Masters Running

Sat March 27th Daily Runs - workouts - and long paragraphs (Read 472 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning All - I'm up and ready for my run, but waiting for it to get light out so I thought I would start the Daily this fine Morning - I have a 16 mile or so wave run planned, but I really don't know what my MP and 1/2 MP pace is right now. Last year it was around 7:45 for my MP, and around 7:15 for my 1/2 MP....I will see how close I can come to those paces once I get going (my resting HR is 42 bpm this morning, so my run should go well with the speed work part) - I have tried a new ploy / trick to make morning running easier for me. Most of you know I LOVE night time running MUCH better than morning running, and yes I can perform well in the mornings, but it's much less of a struggle later in the day. So what I have done the past 2 Friday nights is go to bed at 7:00 pm in the evening and get up at 3:00 am Sat morning. I then eat and hydrate well, and I have tricked my body into thinking it's later in the day than it really is.....I will see if this will work again this morning -------My new job situation had almost came to a screeching halt, so I had a VERY SERIOUS TALK with the Owner and told him things had better start moving more quickly or I am looking else where. Well, that must of worked because more got done yesterday than the whole time I have been working on getting this new shop open. The opening date is April 12th, with the grand opening May 3rd.....it's about time I tell Ya ----- You all may keep your thoughts and prayers (if inclined) for a couple of Cycling and Triathlon friends of mine. One has inoperable brain cancer, and the other is fighting stomach and esophagus cancer. The first one has no chance of living without a miracle, and the second has a decent chance with lots of radiation and chemo that he is currently going through ------Not trying to be a Bummer at all, Okay!-----Hope everyone has a Greta Day and Weekend!! - TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning and thanks for starting us out, Tim!  Sorry to hear about your friends - it's a good reminder to all of us that each day we get is a blessing that we should not take for granted.

I’m waiting to do my 20+ mile run a little later.  I tell myself that’s so I can mimic Boston timing, but the real truth is that I just don’t feel like running in the 20’s.  It’s springtime for crying out loud!  WARM UP A LITTLE!  By 9 or 10 it should at least be up in the 30’s, and nearing 50 by the time I’m done.  Since what I wear for 30° is entirely different than what I wear for 50°, I may do a 10 mile out-and-back from home and change my clothes in the middle.  It’s just harder, mentally, to do it that way, but it would save me from stuffing extra clothes into the bushes and coming back for them, or tying multiple shirts around my waist.

I made use of the time this morning to empty my refrigerator and large kitchen island and, with DH’s help, move them into the living room.  Monday the flooring guys start.  I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry to hear about your friends Tim.  My prayers are going their way.

Holly, the refrigerator in the living room?  That's a fashion look I've never considered.    Good Luck with your 20 mile run.

Trapper John came out yesterday.  Rats in the attic.  Both sides of the house.  $1000 has left the wallet.  (For trapping and fixing the 10 places they could get in.)

Tinman had me doing a Beastly workout today.  He wanted the first 13 miles easy, then the next 6 miles at 15K pace (7:50ish), followed by the last mile cool down.

This one went pretty well.  Started out easy; ran the first 9 or so at 9:15 pace, then picked up the pace to about 8:55 pace for the next 4 miles.  Finally 13 was done and i started the fast parts:

7:54, 7:47, 7:48, 7:48, 7:53.

At this point my right hamstring was sore.  So rather than risk an injury at this late date, I backed off on the last planned tempo mile and just cruised the last 2 miles home at 9:12 pace.  I could have done another fast mile but it was not at all worth it.  It seems this hamstring may be around for the race.

20 miles total in 2:57 (8:53).

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Sorry about your friends Tim.

I had no idea what I was going to do for my run when I stepped out the door this morning. My schedule had been upset and I'm not sure what I'm training for.

Soooo......I did......

21.84 miles.....3:08:33.....A water break at the 2hr mark and another quick break to stick my head in the door and holler that I was still running and had another 45 mins to go. (just in case anyone was missing me)

Calves are a little tight but I'm feeling pretty good.

Waiting for the shower to open then off to work to catch up on a few things.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

So sorry about your friends Tim.   My dad has esophogas cancer and he lived a good 7 years after diagnosis and surgery.   (he was older - so 7 years was good!)     Nice that your job is moving along faster now too.

Doug - I am still giggling about dAAve's dAd.  Big grin

Holly - we lived with a toilet in our kitchen for a few weeks while in the remodeling stages.   Now that was a conversation starter. 

I slept like a log last night - about 12 hours with only one trip at 3 a.m. to check on the babies and mom.  DH said I was snoring a lot which I don't doubt.   I just said that paybacks are hell.   They are all doing great.   Yes, the stillborns are sad, but she seems to have two every litter.   I tend to think it may be because she is so active, even though we try to keep her quiet the last few weeks.   All is good though and I am trying to help the other families find puppies.

Out for 5 miles this moring - 10:25 pace or something like that.   Like Holly's weather, it is cold!   I waited until 9 to get out there and it had warmed up to the 30's or so.

I'll leave you with Wilson.    I just love that name, and he was the biggest and looked like a volleyball when he came out:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Sarge, I'm  a few days late adding my appreciation of the bike/car thief story.  mariposai, it's great to have you post after a busy week.  bike, my thoughts are with your friends.  hopeful, thanks for the first puppy picture.

Nice long runs for kimmie, breger (and continue to pamper that hamstring), and Slo.  Good job on the speedwork for deez.

