Masters Running

Sundaily, 11.17.19 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, I'm so sorry to learn about your FIL's prognosis. Yes, cancer sucks.

So glad to read about the Amos sighting and brief meet-up (thanks, RCG). I'm glad she's still out there with her new Wonder Woman hips.

Quickadder, racewalkers can't do trails, so I have no perspective to offer on your race choices. However, I do think that Evanflein asks a good question about your race goals.

Twocat, while it would be interesting, this may not be the best of times to be in Hong Kong depending, of course, on exactly where the conference is.

My niece finished Richmond in 4:20 yesterday - certainly a respectable time for a first-timer! I haven't caught up with her yet to get her perspective on the race.

What is good that happens after midnight is sleep.

Uh, thanks for sharing, Mike.

Yesterday, DW and I went to an Xfinity store to switch to them as our cell phone carrier (better pricing and  coverage). They said my phone (bought 11 months ago, with nothing owed on it) was locked, and we'd have to get our current carrier, Verizon, to unlock it. Called Verizon, and they said that Apple had locked my iPhone. Called Apple and they said it definitely wasn't them. Drove to a Verizon store to speak with them in person since they and Apple were pointing at each other as the culprit. The guy at Verizon said nope, not them, since they only lock phone for 6 months after purchase, and that was a recent change, and I was well past that anyway. We said that they and Apple had to figure it out - we were not going to continue to get bounced back and forth between them. He tried different things, called and spoke with Apple (who said they don't lock phones, period), and called Verizon Customer Service, who eventually said yes, the phone is locked, and we can unlock it. They never said why it was locked, but they did unlock it, and that was all we cared about. 2 3/4 hours after we started at the Xfinity store, we were back there and successfully switched to them as our carrier. There, that was easy...

Falconfixer - good thought, but I think the relative softness of the indoor track made up for any impact the curves would have had on my ankles. With a bit of tape on one of them, they did fine yesterday.

I waited till 6 to head out this morning so I wouldn't have to wear my headlamp. I had on tights, a l/s shirt and a windbreaker, knit beanie and mittens. It was 19° with a NW breeze and try as hard I could, I never got warm. It didn't help that my right shoe came untied twice so I had to take my mittens off to retie (I finally double-knotted it). When I got back home, my core was a bit chilled, and my hands were slightly better than numb. I guess I need glove liners with my mittens when it is that chilly. But I still got in 6.8 RW miles, with 3+ at 11:34-11:12 as I worked hard to get warm.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Jay, thanks for the start and good morning to you and to all who follow.   FWIW, I've found even very light glove liners inside mittens make a huge difference at temps in the teens and below.     Wow, so sorry about the run around at the cell phone places.   With eight gazillion phones out there, it's not surprising that policies or procedures on locking vs unlocking are inconsistent...frustrating it took so long for you to get to the person who could take action, though.   Hope the new carrier works well for you.    Congrats to your niece!!  4:20 is a terrific first marathon. 

Holly, so sorry about the brain cancer...hoping the docs can provide some palliative care for him. 

Quick, I'd lean about 60/40 to the trail race, though I don't thing you have a "wrong" choice there.   I like both trails and road races a lot, a duality which I've found, surprisingly, annoys some intense runners of each preference...as if it is not allowed to like both.   Thus, my equivocation.

SRD for me, will do abs/core later. 

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Early negotiations with the kidnappers are going well. Mariposai may return soon. But we need more cash. Please be generous!

In running news, I extended my distance to 5 miles this morning. But, man was I slow. I do not know, my legs were just leaden.

As for Hong Kong, the news just gets worse. The conference is not at a university but at the "executive teaching center in Cyberport," which is where? I have no idea. Maybe that means it is not close to the action (which is action I am happy to miss, thank you). At least that is what the conference hosts claim. I do want to present my paper on the CPI since I would like to get some more feedback before sending it out to a journal. But, I also want to come home in one piece.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay. I kinda hate cell phones.

Falcon—interesting. I’ve wondered about those collision avoidance sensors fostering a false sense of security.

Twocat—that story’s from the previous century. But I guess it left an impression. BTW, good luck with the Hong Kong thing. It's been awful there, as you know.

RCG—glad you and Amy met up. Titanium hips, eh? Ouch. Sounds like the RS got inspired! The band last night made several references to the marathon including asking who there ran it. Apparently there were a few finishers still up with their medals and all.

