Masters Running

Turkey Trots and Pumpkin Pie (Read 447 times)

Good morning everyone. I'd like to apologize to you all for my childish behavior on Tuesday. There are some people in this world who choose to not treat others with dignity and respect, but I like to think I'm more mature and can avoid interaction with these people that get me into trouble. You are wonderfully kind and caring people - and I'm glad I have the opportunity to share my running world and experiences with you. With that said, I'm off to do a 5 mile turkey trot, then cook dinner for my family. Peace, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Renee the dog

Yea! Jlynne started the daily! I'm sitting here doing NOTHING but contemplating my run at 9 a.m. No race, just run. I don't get the luxury of choosing my running time usually, so that's my declared start time today.
      NoNo: You did 7 miles in an hour? With a cold? Wow...
      DickyG: Yes. I am fortunate that there's a lot of trash cans all over the island. I swear running makes my head colds manageable so I don't have to take any OTC drugs and get dopey(er). Big grin
      Nono - my left knee is hurting too, not from running, but from bending at the knees to save my back from doing any bending. I feel like a house of cards, one part hurts, the others try to compensate but just fall apart themselves. Such a delicate balance.
      enke: Yes, it is such a balance! And I get so P.O.ed when things like chores start to make me hurt and possibly cut into my running! Cause it ain't the running! Smile I sure hope all your parts settle down and get back to playing nicely together. It's no fun when they are not. Good runs, Trots, socializing etc. to all!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hope the 5 miler is a good one for you. Let us know how it turns out. Is this a race or a daily run?
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        anachrotech

Got in 2 miles on the treadmill this morning in preparation for dinner - I'm cooking. I bought a 22 lb bird and found out afterwards that 30% of my guests decided not to come. *sigh* Whole lotta leftovers. Good runs and dinners all.
            Jlynne, you might recall a similar posting I made several months ago after a similar episode. I for one am glad you decided to stay! I couldn't seem to talk myself into registering to run the 5K Turkey Trot this morning. And I'm trying to make sure that when I race I'm mentally all there. So I decided to do a 10.1 mile GA training run this morning. I think I made the right choice because I didn't feel much zip this morning. So just kept cruising without much push and ended up with 10.1 miles at 8:54 min/mile pace. After the 1st 2 miles which were over 9 mins/mile, every mile was between 8:52 and 8:41. Not too bad, but no energy. On this Thanksgiving Day, I want to extend a big thank you to all my Virtual friends here. You are always encouraging and accepting. Be Thankful for everything the Good Lord has given you on this day. Even with the economy as it is and with the news overseas, we have been given many Blessings. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy Thanksgiving to All...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Hill Runner

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! ...No formal Turkey Trot for me but I may get out there later this morning and do a short run. Enjoy the day!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Kewl, Jlynne is still with us...that just made my Thanksgiving Day better!!!...thanks. Well, I really miss not running my Turkey Trot this morning...but there could be worse things, huh? Hope each and one of you have a wonderful day. I am thankful today to have such wonderful and caring friends here at RA. Hope all have nice runs and races if you are running today...already some good runs this morning. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

DickyG

Hope everyone is having...and will continue to have...a wonderful holiday. Only one of my four children was able to make it home..so we're having a small Thanksgiving. But Friday night is the real fun for us. We always have tons of people over...everyone brings their leftovers and we have a huge party. Tammy:
                    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. For us, it's about being with family, sharing good food, helping out those in your community, etc. It's not all hyped and commercialized. And you don't go into credit card debt over it. Plus, there's football
                    Don't think anyone could have said it better. Enke:
                    Sometimes I walk before a run, sometimes I don't Sometimes I walk after a run, well usually I do, just a little Sometimes I stretch after a run, sometimes I don't Sometimes I stretch before a run, sometimes I don't
                    I am now taking other stuff off the fridge so I can put up more Enkeisms... Holly: When my dad was alive, we sort of agreed that we would give each other presents that the giver really wanted. So usually dad would give me something like a few bottles of Jack Daniels (his favorite) and I would give him a few dozen golf balls...then we'd swap and all was well. Bill:
                    After the 1st 2 miles which were over 9 mins/mile, every mile was between 8:52 and 8:41. Not too bad, but no energy.
                    Nope...not too bad at all...only wish I had that kind of energy. Jeanne: That's absolutely great you're back! But now we'll have to talk about somebody else behind their back. Hope all the Turkey Trot racers post great reports. They don't have one within an hour of home so I just ran 4.1 miles all by my lonesome...36:08 (8:49)...got my max HR up to 160. (Possible) word to the wise..no need to get up early for the Black Friday specials...not only will most of them be there later in the season, the prices might even get lower. Same-store retail sales are projected to drop by about 6% this season...the stores will be desperate for customers. Unfortunately, I have to work most of today...at least I have a TV in my office... Have a wonderful day, everyone! DickyG
                      wooohoooo Jlynne!! quick post -- worked all night - mostly quiet in the OB triage area all night so switched to the 5mile instead of the 5K race in the Feaster Five 5mile - 44:21 for avg pace of 8:51 sooooooooo happy!! my younger 2 boys ran the 5k - so fun!! now off to sleep for a couple of hours then over to my brother's house for dinner!! soooooooo much to be thankful for on this beautiful day -- may you all have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving Day!!

