Masters Running

Tall's Half Marathon Race Report - Dry Heaves and all.. (Read 337 times)

I ran the inaugural Ottawa Army Half Marathon Run yesterday and what a classic this will become! Much like the Marine Corps Marathon it’s to honor our valiant soldiers that fight and protect our country and our interests. There were many injured veterans and soldiers that ran the course (some from the US). Inspirational!! The weather was near perfect, although windy coming back thru Mooney’s Bay and the Experimental Farm. I was racing with a sore left heel/Achilles that has swollen up recently due to all the tennis I have been playing. I was hoping it would hold up and I was wearing some heel lifts to alleviate the pain. I was racing as part of a team of four runners in the open men’s competition where the top 3 times were to be added for the overall team score. Our team the Zone3Sports Speeding demons were made up of a bunch of fast guys I train with. Flying Ryan Cain Kona bound young triathlete and then Michel, Neil and I who are almost identical in speed. Well, I started out way too fast following Flying Ryan and came thru the first 10K in about 38 minutes. I continued to pass tons of runners along the way and only started to find it hard once I hit the dreaded loop in Vincent Park (I hope they get rid of this loop like they did for the Ottawa Marathon). Came up the big hill on Heron okay and was cruising along okay until I became flat footed and the bounce in my feet disappeared. Oh oh….My pace started dropping and I was starting to struggle. I continued to fight off the competition and would not let anyone past but about two k from the finish, my breathing went funny and I started dry heaving. At that point I think I would have been close to a 1:20 time which I would have been ecstatic about. I actually had to stop a few times and walk as my breathing was not good and panicky. I did this once or twice and I was finally able to get moving again. Unfortunately three runners passed me... I crossed in 1:21:29 a PB by about 22 seconds. 18th overall out of 2909 runners that finished, 4th in my age group. But we won the team competition and the all mighty Army Boot Trophy. It was a great event and I will come back for sure. Now for the PEC Half Marathon and hopefully another PB in two weeks. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Congratulations! (On the win, but not the dry heaves . . . Wink )

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You're one tough guy, Tall. "Well done" isn't sufficient, but I can't think of anything which is.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

HermosaBoy

22 seconds or 22 minutes -- a PR is always good!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I continued to fight off the competition and would not let anyone past
            Tallrunner, very nice job. You are a competitive fellow and that's OK, but you do know this is not Roller Derby, right? Why do I picture you shoving other runners off the path and into the woods when they got too close? Probably just my over-active imagination. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, great job winning the team competition! How does your heel feel today?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I crossed in 1:21:29 a PB by about 22 seconds. 18th overall out of 2909 runners that finished, 4th in my age group. But we won the team competition and the all mighty Army Boot Trophy. It was a great event and I will come back for sure.
                Wow, what a great race Tall 4 in your age group in the top 18 makes it tough to place doesn't it. But hey a PR by 22 seconds a a Team Victory now that ain't so bad is it? Congratulations on a great race. Smile

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Congratulations Tall - it is a PR no matter how you slice it! Sorry about the dry heaves though - that must have been awful. I hope your next race goes smoothly.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

I think you are in position for the 1:20. You just need the right day. Good for you to persevere during a tough phase. I never had that happen to me but I would have stepped off! You're tough. Spareribs
                    SteveP

Congrats on the win. You've set a new standard for digging deep.

SteveP

Very nice race, Tall. You left it all on the course....dry heaves or no! Big grin
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          You are such a tough and strong runner. I also like how you set your sights on tough goals and then you do all that you can to go for it. Good luck with the next race and I think a personal best is right there. Congratulations on the great racing (can't say I would be able to push through the heaving) and the team win. Karin
                          coastwalker

Hi Tall, Yiikes!! A sore heel, dry heaves, and you still get a PB and great overall and AG placements, plus the team win! You just won't let anything get in your way (including those other sods who had the nerve to think they could pass you), will you? On another day, without the heel and heaves problems, that sub-1:20 will be yours! Did you ever figure out what caused the heaves and breathing problems? Congrats on a terrific effort, and on being able to keep your focus, no matter what. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

You left it all on the course
                              No he didn't. Tall you slacker, if you didn't leave your breakfast on the course, you weren't trying. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                                woohooo!! congratulations on a great race!!

denise