Masters Running

Sunday, 1.29.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's most excellent workouts: C-R (easy, getting stronger, soccer-watching TM 6); Deeze (10.2 miles, including the Fudgcicle 3.2 race and no donuts); Jlynne (TM heel-stabbing 6 mi., 20 min. on the bike, and 20 min. weights + core); BerthaSlayer (8 miles of hill repeats including 8 Bertha's); Flats (12.5ish on the TM ); Mike (post-annoying-early-AM-phone-call 10 miles); Tramps (4.3 mi. make up run); TwoCat (long 12 13 mi. with the Jogging Club); Spacityrunner (3.2 winter series miles with hillage); Catwhoorg (7 morning miles); Holly (13 face-freezing miles with multi-directional winds); Enke (7 shaved-legs, shorts-wearing miles); Steve (7 on a new trail with Tag & Mia); Tammy (4 dog-tiring miles on home trails after yesterday's 2.3 harassed miles with police intervention); Evanflein (20.2 holy-carp, hard miles to cap a 50 mi. week); Mariposai (5 pre-showshoe, pre-retirement party miles).

We went out do dinner to our favorite French restaurant with 2 women friends last night. We were there for 3.5 hours, so restaurant let us take our time, and we had a great time. However, that meant that I got to bed pretty late (for me) last night, so I slept in a bit this morning, getting out on the roads at 5:15. I went 9.5 miles in 34F temps with a SW wind. I chose a mostly-flat route so I could mix in a lot of easy racwalking, which I did, but still may have gone a mile or so further than I should have, but had no other choice by the time I realized it. So I did a lot of post-workout stretching, and I'll be achy for a while today, but hope to be out again tomorrow.

Last March, I raced a very hilly half in NY state against a local racewalker. He beat me, but I pushed him to finish 5 min. faster than the previous year. The RD just invited me back for a rematch. It would be great to do it again, but with the course as hilly as it is, and with my damnstring not near ready for any hill work, there is just no way I could do that race this year. So it goes.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay and all those to follow.

That dinner sounded really good and three and a half hours must have been a great conversation. Seems like a nice restaurant. Bummer about the hamstring keeping you from that race that sounded like it would have been fun.

I hit my favorite Cross Country course today for a little 3.3 mileage on its flooring and 25 degrees here and I had to coerce all to myself very peaceful. Still haven't found my running tights so I went old school grey sweatpants. That'll teach those kids.

Have a great Sunday everybody.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!

Jay--that was an excellent report of yesterday's runs...thank you.  I think it stinks that your hamstring is preventing you from a rematch--that would drive me nuts.  And, if I weren't dealing with my own hamstring issues, I would not understand why you wouldn't just go "tough it out".  I think you are wise to pass on the challenge.

Did you wear your gym shorts over the top of those sweats, C-R?  THAT would have really taught them kids!

I am going to have a busy day, today, so I got up and did my 6 miles this morning before church.  I always check the weather conditions and pay close attention to the wind speed and direction.  Yesterday, it said the wind was from the NW at 12 MPH.  Because I didn't want to work up a sweat with the wind at my back for the first 5 miles, I changed my route and headed into the wind.  I never felt anything....maybe a couple times out in open areas...but it was not 12 MPH.  Today it said it was from the NW at 8 MPH, so I just went my normal route.  When I turned north, I felt like the wind was standing me straight up,  There is no way it was only 8 MPH.  I understand not getting next week or even tomorrow's forecasts right...but these are current conditions.  Boy--I never realized how upset I was over this whole wind thing until now...somebody slap me!

Well--I think we went out for our last birthday dinner for Debbie, last night.  Although, tonight, we're going to a place that is just opening up.  Debbie's sister is training for a position there, along with several others, and they were all told to get 4 people to come to dinner for a free meal...we just have to pay for our drinks.  So, that's what we're going.

Okay--I guess that's about it.  I'd better get going to church.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Did you wear your gym shorts over the top of those sweats, C-R?  THAT would have really taught them kids!

Now, there's a Rocky moment for you...

{{{Jay's Damnstring}}}

Mike - that sounds like the wind I had yesterday but today the 8mph wind really was 8mph wind.

I am up against a bunch of deadlines at work, so will probably spend much of the day on the computer working.

7 recovery-paced miles for me today in 28ish degrees, followed by 30 minutes or so of light weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 miles

Long warm up, 5x5 min at VO2 max, cool down

(and this was on the TM, which is where I normally do interval workouts)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tramps

Nice going with all the runs yesterday, especially Erika's great job on the tough 20.

Jay--too bad that hamstring's keeping you from a rematch but good of you to recognize it and not push recklessly.

Nice workout there, Catwhoorg

15 miles on the rail trail.  My longest run since April, I think.  Tough for me but went well this time, unlike last weeks' 14 on the same trail. About 10 degrees cooler, which I'm sure helped.  Love those mid-30s runs.

At about the 7 mile mark of this rail trail, there's a firing range on both sides of the trail.  They worked out the safety issues when the trail opened but all that gunfire still can put some extra spring in your step as you go by!

BTW, I like Canadians.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Great recap Jay and hope your hammy allows that rematch soon.

C-R that sounds like a great Rocky moment.

Mike I hope February is a quieter at-home dinner month for you.

Holly don't work too hard.

Catwhoorg, nice tm run.

Tramps, I am with you on the cooler runs. Good job.

15.1 mile long run today. It was tough tough tough especially after the hill work yesterday. But I pulled a negative split out of my bag of magic tricks. A squirrel screamed at me during the run. Who knew they had vocal cords? Maybe he was cheering for me.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

evanflein

I always check the weather before I go out, too. Our temperatures vary so much depending on elevation, so I use Weatherunderground where I can select a weather station near where I'll be running. Sometimes it works, sometimes I swear their sensors are broken. And some stations don't have wind sensors, apparently.

I'd love a mid-30's run, too. It'll be awhile till we warm up that much, I bet. Tramps, I can't imagine running through a firing range! Yowza...

Lori, squirrels are very chatty! We have the little red squirrels around here and they chatter and scream at us all the time. They prefer the spruce trees, and we don't have many of those so we don't have many, but they make themselves known when they're here!

Intervals and longer runs on the treadmill... bleh, yep I'm there with you. I've been "off" the treadmill all week though and it's so nice!

Holly, I hope you can come up for air and relax a bit; it's Sunday after all! And hey, only two days left of the month after today.

My ankles are a little stiff and sore. I guess that's to be expected from the almost 3 hours on snowy paths. Today will be a short easy run to loosen things up a bit, but I'm not in any hurry.

spinach

I did 12 miles today. It was a little cold and damp and that made my knee pretty stiff, a difficult run.  But I got the 12 miles in to that I got 100 miles for January and 40 miles for the week.  The first time for either of those since July. I am hoping to get back in shape this winter and then I may be able to get back some speed once it warms up. I will be 60 this year and a new age group is a good motivation.

spacityrunner

6 miles on a beautiful sunny Sunday...IRC.  Longest run since last June. More hillage.  Kept me slow.  

Trails Rock!

TammyinGP

7 miles for me today. haven't seen a 7 mile run in months! 

I put a pork loin in the crockpot with a teriyaki mixture (broth, teriyaki sauce, garlic, onion, hot peppers, br sugar). will make some rice and salads. i'm already hungry just smelling it.

Tammy

7.6 miles cross country skiing, not the same workout as running, but a nice outing.  And we saw 3 of those cute little red squirrels chirping and chasing each other.  I tried posting a photo, but I guess I can't figure this out.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker and C-R I find really long dinners at restaurants interminable! If the dinner is at someone's house, that is great. But sitting at a table for hours on end, I just get fidgety or something. But, coastwalker if you enjoyed it that is all that counts.

Tramps just make sure you do not get caught up in the crossfire! Are the two firing ranges "rivals?" 

BerthaSlayer and evanflein I have never heard a squirrel do anything but make clicking like noises. What does a screaming squirrel sound like? 

TammyinGP sounds like you have made it before. The ingredients sound like they produce a very tasty dish.

enkephalin I have never been a big beer fan. I have an occasional stout or porter but that is it. That pizza though, sounds awesome!

SteveP I believe they sell pop tarts and other items to tide you over at this place called a grocery store. Google it. I suspect there is at least one you can get to with whatever little energy you have left. 

tetsujin209 so you really like pizza? Who woudda thought.

evanflein there is no such thing as an easy 20 mile run. Frustrating though to keep getting stopped like that.

Mariposai send cake slices addressed to . . . 

Last night DW and I went to a surprise birthday dinner at a local restaurant for a good friend of ours (Bruce for those of you who have been on the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club relay team with him). It was one of those 3+ hour dinners that get to me. Others in our group too. After I think 4 hours or so I was ready to pass out from exhaustion. My DW looked like she was going strong. Me an some other guests decided we were going to head out. I told my DW I was going but she could get a lift with someone else or I could. She called it a night and so did everyone else. I suspect there were quite a few people ready to hit they hay.

This morning I went out and ran 6 miles. My DW ran 5 with her friend. Weather here is nice for January. Really awful for say June, but this is unfortunately January.  Post runs, DW abandoned me to go to her late mother's house where she and her sisters went about the chore of cleaning it out so that it can be sold. I spent the day on errands and work. My life can be just so exciting!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

2cat, I'm with you-I also get fidgety when I sit too long at a restaurant no matter how sparkling the conversation.

It rained in paradise today and it was a raw 50. Fortunately the place we're staying at has a full gym, so, I cycled and did some elliptical this morning. And what does one do when it rains in paradise? We go to a movie -saw the Macdonald 's biopic- the Founder. Good acting but it dragged a bit. Tomorrow back to the 70's and ☀️ and back to our outdoor activities.

SteveP

Jay, I'm sorry about your dammy. Three and a half hours?? You must have been discussing the next Batman movie.

MikeE. I can afford free.

Holly, I'm sorry about the deadlines.

Tramps, us folks out here understand about the the shootin and a hollerin while running. This time of year, in the daylight hours, I'd be concerned if I didn't hear an occasional gunshot.

yay Spinach!!!!!!

Very cool Spacity.

Twocat, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's cleaning chore.

I was headed to an early service when a friend and co-worker called me..His wife packed up the kids and left. I pulled over and we talked for quite awhile. Another guy is involved. It was a very long talk.  After, I went to the grocery store and loaded up on pop tarts and Cheetos. I'm good for a few days. Then went to a later service. After getting home, Tag and I picked up DD#3's dog, Marley. We decided it's a good day for a run.

We saw three herds of deer in the first two miles.  I had just called the dogs back from the first batch they saw when another group jumped across the rod in front of me. I said a bad word. Both dogs turbo charged back. To protect me I'm sure. Shortly after, we saw another group more than 1/4 mile up the road. I got six miles in. The hounds may have gotten 9. After 5 miles, Marley jumped off of a cliff (I paused the watch) and jumped into the Manistee River. Then laid down in it. UGH.  Then she couldn't get up the cliff she jumped off of.

I went over to a place with better footing and she was able to climb up.

She still wanted ice cream when we stopped.

When I got home, I finished (mostly) wiring the basement for electrical outlets in what's to become a family overflow area. Then I installed my first circuit breaker. Good times.

SteveP