Masters Running

Thirsty Thursday (Read 42 times)

Good morning friends!!

5.2 crisp miles this morning....Thursdays have been busy for me so I decided to get up early (not Jay early) and get my run in before church.  I also figured it would be good recovery miles after hitting track hard last night!!   It's going to be in the 40's later today so maybe I'll squeeze in a little walk with my baby girl!!

Drink your water - 1/2 your body weight in ounces and have a wonderful Thursday!!

p.s.  Thank you MikeE and Erika -- basically same advice both coaches gave me and I trust all your experience!!

denise

NHLA

5 miles 42 min short run,

Thirsty thursday tonight at Asheville Tourist baseball game.  $1 beer.

coastwalker

Mornin' Denise, and everyone to follow!

Good early run, Denise, and good advise to both give and receive.

Good luck on today's drive to Meadow Valley, Mariposai.

Welcome back, Lameruner. It must be challenging for DS to go back and forth between tennis and skiing at this time of the year. But I certainly understand everyone wanting to extend the ski season as long as possible. Nice sleepy 8 for you yesterday.

Ribs, you can still get those leaf-shaped maple sugar candies at various maple syrup shops all over northern New England.

I agree with CNY's, Twocat's, and Evanflein's take on the WSJ article: Take everything in moderation, including the news...

I agree, Tammy, Starr creates gorgeous quilts! Too bad you'll have to wait so long to see what your Mom is quilting for you.

How'd the pub-run go, Holly? Sounds like a lot of fun!

TW - well, your younger brother certainly has a different perspective on things...  Greta kitty photo you posted for Ilene.

C-R, did you put the whole cheesecake back in the fridge, or just some of it? Nice recovery run.

Dg - OUCH!! I'm so sorry that you hurt your ribs. I agree that full-body bubble wrap is the right answer (and could be a lot of fun!). Just go slow, and take it easy.

Tet, you always have an interesting perspective on life, including that 'moderation' concept.

Nice 8er in chilly weather yesterday, Tselbes.

Good advice on dg's rib, Robin. Nice run too.

Gotta watch those speedy students, Twocat!

Mike, TOM-TOM has a new GPS/heart monitor watch. I don't know much about it, but it might be worth taking a look at it.

5.3 RW miles early this morning - 29F, so I'm still in tights, mittens, etc. I started very easy and increased my pace with each mile, so I was working pretty hard by the time I clicked off at our mailbox. It felt good, as did some serious stretching afterward. I saw a bit of blue in the sky before I got back home, so will be light at the end of this tunnel!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

How'd the pub-run go, Holly? Sounds like a lot of fun!

It was fun!  I met up with a couple girlfriends (the same two that went to KY Derby Marathon and Moab Marathon with me) and we ran a slow and gentle 4 miles along the river in the light rain, starting and ending at the Star City Brewery.  There were drawings for prizes afterward but we didn't win, but stayed for a beer and some catching up.

One thing, though, my foot was still hurting, same foot but different pain, more on the side of the foot, but enough that I am limping slightly.  After last night's run I decided to take today through Saturday completely off running, and hopefully the foot will be okay for the marathon on Sunday.

So, with the kids out of school on spring break and no workout planned this morning, I got up with DH, fed the dogs, woke DS for his meds, and then went back to sleep for an hour.    I could get lazy really fast this way.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DG--bubble wrap is not enough.  You need one of these...............

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning, still for a bit!

No time to post, but reading the posts.

Good luck on your marathon, Holly, but what everyone advised about taking care of your foot.  Hope DS is over the worst part of the extraction.

Had a greta time in Reston with my college roomate.  She and her husband spoiled me and even though I ran a marathon, I think I gained 5 pounds.  THey wouldn't stop feeding me!

I'll try and post a separate post about the race.  We had rain at the start, then hail and sleet along the way, and folks who finished after me also experienced snow.  In Virginia, just outside DC.  March 30.  And I was hoping for cherry blossoms!

..........You know, the ones that hand you challenges also give you llife lessons, lots of times.

Deez, I "caught" your sinus congestion this morning.  Yecch, can feel why running is a challenge.  Just 5.5 for me at a 9:15 pace.  I did get out yesterday at lunch to run the bridge about 4 times.

The BAA keeps sending out emails and they all remind us there are less than 3 weeks before the race.    Eeek!  I know that!  Too much pressure!

Guess what???  The Red Sox won last night, and Pedey made a fantastic play in the field.

YAY on being 50% weight bearing, Dg.  Yuck on the ribs part.

Speaking of Ribs, your dentist wants you to keep eating those leaf candies.

Love the photo, Kevin.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!   I just got home last night from Utah, and woke up to a foot of new snow this morning.  JTWILI... 

The 50k in Moab was tough -- either that, or I'm just getting slower with each 50k I run!  I finished in 7:26, toward the back of the pack.  (24/30). One of the 50 mile racers said in his RR:   "The course toggled between gnarly death defying single track, leg sucking sandy jeep trails and feet pounding gravel roads."   Luckily the 50k didn't have the gravel roads - just the death defying single track and the leg sucking sand.

Holly - part of the course was the same as  the Moab Trail Marathon - the part along the Hunter Rim trail, where you had to climb down the steep rocks.  Except this was an out-and-back course, and we had to climb back UP that trail!   Here's a picture looking down:

And here's one looking up from the bottom:

These are not my pictures - I forgot my camera.   I also forgot my Garmin, but I did have a watch, and I knew the approximate distances to the aid stations.  Anyway, even though the race was tough, the RD and his family did a great job (Grassroots Events).  There was free camping at the start/finish, and real food and beer at the finish.

