Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 8.4.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Tramps (20 morning bike miles, pushing the pace)
    Jlynne (7 TM miles at the Y, + 30 min of weights & core + 45 min spin class)
    Henrun (3.2 sweaty morning miles)
    RunnerKSA (4.9 miles, including 2.8 in the AM, and 2.1 post-work TM)
    Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters, + 3 X 10 min)

Holly (3 post-thunderstorms, early morning miles)

Mike (6 miles in 'freezing' 55° temps)

Spacityrunner (2.5 sunset miles in 85°Wink

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles, 8 post-work bike miles)

Evanflein (6.2 lunchtime miles with some tempo miles thrown in)

Nice cuteness on your ride, Tramps. Glad there were no close encounters involved.

Sorry about the sore back, Dave. Good idea to get far away from ‘ground zero’ yesterday.

That’s a heck of a workout you had yesterday, Jlynne. Fingers crossed that DS#2 finds his way out of his hole.

You’re right, RunnerKSA - getting older requires adjusting, just as it has every day since we were born. Keep focusing on what you can accomplish, and being out there.

Congrats on running pain-free, Wildchild. That’s a great accomplishment at any age. I’m glad DH’s stress test didn’t show any problems, although I’m sure he still wants an answer/resolution. Congrats to your friend on her amazing run!

Evanflein, I also look at old PRs, but more out of curiosity than sorrow. Rather than feel bad about not being able to match those times again, I look forward to how I can do against my current AG. I hope you feel better today.

You had a good boss at the university in Cardiff, Catwhoorg.

Congrats on 30 years of wedded whatever it is, Fatozzig. Marriages have lots of ups and downs, and we all just hope for more ups than downs.

You’ve got some fast friends at any age, Tet!

I'm glad DD is feeling better, Holly. Bummer about the dense cloud cover, but today sounds like it should be good. Fun photo!

I'm very sorry to learn about your BIL's issues, Mike. I hope he's comfortable.

I hope that funk is behind you Spacityrunner.

6.9 RW miles at J o'clock in 66° muggy darkness. I started easy and got a little faster with each mile, so I was working fairly hard by the time I got back home.

I have an early morning app't., so I'm outta here.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Yesterday was a rough day. My 20 mile run started fine. I felt pretty strong for a good part of it. But the dew point was near 70 (air only a frog can love) and it eventually drove me into the ground. At least the run is finished and that means next week is a cut back week. If the run was the day's end it would have been a pretty good day nevertheless. At 5pm it was off to the doctor for a tongue biopsy. I have had some sores on it that would not heal. Doctor says it is not cancer. But to find out exactly what it is they need a sample. The post surgical pain has been awful! Kept me up a good chunk of the night. It seems to be subsiding a bit this morning. I am not sure what, if anything, I can do about food. Drinking water hurts. On the plus side, (1) losing a pound or so would help my race times and (2) my DW is working from home to take care of me. Nice to have her company, even if I am pretty awful company myself this morning.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

((hugs))

no run today, off to dig...

and for my quotes of the day (thanks to 92 year old friend who died a few months ago)

getting old is not for sissies!

I also have a t-shirt "aged to perfection"

marj

3.1 this morning and that's it for today.

Twocat- that sounds horrible!  The tongue is pretty necessary for ANY eating or drinking and that must feel really painful.

Planning to meet the 6am group tomorrow morning for a 12 mile run and a change of scenery.  I may or may not have anyone my pace (or even near me), but at least it's a planned route with an aid station set up.  Plus- it will be over early and over on Saturday!  Our weather is supposed to be good tomorrow.

My version of practicing law includes dealing with issues surrounding the sale of live baby chicks.  Fall "chick days" have started so here we go with PETA, regulations on the disposal of DOA chicks etc.   They are very cute, though, and sold only for agricultural purposes.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

A couple sets of a core workout today and a 36 minute walk (half up hill and half down).  That will give me a point in the company wellness thing.  1 point per 30 minutes of exercise or 5000 steps up to 250 for the year (3 points per day max.)  (I don't do the step counting thing so mine is all walking, running, or gym stuff.)

There is a year long wellness incentive campaign at work and I have passed the Bronze ($100) level.  Silver ($250) should be easy if there isn't any major changes in life, but getting to Gold ($500) will be tight.  I'll have to go to a nutritional coaching session, get a flu shot, and get credit for good blood pressure.  When they take my blood pressure at work it is always a bit too high to get the points I need, but at the doctor's office it always a lot better so I need a note from my doctor.  I got my LDL into a range for some points but my HDL dropped below the desired range.  I don't know if I can do anything about that one.

There are also a bunch of other things in the challenge.  Points for things like normal races I already do, workshops, lunch-and-learn sessions, etc.  I never got involved before but this year decided to see what I could do.

Good morning folks. Thanks again for your recap Jay.

Twocat - ouch! I'll bet there was no hot coffee with your un-breakfast this morning. I hope the pain eases up.

Have fun in the dirt Marj!

Nice runs and workouts KSA and Dave. And Dave? I say go for the gold!

Happy Birthday to Mike - the best father and cross country coach ever. I hope your day goes better than the last few. You deserve it!

Safe travels home Holly, and I hope your DD is feeling better. Why do kids always seem to get sick on vacation?

