Masters Running

Thirsty Thursday (Read 43 times)

Hi Friends!!  Still need to read back the last couple of days but thought I'd get the thread started since Jay must be sleeping in 

5.2 miles at an average pace of 9:14 with my 5:30 am run group!! Love these ladies!! Thought about sleeping in a little more since I am battling a head cold and for the first time in my life strep throat, but glad I went out!!  I went to the dr Tuesday because this vertigo is lingering and I started having right ear pain which I thought might be connected and a sore throat that I just mentioned because it was annoying, so was very surprised the strep test was positive. Been on penicillin since then which I seem to be tolerating ok altho my belly might be starting to protest a little.

I never found my passport so I went into Boston Wed to apply for an expidited passport - the whole system was very smooth but I have to go back in tomorrow afternoon between 4-4:30 to pick it up --- couldn't be a worse time to drive in and out of the city, but my anxiety cant handle the thought of it being mailed to me. I leave for my cruise next Friday and although technically my birth certificate and marriage license is enough for the cruise, if I ever was detained on one of the other islands and couldn't get back to the ship on time I would have a mess of a time getting home without a passport!! I can't wait for next Friday!!! I soooooooooooooo badly need this vacation!!

Have a great day and remember drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces!! (drink water that is!!) 

denise

coastwalker

Mornin' Deeze and everyone.

Not sleeping in this morning, but I'm a little behind shedule, and I took an extra couple a' minutes to chat with DW (always a pleasure) before heading to the office.

I'm sorry about the vertigo, head cold and strep throat, Deeze. Good 5.2 miler with the group in spite of it all. I completely understand wanting to be in control of getting your replacement passport in plenty of time for your cruise. I hope the pick-up (despite the time of the day) and everything else goes smoothly between now and departure time.

Good 4-miler yesterday morning, C-R. I'm also (could you guess?) much happier working out in the morning.

Good Stephen Wright quote, Dave, and good foggy 4. Strange goings-on at the gym.

Sorry about the stomach bug, Catwhoorg. I hope it passes quickly.

Good job helping DW, Stumpy, and a good windy 3.1.

Good 4 for Roch too, in carpy weather.

Thanks, TW, but that brace is pricey. Maybe I just use some duct tape.   I hope the back spasms (never fun) are short-term.

Poor Wilson, Leslie. I hope the Prozac helps.

Good 5 for you and the dog on kitty mountain, Enke.

Sometimes it's good to be disconnected, and sometimes not, Tramps. Glad you go the house cleaned.

Challenging week, indeed! Congrats on keeping your streak alive, BerthaSlayer. Sounds like a great anniversary trip you and DH have planned.

Nice 5 walk-a-mute, Tet. Yeah, everyone wants to be old enough to be legal, then not old enough to be called Sir, but then it becomes OK to get those old person discounts.

Holly, I'd be delighted to have one of your lunches. I hope DD is understanding there are consequences of pushing the envelope a little too far (although she is not, thankfully, pushing it near as far, or in near as harmful ways as other kids do). I don't know that the punishment fits the crime in this case, but that's not my call. Good 6.2 + weights + core.

Good 8 miler before your Debbie dinner, Mike. It is impressive that the kid came back to apologize after almost mowing you down. Of course, it is too bad that he had reason to come back in the first place.

Nice 3.5 on the track, Tammy. How'd the wine and paint thingy go? Was there more wine, or more paint?

Good 8.6 in your 'balmy' 6F temps, Evanflein. Sorry about the headlamp nose bump. I also always have to remember to adjust mine, depending on what headgear I have on.

Good IRD, Steve.

I went 6.2 miles in much more balmy 36F temps and got, after too many days, a brief glimpse of stars through a quick break in the clouds. I'd almost forgotten what the stars look like.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I leave for my cruise next Friday and although technically my birth certificate and marriage license is enough for the cruise, if I ever was detained on one of the other islands and couldn't get back to the ship on time I would have a mess of a time getting home without a passport!! 

Deez, a friend of ours is an airline pilot with international routes and always has his passport with him. But when he and his wife arrived at a dock in Florida for a cruise to the Virgin Islands and beyond, he found he had forgotten it and although he argued vehemently that a friend could get it from his apartment and FedEx it to their destination before they even arrived, they simply would not let him on board. So his wife took that leg without him while he went back for his passport and arranged a flight to meet the ship at its first stop in the V.I.

MikeE, right-turners are a bane of my existence running and biking because they are usually looking to their left for oncoming traffic before making their right on red (often without stopping!), and don't see you in the crosswalk to their right. Numerous close calls followed by gestures etc. on my part!

Even carpier than yesterday outside today, but in any case I'm planning on heading to the gym for a good indoors workout.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..hi guys,

still out waiting for this BackSpasm to let go.....

-===========

just wanted to tell mikeE

how Impressive it was for that kid to apologize to him.

...........and in the Future,

he'll be watching for Runners

..............good running to ya............try to Think Muscle Relaxing Thoughts......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Hi all,

as usual thx for the recap.  we ran/jogged/walked a few miles this morning - totally overdressed for the weather.

Riverwalk, Fort Lauderdale

have a super day

C-R

Thanks for the recap Jay.

Morning exercise is the way to go but I can't do 4am so I wouldn't be a good workout partner for you Jay. Mx run today 1.5 to keep the streak moving. Also did 30 minutes on the bike.

