Masters Running

Saturdaily, 7.28.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tammy, that picture is way too scary! Be safe.

Yesterday we went to Winter Harbor, and the Schoodic Peninsula, which is part of Acadia National Park. At the end of the peninsula, there are broad shelves of granite ledge with ocean surf crashing over them. The views were spectacular. What a treat! We had lunch on a deck overlooking a working harbor, and watched as a couple of small lobster and fishing boats came in. But this morning we have to pack up and get outtahere so the next renters can move in this afternoon. So there's no time for a wrap-up (sorry,Tet and Twocat).

I got up a little early and went out for a quick 2.6 RW miles in 66° foggy (like it has been every day here) morning weather.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...yeah, all tammy's picture needs is the ''Welcome to Hell'' signpost.....

please stay Safe....

==========

.........40-min PoolRun with letters...

and

if you think PoolRunning is Boring,

try

getting Faster and having to add extra laps.................What Cruel Irony

........Good Running to Ya....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

anneb

Quick post here- 8.5 miles on my usual forest preserve trail. 63 and low dew point felt amazing and everyone out there was happy today 😊

Anne

Quickadder

Quick post here- 8.5 miles on my usual forest preserve trail. 63 and low dew point felt amazing and everyone out there was happy today 😊

Quick post here- 13.8 miles with the usual Saturday morning group. 81 and high dew point felt <insert choice of expletives> and everyone out there was crazy today ðŸĪŠ

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

By the way, Jeanne--if you didn't tell anybody you are over 60, nobody would ever know...seriously.

Okay--I'll get out of here, now.  See ya!

We've been telling her that since her tough mudder days, but she still doesn't believe us.

3.2 Maine mmiles this morning.  DW just told me it was 98% humidity.  Very definitely soggy shorts and everything else.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jay- Reminds me of a Board meeting my former employer had in Bar Harbor in 2008.  We flew up there on the corporate jets and were also going to tour the company's mill in Houlton, ME.  The few women spent an inordinate amount of time planning what we would wear- needed to be sort of "resort-ish business casual."  Picked out our sandals and nice outfits. We got to Maine and it was about 60 degrees, drizzly and foggy.  We were freezing.  We wound up in the board meeting wearing the Mangy Moose sweatshirts we bought in Bar Harbor!  I had to buy socks to wear with my cute sandals.  I did get to run in the park some, though.  And- loved the blueberry beer.

7.6 nice miles this morning.  Didn't look at my splits and just tried to stay relatively comfortable.  It was a nicer morning- 67 to start and I had a lot of shade.  All in all, not bad.  Butt held up pretty well- a few twinges.  I'm getting there.  Sonic iced tea and Dunkin Donuts afterwards.  7 is the new 20.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker, here let me help.

twocat 5 flights of stairs.

MRI coming up in a couple of hours. This one for my back. Word is this will be an hour in the machine. Fortunately, I tend to fall asleep during MRIs. Yes, really. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Yowsa, Tammy. That looks hot. Things are so wet around here I doubt you could start a forest fire with napalm.

41 mile ride this morning. Very humid (but not too hot) at the start; very hot (but much less humid) by the finish. Pick your poison.

Be safe. Be kind.

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi Friends! I slept in a bit this morning then ran 7 miles. I'm kind of fighting a chest cold off. Felt pretty good the first 4 miles but felt really drained and short on air the last 3 miles. Working on increasing mileage. Patience!!!

TAMMY - Girl that's got to be stressful for you. I pray they keep it contained and it'll burn out soon.

CW - That sounds like beautiful scenery! Good luck with the new renters.

TOM - Nice pool running!

ANNEB - I love your avatar pic! Beautiful pup. I'm a dog lover for sure! My Granddaughter went out for a run with me and said, "Grams you know the name of every dog in town!" Lol! Nice work on the 8.5! Sounds like a beautiful place to run!

QA - Good to see you! I remember you from the RW forum! Nice work on the 13/8 this morning!

STUMPY - Going to have to change your name to SOGGY SHORTS! I had the same going on. I don't ususally do this but I weighed before and after. Lost 3 lbs. I felt dehydrated before I even started. Probably why the last 3 miles I felt drained.

RUNKSA - Funny story on the clothes. Nice run for you this morning! I've been fighting a pain in the butt for awhile too. I run in Hoka Cliftons and this last pair has unusually hard and stiff rubber. This week I switched to new NB Fuel Cell Impulse. They are very flexible and light. I wouldn't recommend them for a heavier runner. Lo and behold all my achy places feel better. I think the fuel cell lets me run with better posture. I'm crossing my fingers that it last, but for now some relief!

