Masters Running

Spirit of Winter 5K - Bay City, MI (Read 222 times)

Summary 26:49 - 8:39/mile 4/8 AG - 60-69 53/76 OA As reported in the daily, I've had a touch of flu (or some such crud) this past week. Along with not feeling right, I haven't eaten much since Monday. I really didn't want to miss my big monthly social event or break my string of a race each month. To add insult to injury, the weather report yesterday and last night made it look like serious snow was a possibility and could start anytime from early to late morning. When I went to bed last night, I was real apprehensive but still hoped to be able to go. This morning, I felt a little better and the snow hadn't started so I left home about 8 am and hoped it would still be ok for the 10am start. As usual, a lot of my friends showed up. At the starting time, the temperature was about 20°, there was a light wind, and the pavement was clear and dry. I didn't know what to expect but figured I'd start fairly easy and hope that the flu symptoms stayed away and I didn't start feeling weak from not eating much lately. I gave myself permission to walk if that's what it would take to finish. In my dreams, I thought that if I could finish with a 9:00 pace I'd consider it pretty good. I jogged a little to the starting line and it didn't feel too bad. I decided that maybe I could start a little faster than I had previously planned. Shortly after starting, I noticed Melodie just a little bit in front of me. At the last race, we ran together for a little over a mile and then she pulled away. I figured that if I didn't let her get too far ahead I'd be happy. At about a mile, I checked my GPS and it had me at an 8:38 pace. I was pleased and thought I'd try to keep that pace for as long as I could, hopefully to the end. At the halfway mark, I wasn't feeling too bad and had hopes of finishing at about the same pace. About the two mile mark, I checked my pace again and saw another 8:38. Now I was starting to think I could keep going about the same for the last mile. Also, about that time, I realized that Melodie was not as far ahead as she'd been earlier. I was able to pass her and a couple others about that time. At the finish, my GPS gave me an 8:36 pace but I knew the official would be a little higher. I ate an apple and a cookie and my system didn't rebel so that was another positive. After some visiting, the snow started about the time they started handing out awards. When I left, the roads were a little slippery but I got ahead of much of the snow and it chased me home where I went into hibernation mode while the weather got worse. At suppertime, I had more to eat than any day since monday and still feel ok. Even though it could have turned out worse, I'm glad I decided to go today. TomS
    nowor

Tom, You recovered just in time and ran well. (Maybe it had something w/ being a Boomer!) Great job beating the snow too. Eat up and feel stronger. Sue
      TammyinGP

Very nice Tom! good time and despite being hit with the crud you ran a quick time! And you averted the bad weather! Same here actually - the sprinkles and rain held off til late this afternoon.

Tammy

I can see the headlines now, "5K race confirmed to alleviate enfluenza." Congratulations on overcoming that bout with the flu and running a fine race! And it sounded like spot on pacing.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Tom, The streak continues !!! Not snow nor Flu nor empty stomach shall keep Tom from delivering the race results. Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great race Tom!! Glad you're feeling better!!

denise

I'm glad it went so well! Smart idea to just give it a shot, sometimes you just never know.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice one Tom! There are advantages to being lighter from not eating Smile I'm glad your monthly race streak continues! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

I'm not surprised that a bout of the flu couldn't keep a good runner like you down! Nice, gutsy effort.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tom, it's great to hear that you are feeling better and had a good race. Just think how fast this could have been if you hadn't been battling the flu over the past week or so. It sounds like you've turned a corner with that too. Congrats on a great race!

Once a runner . . .

#artbydmcbride

I love that sense of accomplishment when I go out and git 'er done, even when conditions aren't ideal. Good job! Now rest up and eat well!

Runners run

dg.

What a great job, Tom.... even without the flu! I'm glad it worked out so well. Hope you are fully better by now.
                          coastwalker

Hi Tom, I was thinking the same thing as Evryday: Running a race could be the next new way to chase the flu! Given the state of your health (especially for not having been eating) you did great. It just goes to show you that you never know what is going to happen in a race till you go out and run it. Congrats on keeping up your streak, on remarkably consistent splits, on beating Melodie this time, and on getting safely back home as the weather worsened. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Renee the dog

I can see the headlines now, "5K race confirmed to alleviate enfluenza."
                              I'm tellin' ya, running is good for you! Tom, superb effort just to get out of bed and go to the race. Many folks don't even do that when they are feeling 100%. Hats off to you! Oh yeah, and here's some chicken soup. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Whew! That turned out much better than you thought it would, given your illness in the days leading up to it. Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."