Masters Running

Celebrating July 5th Holiday? With runs & Parades (Read 438 times)

Anybody have to work today?

My holiday was yesterday although today is the legal holiday. No matter, I'm on vacation  staycation this week.   

Lots of umpiring planned the next 2 weeks. 

Went to the treadmill today to beat the heat 4.2 mile progression run. 

Have A Great Day!!!  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I look my best blurry!

I am away on vacation in the Outer Banks!  I didn't know if we were going to make it!  Staying in Carova, the 4 wheeling/wild horse preserve.  Bottomed out and got stuck in the sand on our way here.  We were able to dig ourselves out but I was freaked out!  My kids thought it was the greatest adventure ever.  My daughter was in the backseat playing ukelele and hollering.  She loved every minute of it.  I didn't think we would make it to the house but we did and after a cocktail my perspective was much better.  We made it!

First beach run went very well.  It is gonna be HOT so I got out early.  Started around 6 for 13.3 miles in 1:47.  Saw the sunrise, I'll have to share pics later.

Happy 5th!  

Kristen

...mornin' Sarge//.............docs are out........I get to take off.

high 80s on The Plateau,,,,,,trails were still kind of damp, but footing was good

25min 4/1 HeavyHands Run..............my first in over a year.....................I love fighting the weights

=======

...went poolrunning in Clarksville/Ft Campbell yesterday,

my other SIL

showed up and I tried to explain what I was doing....

''oh yeah, the SEAL Team did that'' she said.

...turns out

The Navy has a team

at a non-existant place called ''The BirdCage''...(which all of us have seen and know about).....

they had to work-out 

sharing a pool with THE SENIOR LADIES AQUA-ROBIC GROUP while the flood damage was being cleaned up

''those boys are REALLY in good shape'' said my SIL

then

she just kind of smiled.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

We have a Day off today.  Yay!

And a Yay for Wannabe for extricating herself from the sand.

Rest day for me today.  For those of you who'd like to hear me (and others) singing, here is a YouTube video of the Sandy Patti arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner" we performed on the 4th.  The audio is not the best, but I think you'll enjoy it anyway!  The long white haired guy on the right is our genius Music Director.

(Who is that Tall, Good Looking 2nd Tenor?)

Bill

YouTube "The Star Spangled Banner"

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Kimmie

Good morning,

Haven't been around much lately.  I've just had surgery on Friday to remove a large (over 9 cm) cyst on my left ovary.  this is the first time this has happened to me.  When I was running the past week or so, my back and side hurt and I wasn't sure why... finally got in to see the Dr. and they said surgery right away.  

So, no running for 2 weeks... Sad      I feel better today, moving around the house a little.... too weird to just lay down and read or watch TV.   Very unlike me.

Hope to join the land of the living soon....Smile

Dave59

My foot started hurting pretty bad where my blisters were on the ball of my right foot and extending into the area where the big toe attaches to the foot.  I started thinking something may be broken.  I made it through the night but I had Cindy drive me to the Urgent Care Center this morning. 

This morning, I changed my thinking from a break to infected blisters and that was what the doctor thinks too.  Not real bad.  He's given me an antibiotic and told me soak my foot and stay off of it.

It hurts like heck, but if it is just blisters I should be fine in a couple days.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wannbe.. Welcome to NC!  Enjoy OBX!

Tom.. Good enough for the SEALS eh. I can just see your SIL's smile Smile

Kimmie.. wishing you a speedy recovery!

Ran around 10 miles, might be 9.8 with lots of short steep hills half trail half roads.  The legs were off an on but felt best at the end. 1:36:31 total AHR 147.  Good run and longest since Boston! Nothing hurt

On the trail around the Duke University Golf Course, I passed a herd of 6 Kenyan runners in their warmup pants and jackets!  (By that time my shorts were soaked in sweat) They were hauling. I was able to pass them because we were going in opposite directions :-)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good story, wannabe. Funny how our kids can see the bright side of just about anything.

6.3 easy, beat-the-heat miles this AM.  No holiday here....back to the shop. Walt.

evanflein

I'm off work today and tomorrow. And it's been raining steadily since 4 a.m. Today's plan was weeding the garden, but it's a sodden muddy mess. Well, plan B is puttering around the house, something I love to do anyway but never seem to be find time for.

Take it easy, Kimmie, and get better soon. Remember, we have duct tape if you have a hard time keeping quiet! Glad you got it taken care of but gee, how easy would it have been to just think it was a muscle strain or something and keep working thru it?

