Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 5.1.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (4.12 morning miles with hillage in 33° temps)
    Henrun (3 morning miles in 40’s temps with rain starting)
    Tramps (5 morning miles in 34° temps)
    Jlynne (5+ morning miles)
    Wildchild (6 gorgeous trail miles in Squaw Canyon and Lost Canyon)
    Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
    RunnerKSA (1.3 at-home TM miles + lacrosse ball sitting)
    Holly (3 EZ post-work TM miles + weights & core work)
    Surly BIll (3.7 EZ miles)
    StarrRuns (2.5 walking miles in windy summerlike weather - 81° temps)
    Bioguy (walkin’ with the wife)
    Spacityrunner (4.5 evening miles on Hot Springs Mtn)

Deeze (1.1 mi morning walk)

Falconfixer (5.2 miles walking/running  in Montgomery, Alabama with minimal knee pain)

Mariposai (6 miles in good weather with a happy knee)

How’d you make out with the MIR, Jlynne?

Wildchild, does anyone like tapering??

Good prep work, Anzlo.

Welcome home, for a couple’a days, KSA.

Holly, KT tape has saved me a times too. But still take it easy.

S. Bill - no - just a moon voyeur…

Congrats on #17 for Mr. Starr.

I hate vertigo, Deeze, and I hope yours passes quickly.

Watch out for the pod people, Falconfixer!

Glad your knee is behaving, Mariposai.

I went 6.3 RW miles this morning with declining splits. Started under a gauzy moon, then moved to dense ground fog, and then to a clear sky. After stretching/showering, I walked another 2 miles to meet DW at the dive for breakfast.

Have a greta May Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

May Day!  Workers of the world...and all that.

Carolyn—“inadvertently ran 50 miles” is pretty funny.  Oops. 

Falcon—pod people?  Do tell more.  I have a good colleague/friend who was an Army brat in Montgomery for a number of years. I’ve heard lots of stories. He still follows friends from there on Facebook and sends me posts sometimes. Interesting culture.

I'm not certain but I think this is Mike’s trophy (with last year’s winner)

Got on a scale this weekend for the first time this year.    Needless to say, it’s cutback time.

Let's call it 22 miles on the bike this morning.  Beautiful weather.

Be safe. Be kind.

'morning, y'all.   2 miles on the one working leg.  Doc appt this afternoon for more work on it.  Considered going to the ortho for an xray or MRI but my husband doesn't think there is any way it's a stress fracture since I'm not in pain.  With his engineering degree and my law degree, we should know, right?   So- I'll see how today goes with the sports guy and maybe next week when I'm back in town I'll see what I want to do next.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

KSA; have you done the hop test? Evidently if you hop up and down on the bad leg and there's no sharp stabbing pain that causes you to pass out and lay on the floor in a puddle of your own blood and urine, it's not a stress fracture. Or something along those lines.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm such a garbage man that, when interrupting the last two weeks' recovery tapering since consecutive marathon/12-hour for the start of last month, I couldn't resist picking up an empty 12-pack Corona beer box to deposit in a park refuse can about 20-feet away from where the inconsiderate slob left it last night.  Voila!, it was half full of full bottles.  Un-voila.  I don't drink.  Viola!  I know someone who does.

Posie - does knee still need surgery

Maybe KSA got it. .

Mike - based on how nervous, stressful and sleepless you were before the weekend’s marathon, I don’t believe a word about what everyone is saying about you until you admit the truth in a posie RR.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SurlyBill-  just tried to try the hop test in my office.  It didn't go well!  The leg didn't hurt, but it doesn't have the strength to get very far off the ground- especially in my wedge heels!  But- I guess no stress fracture.

Afternoon Masters!!-

Vertigo seems pretty much gone today thank goodness!!  Maybe the 10 hours of sleep last night made the difference!!

Today went to mass to cover the lector spot for a friend since she is covering for me Thursday. Then hit the gym and made it in time to do a core class, test out my hip on the treadmill - BIG NO so I spent 30 minutes on the arc trainor, 10 minutes on the rower and called it a day.

I guess I need to decide if I am going to see the ortho again or just shut down the running for awhile and see if things improve.

Tonight we have a healing mass at church and I will be there to assist/comfort - I've only been to a couple of these, but I find them very powerful and I am very much looking forward to tonight.

Peace all!!

denise

Henrun

Severe pain on Achilles yesterday. Somewhat better overnight but decided to lay off runnning for several days. Did 30 minutes of indoor cycling, some elliptical and weights this morning and no pain. But will walk slowly this afternoon to meetings.

KSA; have you done the hop test? Evidently if you hop up and down on the bad leg and there's no sharp stabbing pain that causes you to pass out and lay on the floor in a puddle of your own blood and urine, it's not a stress fracture. Or something along those lines.

Deez - Hang in there! Hope there's no tear.

Nice trophy,  Mike! 

bioguy - I just bought the book, but haven't started it yet.  He recently was on Trailrunnernation podcast.  It was an interesting interview and worth listening to.

Tet - Sounds like the litter-ers were too drunk to realize they littered half their stash!

3 slow miles this a.m. with six 10-sec spurts of speed (aka "sprints").  My legs are feeling less like dead wood, so that's good.

The pest control dude come this afternoon to see what he can do about our ant issue.  Of course, not an ant in sight the last couple of days, but I know they're out there, just biding their time.  I think we have a mix of sugar and carpenter because the ones that have shown up the last couple of times are bigger than the ones we've been dealing with.  Or all the Terro we've using has developed a new kind of "super ant." 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

KSA - for what it's worth in your self-diagnosis, I am just finishing up treatment for what was possibly a sfx in my lower shin. The localized pain when my doc pressed against the bone favored a dx of a stress fx.  I also had a lot of surrounding tissue damage/inflammation so while I did take almost 3 weeks off from running, he also did aggressive treatments on the tissues, a heavy dosage of a bone builder supplements and vitamin C. One month later and the soft tissues are FINALLY calmed down to the point of not feeling tender when I press on them and most importantly I am not having the kind of pain I was when you press against the bone.  What he believes I had going on (short of an MRI to truly diagnosis whether it was a stress fx or not) was an inflammation of the sheath covering the bone (periosteum). muscle overuse can cause the periosteum to pull away from the tibia causing inflammation. Now that it seems to all be calmed down, I'm feeling pretty sure that that is what was going on. I guess that's more of a stress reaction, then a fracture. Had I continued running through that pain and ignored it, then it would have resulted in a stress fracture though. 

With that said, I have a 30K race on Saturday, that I WILL take slow, walk as needed, so I don't put myself backwards. I am going in undertrained though but will rely on those nice long runs of 20-24 that I had in Feb and March to pull me through. Hoping this 4 week taper  didn't completely unravel my progress.

Tammy

pfriese

An easy 5 mile recovery run in brand new shoes for me today. Smile

Paul

Dave59

I'm at the office today but since the hockey playoffs are going on and it is May 1st

https://youtu.be/Z0xxSsEqjIk

Hope to stop at the gym on the way home.

Tramps

I'm at the office today but since the hockey playoffs are going on and it is May 1st

https://youtu.be/Z0xxSsEqjIk

25 years. Time flies.

Be safe. Be kind.

.........have you done the hop test? Evidently if you hop up and down on the bad leg and there's no sharp stabbing pain that causes you to pass out ......

..that made my leg hurt just reading it....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Tammy, and good luck!

Mine is really more of a nerve thing-  binding and doesn't let me easily pull my leg through a running stride.  Walking with a big stride doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.