Masters Running

Mon Feb, 11 Master/Boomer Runs and Workouts (Read 455 times)

Usually Mondays are my rest day. But the forecast was for a nice low humidity morning, so I couldn't pass that up. 61 degrees, 65% humidity. So up and out for 12 miles with a fast finish planned. I had a fairly consistent first 7 miles (after the warm up mile) and then the last 3 miles were progressively quicker(before cool down). 9:51 9:06 8:47 8:50 8:47 8:47 8:46 8:41 8:21 8:15 8:04 8:54 Oddly, since I got sick 2 or 3 weeks ago, my Resting Heart Rate won't settle back down. I played a lot of recreational basketball before starting to run and my RHR has never been where it's been lately. It was 58 this morning, at least 10 beats higher than it usually is. Weird. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger – nice run! After feeling an odd excessive fatigue last week, it didn’t surprise me to wake up with a sore throat yesterday, and today my cold symptoms are progressing. I’m hoping an onslaught of Zicam and Vit. C might keep it minimized. No running today, and, since it’s about 4 degrees outside, I’m glad. X-training instead: shoulder presses, hammer curls, seated bent-over raises, butt-blasters, incline dumbbell presses, and a 13-minute ab/core video. In an attempt to spread out my muscle soreness, I did the weighted squats and dead lifts last night instead of this morning. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Rest day for me today, great run Bill, Holly hope your throat is better soon. Good Runs All Roy

Marathon Maniac #3309

4 degrees here too this Morning Holly....hope you feel better soon Smile Sweet run Bill - I can't wait for 60 degrees again, and I wouldn't have passed on a run either. Last Sat I had a good 13.5 mile run in nice temps in the 40's, but super windy. Yesterday, 6.7 miles with windchills at -25 to -30 with gusts up to 50 mph. Must admit....this run was NO fun, but felt good once I made it home and warmed up. It was funny when I got home and a neighbor talked to me for a few minutes. I could hardly talk because my face was froze and I was slurring my speech. My neighbor said I sounded like I was drunk. I said well, I did have a couple of bloody marys before my run....she just laughed and I said my face was froze and that's why I was talking funny. Easy 10 miles planned tonight and hope to beat a winter storm heading our way this afternoon. Hope all have good runs and a great day!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Morning Boomers. With fresh legs after a rest day yesterday, I did 40 minutes of intervals this morning. One mile warmup at 9:30, then 40 minutes alternating 8:27 work and 9:45 rest speeds followed by a half mile cool down. I got the results from the 15K I ran Saturday: finished 3rd in my age group - woohoo! (though there probably were only 10 or 15 women over 55 running the 15K) Still, a good start to training for my half in May. Holly - I just got over a cold and I believe pumping up on vitamin C and zinc really helped shorten the misery. I also tried Coldeze when I first felt the symptoms coming on. Take care of yourself! Breger - nice rest day! I understand the need to take advantage of good weather. -7F here this morning with a -35 windchill, and 2-4 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. Good thing February is a short month. Good Monday runs, everyone. Jeanne
              Just read yesterday's thread and was impressed by all the long runs: Holly (in a hurricane), Peter, WRFB, PDR, Perch, Sarge, Tim, Enky, and Erika (in the deep freeze). Plus we had the coincidence of two first-time four-milers by Tramps and fussyrunner -- congratulations to both of you! And a good call by CNY to forego the HM with the rough weather conditions. Today it was -4F in these parts: warm by Erika's standards, but darned cold otherwise. Did one (1) mile on the indoor track. I was tempted to do more, but will hold to my recovery schedule. Have a good start to the week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning, all! Bill - nice kickoff - I couldn't have resisted those weather conditions either! Holly - take care of yourself - hope you beat the cold down with the meds. Doug - great to see you doing a little running again. Looks like lots of folks experiencing frigid temps this morning. It was 5 degrees with blustery winds at my house when I took the puppy out for her morning walk. She wanted to sit in my lap and warm her toes when I brought her back in the house. Can't say as how I blame her. My 12.64 miles on the trail yesterday were pretty miserable. The temp was hovering around 32 degrees, so the ground wasn't quite frozn solid, and there were some areas with standing water/mud that were hard to get around. About the time I turned around on the out-and-back, it started raining, and the wind picked up. I was soaked by the time I got back to the car. Fortunately my husband is a faster runner, and he already had the car warm and toasty. 6 miles on the treadmill this morning - no way I was going to brave the sub-zero wind chills today. Core and weights on the slate for lunch today. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Bill-Nice pacing Holly-Hope you can get better quickly Jeanne-Great job on the Intervals and congrats on the AG placing...WooHoo!!! 5 + 1 cooldown with T this morning...8:17 pace in a light drizzle,but I still wore my shorts Big grin I'll work on the weekly thread later... Have a greta week everyone!!
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

