Masters Running

Does anyone know anything about hamstring injuries? (Read 343 times)

I am so frustrated. I had back to back hamstring pulls. Last year it was the right leg. Year before it was the left. This time it is not healing. I have hardly run at all since December. My range of motion is limited and my leg is constantly stiff and sore. I have been in PT since Dec7th and doing twice monthly massages. My orthopedic surgeon ordered an MRI but I have to wait 4 weeks for that. Ugh. My leg is strong and I have no problem working out, swimming, cycling, skiing or other exercises. But when I run every step is painful and stiff and it takes a few days to heal. I dont get it. I warm up, stretch, run lightly, stretch and ice after every run. I stretch and do yoga religiously. But nothing helps the run. I will take any advice I can get right now. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm of no help really with your inquiry, but one thing I tell everyone who is injured is...stop stretching sore or injured areas. You will get some good responses I am sure, but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Sorry you are having this issue though. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

For the past 3 years I have been plagued with sciatica, hamstring, piriformis area strains and such, causing pain and limiting my range of motion, so I sure sympathize. Since I am injury-free right now and my range of motion in the legs seems to be back I have to attribute all of it to the PT work that I did. Therefore, it would be useful if you could share with me what you are doing in PT and I'll send you the stuff I am doing. It worked wonders for me, but took a couple of months. You may write me directly at: spareribs823 at gmail dot com. Spareribs
          flyin, I can't give any advice but I can sympathize with you as I dealt with a hamstring injury for months last year. At first I tried to run through it then started cutting back distance and skipping runs. If it felt a little better, I would try a little longer run unless it got too bothersome. Eventually, it got better. I probably did it all wrong, but I understand the frustration. Good luck. TomS
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

You might stop into a running specialty store with experienced staff that could look at your running gait. Everyone has variations on their running gait. There may be something with yours that is triggering a hamstring problem. I'm not sure if orthotics could impact a ham issue, but that is another area to look into. I'll differ to the wiser Spareribs for anything else...
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
            PJH

I've had two hamstring pulls in my 6 years of running, both in the left leg. They were very 'acute' when they occurred, meaning they hurt like heck and shut me right down. I literally had to take about 3-4 weeks off with no running. It was about 6 weeks before I was back running at somewhat normal mileage. Not to discourage you and everyone is different, but this was my experience. It sounds like your PT is allowing you to continue running. Mine recommended no running. I had acupuncture and massage treatments, and did recommended stretching exercises. But there was no quick solution. It just took time. When I did start back, my PT had me ease back with a very slow build - 10 min to start, 20 min , 30 min ... every other day, that sort of thing ... as long as there was no pain, I could keep building. Not sure what the right answer is for you. The good news is that you can still do a lot of cross training. Good luck. Hope you heal quickly. PJ ETA - my current lower ab issue is partly due to tight hamstrings. Seems like this is a chronic thing for me. I'm becoming very disciplined in stretching my hamstrings regularly.
                Thanks all for the responses! Tim, could I be reinjuring it by stretching it while it is still injured? Busiman, thanks. Thats a good idea and the Fleet Feet semi near me has video gait analysis. See you in Boston. Pj, I think maybe I build while there is still pain making everything worse. I have chronic tight hams and hips too. Stretching is part of my regular day. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

You could be reinjuring your hamstrings with stretches. My advice is to head to the Injured Runner web page and read what they have to say about hamstring injuries. One thing they have, if not on the web page then on their DVD, are some stretches and exercises that have been shown to be effective in medical studies. I would do those. After that you are just guessing with the rest of the world as to what may help or hurt. But, before you try random treatments remember you can do things that make it worse all the while thinking you are doing yourself some good. Absent a good reason to believe something is effective, and good does not include your friend whose cousin did X and said it worked, I would not do it. Better safe than sorry. If you do nothing, and by nothing I mean no running, no stretching, no nothing, you will heal and get better. So that should be your baseline. Good luck and you will need patience. From everything I have read hamstring injuries heal slowly and reinjure easily even after they heal.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, could I be re injuring it by stretching it while it is still injured?
                    Absolutly...just don't try and stretch an injury. I had a serious bout of ITBS many year back. I learned about stretches that were "suppose" to help with this injury. I stretched and stretched for months. After I realized this was NOT working, I stopped stretching and left things completely alone. Guess what...ITBS pain was completely gone in a little over two weeks and I have not had the injury since. Another thing I tell everyone with injuries is - and it's a simple thing - work on a shorter stride with a quicker turn over....prevents injuries too. I know I am not much of a help, but believe I am correct with "no stretching injuries policy: Hope the very best for you, getting over your leg issues!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

"I know I am not much of a help," Tim, no! You are immense help! And it makes sense. Your suggestion is the only thing I have not tried so far. So basically you are suggestion I let it heal before stretching and strengthening. Which makes perfect sense. Twocats. thanks for the links. I think the injured runner page is where I need to be right now. Laurie

Cashmason

Laurie, If you head over to Kick Runners Multi sport forum, there is a medical thread there. An orthopedic surgeon, who uses the handle Rotten Squirrel answers most health questions within a few days. He usually advises see your own doc, and since he cant see you in person, his opinion is just an educated guess... but then he gives you his best advice for free. He runs, so he understands athlete's concerns. Best wishes, Cash

Prince of Fatness

I'll throw some things out there. Try to keep as active as possible. I think you are better off working through it rather than doing nothing at all. The key here is that you stop if you feel any pain. This includes stretching. Do not stretch until you are good and warmed up. Go for a walk or something first. Massage. A tennis ball works real well on the hamstrings. Try some strengthening exercises. A good one is to lie on your back with your heels on a chair and your knees bent at 90 degrees. Picture a sitting posture but you are on your back. Lift your butt off the floor and then lower it back down. Do a few sets of 10 of these. You'll definitely feel this in your hamstrings. Also, this might be totally unrelated to what your problem is but you may want to read it anyway. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/783ffe01904c462794dfb492334b68bf Good luck. MTA: One more thing. If you do run try to avoid hills.

Not at it at all.