I'll try to catch up here when I have a chance!  Happy trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

gorgeous pics!

LOL at the bubble wrap ball!

Ran 4 with the track kids yesterday, then another 1 with my dogs when I got home.

I live on 13 mostly wooded acres but there is a path that run the length of the property line between us and our neighbor, T,  that is just shy of 1/2 mile in total length, so when I run at home, I run this path a few times to get in a few miles with the dogs when I don't feel like leashing them up. Well, we have to cut down some trees (mandated by a fire protection act) and our 2 neighbors (T and G) who have the equipment are doing that for us, but T is also clearing out a bunch large trees on his property. and then the other neighbor who lives on the other side, (G) (so there are 3 of us property owners who all back up to BLM with collective acreage of about 35 acres) has a new toy that smoothes out the paths they are using to get back to some trees they are cutting (is that a cat?). anyways, my point to all this is that they know David and I like to run, so they are making huge running trails for us - some more on our property that were previously overgrown with shrub - that will all connect in to different trails that go on T's property and also to G's property, so when all is done, we'll probably have about 4 miles worth of trails.  They've started cutting down some trees and smoothing out some new trails on our property that B&B&I explored yesterday and it sure is nice! nice and wide, some ups and down, winding through parts of my property that I've never walked on before because it was too overgrown.

now I'm off to report for jury duty and see if they want my service today. Have fun!

eta: I love knowing the inside scoop of the cases set for trial. one was a civil case that settled late last night so won't be going. and another is a crim case with an atty in our office and her client is entering a plea this morning, so neither case will go and I'll just come back to work yay!

Tammy

Thank you Mike E, mrrun and Holly S.  for the feedback on the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon.  The chance to finally meet Holly S. may just clinch it!  Although that note about being a bit hilly . . .  that is not all that good to hear!

evanflein around here the ice is mostly gone so the only real issue on the trails is that they are basically ribbons of mud now.  One rather annoying spot where it is not gone is in front of the garage door where I store my not-winter car, a Corvette.  I got so ticked off with the ice taking its sweet time to melt that I finally took a shovel to it.  Now watch, we will get an April blizzard.

deez4boyz I wonder if winter is actually going to make a final exit.  It is even nice here today.  Tomorrow, alas, no but today is good!

NHLA beer would be such a good water replacement if it only had the same zero calories!

coastwalker given when you get started I am surprised if it is ever light out during your walk.  Although calling what you do a walk is like calling the Daytona 500 an afternoon drive.  I need another expression.

Holly S. I hope your foot feels better fast.  Good move getting off of it.

stumpy77  LOL!

AamosY no matter how much I run I have found my mouth can still eat faster!

wildchild another set of spectacular views from one of your runs!

TammyinGP wow!  If there is an award for best neighbors yours really should win it!  I have never heard of any, let alone several, getting together to create something like running trails (oh heck anything) for another neighbor!

No running for me today.  It was just some time on the elliptical.  But I did see what looked like a really good acorn squash and lentil recipe that I may try out tonight!  Beautiful day out today.  Sunny and in the 50's.  Of course, that explains how I planned my long run for tomorrow morning when it is supposed to be cool and perhaps drizzling.  Yea, timing sure is everything. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

And you can add me to the list of those who believe "everything in moderation" surprisingly enough. After all, at 67 and with heart disease you would think I would be very careful, and I am. But I still run and race and I still eat what I want, but I've lessened my total miles and cut way back on meat, have lost weight and gained energy.  But the article is interesting.

I simply wanted to show some of my friends that it's a myth that if you run a lot, you can eat anything. I am sure that is not true.  Of course there are the exceptions.  All of us know people who can eat bacon cheeseburgers every day of their lives and not ever get heart disease, plaque, high cholesterol etc.  But everyone should get checked out and not be cavalier about this stuff.

The Saint has days off on Tues and Thurs and since I am racing on Saturday we drove down to some trails in Las Colinas and went for a long walk, which turned out to be a jog/walk when the lightning hit.  We got in a little over 3 miles however.   Spareribs

...ribs//..........when we were in our 20's we COULD eat anything..........

.........stumpy//..........GOOD one.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein around here the ice is mostly gone so the only real issue on the trails is that they are basically ribbons of mud now.  One rather annoying spot where it is not gone is in front of the garage door where I store my not-winter car, a Corvette.  I got so ticked off with the ice taking its sweet time to melt that I finally took a shovel to it.  Now watch, we will get an April blizzard.

deez4boyz I wonder if winter is actually going to make a final exit.  It is even nice here today.  Tomorrow, alas, no but today is good!

The trails here are plowed pretty good since they are paved, but the neglect to do the footbridges so that can get tricky. Next year I plan to take a couple of old shovels over  there and leave them by the bridge, I will let you know how that turns out.

twocat, you are gonna make MikeE flip out 'cause we are getting that April blizzard, 2-10" coming your way, Mike, don't put your snowblower away yet.

bubble wrap sounds good, dg. Geez, deez, you are getting faster and faster!  Ribs, say hello to The Saint for me, glad you two got away together. Is she still running? You sure do have a lot of races in your area, ours are few and far between out here on the  Prairie.

I bailed on running tonight but spent 1 1/2 hours at the Y last night. Now it's time to get ready for the grandkids, well two of them are coming tomorrow with the parents. Pictures to follow.....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

twocat, you are gonna make MikeE flip out 'cause we are getting that April blizzard, 2-10" coming your way, Mike, don't put your snowblower away yet.

Yep...it's here!  And I don't own a snowblower.  I might get one, though...just so it will never snow again.

NHLA

8.5 miles 1 hr 12 min. Hot.