Masters Running

Wednesday, 2.15.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

Dave (4 miles at the local park)

Hally (30 min. running outside in 28F temps)

Tramps (awesome trail run in shorts with good music and even a tumble, but onto soft leaves)

BerthaSlayer (8 miles in sunshine on the flats because of the brakes)

TomWhite (30 min on the Greenway in sleet, and with the flu [which was a gift])

Catwhoorg (6 good miles that felt faster than yesterday)

Holly (6 TM miles)

Tet (5 miles under spreading clouds, with sightings of daisies, dandelions, and great blue herons)

Rochrunner (2.1 post-car-drop-off miles at a good 10+ pace with a tail wind)

Evanflein (32 min on the elliptical, then a mile on a 200m track, with foot feeling OK)

Marj (somewhat achy run on the last day of vaca)

Tammy (4 evening miles, overdressed in 60F temps)

Mariposai (6 after-work miles to enjoy the fresh air, if not the carpy icy road surfaces)

Good luck at the doc's tomorrow, Leslie.

Good luck to DD if she does go out for lacrosse, Holly.

Beautiful shot of that great blue, Tet!

Roch - Get whatever kind of sink will work best for you. We, like Tammy, have a split sink with a large and small bowl. The small bowl had a food disposal in it, which is very convenient, and enables us to use our sink as you do. If it were up to me, I'd stick with 2 bowls for the extra functionality. But it's not up to me, so go back to my first sentence.

Congrats on the new tooth, Evanflein.

Marj, it sounds like you and Henry have had a great trip - except for the lack of stretching...

We had a nice, simple Valentine's dinner at home, in front of the fireplace/wood stove. I made a big salad, salmon burgers (which were easy and pretty tasty), and some pan-cooked asparagus with just a little Balsamic glaze. It was a nice, quiet evening, which was exactly what we wanted.

I went 5.9 miles this morning in 25F temps, and under a mostly cloudy sky, but with some moon poking through every now and then. I had new batteries in my headlamp and new shoes on my feet, and mostly-clear pavement (for a change), so it was pretty good out there, except that I pushed it perhaps a little more than I should have, and my damstring eventually started to push back a bit, so I backed off for the last 3/4 mile, and stretched easily but thoroughly when I got back. The shoes are Topo ST-2, which are very light, very neutral, with just a scootch of stability and cushioning, and with a nice wide toebox, and I like them a lot.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hey Jay and all to follow.

Busy day in here yesterday. Busy at work too.

New kicks eh Jay. That's one thing I like about running. Careful with that hammy.

I got 5 this morning before I head off to Vegas for company meeting/work. Not real excited about it. Not much of a gambler and the running there isn't so good. Guess I'll people watch and hit Top Golf since DW isn't going.

We treated DD and her boyfriend to a nice dinner for Valentines day. Her boyfriend works hard and is very careful about money but couldn't spring for it. They both dressed up and were so happy to head out. Gave DW and me a huge smile.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good morning guys and those yet to post. Thanks for your recap Jay. And congrats on the new shoes - and batteries

Safe travels Norm. Nice of you and your DW to sponsor Valentine's dinner for your DD and her boyfriend.

Yeah, good luck at the doc Leslie.

4.5 miles on a very sore left heel, just because I'm not the brightest light bulb in the package.

Was happy to see a German Shepard won "best in show" at the Westminster last night. A beautiful dog named Rumor, I believe.

Carpe Diem everyone!

Tramps

Good morning.

Roch--We're a happy two-sink household. The separate sink is useful for washing or sometimes air-drying in a rack things that we don't want to put in the dishwasher.

Out for 5 on another gray, overcast day.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5 miles today that were way too fast. Because they were supposed to be run easy. Oh well. Live and learn.

Sun went back into hiding.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Back from my cruise and trying to ketchup!! So ridiculously sick tho!! I was on Penicillin before I went away for testing positive for strep throat and had a bit of a sinus cold that seemed to clear up. Felt great most of the cruise and had a blast, but started getting a cough end of the week. Now have a serious sinus cold and cough that is making me just miserable!!

More importantly - has anyone ever experienced a quad strain?  I remember at the start of a cold run the thurs before my cruise I felt a weird pull in my left quad - thought it was just from the cold and lack of warmup but I ran 10 miles and it felt ok. Next run was 2 days later in warm Miami and it was achy but not enough that I couldnt run so I did an easy 4.  Since then it has been hurting even when I walk. I attempted a treadmill run on the cruise but it felt lousy so only lasted 1 mile. Any suggestions?

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

C-R - we are doing Top Golf on Saturday - great fun!

{{{Deez}}} - nice to see you back, but I hope you are feeling better soon.

I have to say, SNL is really getting some good material out of the political stuff.  Have you seen the skits of Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer?  She is hilarious!  Regardless of your political leanings, they are putting out some funny stuff.

6 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...jay//..........I can't help but think

a Brace with 3-adjustable straps (not the pricey one) would help you with that damstring problem

https://www.amazon.com/Oversized-Arthritis-Ligament-Injuries-Meniscus/dp/B01M9J9F1K/ref=sr_1_78_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487180221&sr=8-78&keywords=hamstring+brace

.........what I did

was used my ''Thigh'' Measurement,so it would fit my hamstring,

add a 2-inch VelcroStrap to the middle

and

THIS was my Hamstring Brace,

it works Fine

=========

...no Sleet today, but I decided to work-out anyway

30s with windchill,

30-min on GreenWay with zero handweights,

figure this might give my Back a ''loosen up'' day

still

not well enough to swim

......................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.  Nice to have clear roads, I bet.

Deez - Dang.  I'd say rotate ice and heat (20/20) one or twice an hour and be nice to it until it stops hurting.

Tet - I'm signed up for the 50k on Saturday and 25k on Sunday.  Normally, the folks who run the double get a growler of beer.  Since I don't drink, I asked for a growler of root beer.  Ends up they're offering beer, root beer or apple cider. My buddy, Karen, is co-race director, which is one of the reasons I'm going  Also, I get to see her.  And no matter what, if I want to run a trail race average drive time is 6-8 hrs because of where I live.

Roch - I don't think I'd like a single sink.  I see them in all the renos I watch on TV and have never understood them.  We use both sides a lot.

Did about a 25 min stationary bike ride last night.  Oddly, that doesn't irritate my "whatever" like running, walking, and sitting do.  Go figure.

The doc I will be seeing in Portland says I have a 50/50 chance of running this weekend.  That's fine.  It was a 50/50 chance anyway, given how things feel.  I've been able to jerry-rig a sit/stand option for my desk here at work.  When I get back, I'm going to try and talk the office into getting me a sit/stand desk.  We'll see.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

The roller coaster weather dipped 10 degrees for my 6 miles today.

Wind got up a bit as well

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Head Procrastinator

Feel Better, Denise. Sorry you were sick on vacation.

4 miles for me this morning, another pleasant morning with little wind. Temps don't matter so much it's that darned wind!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

I have one big sink, and like it that way.  So I'm with Marj on this one.  If I had more space, I'd like two large, deep sinks.  Those double sinks where one side is smaller and sometimes shallower just bug me the carp out of me, not sure why.  I can put a whole casserole dish with handles into my big sink, down flat, to clean it properly.  Even a large cookie sheet.

It's raining, steady and heavy.  But I can't tolerate the idea of the TM.  So I am about to go out and get soaked. Smile  Probably a short one, 3 or 4 miles.  It is warm, 50 F, so it shouldn't be too miserable.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for the recap once again, Jay. I have a lot to ketchup on but I gather that Erika is babying a sore foot, and so close to Phoenix too. Healing vibes to you too, Leslie, hoping the doctor has a miraculous cure for you before your big races this weekend. I vote for a double sink too since we wash the pots and pans by hand. It’s easier that way although, I don’t particularly like mine since the divider only goes half way up making it impossible to fill the sink up all the way without it sloshing out.

I am gradually getting back into running. Monday I did a .5 mile run/1 min walk for 3 ½ miles. Tonight after work will be the same. It is nice and sunny and up to 39°. Last night MrStarr and I went out for dinner to celebrate our 41st anniversary. It was a nice evening out which we don’t do very often these days.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

...Good for You starr//...........Easy Does It........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back deez.

However, I thought that's where people

with colds went, not come back from.

With the Bertha queen and henry/marj too

now back, we are need someone to report

in once-in-a-while from down there

where it's summer all year long.

- grins

<<<(hint/hint)>>>

Tet - I'm signed up for the 50k on Saturday and 25k on Sunday.

wow wow wow, leslie, I've never heard of an ultra being part of a two-dayer.

Heck, I'd walk down there to do it.  Sure hope the Portland doc says it's okay, . . . .

at least to walk 'em.  Is it Dr. MM Kate? Good luck. Have fun, . . .

even if it's only a couple of miles and then volunteer

at the finish and come back for 'em next year.

Glad the Oronoco Dam seems to be okay now

that all the rain seems to be up here.

I don't know anything about it but a local clinic is advertising

that the most common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis.

https://www.washingtonheelpain.com/practice_areas/plantar-fasciitis.cfm

tom - you could always tell the skiers in those days

as otherwise good-fitting slacks were too tight for quads.

I'm with enke and was not going to let a little rain

stop this morning's five mile 'mute.  Got garbed up for it,

raincoat and all but, unfortunately, rain abated only about

a half-mile from the house.  However, got blessed

with a little heavier dose for the last two miles

and it's supposed to be really pouring

for this afternoon's return.

I'm ready.

ps jay - a great blue on each of two of the twelve orange buoys

on the way in.  No robins. Unfortunately, though they look

the same, I have to seek out stock images as, for some reason,

it's no longer possible to just copy-and-paste photos from my Flicker

account into a morning post on RA.  No wonder I don't like Flickr anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)