Holly—that sounds horrible for your FIL.

Quickadder—these are such individual decisions. It’s gotta be your call. I was never an ultra-guy, even when healthy. 26 was plenty for me.

Tet—I love your pics but often wish they were a little bigger. You should be able to enlarge them a bit by clicking on the corner of the image and dragging.

Steve--no ice cream? Interesting.

DH's dad used to say "if you're not having fun by 11 p.m., it's time to go home."

Ha! I hadn't heard that one before; I like it. I've had plenty of good times after midnight!

The running mojo discussion is interesting. I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I perk up when it gets colder and find running much more enjoyable since I’m not overheating. Of course, we have modest cold and little snow. If it's above freezing, I’m in shorts and loving it. Colder requires running pants but I still much prefer that to the summertime H&H.

Tramps, how was the concert?

Awesome! If you're at all into country/roots/Americana---whatever you want to call it--I highly recommend Old Crow Medicine Show, if you ever get the chance to see them. Seven fantastic musicians transform the old-style string band format into a high-energy, campy, funny 21st Century performance. They played some of their best stuff plus some re-imagined classic covers (Hank Williams, Bob Wills, and John Prine last night, finishing the evening with "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"). A nearly 3-hour show with co-leader Charlie Worsham opening with some solo numbers and co-leader Ken Secor (who some of you might remember from the Ken Burns’ documentary interviews) serving as carnival barker/MC the rest of the way, including leading a funny faux-gospel (“Stoner Gospel” ) segment invoking “the book of Willie” [Nelson].

I like the acoustics in this 3500-seat venue, where we had cheap seats in the balcony. Also, as retired faculty, I get free parking at a University parking deck that's literally across the street. What's not to like?

Beers and Indian food after the show. It was w-a-a-a-y past midnight by the time we headed to bed.

It's gray, chilly, and windy so we're planning on an afternoon hike rather than riding today.  We'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks for the start, Jay. I am definitely in the minority since, although I use and enjoy my smartphone's features a lot, I don't require that much in terms of cell data, which seems to mostly go with streaming videos and gaming. So I do just fine with a "prepaid" plan from AT&T for $40/month that has unlimited talk & text and 5Gb of data and also works in Canada. My main use of data is streaming music in the car; otherwise, I'm on Wifi. So I rarely use more than 2Gb a month. My DW is way less of a user and gets by with a Tracfone plan for about $15/month.

Talk about a mojo-less run. This marked the start of the winter season when the best choice of venues is the 6-mile loop around the lake at the metropark. After running a strong 10K last Sunday, I struggled after only 3 miles and ran/walked the rest for an overall 11:49 pace. Obviously this is the payback for my having done no running at all during the week. The solution going forward will be to get in a mid-week run or two before attempting another full circuit.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good Grief!

Jay/Roch/Holly - your guys' phones are as complicated as shoes.

Steve - were you wearing Batman when you were arrested?

ps - maybe lease out Dunkin' for squirrel control.

Twocat - hope the conference is far away

from the protesting and it'll be safe for your to go.

ps - are you using some of the GoFundMe $

to extend to Mongolia to look for posie?

Good luck.

All things come to an end at last and this morning's lawn and driveway greeted me with less than a dozen of the neighbor's oak leaves and maybe only 25-30 or our cherry tree leaves so'll I'll leave 'em where they lie and hope today's steady rain'll add a few more for tomorrow morning.

Leslie - me too on posting pictures. It's been so frustrating not being able to post pics as everyone else can do (except RCG, too).  I'm using the Batman formula and posting them in a posting-friendly hiking forum I joined this summer and then can cat/past into RA just like it used to be possible to do in Boomers-and-Beyond.

Tramps - I've been keepin' em small 'cause I thought they can be enlarged from the corners after posting.  Either way, they seem to come out much darker than on my smart phone.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Got out mid-morning after it warmed up and drove to the path for 4.2 miles.  It was a nice day and I overdressed, as usual.  Shed the windbreaker at 2 1/2 miles.   I then drove to my office (a rare weekend sighting- usually handle things from home) because I had to get out an important and controversial email to my main outside counsel.  So, that's done and I can head home.    We are having company for dinner and Ken is grilling a pork tenderloin.  It will all go fine, but I am not known as the "great entertainer", so it's never as easy as it is for many folks.  Fun friends and it will all be fine.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, actually did my first 20 miler since the 2018 Tobacco Road Marathon (March).  It was ugly, and got uglier the further I went but part of that was due to me adding some extra hills.  It was overcast for most of it and temps were quite nice (40s, but warming) throughout.  I'll debate whether or not to do the recovery ride this afternoon.

