Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.31.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone - goodbye, 2017.

Saturday's workouts:

Dave59 (3.15 morning miles in the park in 25° temps to get over 100 mile month goal)

Jlynne (on the TM at the Y)

RunnerKSA (8.1 morning miles in the gloom with dropping temps)

Tomwhite (50 min HH with hillage in temps feeling like the 20s)

Henrun & Marj (lots 'o walking in town in 13° temps)

Mike (8 mile alumni run in -14° with 11mph wind)

Quickadder (20 morning miles, some with the group, at 9:35 pace [goal MP] in 52° temps)

Twocat (18 TM miles with 1st Lord of the Rings movie - a PR)

Bioguy (8 slogged miles in cold, sunny weather)

Tramps (5 miles in 20° with a dusting)

Analogkid (10 progressive morning miles with threshold pace for the last 2 in low 50s dry weather)

C-R (6+ miles in sunny, windy weather)

Stumpy (3.2 overdressed morning miles in 9-12° temps)

Enke (3 miles with walking breaks and a little knee strain)

Spacityrunner (3 miles on easy trails in 39° fabulous weather)

Holly (14.2 side street miles to get over 2K yearly mile goal)

Evanflein (8.1 TM miles with better hip & shin)

Deeze (1 post-work mile on a friend's TM)

Congrats on the goal & prime, Dave. Gotta watch those wayward headlamps.

Wow - dumber than a car. Well, I've been called worse things.

Mike, I get cold just looking at that photo. Funny comment by TW about the smug cars in the background.

So nice to hear from Enke again. Good luck with the job transition. Please stick around.

Holly, that Relive of your workout made me dizzy. Congrats on your 2K for the year.

Analog, glad you're tough enough to take the abuse, and to give it right back! You'll do just fine here.

Deeze, I can't believe they just gave Justin transportation money and sent him on his way - how is that not totally irresponsible? Regardless, I hope Justin sticks to the new plan almost as much as you do, for both his and your well-being.

Fatozzig, the girls are 16 and 20. I woke up the older one easily and successfully. She stuck a finger in her sister's ear to wake her up. I'm glad I didn't try that!

We spent quite a few hours cooking and hanging in the kitchen or adjacent den (with a fire going), and we played the Archie Bunker game for a couple of hours along the way. Then we sat to a delicious dinner, and then more fun in front of the fire.

Some of the outdoor First Night activities in Boston and other local towns have been canceled (including our town's fireworks on the beach) because of the cold, which is disappointing, but a good move.

5.5 early RW miles in 5° with some westerly winds. Wasn't bad, except for going into the wind.

Have a greta New Year's Eve, and a greta start to your 2018!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Haven't posted in awhile (DH been doing it for me), but wanted to stop in and say Happy New Year to all!  Healing vibes to those hurting and continued good health to everyone else.  May the wind be at everyone's back.

We're off shortly to buy caviar to celebrate with DS and family.  As Jay mentioned, lots of things have been cancelled - we generally did the family fireworks (7 pm) which worked well for us 'old folks'.  Thanks Jay for your recaps and I'm in awe for you getting out in these temps.

Welcome back enke - and lets hear from all the other lurkers!

marj

...jay//...thank you for the Great ReCaps...........................

they just posted this,

and

you KNOW I gotta get out there

http://wkrn.com/2017/12/30/dangerous-wind-chills-starting-tonight-in-parts-of-middle-tennessee-southern-kentucky/

also,

apparently Southern Runners Freeze to Death easier than other people......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

apparently Southern Runners Freeze to Death easier than other people......

I haven ‘t posted in while either, Marj. I do read about the happenings but never get caught up it seems.  I haven't been running a lot, just a few miles every few days.

We finally got some snow here starting Thursday and then came the cold. It is -21° here (feels like -40°Wink so Minnesota is the new Alaska, ha! We will get above zero on Tuesday. I can’t believe that they cancelled church today but they did. Our pastor lived in Virginia Beach for 8 years so that could explain it!

I’ve been putzing around putting Christmas things away. There is sheet rock dust on everything in the basement storeroom from this remodel project. Sometime soon we need to do a good cleaning and go through each and every box, just not today. Why do we have all this stuff anyway?

Enke, good too have you back! This is really like family, isn’t it?

Mike, you are crazy with that run yesterday!

Happy New Year’s to all of you! We have tickets to a hypnotist show at the auditorium. It gets over at 10pm and I will be ready for bed by then.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy New Year's Eve!

This place has been chatty lately!  Jay, thanks for the recap. Dumber than a car and older than dirt...

Hi Enke!

I was too tired yesterday to post my run:  I did an unofficial trail marathon with some friends at a local state park!  26.3 miles in about 7:20:00.  Lots of steep terrain and beautiful views, and nice weather - in the 40s and sunny, but kind of windy.  Parts of the trail were bare and parts were snowpacked, but very little ice or mud - perfect!  We started with a group of 10 for the first half marathon, so that part was slower, since we waited for everyone at trail junctions, and stopped for pictures at some of the overlooks.  We returned to our cars for an aid station break, to refill water and eat all the food, then 4 of us went  back out for a second lap.  I ran with my friend Siri, from my usual Friday trail gang. It was her farthest run ever, and she did great, although I did most of the talking the last few miles - she was pretty tired!  (It was also her husband's longest run ever -  he was running with a friend of his, not with us, because they're faster.)