Nice pic from FL.

careful with that back TW

Loss of a passport stinks but not as bad as a DL. Have fun on vaca

Loved that the kid in the truck came back. That young man has a bright future ahead of him, Also, glad he didn't clip you Mike.

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Bertha.  Sunny Cuba sounds wonderful about now.  Enjoy!

Wow, Mike, I've never heard anyone ever report a driver doubling back to check on a runner.  Good for him and I'm glad you're safe.

((Holly)) for all the endless parenting tasks.

Tammy--wine and paint?!  That sounds like it could be a mess.

Erika, this is how I read it in my head:

.... still you've got to nurture the young to teach them to be the citizens you want them to be. Holly

Yes, indeed.  We want them to be Holly.  I also liked your point about spunk.  It's all about channeling that productively.

Steve--and I don't have a cell phone anymore either.  Neanderthal!  (Though I'm re-thinking that decision now.)

Denise--hope you feel better and enjoy that vacation!

TW--sending relaxing back muscle vibes.

Nice pic, Marj.  That looks warm.

Out for 9 miles this morning. Warm again but windy and cooler temps are supposed to be heading our way.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - driving into and out of Boston late on a Friday afternoon - painful, but I agree, it will ease your mind to have passport in hand.  Where will you visit on your cruise?

Henry and Marj - great pic!

Tramps - 

No run for me today.  I had a bit of a stomach ache during the night, and had to take DD to an early dental appointment, so chose to be lazy today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..thanks for The Vibes

Luckily

I keep a calendar log from over a decade ago (for stuff like this)

,,,,,,,,,,,am currently doing 10-min on the X-Bike each hour

which

(if History Repeats Itself) will have this loosened up by the end of the day)

and,

if it doesn't, will go into THIS years log

it's Good to have a Hobby

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Except for thinking of the marj/henry photo
                      all the way, completely uneventful 5-mile
                      ‘mute in a foggy dampness just waiting
                      to rain but never did.  44o.

Maybe impending Cuba and VI will help too.
                      Neat kid, mikeE.
                      Probably amazing parents, too.
                      The problem is that drivers are taught to look
                      “both ways” when it should be three-ways
                      with a quick, final look back again to ensure
                      that a runner, biker, kid, dog, etc.
                      didn’t pop out when we looked away
                      who thought we'd seen them..
                      A truck driver friend goes out of his way to favor
                      left turns, especially at night and in the rain, saying,
                      “there’s lots more blind spots on a right turn.” .
                      speaking of spunk, a MTM snippet in her memory
                      had her blushing and fidgeting in embarrassment
                      when Lou Grant looked her in the eye and said,
                      “you have spunk, kid,” . . . . . . until, after an appropriate
                      pause, he burst out, “I HATE SPUNK!!!!”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 miles at lunchtime.

Cooler temps and 2 days off meant I really had to force myself to keep at an easy pace.

Then get intercepted on my way to the shower to be told I had a meeting moved up to be starting in 5 min. Then straight to another meeting.

So a late lunch is being consumed. I don't do that very well.

#Rungry

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Loved that the kid in the truck came back. That young man has a bright future ahead of him, Also, glad he didn't clip you Mike.

Yep!

Quick flyby . . . .

6 miles this a.m. in very brisk conditions, with a lot of snot rocketing and hacking up of wads of phlegm.  I'm sure I looked like someone who made a New Years resolution to quit smoking and get healthy. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Spunk for Tet.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps no cell either? I can tether my cell to my laptop when all else fails.

BerthaSlayer getting out of the cold is always a nice present to oneself!

Holly S. I do hope things work out for the best for your DD. It sounds like you were cooking up a storm! Terrible expression! Who wants to eat in the middle of a rain storm? 

Mike E some claim a whole month for their birthdays! As to drivers, kids are not my primary fear around my area. Contractors are. They barrel down the local roads in small trucks or their equivalent and will not slow down just to avoid squashing someone.

fatozzig TMI, TMI, TMI!!! 

Somewhat sad news on my end. A guy who has been a general contractor/fix it all for my house passed away unexpectedly a couple of days ago. We were not friends but more than acquaintances. Very sad. I doubt he was much past his early 50s. He had a tough life. Quite a bit of it was self induced. But, he was honest, worked hard and always meant well. I will miss him.

As to running, I went off and ran just under 7 with my training partner. Then we split up since she had an early doctor's appointment. I did another couple of miles and then headed home to make it to my doctor's appointment in time. Nothing serious. Just a general case of O.L.D.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

RIP Mary Tyler Moore. And Chuckles the Clown. One of the best lines from that episode was at Chuckles' funeral and they were remembering some of his funny routines: "a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down my pants"   She will be missed.

Jay, thank you! And Tramps too, for providing "color commentary" on everyone's activities.

Good luck Holly. I remember once when DS#1 played on the varsity football team. He went to a party where alcohol was being served, which was against the code of conduct. The party got busted, and he got suspended from the team for four games. To this day, he swears he wasn't drinking (that's a story for another time). Anyway, the quarterback and a couple of other star players were at the game but also claimed they weren't drinking, and no suspensions were issued to these boys. I was so mad! I sent the coach a letter telling him that I had no problem with the penalty he gave my son, but the penalty should have been given to everyone who was at that party. Instead of suspending the rest of the team, he let my son get away without having to miss any games. That's not the result I was looking for! I could write a book about some of the shenanigans that kid got into. She will cause a few gray hairs, I'm sure...

3.5 miles in icy, windy conditions this morning. But it was still 33° so much too nice to be shackled to a treadmill.

Have a great evening everyone!