GreenMan

Hey Runners, Rested yesterday, no energy Energy better today, but I'll rest anyway. Massage later. Smile Have a good one. jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    evanflein

Jury duty today. Tongue Thanks for the comments on my run (Sunday's thread) you guys. Bill, yes, today is a rest day. Legs feel oddly spunky this morning though... must be the early bedtime I got! Holly, I don't miss the days of having little kids bringing tons of germs home! Hope you're feeling better soon! Happy Monday guys, gotta go.
                        Saturday I was introduced to a new running/biking trail that is in the city. It has been there for a long time and I have passed the entrance but never checked it out. A walking friend urged me to check it out so I joined forces and did just that. Sunday was meant for a longer run and I went back to try out the new route for running. The good news is, it is a beautiful route through the woods and well maintained (ashphalt). The bad news was, the winds were whipping at gusts of up to 70 MPH and tree branches kept raining down on me. I shortened my run to 6 miles and "got the heck out of Dodge". Cooler temperatures today for sure, but the sun is nice and warm. Hope everyone has a nice day and week.
                        Vista
                        BTY

Today I think discretion will have to be the better part of valor. Whatever that means. It is 15F here with winds at 22mph while I try to decide whether to go out and run or not. Supposed to be 17 by Noon, with windchill at 0. I would normally give it a go at this point in my program, except that the ball of my right foot is swollen and purple, and even an easy 4-miler doesn't sound particularly prudent. Fortunately this is a 12 week program that tops out at about 35 miles, so missing a day here and there should be easy to absorb. I think. bty

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It really looks like a month of stamina testing for many of you with incredible winds, low temperature, unsure footing ... but nothing is stopping you (ok maybe -45). Really impressive! Sometimes I get cold just reading the posts Smile Nice progression run Breeger! Congrats on the 3rd AG Jlynne! I've stopped taking total rest days and do like today instead. 2 Magical Healing Miles with Tory at 10:50 pace, AHR 131. I find a short blood circulating run keeps the muscles and tendons from tightening up and allows some good stretching afterwards. Then some situps, hamstring and hip strengthening. Good news is no soreness after yesterday's agressive 20 miler! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

BTY, 96 laps sounds intimidating to me. I don't know how anyone can keep track of how many they've run when the numbers get that big. pfriese, congrats on your 5mi race PR. CNY, you played it smart passing on the race in nasty weather and with a long drive. Tramps, congrats on your speedy 4 mi race. Twocat, nice 20K race. fussy, good job on your 4 mi. race. Holly, sorry to hear about the cold. I'm glad to hear you took it easy (by your standards but no one else's). roch, it's good to hear you logged some distance. BTY, I'd say you made a good call skipping today's run based on your foot problem. I hope it resolves itself quickly. Nice long runs for hopeful, teresa (longest yet), derrick, dromedary, Tammy, Holly, Peter (with hills), WRFB, PDR, CNY, perch, sarge (nasty conditions), waa5yom, enkephalin, pfriese, Evan (extra cold and windy and with hills), breger (fast finish), biketm, and Sue. This morning, it was about -5 degrees with windchill about -25 as forecast. Last night, I didn't even include outside clothes in my options as to what I set out that I might wear in the morning. I got in 8 miles on the TM at 1% and 6.7 mph (8:57 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                              SteveP

Stupid sore throats. Angry 4.9 miles with the dog today. Single digit temps with winds. The sun made it a joy. About 1/2 of the route was along state land. The dog only ............ um...... leaves dog....um..well......you know...in front of picture windows. I'm afraid she may have learned that from me.

SteveP