It was raining, windy and 59° at 5 this morning. DH and I had a 7:00 tee time. I bailed out and went to the Y. 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. I was going to stay for a TRX class but I got a call from my DIL who has just come off 3 days of 7:00 PM - 7:00 AM shifts in the ER. She said she could use some sleep and wanted to know if I'd hang out with the boys for a few hours. Hmmmm......what to do with 3 boys ages 7, 6 and 4 on a rainy day? They've already seen every kids' movie that came out recently. I better think fast - they're on their way over!

Have a great Friday people.

Tramps

Happy Birthday to Mike - the best father and cross country coach ever. I hope your day goes better than the last few. You deserve it!

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy Birthday, Mike!  I sure am sorry about your BIL.  It sounds like he's at peace with his decision. Praying he's able to be kept comfortable for the time he has left.

2Kitty - Ouch!!  

I got so used to not getting up at O-dark 30 while on the injured reserve list, that it's now hard for me to get up early to get in my workout before work. SO, I brought my bag-o-stuff and will either run at lunch or take off early from work and run, since I got here an hour early.  The Hub and I are going to the Crabs baseball game tonight (last weekend of the season) so I can't dally too much after work.

Rambling On

Our local legal professionals association is struggling with membership and participation.  That's nothing new, but the last two years, it's really taken a hit.  Last night we had a great speaker, the supervising attorney from the Self-Help Center at the courthouse.  They do a ton of family law, but also unlawful detainers, small claims . . . and I can't remember what else.  It's nothing that I'm involved in, but it was a great talk and we had her talking for almost 2 hrs.

There were  of us there, three of whom were board members (the whole non-participation thing).  Granted, trying to have a meeting in the middle of the summer isn't the best idea, but I'd say most of the members are not gone on vacation.  Case in point, one of the young woman I work with (Amy) who has been a member for years but never comes to the meetings.

So our president sends out an email this morning about how good the meeting was, blah, blah, blah.  Amy comes into my office and starts talking about how she doesn't go to the meetings because there doesn't seem to be a clear objective, the guest speaker topics don't apply to her, she didn't know we gave out scholarships yadda, yadda, yadda.  I looked her in the eye and said, "Well, it's kind of hard to complain about the association and what is and isn't happening and what it's objective is if you don't participate.  If there are specific topics or speakers you'd like, you have to let the people in charge know."  Amy: "I guess you can't complain if you don't participate."  Me: "Nope, you can't."  . . . My tolerance level appears to be very limited these days. 

Rambling Off

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, FRIENDS ~~~

Image result for HAPPY faces

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Happy Birthday Mike.

Stretch my lunchtime run out to 6 miles, on a low desk bound day at work I needed a bit extra motivation/kick to see me through the afternoon.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mariposai

Happy birthday Mike! I hope you have a fun day.

Twocat, hugs to you my buddie.

No running, no walking, no nada for me since Tuesday. The air quality is HAZARDOUS in the whole valley due to the forest fires in Canada.

Back to work. I am finishing up a report, so not much time to play.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...Happy B'Day mikeE.......

....twocat//........would an IceBag be tolerable??

===========

rain off and on here

......4x10= 40min

.................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Happy Birthday MikeE

Back from the dig - we started a new pit and found a gas pipe - probably unused, but needed to wait for the gas company.  biked home and am now clean and comfortable in air conditioning!

jlynne - there's always baking cookies, ball, and running around the block - good luck! (forgot about the baby sitter of last resort - tv or computer games) - good luck!

mta: Mo won the 10,000 in Worlds London in 26.49!

Marathon Maniac #957

There were  of us there,

How many is that?   

And Happy Anniversary!

Have you thought about having one of the law firms sponsor food for the meetings?  I have found that free food will bring more people, even if it is just pizza.  Also, maybe have some of the meetings after work and some during the workweek at lunchtime?  Some firms will count a paralegal association meeting as a worktime event, and this could bring those who have too many after-work commitments to come to the other meetings.

Twocat - ouch!

KSA - I love baby chicks!

Mike - ditto to what Jlynne said.  Hope you are able to carve out some Mike time today.

No run for me today.  Lots of driving and a little walking at overlooks.  I am not getting on the scale for a week.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, you may be surprised at how you've done on your trip with all the hiking you've done. How'd everyone adapt to the elevation?

Ouch, twocat, that's gotta hurt. I know how bad biting my tongue feels, can't imagine having someone cut a piece out of it! Does ice help?

Leslie, what Holly said. Both on the meeting times and finding a sponsor for snacks. Food is an amazing motivator for a variety of things.

Dave, yes, go for the Gold! I like to hear about others' incentive programs. Some sound pretty complicated. I think ours is pretty straight forward but you should hear people complain about it. And for the most part, we're just trying to get people to do the things they need to do anyway! We give points for a dental exam, wellness exam (physical or "well woman" exam, etc), vision exam, no tobacco use, getting an adult immunization (anything, doesn't have to be a flu shot), and getting 150,000 steps a month (that's 5k steps a day). You can also take classes online, do coaching, go to the gym, etc, etc. We give lots of options, and you just need 5 points in a year, plus get the bloodwork screening (results don't matter, just know your numbers) and take the personal health assessment online. That's it. Do the bloodwork, the "PHA, and get 5 points. You have a year to do it. And we give you back $600. And $600 for your spouse if they do it. It's like pulling teeth to get people to do this.

Half marathon tomorrow and the weather looks ideal: sunny and low 60's at the start. The way my year has been going, I'm going to be thrilled with anything under 1:50 but we'll see how it goes. I did an easy 4.4 today and everything feels good.

Great pictures, Holly.   We head to Colorado in less than 2 weeks. We go to Crested Butte every August for a few days.  I can't wait.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth