Masters Running

Wednesday, Sept. 9 runs and workouts (Read 353 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

4 miles with the Brinkster this morning.   Ran 3 miles steady and then threw in some fartleks and walks the last mile.   Overall 10:20 avg. pace.

I've been in a bit of a funk lately with a lot going on, but am coming out the end of the tunnel now.   Infection is gone and I am finally feeling pretty good.

As I ran threw a sub-division this morning I heard a little baby crying and thought of WRFB and PDR's new little grandson.  

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Glad you're feeling better, Mary.

Tempo Tuesday got rained out and I substituted a mid-day easy run after the worst of the rain passed.  That meant today was tempo make-up day.  I opted to do just 3x2 miles @ 7:25 with full recovery.  Even that was tough. I've been listless lately and am starting to wonder if I should cut back on mileage for a bit.  Not sure what's up.  It was a cooler 62F but with 100% humidity, so maybe that's still a factor.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary - nice way to start the morning.

As for me - lifting, stepper, spin.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yesterday I went 11 miles.  I was on a road called Blue Hills Avenue (it's flat and straight - an exception to the rule).  I saw the stop light for Day Hill Road (another flat road - who named these streets?) in the distance.  It was just like the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the soldiers ride towards the castle, but it never seems to get any closer.  That stretch took forever.

Over the weekend, the PBJ family went to Long-Suffering's alumni summer camp on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.  Lots of good food (especially the baked oatmeal), rock wall climbing, archery, rocketry, tubing, zip line, and paintball.  It's fun to relive your youth.

Good runs all.

Hang in there Hopeful and Tramps.  Feeling down sometimes is expected and normal.  It'll pass.

The plan for today was for 13 miles with 7 x 1 mile at MP with 2 minutes walk recoveries between each. Tinman has my MP at 8:19, I have me at more like 8:30.

You might wonder why "walk recoveries" and not "jog recoveries". Really in my weather, it's to make sure I'm fully recovered so that every MP mile feels easy. MP is supposed to feel easy, at least early on.

I felt strong, solid, and consistent today. The MP miles came in at:

8:30 HR 144 bpm
          8:28 143
          8:25 143
          8:24 146
          8:22 148
          8:28 148
          8:21 149

I was really amazed at how easy I was breathing. When the HR is in the 140's, things are good.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Mary - feeling better is a good thing!!

Tramps - 62 with 100% humidity is still a little wicked.  Nice repeats anyway!

PBJ - I could use some of that baked oatmeal right now.......

"Sleep in" day for me, but I'm still tired.  Jesse and I didn't get back from agility training until after 11:30, and I kept doing agility training in my sleep - after I finally managed to get to sleep.  We're finally to the point where we can do sequences now which makes it much more interesting. 

I hope to jump on the bike after my lunch-time meeting, but we'll see.........

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Erika – I love that picture at the end of the daily.  I’d be inclined to have it enlarged, matted and framed as a piece of art.

Fatozzig – I did watch that video on Insanity, and it looked intriguing.  I had intended to get P90X in late October, to start x-training with after this marathon nonsense is done (for the moment), but now I’m wondering if I should get Insanity instead.  Maybe you should get one and I’ll get the other, and we can trade every month.      As for the kitty, DH absolutely will not go for another pet in the house, so I have not put out any more food, but she keeps hanging around, meowing at the windows in the morning.  DH is not happy with me.

Deez4boyz – I’m glad you get to bring DS home tomorrow, and you both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Breger – I don’t think MP has EVER felt easy for me, no matter what the MP ultimately was.  Come to think of it, I don’t think RUNNING has ever felt easy to me.  Doable, maybe, but not easy.    Okay, maybe for short little bursts of time it has felt easy, but the pace for that feeling is usually at the 10:XX range.     For Columbus I’m hoping for a MP of 8:45 or thereabouts.

