Masters Running

Fryday's Daily, 9.27.13 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great photo of the mystery guest (not) at Walden Pond. The Pond rarely looks that good!

Byll, I have dreams most nights, but they vaporize when I wake up. Probably just as well... Sorry about your other medication side effects.

Tramps, that's the 2nd time in a week that I heard of someone swerving out of the way of a squirrel. The other person is car-shopping too... Glad that Tribee (and the squirrel) is OK. DW has an Outback and loves it - comfortable car, not too big, great in foul weather, and good for hauling gear.

Wildchild and CNY, I lived in Manhattan for a year when I worked there, and when I was dating DW, in the late 70s. It was great fun for a while, but I have no desire to live there again. The building we lived in had just converted from a hotel to apartments, and our place was absurdly cheap, especially for a building with a door man just a block off Central Park.

Good idea to use "safe search" when researching lawn forking, Dave.

Thanks for the calculator, TomW. I appreciate that you posted it in the spirit of being helpful, rather than to stir the pot. DW has to deal with that (her current policy is not "ACA-compliant"), so I'll pass it on to her.

JLynne, I'll bet your charm will melt that lane hog.

Tough duty for DS2, Evanflein. Like Tet, I appreciate his good works (and Mariposai's DS too).

I had a long and intense day yesterday, and was exhausted by the time I plopped on my pillow last night. 4 o'dark came and went this morning, and I didn't drag my sorry butt out of bed till after 5. So I just did some stretching and core work with the cat instead.

Looks like a 5K to a 50K on the racing schedule for this weekend. Wishing IRC and big smiles to all our racers!

Have a greta Fryday.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Fryday to all.  Makes me think of growing up in Rochester--the Friday fish fry was a big deal at a lot of restaurants.  My Mom was really into it, and we're not even Catholic.  Not sure how that started.

5.1 miles this morning on yet another IRC morning.  It felt harder than I thought it should, but I did at least end up with an average pace that was a few seconds less than I saw for the first mile.

5 to 50K.  the diversity of races certainly reflects the site's.  good running to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Happy Friday.

Good luck to all the racers!

09/28 wildchild - Sundance Trail Run 50k, Sundance WY

09/28 IBleedUnionBlue - Fort Wayne (Fort4Fitness) Half Marathon

09/29 CNYrunner - Nahant 30k, Nahant MA

09/29 OrangeMat - Hamilton School 5k, Glen Rock, NJ

6 mile recovery run today.  That put me over the 2000 mile mark for the year. Smile

ETA. I just noticed it's Google's 15th "birthday."  Hard to remember life before Google, isn't it?

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I think I'll race again tomorrow too, maybe a 5-miler. Then next week's 20K trail race with Liz, the former LizinDC, will make six weeks in a row of racing. After that, I'll back off a bit.

If anyone was fortunate enough to be at last night's Yankee game, save that ticket. It will be worth a fortune one day.

3.4 easy paced miles with my RP this morning.  We continue to have warm but comfortable sunny weather.  Have a good weekend all.  Spareribs

Good morning all!

Thanks for the start Jay. I don't think I'd ever want to live in NYC, but I have relatives there and one of my uncles lives in Peter Cooper Village (Stuyvesant Town) and it's still incredibly cheap---last of the rent control hanging on.

Ran 7.5 miles this am with two of my teammates---bike path and trails in Amherst and then coffee after. Good times. I have a light client call day and will go apple picking this afternoon with the kiddo and his girlfriend (no school for them today---teacher professional development day)

The 30k race I am tackling on Sunday should be fun and only the second time I've raced this distance. One of my teammates was bemoaning the fact that her PR days are over (she is only 35---Puh-Leeze!) I told her to race distances like 30k, 12k, 15k etc when they come up and she'll have lots of insta-PRs. Or take my lead and make the age-graded tables your friend! I tend to think that PRs only really last for two years anyway---a time I ran in my 20s or even 30s has no bearing on my life and running now. Anyway....

Tramps---I scored 68 on the Google site, you?..HBD to them.

Things are much better in the butt department.  Started getting relief Wed evening, and all I can say about that is OW!!!!! and YUCK!!!!!!

You guys and gals are a riot.  I'll have to look into that whole "forking the lawn" thing.  Something about that just doesn't sound, well, legal.

Beautiful pic of Erika!  And yeah, and of the lake, too. Wink

Thank goodness the squirrel survived!!!

Hawaii?  Wishing I was there right about now instead of Portland, because . . . .  this weekend's weather forecast is calling for epic weather from WA down through OR and into the Cascades.  Expecting 2-5 inches of rain in our area of the Cascades alone.   . . . . . . . C-R-A-P.  I had to buy some rain gear and am having to borrow running clothes from Karen because I didn't come prepared for that kind of weather.  The last time I looked at the weather report, it was all suppose to pass by this weekend.

So things are going to be interesting - for the runners, volunteers, the poor RDs, everyone.  . . . . . .  Anybody got a life vest???

Will let you know how things work out.  See you on the flip side ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

PNW is not really being cooperative right now, Leslie. that's a bummer. Even here in So. Oregon where we are typically still in 80-90's til October, we are in winter-like weather. down close to freezing at night and only getting to 60ish during the day. Fortunately, tomorrow should be nicest day of the week before turning to crap again and I'm working an aid station at a trail run for 5 hrs. Last year, I cursed that race for starting at noon in 90+ heat. This year I'm thankful it's an afternoon race where temps will be warmest!