denise

4 figure 8 loops of the neighborhood with DW for 5 miles easy in 48:35. Everything seems back to normal after the Half last Sunday. I apparently missed some discussion about weight the last couple of days. I remember the philosophy from some intelligent man who said, "weight is just a number, how you carry it is much more important". I don't what happened to cause some hurt feeilngs but I hope everyone takes a step back and remembers what this site is all about sharing running experiences, helping and encouraging others to enjoy many years of running. Running for 19 years and I have never done a turkey trot I've never gone shopping on Black Friday Going for dinner to an uncle of DW so I won't even get any leftovers for tomorrow. Everyone have a very Happy Thanksgiving! THANKS

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Since I'm doing the cooking, no official turkey trot for me, as closest is in Huntsville. But, I did get out and do a 3.5 slooowly on a beautiful Tennessee morning. I am thankful that I am employed, the market has come back a bit, I have lots of food to share w/ family and that my DD is coming home today w/ my gorgeous, talented SIL. Oh yeah, and that I am ABLE to run and for this wonderful support group and, and, well, you get the idea. Blessings to all! Helen

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Jeanne – I am so happy you’re back! I just dug through my old e-mails this morning to find your address and was going to send you a plea to return. You have nothing to apologize for. Anachrotek – turkey freezes well. Denise - great job! 10.05 miles for me today: 2 mile WU, 5 mile race, 3.05 mile CD My HR is so weird on race days – shoots through the roof before I even get started. Normally, my first mile jogging slowly, my HR is about 115. Today, I left the house to jog the 2 miles downtown to the race start and my HR was immediately 177-189. At a 10:00 pace. (!?) Nervous pre-race jitters, maybe? Confused Quick race report. This is the 4th year I’ve run the Miamisburg Turkey Trot, but now that I live here, I can just run to the race and back home afterward. 25-27 degrees at the start. Roughly 5,000 people registered converge on this small town. Flat out and back along a 2-lane road leading out of the quaint downtown area. Mile 1: 8:38, ave HR 178 weaving in and out of huge crowd Mile 2: 8:22, ave HR 205 still weaving in and out of huge crowd (can't believe this HR!) Mile 3: 8:25, ave HR 174 crowd begins to thin, feeling strong and steady Mile 4: 8:26, ave HR 157 HR is dropping, but legs are tiring Mile 5: 7:59, ave HR 157 Stoopid HR refuses to go up, although I’m giving what feels like my best effort. Garmin time: 42.03 (ave pace 8:22, ave HR 174) (official results aren’t up yet) I am not at all unhappy with this time, although it’s almost 3 minutes slower than last year. It’s better than I thought I would do, and felt like a good, hard effort, maybe not quite all that I had to give, but a good measure of where I am now, and a number to plug into McMillan and get some workout paces. I remember thinking, “I feel strong, I feel good, this is hard but I CAN DO IT!” I LOVE that feeling! As we were being herded into the chute to collect our finisher medals and give up our chips. I noticed clouds of steam in the air, and wondered if there was a hot dog vender or coffee stand ahead. After a minute I realized that IT WAS US! The overheated runners had steam practically billowing off us. Off to my dad and SM’s for the big meal. I for one will try not to go hog-wild today, because the tummy troubles I have all evening afterward are just not worth it. Moderation, I keep telling myself. Plus I told DH NOT to let me set up camp near the chips and dip and cheese table - my true downfall at these events... Smile Hope all of you have a great day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Took Peter's advice and ran my out and back 7 miler a little longer so I could walk 1/4 mi at the end. My 7 mi run was in 1:00:10. Thought that number looked kewl in my log, so I typed it again here. Still like it. I guess 1:01:01 would be kewler. I'll try for that on Sat. Wink Left another good portion of my cold in the trash cans along my route. Came home with a blister that I was trying to avoid by using a blister bandage (bad idea apparently) and a bloody sock from I-can't-figure-out-what on one of my littler toes. Never had that happen before. Had no inkling so I was a bit Shocked to see a red sock when I took off my shoes. Now to plan for my nap. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Had no inkling so I was a bit Shocked to see a red sock when I took off my shoes.
                                Nono, that's always a sign to me that it's time to trim my toenails: when they get too long, a corner on a nail will start cutting into the next toe, but I never catch this until I'm on a run. Roll eyes Didn't have the ambition to get up at 5:30AM or whatever to drive to downtown Detroit in the dark and cold just to pay $40 to run a 10K with about 10K other runners (not to mention finding a place to park with the parade crowds also gathering!), so went to my favorite local park and did just about 10K solo at a 9:30 pace on a chilly but pleasant morning. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! P.S. Was it just my imagination, or did Meg (jdmom3) actually make an appearance here recently? The CoolRunners among us have certainly missed her since before CR went under.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"