Masters Running

Mon Dec 22 Runs and etc. (Read 510 times)

Monday morning of a short week. I guess that's not so bad. We'll be working through Wednesday, but will take off after lunch. A bunch of runners at work have a yearly lunch together after running to the pub. The run back is handicapped by a beer or two and some pub food. But PDR and I will leave work after that. This morning brought somewhat chilly temps for my recovery run. The winds didn't seem to hit the 22 mph / 35 mph gusts which the weather widget said -- but I was still cold at the start at 13°F. Not as bad as Fairbanks, but happy I was able to dress for it. 3.1 miles, 29:14, 9:19/mi, AHR 130 Have a great run today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Enjoy the short week Lou. I'll be working every day except Christmas though Wed. and Fri. might be shorter than usual. It appears I need to find myself a race right quick. Miami HM in 5 weeks ... I wasn't sure how my legs would feel today after my hard 17 miler on Saturday. The day called for repeats but that seemed risky. So I decided to run 10 miles at an easy pace and see how it went. 10.1 miles at 8:56 with most miles in the 8:40s. But the best part? Average HR only 141. Highest only 147. A few years ago when I was experimenting with HR training, the easy days were supposed to be (for me) run at an average of 141 or less. I never ran them at anywhere near this pace. Enjoy the day everyone. Stay warm and dry! A special shout out to Choovie and Econo for two inspiring runs Sunday ... WTG! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bill, you seem to be in the zone and running very nicely.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

I will not be posting much anymore till I can run again...it was OK while I could at least pool run and lap swim, but I can't even to those anymore because of how sick it makes me. So posting on a running forum not even doing anything, seems not right, I suppose. I will most certainly read the daily EVERYDAY, and may post a quick Hi occasionally, OK. But my main reason posting this morning, was to say how very impressed I am with Bill and his great running right now, WTG Buddie. Hopefully I will be running again by Feb 1st. BTW, I am going to be weight training around 4 or 5 days a week, so I guess I will be doing something at least, huh....I am already looking pretty buff Wimmin Wink Each and everyone one of you rock and are greats Friends of mine. And thanks for all your support and help during my difficult time Smile Happy Holidays Friends! T Bo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Congrats on 2000+ yesterday, Lou! Nice running, Byll! Tim, I certainly understand but, of course, drop in and let us know of your progress. Chilly, in the teens here. First real ice beard run of the season. Easy 5.3 miles @ 8:21 pace. Glad I re-loaded the wood stove before I headed out; it was a nice and toasty spot to stretch after my run. I imagine some folks will be disappearing during holidays, so greetings to you all! Beware the eggnog.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Monday Morning everyone!! Tim- I can understand too, but I sure hope you pop in to let us know how you are doing. We all care so much and only want you back with us sooner - rather than later. {{{{hugs}}}} Rest day for me. I never even left the house yesterday but kept busy baking 16 loaves of pumpkin bread, mini pizzas and finish my wrapping. Cleaning and playing Wii with the kids equaled a full day. Only 2 more days of work this year ..... wooHoo!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Some nice running Sunday! I played hookey yesterday and didn't do a thing except eat and shop Big grin {{{Tim}}} 10.19 miles of hills @ 9:06 pace in the dark on a windy, cold morning...wind chill of 12F but thats nothing for folks like Erika. My hands were non-functional when I got back and it took about 10 minutes of a hot shower to get them working again. Smile Good runs to all today

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, there's a lot of snow out there!! It ended after midnight, but there was so much that school was cancelled for today. The boys are still conked out. They will be very happy! DS16 will miss two tests, one of which won't be rescheduled until after the holidays! We're supposed to have a new dryer delivered today (the old one died after almost 17 years), but the appliance store's message says they're temporarily closed due to the weather. Shoot, my mountain of laundry is threatening to take over the house! I'm hoping to get to the Y this afternoon. It is open, according to the radio. Stay warm, everyone! I guess global warming took a break this year.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm impressed with breeger's running too! Not surprised after all that great hot weather traini. Byll..you are ripe for a great half! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 38:00 flat (9:30 pace, AHR 141) 22F with some stiff breezes.. brrrrr. The slower you run the less the windchill Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

TIMBOOO you come back RIGH HERE, right now. You don't have our permission to leave us like that. Running or not, we so enjoy your company and besides, XTraining and TAPERing and RESTing is also part of training. You serve as an inspiration to us...so...you ain't going away young man. 5:30 am 16F 6 miles with the snowplows as a sound track. I must admit this run was inspired by the lovely PDR.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – the DVD player on the TV in front of the TM helps a lot.... Wildchild – congrats to your DD – nice job! Timbo – I know it’s hard, but you know that we talk about lots of things here besides running, please stick around... 0 (feels like -15 to -25) degrees here this morning, but as is often the case here, we get the coldest temps with no precipitation. I asked myself WWED (What Would Erika Do?), and I thought she might say, “Hey, the roads are dry, HTFU and get out there!” Big grin But I didn’t. I hopped on the TM for 5.5 easy-paced miles, then did weighted squats, dead lifts, front raises, and stability ball crunches. I ran out of time, so I’ll finish my weights workout tonight. I plan to try to run some extra miles this week, since we have so many goodies in the house at the moment and I am unwilling and unable to forego their sinful pleasures.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

breger1, Thanks for answering something I was wondering about while running yesterday with your post. Smile I experienced a surge in the early fall in my pace, but it didn't feel as if my effort (and heart rate) were particularly taxed. But, I had no data to back it up. Your post shows me what the data could show if I were consistent in gathering it. Maybe that can be one of my 2009 goals...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good point Nono! I don't often watch the data (pace, HR, miles, etc.) anymore as I'm running. I've kinda gotten to a place where I can tell what's going on by how I feel. But I always capture the data and upload to my PC. Then I look at it and try to see what happened. I always see something of interest. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great running Bill! You are primed for a really terrific half. It's always so nice to see that pace drop and effort remain the same. I'm hanging in there for that day! Tim, I totally understand your reasons for not wanting to post but hope you do at least pop in every now and then to let us know how you are doing. February 1st will be here in no time. It's quite cold here today - at least for us. Given the nasty wind, I opted for a 4 mile TM run and weights/core work afterwards. I am off Wednesday through the weekend but we are not leaving town so I'll be around. Kudos to all of you dealing with the snow and ice. Looks like some nasty weather headed Maine's way. Meanwhile, we are expected to get up to 66 degrees here on Wednesday! Happy Holidays!

Once a runner . . .

This is getting ridiculous.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."