David had a good XC meet yesterday. Was 1 second off his PR. Ran 3K in 10:58 for 4th OA. The three that finished before him are the top 3 in the state also but he's closing the gap between him and his nemesis so he's happy with his progress.

Tammy

Tramps, we'll miss you in the Swamp.  Just about the time I'm catching the pace bunny again, I'm going to have to let him pull away.  I've been sharpening for the marathon and now it's time to taper.  Only 5.3 miles today but I'll go over 200 for the month tomorrow!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Happy Fryday everyone!!

Jay - thanks for the catch up and starting us off!!  It's been another rough week around here so sorry to be missing in action again.

Justin's gf called me while I was out running with a friend Tuesday and said she didn't know what to do - Justin wasn't talking, just standing around staring and had gone out to the street and was just standing by the side of the road and wouldn't come in with her.  And so it began again.  As soon as I could finish my run I went to them and he looked at me with relief and collapsed in my arms.  He was so confused and paranoid.  I took him to a crisis center and after a long evaluation they told him he needed to go back in the hospital - almost wish I took him straight to the ER, but not sure he would have gone.  The long wait between the time they finished the evaluation, called the hospital for a bed, called the insurance company for clearance and then the ambulance arrival was so long and his confusion and paranoia built.  He wouldn't get on the stretcher for the EMT's and even after much coaxing by them and me, they had to call the police.  Listening to him being physically restrained again was heartbreaking.  He ended up back at Holy Family Hospital, his gf met us there, and the wait in the ER was hours - poor guy, so confused and not understanding what happened again.  Last night we finally convinced him to start taking medicine again and to sign the release form so the social worker, doctor and nurses have permission to speak with me.  They told him they would have to court order him if he didnt start taking meds, and even tho he has started they are still filing the papers for him to be committed in case he refuses again.  My heart just breaks for him - seeing him go thru this yet again.  The good thing this time is now his gf and her family have a better understanding of his illness and that he really needs medicine and not just "people to talk with".  He's also been very open to my dh and I being there this time and wants us there - said he feels safe talking with me.

Also this week, my 11yr old nephew finished his chemo treatments, had 2 days of radiation and had his bone marrow transplant last night!! The procedure went well and now we just pray his body accepts the new stem cells and it cures his CGD.

Thanks for letting me ramble -- my running therapy has included 6.2 miles Tuesday, 12.6 Wednesday and 10.2 today - now making butternut squash soup and trying to be productive until I can see Justin at 6pm.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily!!  Have a safe weekend!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Friday.

Good luck to all the racers!

09/28 wildchild - Sundance Trail Run 50k, Sundance WY

09/28 IBleedUnionBlue - Fort Wayne (Fort4Fitness) Half Marathon

09/29 CNYrunner - Nahant 30k, Nahant MA

09/29 OrangeMat - Hamilton School 5k, Glen Rock, NJ

Add me in there, with the Germantown 50k, Germantown, OH.....

{{{Deez and family}}}

2.4 miles for me this morning, with some striders.

Somehow I feel extremely undertrained for this one, but hey, there's a 9 hour cutoff....surely I can get done before then...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{{{ deez }}}}}}}

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, my kids turned me onto this....you just have to take 3 minutes to watch this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

This is an actual music video by a Norwegian band called Ylvis - not just hilarious, but musically quite catchy..I was rolling with laughter before it was over...and now I can't get the song out of my head....

If you go to youtube and watch some of their other songs, also hilarious...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Early run-commute to work to start the day and 10 hours later I ran-cummuted home.

Denise I was in oncology at MGH in the 80s. When we did a bone marrow transplant at that time, it involved a 6-week hospital admission and anything that entered the room had to be dunked in a bleach solution. My how times have changed. Sending best wishes to your nephew.

Good luck to all our racers!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

wildchild

Carolyn

Hugs to Deez, Justin, and the whole family.  So sorry he's going through this again.

Holly, I saw that video a few weeks ago - very funny!  Hey - good luck at your 50k tomorrow!  We'll be running 50ks at about the same time, and I'll be thinking of you out there running too!    Yours looks close to home - bonus!   It took me almost 7 hours to drive to Sundance WY today - hope I finish the race in less time than it took to drive here... although I'm not counting on it.  There might be snow overnight, but it's supposed to be clear and a high of 60 tomorrow.  I talked to my DH, and he said it's snowing at home.   Roll eyes

Leslie, are you and Kate doing the Mountain Lakes 100 miler?  A friend of mine is doing that one too, and she said the forecast was 5-10" of rain!  AACK!   I think I'll shut up about the snow now.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly and deez - thanks for sharing the sagas in your lives that make running so crucial all of ujs runners at one time or the other.  We’ll be thinking of you when we’re out on our own with time to think without distraction what we need to think. Glad you’ll be running too. You are both really wonderful mothers with very lucky kids.  Good luck to the misplaced Alaskan in Hawaii too and mariposai’s DS learning two more languages to the three or four he already knows
                                ps holly - enjoy nine hour cutoffs while you can; it took me the full extent of the Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run to get to 50K for a new PW PR last year.

I hope leslie can stash dry clothes for Kate (and her) along those last, long 30 miles.

Do pacers usually have such long legs?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)