Masters Running

2010 Running Goals (Read 756 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I saw they had a 2010 Goal thread over in General Running, and it got me thinking about what I plan to do next year, runningwise.  Anybody here formulated their 2010 goals yet?

I’m pretty vague as a goal setter, but here are a few I have right now:

1. Don’t get injured
    2. Have a great time at Boston 2010.
    3. Run a decent race at Boston (unless doing so interferes with goal #1)
    4. Another Dam 50K trail run, June 5, 2010.
    5. Germantown 50k trail run, August 21, 2010, hopefully without getting lost (see instructions on map): http://www.fmfhome.com/gt50k/Assets/Germantown%202009%20Map.pdf 
    6. Maybe a certain fall marathon get-together, if it comes together.

I’m sure I’ll add a few as time progresses.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I haven't quite formulated my overall list yet, but I've penciled in a couple key races for next year:

1. Newport, OR Marathon

2. Cascade Lakes Relay

3. Portland, OR Marathon (or possibly Humboldt Redwoods)

Tammy

evanflein

More 50k's would be fun. Maybe a with fewer hills next time... I'm not sure about goals. I always like to say I'm going to get 2,000 miles, then something happens and I get derailed and all bummed out. Life's too short for that. So...

My main goal is to try to balance my running with more cross training so I can run happy and healthy and not annoy my stoopid foot too much. Since we have this long-term relationship going, I might as well try to find out what that balance is and work with it. I've got no races planned till Boston, and no real goals for that other than meet new friends and have fun. It'll probably be my last Boston, at least for awhile, so make it count.

Renee the dog

Qualify for Boston.

There, I said it.

All the rest are details!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Qualify for Boston.

There, I said it.

All the rest are details!

Prince of Fatness

At the beginning of 2009 I shouted out the numbers goals just like everyone else.  As I thought about it more, I shifted the focus more on the training, just taking it one day at a time, consistently getting the miles in.  I'm already about 250 miles ahead of the mileage I've ever run in a year and had PR's in 5 different distances.  It's working.

There are some concrete things that I want to accomplish.  BQ and sub 20 5K come to mind.  But my focus next year will be on consistently putting the work in.  The numbers will take care of themselves.

Not at it at all. 

Florida

2010's a bit far out but here goes.

• No significant injuries requiring significant downtime
                • Enjoy being an athlete at 52
                • Perhaps reach 2000 miles for the first time
                • Perhaps start interval training again
                • Likely run the Bataan Death March Marathon in March and pay tribute to past and present veterans
                • Hopefully add 4 - 5 states

I have one huge goal that will dictate my entire year.

Running/Health Goals

1. As always, stay healthy and injury free

2. Cross the finishing line at my first ever 50-miler in April (my HUGE goal)

3. Then thoroughly enjoy the 2-3 months of non-competition training afterward - which translates into some breathing room

Other Goals

I'd like to learn how to knit or crochet

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

At the beginning of 2009 I shouted out the numbers goals just like everyone else.  As I thought about it more, I shifted the focus more on the training, just taking it one day at a time, consistently getting the miles in.  I'm already about 250 miles ahead of the mileage I've ever run in a year and had PR's in 5 different distances.  It's working.

Your chart looks awesome.  I have not got there yet where I can keep cranking out the miles week after week.  Every 4-6 weeks my body begs for an easy week. 

Good luck in your half on Sunday.  I hope it all falls into place for a great race day for you and you get one of those magic days where you just blast out the miles and still have enough to finish strong. 

I'm with Holly. After back to back hamstring pulls I will be happy just to run uninjured.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Prince of Fatness

Your chart looks awesome.  I have not got there yet where I can keep cranking out the miles week after week.  Every 4-6 weeks my body begs for an easy week. 

Thanks for the compliment, Doug.   I think that the key to me being able to stay consistent has been taking the easy days easy.  I mean real easy.  I take my Garmin with me but I pretty much ignore it while I am running.  It's all about easy effort.  I really don't care what number that effort translates to on any given day, because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

Not at it at all. 

I have one goal for 2010.

Beat Mr. Smarty-Ribs at the Twin Cities Marathon.

There, the gaunlet has been flung.

Masters 2000 miles

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Gotta set the bar high.

1. Injury free with high volume (2500 miles)

2. incorporate barefoot running

3. sub 1:40 half marathon in Deecmber to open up NYC possibility

4. sub 3:30 marathon in the fall

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

DoppleBock

* 160 miles in 24 hours

*  injury free

*  < 180#

*  < 2:40 marathon

*  < 17:00 5k

*  > 5,000 miles

In that order

All of them are stretch goals (Except 5,000 miles for the year) and will be exceedingly difficult to hit.  But its the time of year to think big.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I have one goal for 2010.

Beat Mr. Smarty-Ribs at the Twin Cities Marathon.

There, the gaunlet has been flung.

So clear and direct - A masterpiece in its simplicity - I think this is my favorite

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !