Masters Running

Running through the tulips with Tag (RR) (Read 508 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holland Michigan Tulip Festival 8K

When I got up yeterday morning to feed the puppies at dark o'clock it was raining cats and dogs and I thought, oh goody!  (not!)     But, I had hopes of it clearing up by race time and I sure wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity of meeting Steve and Tag the Avenger Doggie!

On the drive down to Holland I told my neighbor that we have to look for Steve - but he shouldn't be hard to find with his batman attire and of course the batman cape on Tag.   As soon as we got there I spotted them and I hugged Steve and let Tag sniff all the puppy smells on me.   His wife and daughter are as sweet as can be, and it was also DD's birthday.   Many people and especially kids wanted to meet Avenger Doggie and Steve is more than willing to introduce them and show them Tag's tricks.

I felt very out of shape for this race, so I went into it thinking I'll just enjoy the tulips and if I have to walk, so be it.   It was a little unorganized and we all got a late start, but the rain had stopped, so that was not a big deal.   Steve and Tag went to the back of the pack, so to speak, and off we went.   Just about 1/2 mile into it I could hear pant, pant ... pant, pant... and here comes the twosome to pass me.    It wasn't long though, and Avenger Doggie had to make a pit stop, and I never saw them again until the finish line.  

Mile 1 - 9:24 - uh, oh - this is kind of fast for me, but I feel good

Mile 2 - 9:48 - still feeling good, but wishing I didn't have my rain jacket on

Mile 3 - 10:02 - slowing down a bit, but I have my sights on Miss Green shirt and black shorts

Mile 4 - 10:13 - here there was a nice downhill and I passed Miss Green shirt, but what goes down, must go up and she passed me on the uphill - drats

Mile .97 - 8:58 - I gave it my all the last couple of blocks, never to catch Miss Green shirt - but to finish proud.

Overall time 49:08 which I was VERY happy with - 9:54 pace.    I never walked once!!

I knew I gave it my all as I felt like I was going to hurl at the finish line.   I walked over to the fence line and my neighbor saw me and knew she should leave me alone for a few minutes.    Once I got it together we headed over to the finish line to watch Steve and Tag finish:

Tag gave it his all and was one pooped out puppy:

It was a great day and and I am so happy the weather cooperated.   Steve has a picture of the 3 of us together, which I'm a bit afraid to see.  Wink

Oh, afterwards, my GF and I went to the local running store.  While there another couple came in and she said to me "we were behind you the whole race", and I said, "oh, so I was your target huh?" and they say, "yep, we were watching your butt the whole time".   Great!   Diet starts tomorrow ......   Big grin

Happy Sunday everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

coastwalker

Hi Mary,

Great report, and a fine race! How terrific that you got to meet up with Steve and Tag, and the rest of their family.

It's too bad that you didn't catch Miss Green Shirt, but it's always motivating to have a target, isn't it? I guess that being the target doesn't provide quite the same rewards...

Congrats on a great effort, and a "proud" finish!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great race Mary! I'm so glad you got to hang out with Steve and Tag the Avenger Dog for a little while. What were your temps like? From the looks of the pictures you took, the spectators look a little chilly!  Was this your first race for the season? Nice start - congratulations!
          Great job on the race Hopeful.  So glad you got to meet Steve and Tag.  I guess without his pit stop they might have beaten you.  The hurl thing, feels awful but great later because you know you left it all out there.  Glad to know someone was watching your butt!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'm jealous, hopeful.  You had a great race and meet up with Steve, Tag, and family.  Congratulations on a speedy race and a good time.

TomS

Way to go Mary! You rocked it and clearly had a great day. Very cool that you met Steve and Tag and family. Great photos and well worth it even with the rain.

Awesome running.

Karin

Awesome running, Mary. Good for you, girlfriend!  Loved the report, and am quite jealous that you got to meet Avenger Doggie in person.  Oh yeah, and Steve, too.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

What a great day! Even with the rain (which is a real minus in my mind) you had a greta race and got to meet Steven and Tag! Looks like a good day of racing for everyone. And yes, while we're painting targets on the runner in front of us, someone else is always back there painting a target on us!
                  Dave59

Great race.  Especially when you can be pleasantly surprised with the finish time.  That dog sure looks content with the world.  The 8k seems to be popular.  There were 3 races of that distance on this side of the state already this year.

Marathon Maniac #957

Overall time 49:08 which I was VERY happy with - 9:54 pace.    I never walked once!!

Excellent on both counts!  Great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mary, great report! Not everyone gets to run with the dynamic duo, and best of all you know their secret true identities. Congrats on running a fine race!
                        wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome running, Mary. Good for you, girlfriend!  Loved the report, and am quite jealous that you got to meet Avenger Doggie in person.  Oh yeah, and Steve, too.

I couldn't have said it better.  Congrats!  I bet Brinkley was sorry  he missed meeting Tag.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

You ran a sweet race Mary and it was great to finally meet you!!!

SteveP

Congrats Hopeful!  Great race and a fun time.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM