Masters Running

Patriots Day 4.21.14 (Read 44 times)

Dave59

Talk about out of touch, I got up, went to work, took a break to run 5, and forgot all about Boston until I checked here. 

In addition to the big group of runners from the forum, a friend from church and a niece of mine from Columbus Ohio are running Boston today.  I meant to tune in on-line and watch while I work.

Thanks for the tracking thread!

TammyinGP

As I got up at 2:30 a.m. to use the bathroom, I was thinking of our Boston runners and how they may have been heading to athlete's village by that time (5:30 a.m. in Boston). I went right back to sleep though.

Cute pic of your handsome grandson Tom!

I'm tracking some of my local running friends, as well as checking our Boston thread here. Even from the other side of the country, I can feel the excitement of the marathon. David's two coaches are doing well. One should be at the half any time now.

coaching today - track workout. the kids will love me.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Go Boston Runners!

Tselbs - that is one adorable grandbaby!

No run for me this morning, light weights and core workout instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

basically been exercising my mouse finger while clicking update at the BAA site for my runners list.

3:03 for Hermosaboy is pretty amazing.  everyone else seems to be going strong.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Three 93% pain free miles with one mutt and an heathen hound on brandy new trail. Followed by vacuum cleaner belt replacing cross training.

That grandson is a keeper, TomS

SteveP

Congratulations to our many Boston runners!  Many have, as of this post, finished!

I got up this morning and went out for 14.  That is my longest run between now and Cincinnati.  Pretty good running weather this morning.  A bit humid but that is all.  It is so nice to go out in shorts and not be cold for the first couple of miles!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Great job Amy!! What a great time! Karin too ! I could not see everyone from where I was in finish/medals  area.  I think I gave Robin her medal  or my neighbor did... sorry about your ankle Robin!

Very inspiring day, very appreciative  athletes! I was proud and happy to be part of the finish/medals crew.

I did get out early here in Manchester for about 6 miles of easy running.. Nice day!

Tired now.. but not as tired as some of you!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  What a cool day this was.  I turned on the live stream on my computer and said to my boss, "We're watching the Boston Marathon, today."  He never told me to turn it off, so...I watched it on one screen while I worked on the other.  I even saw the water bottle that Meb threw on the ground that Robin tripped on.  Seriously, I saw Meb throw his bottle on the ground and I thought, "I sure hope somebody picks that up before somebody trips on it."  Okay...maybe it wasn't his that she tripped on...but...maybe it was...

Anyway...besides watching the marathon and working, today, I spent the day wondering how I was going to get through my workout tonight with the splitting headache I was suffering with.  I was scheduled for a 2 mile warm up, 3 miles in 20 minutes, 1 mile recovery, 3 miles in 20 minutes, and a 2 mile cool down.  I was ready to blow it off and just get a few miles in and blame it on not feeling well.  But I couldn't get those dang Boston Marathoners off my mind.

I thought about Robin...she sprained her ankle...and still manages to finish her race!  But most of all, I thought about my two Minnesota friends we were tracking.  SubDood and Hermosaboy.  It was so hard for me to watch their splits and see their times increasing as the race went on.  There comes a point when you have to accept the fact that you are not going to get your goal...and that is so crushing.  I have gone through it many times...and I haven't always been very happy with myself in the way I have responded to that realization.  But those two guys sucked it up and  made the best of their runs that they could....as did Karin, by the way.

So...with that on my mind...how could I possibly bag my run, today?  2 miles in 15:33, 3 miles in 19:44, 1 mile in 8:03, 3 miles in 19:36, and 2.2 miles in 17:49.  Thanks for the inspiration, today, guys.

Okay--that's it from me.  See ya!

What a great day for our Boston racers. So sorry about your ankle, Robin, ouch! You are one tough cookie.  I brought my ipad to work but didn't have a lot of time to check the progress (I haven't had internet at work since I had a virus in December).

I went to the Y for weights after work, tried to increase the weight by 5 pounds on most machines. Man am I weak! This is gonna take a while to get buff. MrStarr cooked supper while I showered and got ready for our Celebrate Recovery meeting. I had the PowerPoint done but left the flash drive at work. I redid the slides quickly on my laptop at home but when I retrieved it from that flash drive at church it wouldn't work since I have a newer version of PPT. Oof da, three times doing the same slides!

Tomorrow is a run day and I am trying to decide what distance. I wanted to run 9 on Sunday but didn't quite make it. I think it would be OK to do a long run on a Tuesday.

tselbs, what an adorable grand baby! I am still waiting for pictures of our Grandkids in their Easter clothes I bought for them.  Where is that clip of Ribs on Fox news? I would like to see it.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Is that second place amy who used to get like 29, 24, 19, 35, etc. place in her age group before she took a three year sabbatical and just returned to the marathon circuit last year and is almost up to 100 AG’s already?  While checking her out, I came across the following moving excepts of this year’s edition.  However, robin and denise vowing on no matter what brings as much honor to Boston as do the world records.  Seems like Queen Ilene owns the BM too.
                      ps - nice 93% batman.

I did 39% once.

==============================================================================.
                      http://www.wbur.org/2014/04/07/2014-boston-marathon
                      Thirty-eight-year-old Meb Keflezighi was 12 when he came to the U.S. from Eritrea.
                      He took control of the race and he had some competition toward the end,
                      but it was never really in doubt after about the halfway point
                      that he was going to win this race. And he did.
                      the top three women . . . went under the course record.
                      the disabled division this year. It was quite something.
                      The married couple, Patrick Downes and Jessica Kensky,
                      who each lost a leg in the bombing last year, crossed the finish line on hand cycles.
                      Jeff Bowman, who lost both of his legs in the bombing . . .
                      standing there at the same place where he was injured
                      applauding people coming in.
                      It's incredible to see what's happened in this city a year
                      after what happened on April 15th last year.
                      The city came together again today and . . .

they've reclaimed the finish line.
                       = = = = ==================.
                      I’d try to excerpt something from this one too but I can’t.
                      http://www.wbur.org/2014/04/08/team-hoyt-boston-marathon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - you are amazing, you know that, right?  I would have completely wussed out.

Starr - any day is a good day for a LR, as long as there is room for a nap in the afternoon....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."