Yep, tomwhite, that pool running is good stuff, I tell ya.

Nice run, Steve! Sounds like you're coming back strong, just don't get that over-exuberance thing going though, ok?

The paper had my 5k time listed as 21:57... I don't think that's right, but whatever, it's still sub-22 so I'll take it. What really pisses me off is finding my name in the men's section! I was 14th of the men, but 6th in the women if they'd listed it correctly. Ah, the joys of small town life.

I wasn't planning on running today, but it's still early.

anachrotech

Get well soon Kimmie.

2.20 miles today in 28 again.  Still at walk/run stage though today was a little tougher.  Good thing I ran at 7:30 cause it's now 90 w/high humidity.  ugh

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congratulation on the sub 22 Erik

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

(((((Kimmie)))))

(((((Dave59)))))...At least the Dr didn't tell you to go soak your head.

Sweet 2.2 Anachrotech

Guy or girl Erika, I'd be ascared to piss you off. I'm sure you can run faster angry than I could scared.

Sorry I havn't been around. Last week was stupid busy at work. Tharusday PM, my boss says take Friday AM off. Thursday PM, I got DW set up for camping over the weekend. Since I had the AM off,.I stayed over night to prtoect her and Tag.  When I got home Friday to change into working gear, my boss called and told me to take the day off. When I was headed back to the campground, one of the other owners called and said they needed me STAT.

Over the weekend Tag, Noah (GS) and I put in lots and lots of trail miles. I pushed Noah in the jogger up a crazy steep hill and he yells back at me, "Run, run run!". When we got to the top, he says, "Do again!". ...We didn't on the straight away he was laughing a lot. As I started huffin and puffin, he tilted his head back,  looked up and said, "How doin Gampy?".  That loop was about 5K. Once we went while a niece was walking the dog. Noah kept asking, "Where's Taggy?". Then calling out "Taggy Butt!". We took part of that trail with the entire tribe.  We'd run up ahead, then run back so DD#1 could tkae pictures of her little man. We'd run ahead with Tag and hide in the brush. Noah doesn't hide well cause he laughs when Mom and Dad pass us. Our Son In Law said, "No wonder he likes going for walks".  1/2 a mile from the site, Noah wanted out of the jogger badly. My feelings were hurt, untill he took off yelling "Run run run!". (He must have been talking with Tag). DD#1 was wrried about a car pulling out, so I ran up next to him. When we were neck and neck, Noah looked over. The excitment in his eyes and the joy in his smile made me a little misty eyed. Mom caught up and she had the little guy run twards Dad for the camera. I'm really hoping they share pictures soon!!!

This AM, Tag and I took 3+ miles to the party store and back.

SteveP

On the trail around the Duke University Golf Course, I passed a herd of 6 Kenyan runners in their warmup pants and jackets!  (By that time my shorts were soaked in sweat) They were hauling. I was able to pass them because we were going in opposite directions :-)

SteveP - Sounds like really great family time.

Rest day for me.  Arms aren't too awfully sore from the watermelon carry yesterday, but I'm thinking it needs to be added as some sort of "ultra" for running.

Have a great week -

FWIW - Some of the 300+ photos I took at Western States.  (No, I didn't upload that many).  Hit "Slideshow" in the upper right-hand corner.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kimmie, rest up, you'll be back at it in no time.

Erika - congratulations!

Wannebe -  I'm a worrier too so that would have freaked me out

We were at an indoor waterpark/hotel yesterday and this morning.  I went on all the "big" slides, not being a chicken this time.  It was a blast.  Kids were old enough this year that they weren't afraid to try anything either, so we got our money's worth.  I forgot to bring my running shoes but since I always keep my Vibrams in the car I put those on and did a TM run.  In retrospect I should have just gone barefoot since it wasn't like I was protecting my feet from little stones/glass and my toes were sliding a bit in the shoes as I ran.  I did two miles then had to stop as I developed painful blisters on the bottoms of my big toes.  I will check to make sure they don't get infected!  The guy beside on the TM was running barefoot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I look my best blurry!

Ran around 10 miles, might be 9.8 with lots of short steep hills half trail half roads.  The legs were off an on but felt best at the end. 1:36:31 total AHR 147.  Good run and longest since Boston! Nothing hurt

NC is my home away from home!

Nobby is always saying to wear pants in this hot weather.  Crazy!  I just haven't been able to do it.  I'm sure he knows what he is talking about but yee gads!  Maybe I should try this tomorrow at the beach.    Naaaah!