TWOCAT - Enjoy your nap!

Bless you all! Spunky!

Southern OR and Northeastern CA, things are definitely hell on earth.  The latest map of the Carr Fire is below.  Grew to 80,000 acres overnight, only about 5% contained, and winds are expected to pick up this evening and push the fire closer toward the west side of Redding.  Three or four small towns have been wiped off the map.  Thankfully, to date only 2 people have died - a fire fighter and a private bulldozer operator.  This is horrible.  And as a CalFire rep said, this is the new normal for CA . . . unfortunately.

I got in 2.35 miles of walk/run this a.m.  Carefully adding in a little more running each time.  I have a decent knot in my right glute that I tried to carefully roll this a.m.  So far no extra issues, but doing that always makes me nervous.

Now I'm at work (yay . . . .) and plan to spend most of the day here.  *Sigh*

No automatic alt text available.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, you folks out west stay safe....scary pic and the map doesn't look good.  I've driven through some wild fire areas (once in Germany, once in Italy, once in the States) and even in areas deemed safe enough to pass through it is a chilling experience.

So pretty busy the last couple of days.  On Thursday morning one last attempt to run all the way around Haines Point....and had success!  So 5+ miles at a good clip (just under 8:30).  Friday morning was a meandering run at the Mall....one last trip up to the Lincoln Memorial and a trip around the ellipse as well.  Took it easy and just enjoyed the time there.

Thursday was our "practice brief" to culminate the exercise.  As mentioned, I begged off briefing to allow one (and the other "cold warrior" briefer did likewise, so two young'ns got the opportunity) to brief.  I liked the flow and how we set it up.  Goal was to be one of the 10 seminars that DON'T brief on Friday.  We failed.  We brought in suggestions that apparently were unique so we were one of the two seminars selected to brief a "deputy" panel.  That included a Swedish 3 star general and two professors from the school.  They asked some pointed questions.  Our briefers did well.  There was one point where we were asked details about a "road map" to bring Russia back to the G7....I'm an experienced tap dancer/BS'r so I jumped in to assist.  All in all, pretty funny.  We were released at 11 AM Eastern and I started to head back to Prattville.  I arrived just after midnight Central time so about a 14 hour drive.  Needless to say, no run this morning.

Tramps, I don't think the magnitude is that different, but the speed the information is shared sure is.  As for the briefings....I've got a theory (shocking, I know).  Each briefer only got to speak for up to 1:15.  Their job is to provide the worst case information for national security planners.  And they do a great job at that!  Most of them mentioned that if you took the course they drew the information from we'd get some information on why it isn't necessarily that dire.  Regardless, yep, pretty sobering.

Tet, not really sure.  I'd assume there is a transcript but the press was also present during all the proceedings.  The briefer kept referring to Harper's Bazaar who apparently had a reporter there every day.

Have a great day everyone!

mrrun

Last day in D.C. Ran along Massachusetts ave looking at embassies, statues etc followed by short trip to alexandria for lunch and walking around.  Spent last night with my nephew and family bonding with 2 yo and holding 6 week old so mom could eat!  home soon hopefully to less HHH and our own bed!

((tammy))

have a great w/e everyone!

Spunky-  I hope the new shoes continue to do the trick!  I think the different models of Clifton really did vary.

I am really sad and scared for California/Colorado and other places facing these horrible fires.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Tammy, so many people noticing and praying and hoping for safety for you and all of those at risk.   Frightening.   Know you are doing the best you can do.

Everything else seems rather bland and of little import, next to the real life and death situations you have in the West.

KSA--  "7 is the new 20"...yes, in coming back from injury, that's exactly true.   You'll be OK...steady.

Went out to do 12 this morning but a couple miles in, it was obvious the turnover simply wasn't there.   I've seen this before.  Having run the 8 hour ultra a week ago today, the legs are still flat.   They'll come back.   Patience will be rewarded.    Hated to "waste" a perfect, 56F, no wind, blue sky, low humidity Saturday morning, but, hey, that's OK.

Several of you have been in DC...my wife and I will drive there a week from today for a week.  Not sure what running I'll get in but it will be good to visit again.   Will be much walking.   Pure tourist activity.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Dave59

After yesterday's 8 miles (long run for me) and the 10 hour trip to get my granddaughter, I opted for an easy 2.17 miles in the fog this morning.

Terrible pictures of the fires. I can't imagine being near them.