This morning, it was in the low 20s and almost calm.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:18:30 for a 9:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Good morning good people. Echoing everyone's sentiments that it's spring, and it should be much warmer than the temps we all seem to be experiencing today.

Aww, Mary. Wilson! Love the name - and what a beautiful little puppy. Glad you finally got some much-needed rest and that mother and babies are doing great.

So sorry to hear about your friends' battles with cancer, Tim. We've got a good friend battling brain cancer right now, and his prognosis isn't good. Only 42 years old and one of the most kind, considerate, gentle people I have ever met. We are truly blessed to have our good health.

Good luck with your clothing dilemma this morning, Holly. Hope the run goes well. Don't let your kids get too accustomed to having the fridge in the living room. Be sure to post some pictures next week after the work is completed.

Rats? Ewww! Glad you got that little problem taken care of, Bill! Take good care of that hamstring, OK?

Hey Slo- nice run this morning! I did a 12 miler and incorporated part of the CellCom route in it. A loop past Lambeau Field - love it. Okay temps for running today  (31°, no wind) and a pretty decent pace for a 12 mile run. I don't have a Garmin but my old Ironman said about a 9:21 mile. I'll take that!

It's always a pleasure to read Tom's posts. Another good run for you today, btw.

Mr. Will is cutting his first tooth. Yesterday, Grandma changed a diaper that could have won an Oscar for messiest diaper created by a 5-month old. Sorry, TMI I guess.

Have a good weekend!

Good afternoon everybody, 

Late start today slept in until 7:50 

11.2 miles w/DW started at 25F & finished at 42F  crazy, we aren't that slow.  Pass the house at 6.2 miles so stopped for water and remove 1 shirt,  very convenient.   

Glad to share my bike story, thanks for the comments. 

Strange dream last nite that I and a fruit cart w/ a mule and walked around town selling my fruit.

Holly knockout that 20 miler

Nice runs Bill, Slo & Tom.  Tim way to kick start the boss & you are running great right now don't get hurt 

Off to Pittsburgh for the day, my last Saturday of freedom before HS baseball starts.

Enjoy

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

All packed and ready to head on up to Ardmore, OK, just one hour, forty minutes north of here.  Did a mile on the elliptical this morning just to get the blood flow started.  Am expecting to run 9:30's with a 4:10 finish, so I should be done around 1:10 p.m. eastern time.  I will call hally and tell her when I'm done.

All packed now.  Just need to go into the kitchen to use the toilet and grab a soda from the living room fridge and we are off.  Spareribs

I really don't understand this running thing. 36 hours ago I had to bail on an easy run after a half mile with ankle pain. Today, I ran 21 miles @9:17  pace. I left Gatorade on my front steps and did 3 different loops from my house including some really tough hills in the second loop. Just two stops at my house to pee and grab a drink.Chilly but nice sunny morning with no wind.

I guess there's no sense in trying to understand these things. Well, off to take my two oldest daughters to a b-day party and laser tag.

Slo

Hey Ribs !  Always good to see you.

Jlynne......I'm signed up for the Half but I'm kinda training for the full. I'm so torn.....I could do a series of races doing 3 HM's in 4 weeks or do the Full at Green Bay and hope that in 20 days I'll be recovered enough to do a 20k.

If not I could run the 20k with my youngest sister and keep her company as she completes her longest race. Or just run an easy Full and enjoy my lap around Lambeau field.......is there such a thing....easy full ???

Deez4boyz.....I've always wanted to tell you.....My pace is:  2miles to the Rosary

dg.

Ribs.,  you're probably off (not touching that one) already but just in case,  good luck!!!!!!      can't wait to hear all about it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

EGH!! That's some remarkable recovery!

Nice run Bill and it's wise to back off if you think you might damage something.

Slo.. very nice pace for 22 miler!!

Good luck Ribs!

5 miles in 44:54 (8:59, AHR 152) on a beautiful IRC day 48° and sunny.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Hey George, that's great! Now you can join in with the rest of the taper crowd and be ready to roll at Boston.

Some really nice runs here already, and more to come. I'm off cycle from most everyone cuz I got such a late (re)start. So this weekend is easy for me, but I'm tempted to change tomorrow to a 20 anyway... but I probably won't. The weather conditions should be perfect though with highs around 40 and the bike paths so clear... we might get snow this week (that's why I'm reconsidering). But... we'll see. I don't mind a 2-week taper and have lots of other things to do this weekend besides run.

Prayers for Tim's buddies. That really sucks. But glad to hear your job situation is looking up and your running is going great!

GL to Ribs!!

Hey, if anyone here has heard of the Mt. Marathon race in Seward, you might like this. It's about a 3 mile race, but a brutal climb up a very steep hill, then a terrific drop to the finish. A local guy won it last year, same guy who later won the Equinox.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alaskagirlinthewoods#p/a/u/0/G8eOghLQw8Y

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm off cycle from most everyone cuz I got such a late (re)start. So this weekend is easy for me, but I'm tempted to change tomorrow to a 20 anyway... but I probably won't. The weather conditions should be perfect though with highs around 40 and the bike paths so clear... we might get snow this week (that's why I'm reconsidering). But... we'll see. I don't mind a 2-week taper and have lots of other things to do this weekend besides run.

Erika... late start here too...  my plan is 18 (tomorrow) then 20, 15 the next two Sundays. MPW: 61 this week then 60, 50, 30.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova