Masters Running

Moose finds redemption at New Jersey Marathon. (Read 376 times)

This was my second marathon this Spring... If you read my first RR you will recall it was a debacle where I was humiliated by a guy with a backpack but no alarm clock. I didn't want to go through the whole summer replaying that in my head. Yesterday in New Jersey (Exit 105 off the parkway) I got a measure of redemption with a PR... 2:41:09 (gun time - they dont seem to have chip times up). 4th overall and 1st Master. This was also my highest AG score (85.8%) It was a nice day to run (cool and rainy) - not so great for spectators. Its a two loop course, my first loop was 1:20:00 so I didn't slow down too much. Its a nice marathon - but unfortunately it has a simultaneous half marathon and with a double loop course you end up slaloming through the back of the half marathon pack at the end. Other than that, and with good weather, this is a definite PR course - flat as a pancake and excellent crowd and race support. I'm pretty happy with this result.... It wasn't the 2:40 I was hoping for, but that has always been a long shot and trying has been (and will continue to be) the fun part. I may never slay the 2:40 windmill, but I gave it a good thwack yesterday, and that is my quest. Ray Quixote.
    evanflein

Way to run a comeback race, Moose! And it's good to have a goal that might just be a wee bit out of reach. Something to stretch for. You're such a strong runner, I think you'll grab it pretty soon. But this did sound like a good PR opportunity...

Renee the dog

Yesterday in New Jersey (Exit 105 off the parkway)
        LMAO! Big grin Congrats on the wonderful result! That's excellent! Hear ya on the chip results - a high school friend believes she may have qualified for Boston by 2 seconds according to her watch. She's on pins and needles, I imagine, waiting for the chip times to get up there. Surprised

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

xor

Here on the west coast, I have no idea why that's funny... 2:41. PR. Dang. Not too shabby for a moose. Nor a cheetah.

Slo

Extremely Nice race Ray ! I didn't think your 1st marathon was bad. Smokin Fast !
              Mooseman, Way to go!!! Good to hear from you I was wondering where you have been. That sub 2:40 is out there for you, waiting for the perfect day. You have given me hope to try and get my sub 2:50 in less than 3 weeks. I am so nervous, I guess that means I am ready. Very tired after long weeks but that is another story. Congrats my man and hopefully you will find that windmill you are looking for. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Ray, I'm so glad for you! That's just a mind-boggling performance. Awesome, awesome race. Smile Have you written more details elsewhere? I'd love to have a peek at how you approach a race like this. BTW, ironically, that "guy with a backpack" (Michael Wardian) was at my race this weekend. He planned to run a back-to-back half-marathon and full but he didn't go anywhere.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Here on the west coast, I have no idea why that's funny...
                  A good portion of NJ folks can define exactly where they live by what exit their town is off the Garden State Parkway, which is about 175 mi long and the exits are numbered by the mile marker, not sequentially. For instance, here at the bottom of the state, where the parkway ends is referred to as Exit 0 (Cape May). I'm at Exit 4. So, where rbbmoose ran yesterday was 101 miles from me (roughly). "What Exit?" is a common question heard when someone doesn't recognize a town name in NJ. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Glad to hear this Ray. I recall how hoppin' mad you were after the last one. Where exactly is this race? I ran what was the original Jersey Shore Marathon back in the 70's that went from Asbury Park to Sandy Hook and back. They ran that race the first week in January. Very happy for you Ray, and if I were you I would keep working on that 2:40. Sometimes a breakthrough happens after a few tries. Don't give up on it. Spareribs
                    wildchild

Carolyn

A good portion of NJ folks can define exactly where they live by what exit their town is off the Garden State Parkway, .... I'm at Exit 4. "What Exit?" is a common question heard when someone doesn't recognize a town name in NJ. Smile
                      Hey, my DH is from NJ, and he's from Exit 4 on the New Jersey Turnpike! Big grin (Moorestown) Moose, congrats on a fast race, and 1st masters too! Did you win anything kewl? You know you're fast when you finish a marathon before the back half of the pack finish the half marathon. Wow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

jfa

Ha! From I guy that lives right off exit 90, I would say you did pretty darn good! It was my second full and I was happy with a 4:22 ! You're one fast dude !

Prince of Fatness

A good portion of NJ folks can define exactly where they live by what exit their town is off the Garden State Parkway
                          I'm a good hour away from both the Parkway and the Turnpike so I guess people will never be able to find me, not that that's a bad thing. But I digress. We're in the same age group Ray, but you sure are in another league. Congratulations. That's very inspirational stuff.

Not at it at all. 

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Ray, most outstanding. I've been following your progress for a few years now, since we met up in Virginia Beach at the Shamrock. After going though all of those stress factures, you have rebounded incrediably. Continue whatever you are doing. I think you will blast that 2:40 barrier very soon. Congrats on your Overall placing and your Masters win. Simply wonderful.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

That's impressive running, rbb. 2:41 is darn fast. Congrats on your time, 4th OA and 1st masters. TomS
                                The Moose is on the Loose , watch out 2:40 your goin down, soon. Man you make me feel slow! Congrats Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down