Fattozig, not having students show is more annoying with the evening classes (Tues and Thur) since I wind up missing the outdoor ride and have nothing to really show for it.

Twocat, FWIW, I'd be leaning against going to Hong Kong at this time.

Mike, thanks....I think?  

Jay, glad you got the phone thing worked out.

Have a greta day everyone!

...steve//........can you put your finger in the IceCream and then rub Dunkin's lip??.......

this

could either give him a taste for IceCream or Fingers....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Joe618

Afternoon all.   Channeling my inner Leslie and, apparently today, Karen as well and am at work.   Had a key item to get done which has eluded me all week and, with no interruptions, got it done in 40 minutes.   Hope you could phrase your difficule email OK, Karen.   Was able to crank up Dave Matthews Band, didn't annoy anyone and made me smile and got 'er done. 

Your concert last night sounds great, Tramps.

Twenty miler, Falcon, wow!!  Good for you!!!

Enjoy the rest of your day folks. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Perhaps Dunkin is lactose intolerant?

This afternoon

49°

The RS and I took King Leonidas to the swamp trail. I ran two miles then changed my shirt, went the other way and found them on the bridge. We saw a great blue heron in the swamp.

My goal is to run 2-3 miles on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays or Sundays.  Plus all the other walking and biking and pilates. Maybe I will get back in shape.

Jay! I cheered for your niece.  😁  We cheered everyone from sub 3's to sub 5's. We cheered loudly as each of the pacers toting the signs signaling the finish time goals ran by. I distinctly remember cheering for the 4:15 group.

Getting ready for mass at 1700 hours. Then going over to play Mahjong with my sisters and Mamarosa.

Mamarosa moved in with sister2 in April. My BIL and sister2 built a downstairs suite for Mama. A preemptive strike. She is 83 and in good health. Why wait?

Be well!

RCG

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Thanks, Joe.  I think I did a pretty good job on the email, but one of the recipients called me on my cell while I was in my truck on the way home from the office!  I got things worked out.  Basically, we found a genius (through my counterpart at another retailer) in an important and emerging legal area and "cheated" on our main firm to draft an agreement.  I had to present it to my main firm, say "here's what we're using and we look forward to you working with us in using it to defend our cases" and shut down all the reasons they would insist that what they had us doing previously was better.  Needless to say, it all arose out of California issues.   

It's getting gloomy outside- no more sunshine for now.  I hate that!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

..50s and Overcast.......

a Blah Work-Out for a Blah-Day

40-min RC Token Gesture at soccerfields

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Was able to crank up Dave Matthews Band, didn't annoy anyone and made me smile and got 'er done.  

That's what really differentiates the generations, or can pin someone down to a birth year plus or minus a few: the music that you're familiar with and like. For example, we own a double-CD of The Who's Greatest Hits (some younger masters here are going "Who?" at this point). We've found that I know and can sing along with all the songs on the first CD but just a few on the 2nd one, and the reverse is true for my DW. So just a bit of overlap. In general, I know the hits from the late 50s into the 70s and she starts more in the late 60s. But I still can't believe that I married someone who doesn't know Boris the Spider!  

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe618

So much for SRD...I drove home from my office, it was partly sunny, 44F, no wind and I decided to go run and not "waste" IRC like this in November.   Had a delightful 6 1/4 miles that felt great.   Was encouraged by this, especially after 14 yesterday.

Roch, you are spot on about identifying someone's age by the preferences in music...it almost always works.   I must be the same age as your DW, as that's my sweet spot.   However, complicating things, are my kids who put me on to some of the music they like, most notably DMB, U2 and John Mayer.   Good stuff.   And I know all of The Who's stuff as well.    Actually went to one of the first-ever live performances of "Tommy" when I was a senior in HS.   Go figure.

Karen you win today's diplomacy prize.   Congratulations.    You and Dunkin' should both go out for ice cream to celebrate.....

________