Still sort of in a running funk today myself.  I actually had that feeling of “jeesh I don’t feel like running today” as I was letting the dogs out.  Rare for me.  Probably this marathon training stuff, sort of getting to that “I’m tired of it” stage.  Just 3 more weeks of the hard stuff, though, before taper time.

6 easy-paced miles for me today (ave pace 10:21).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Hey All !

13.06 miles @ an Avg pace of 7:53.  8 miles of that was at a pace that I hope to be MP (7:40).

8 miles was enough......I could have pushed farther but right now I am having doubts as to how long I can maintain that race day. I realize last week was a mega week with a 22.5 mile run and yesterday was a tempo.......yadda....yadda.......

I'm confident that I can break 3:30. What danger am I in if I go out at 7:40.......or do I play it a little more conservative and hang with the 3:30 group for an hour ?

I guess for the most part this Marathon is an experiment in fitness. When I hit that finish line I want to know that I delivered my best effort. I would need a 3:20:59 for a BQ.....(Don't plan on going if I do....just a measuring stick) In June I turn 45 and I get an extra 10 mins for 2011.

Hindsight......I'm really wishing I did that 10k race 2 weeks ago! I'd have a much better idea of my fitness level !

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Slo...  "I would need a 3:20:59 for a BQ.....(Don't plan on going if I do....just a measuring stick)....Yea right

If you "only" need a 3:30 and trained for 3:20 I'd start at 7:50 and reassess at the half.

Tramps.. I had the same Idea.. missed my Tempo target yesterday so wanted to make it up today.  Instead I kept to the plan and took a scheduled rest day with 9+ hrs sleep. Tomorrow is m-LR and Fri an MP'ish run. They should be good.... theoretically.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, glad you're getting over your funk.  That seems to be going around lately - Tramps and Holly both mentioned it too.  Speaking of which, Spareribs, how's it going for you?  Hope you're feeling less funky!

Erika, that was a terrific picture at the end of  yesterday's daily!  Who took that shot? 

I went ahead and signed up for the Golden Gate Canyon trail race on Sept. 20th.  That's the 12.7 mile course with 2500 ft elevation gain that I ran last Saturday.   I debated for a while about whether to sign up or not - I'd be one of the slowest runners, possibly even last.  And why pay money to do a run I can do for free? And it's a tough trail, and when I run it alone I can take breaks, which I wouldn't do during a race.  But on the other hand, it only cost $22, and it's about 6 miles from home, and running with other people is kinda fun sometimes.  And I checked last year's results, and there was only one woman in my AG, and my time from last Saturday was faster than hers by 30 minutes (although I stopped my Garmin during a couple of short breaks.)    I figure that in the  middle of the race I"ll wonder what  the heck I was thinking, but at the end I'll be so glad I signed up.  Actually, that holds true for most races!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Glad you are feeling better Mary.

SLO, you would have a tough time going 2 miles going out with the 3:30 pacer, so my advice is to do just that.  Two miles at that pace is just about enough, and at that point you can assess what pace feels a bit more comfortable, but for heaven's sake not one hour.  FWIW, I have been watching your training and while I think a sub 3:30 is quite reasonable, a sub 3:20 would be a stretch.  Why not aim to simply get under 3:30?

Tramps, for as well as you ran earlier this year, any less performance will have you wondering where all the speed and energy went, but as Bill points out, these ups and downs are normal.

I'm in a bit of one now, a down that is, still recovering from HTC.  Legs feel okay but I just don't seem to have a lot of strength or endurance.  MCSolar suggests I use a full 2 weeks of recovery and I believe he is right, since a relay is a very unusual race.

Today I did half a track workout, a warm-up, then 2 x 800 (7:22) and 2 x 200 (38's) and cooled down.  It is still very H and H here, but I felt okay. 