I looked up how many miles I need to end the month on a prime number: I need 9.1 miles today.  After the marathon yesterday, that seems like a lot.  My DH suggested I could see about ending the year on a prime number: I only need 4.6 miles!  Sounds achievable!

For the new guys:  back when I hosted the monthly mileage thread on this forum, I gave awards for prime number of miles run, just because I think primes are cool.  Here's a handy chart to plan your runs today to end the month on a prime:

2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67
            71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163
            167 173 179 181 191 193 197 199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Misplaced runner...

4.3 miles of easy running to close out 2017.  I ended December at exactly 150 miles, so no prime end-of-month mileage for me wildchild.  Light northerly winds are ushering in an advancing cold front which will drop our temps considerably (remember we're at 30 deg N) and bring wind chills into the low teens for the next few days.  Hope everyone has a great day to end the year.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

The historical average temps for this week here are highs in the 30's, lows in the 20's, but they are forecasting lows in the negative digits and highs ranging from 8 to 14 degrees.  This kind of weather makes me want to stay home in my fuzzy pants....

4 miles for me on the TM, followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.

We are going to a friend's for a small dinner party tonight, and probably play some games.  I doubt that we will stay until midnight, though - DH and I are generally early to bed folks, and have confidence the New Year will arrive without our help...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I took off my fuzzy pants and headed down to the treadmill.  Just couldn't face the wind.  3.3 miles to end the year with 2011.5.  We don't have any plans tonight.  There is a neighborhood drop in thing, but it starts at 9, and I'm not sure we can get dressed up and head out when we will be wanting to be in our pajamas! 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...yep

wind is a killer today.............heading outside tomorrow........Old Tradition

60-min x-bike

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

After yesterday's LR I was surprised how well I felt this morning. Mainly ran easy-paced (for me) trail miles with DD, but added a couple of short, fast road sections to get to 9.7 miles today, 151 (a prime!) for the month and 1500 (target I set in the RW Masters 60+ group at the start of the year) for the year.

Happy New Running Year ya'll.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

ok - the difference between my Garmin watch and the treadmill is annoying me!!!!

Do I record 1.7 from my watch or count it as 1.8 from the treadmill??? I know - minor problem but sometimes it helps to take my mind off the bigger issues in my life right now!! 

denise

pfriese

So long 2017.

I finished 2017 with a 6 mile treadmill run. Like RunnerKSA, I just could not go out in the wind on a 19o day.

I wanted to run 7 mile on the treadmill to end the month with a prime, but just couldn't stay on it for longer than an hour... sorry wildchild.

deez4boys, I'm not liking my Garmin not agreeing with my treadmill... very annoying... I need to figure out which is out of calibration & re calibrate to achieve synchronicity.

Tomorrow is the last day we can run around the city reservoir as dam repairs will close the dam road. Also, we're looking at single digit temperatures here. So, of course, a group of runners from the running club has planned for one last run around the lake before they close the road. I guess we will find out how stupid I am tomorrow. Though if it is windy, I'm sure it will be another treadmill day.

Have a safe New Years Eve evening.

Paul

Heat wave here. It was only -3° with a -20 wind chill. It will be back to normal tomorrow with a -35

4.1 miles on the Y treadmill was all I could handle today. Did you ever see that movie "Groundhog Day"? Where you wake up and keep doing the same thing over and over and over? I'm thinking I have to find some warm layers and at least try running outside tomorrow.

Hiya Starr! Hiya Enke! Nice to see your posts!

An early dinner party with 3 other couples scheduled for the evening. I'm sure we'll be home before 10:00 which is fine with me.

I'd just like to end 2017 by saying "thank you" to Jay for providing the daily recaps all year. It's been much appreciated. And to those of us dealing with injuries (both running related or personal/family), my wish is for 2018 to be better on all counts.

Stay warm, drive safe people. Happy New Year!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, beautiful day here yesterday....reached the low 50s (sorry).  Got in 7.5 miles yesterday.  Today was colder, upper 20s when I finally ran with some wind.  Got in 7.7 at an 8:02 pace.  Tracking between my two Garmin products (a Forerunner 220 and a Vivoactive 3).  Yesterday they were spot on for distance, but HR was very different (Vivoactive measures at the wrist, chest strap on 220).  Today the distances were off (.05 mile after the 7.7) but the HRs were almost exactly the same.  That gave me 207.2 miles for the month.  Not sure of my annual total yet.  Will be heading to Mass shortly, then will start my red bean and rice going.  My plan is to be out running at midnight (something else I started years ago).  Was helped by a race that happen at my area of Alabama--a 5k that starts 8 minutes before midnight.  It was delayed one year due to lightning and has been postponed this year since temps will be in single digits tonight there....and with the wind....that's really, really cold for us.

Holly S, LOL!  I could have phrased that better...

Have a great New Year's everyone!

Yes, thank you so much Jay.  We appreciate you greatly!    I'm glad to be a member of this group.  Thanks for taking me in and welcoming me after I got booted from my women's group.  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth