they are thinking of and pass it back to you guys. Any preferences on what to eat and what time?
                  Henrun

We're up for any restaurant nearby and reasonable. How about 6:00 p.m. since we all have to be up early in the morn? Looking forward to the get-together.
                    btb1490

My friend in Tampa wants to know if we have cars, or do we have to stay local to our hotels. I will not have a car, so I kinda need to stay local, athough a cab is an option. He was thinking around 6pm also. Divechief, will that be ok with you and Arf, since Arf is getting in kinda late? I would think you guys would want to eat soon as possible after she arrives. Let me know please.

Maniac 505

6:00 sounds perfect. We will not have a car, so it would need to be in walking, or taxi range. looking forward to it. Dave
                        Henrun

We won't have a car either.
                          btb1490

It's unanimous! No cars! That'll help with the choices. I'll pass the info on to my friend and get back to you with a place and time. I'm looking forward to the gathering as well!
                            btb1490

This is my friends first suggestion, very near to where we are all staying. Check out the menu and see what you think. It looks nice, but pricy, to me. Thoughts? Ok? Or look for another suggestion? http://www.jacksonsbistro.com/bistro.html
                              Henrun

Yes, it's a bit pricey but ok with us considering the convenience and 'al fresco' ambience (foodies that we are). Cool