I finally got around to writing a RR for HTC and posted it on KR.  I didn't want to do the same one here as I would have to repaste the pictures into it, but if you are curious here is the link:

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1610527#post1610527

Spareribs

evanflein

Carolyn, DO IT! You've already done the course, it can only be a little easier the next time around, right? I think if you DON'T do it, you'll regret it later and wish you had. Better to sign up and decide later that you don't want to do it, than spend the next month wishing you had...

Thanks for the comments on that picture, I just posted it to remind Divechief how much fun we had that day! But I do remember that race had sort of a rough end for him so maybe he was trying to block it out... DH took that with our old camera, following us as we went so that's why everything is sort of streaked... It wasn't very light out and so the camera was slow, giving that effect. I love the reflective stuff everywhere!

MP... hmmm, funny, this time around I don't care! This race for me (in 10 days, eeeek!) is all about finishing in good shape. I was talking to a running club friend of mine on Saturday, and when I told him I hoped to finish in 5:30, he said he was thinking 6 hours. The course is open for 10, but I don't think either of us will need that. The last 5 miles will be hilly, but nothing like the middle miles and will be mostly on trails in the woods. Just gotta watch for tree roots and I should be fine. A lot of us have entered this Ultra because we've done the main Equinox many times (it's the only local option for a marathon here), and we're just looking for something different. The course as it is is extremely challenging, adding a few miles just makes things a little more interesting!

Steve taking a rest day. Hmmm, who'd have thought? I'm down to taking about 2 a month but didn't think you take them unless you're hurt. Not the case this time, I hope.

PBJ, I find that the receding finish line has been cropping up more and more. And reading about that camp sounds fun. Reminds me that DH always wanted to put in a zip line from the big tree fort he built for the boys down to the road, but the only things we had to connect it to were big birch trees. The one at the end would've been a certain stop to the ride, that's for sure!

Awww, Holly. Have you put up signs for the kitty? Someone might be looking for her... DH is a party pooper.

Running? Oh yeah... I'll RAL, thinking of going out past the 3 mile mark on the course, lots of singletrack and rooty trails to keep me busy, and a good dose of hills. Should be about 6.2 to 6.5 total, I guess.

MTA: you guys have to go read Spareribs' HTC relay race report. It's an absolute riot.

Slo

Perch, Ribs....Thanks!

I like the idea of hanging with the 3:30 group for a few miles.

And yes, I do think a 3:20 is slightly out of reach. I just want to see how close I can get to it !

I've got the next 2 ½ weeks to get this pace thing dialed in......then at least 7 months to get ready for the next one!

Help, help, need help finding Ribs HTC race report.  Want to read it, can't find it.  Need a boost! 

I'm going out today to combine my old Miller Park bike trail course with my new sidewalk  with little hills run.  A long walk for me - about 4 - 5 miles. 

Renee the dog

6 1/2 miles for me this morning, was supposed to be short intervals, but I kinda decided on a mini-wavish run once I got rid of Renee at the 2 mi mark.

I'm finding that I'm not doing well with speed intervals. It's not my muscles or lungs that have problems, it's my ligaments/fascia for the next day or so afterwards.  I feel like I'm slightly injured.  Now, when I do 1 mile "intervals" at 10K ish pace, I'm OK.  No residual effects.  It's the short, sprinty ones that leave me feeling achy for a couple of days. Any ideas why this might be and any suggestions on how to eliminate it?  Or do I just skip sprint speedwork and use a longer cruise interval?  (I'm training for my 18 miler and marathon this fall).

Thanks for any input!

SueT48 -- that's the worst -- still working in your sleep! Hope your rest is better tonight!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

nono

Very difficult to tell for sure. You say achy so I'm more inclined to say muscle.

How long have you been doing the shorter higher intensity runs and how much time in between.

Given the distance your training for I'd skip the shorter intervals and go with the longer.....5k pace and up. For strength I'd add in hill repeats. Short burst of 10 secs almost all out. Start with sets of 4 or 5 and work your way up to 10. Full recovery in between repeats. (These will make you sore the first few times)