Masters Running

Flag Day, MONDAY June 14 Daily...... (Read 754 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Total rest day for me today.   Heck, if I didn't have to go to work, I'd probably still be in bed after a very fun filled camping weekend.    DH took 2nd place in his classic bike category yesterday.   He was very, very excited and happy.   There were bikes as far as the eye could see.   I'll post a picture or two later.  He also put about 90 miles on the oldie riding with the oldies on Saturday.   People at the campground were calling him Mr. Cushman.  Big grin

I did get in two runs over the weekend.    Saturday was a hot, humid and hilly 4.5 miles and luckily I brought a bottle of water with me.   Sunday was a much cooler and refreshing 5 hilly miles.  

I'll have to check back later to read up on what happened over the weekend with everyone.

Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary - sounds like a great weekend!

No run for me today, just some light x-training: shoulder presses, dumbbell curls, push-ups, bent rows, weighted squats, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, and various stability ball core stuff.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning ladies - you're both up early today

Sounds like a nice weekend Mary, and congrats to your DH for finishing second with his Cushman. Glad you had good camping weather. It was a pretty miserable weekend here.

That was a great picture of you at the concert, Holly. You look so mellow!

Welcome Ennay and happy belated birthday. We're not getting older, we're getting better, right?

Hope Wannabe's DS is feeling better today and his color levels are back to the normal skin tone range. That was a nasty accident, and it's a miracle he wasn't hurt worse.

Still feeling the effects of my 10K on Saturday. I've been icing and taking the anti-inflammatory meds the doc gave me. Promised her I'd stay off it for a week but the eliptical doesn't seem to bother it. So I did 5 miles this morning and then used the weight machines and stability ball. I'm way behind training for that October marathon, but hoping I have  enough of a base so that I can catch back up after taking it easy last week and this week.

A Saucy Wench

Morning!  Monday is gym day.  I'm up early today so I'll probably get in my weights and a short TM run this morning and get a chance to do some rowing and yoga later when I take the kids in to the daycare. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave59

First day back at work for me since June 3rd.  Yesterday I went low-tech.  I decided to go a day without turning on the tv or computer.  Of course, that puts me behind in everything going on in the forum and facebook worlds. I've skimmed enough to know about the backward names (Evad Yelgeb), the heat in the east, and cny's overall first place finish - congratulations!

I did an easy 3 this morning.  That is after giving my sore calf 6 complete days off (and really more than that because the 2 little runs last Monday and Tuesday were just short walks.)

The calf felt fine and as long as I keep it easy it should be ok.  I'll probably do a week or two of every other day runs.

I'd like to participate in a 20k on July 3rd that I signed up for back in February.  It's a fun event in Frankenmuth that I have done a number of years now.  Usually the 10k or 5k, but last year I finally ran the 20 and that's what I signed up for this year.

Morning, gang!

Mary - congrats to DH and the Cushman!  Glad to hear you had such a good camping weekend!

Holly - I like the seat in your photo - looks mightly comfy!  Did you get it locally?

jlynne - take care of that foot!

Welcome Ennay!

Dave - hope the calf continues to behave!

6 hilly miles this morning @10:39 and 151 AHR.  I meant to do only 4 miles, but it was overcast and mildly breezy, and with higher than average temps predicted for the latter part of the week, I decided to take advantage.  Liberal icing followed the run, and I plan to get in an hour of core and weights for lunch.  

One of the osprey parents was delivering a nice fish breakfast this morning, and the other parent was supervising from a lofty perch.  

I did an 8 mile "long" run on Saturday - my longest run since April.  Yesterday was a "rest day" but I spent 3 hours string-trimming - my right arm feels it today. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - I like the seat in your photo - looks mightly comfy!  Did you get it locally?

We rent the seats there for $5 each.  They are very comfortable and strong enough to hold a big guy like my DH (behind me in the photo).  There is regular seating (right below us), but we find that the lawn ticket with the rented chairs is much more comfortable and fun for a group, and this is a small enough venue that there really isn’t a bad seat in the place.

What is string-trimming?

Erika – I know what you mean about garage sales.  Mostly we just sell items we want to get rid of on craigslist.com, and the little stuff I give to Goodwill.  I think I may make more off the tax write-off than what I would get from a garage sale.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning all

Easy 7 miler for me after the kiddo headed out for school---last full week and then a half-day on Monday and that's it for 8th grade. The run went fine---no watch, no tunes (but a cell phone as always in my pocket)---just a nice easy lope around one of my favorite neighborhood loops and finished up as Mr. CNYrunner was finishing his walk. nice!

The double racing weekends are slowing down for me soon ---The Northampton Mile on 6/21, 6/19, a 10 mile race in VT on 6/27 and then a July 4th race that's actually on July 3 and that will be it for awhile (aside from the weekly series trail races, but those are workout runs). It's been fun, but good to dial it down a bit.

Dr. J is one of the chief organizers of the Northampton Mile....come visit! Run a fast mile and then stay in town for dinner and/or a show.

Glad you had fun camping Mary.  DW talks about camping every once in a while, but her idea of camping is one of those monstrous RV's with a microwave, queen beds, and a flat screen TV. 

Sounds like you had a good time at the concert Holly.

Don't fret about yuor October marathon yet, Jlynne.  You have time.   A couple of easy weeks will be good for you.

Ennay, I'm staying far away from those Pink boxing gloves.  Welcome!

Dave, a 20K in Frankenmuth sounds great.  Wish I could be there to run it too.

SueT, string trimming is harder than an 8 mile run a y day.

CNYrunner, another exemplary race and a win on a hilly course. 

4 easy miles for me this morning at 9:22 pace in the typical pre-dawn steam bath.  Legs and lungs felt good.  The sweat glands need a refill.  For those of you who complained all winter about running in the the dark (you know who you are!), get out there now.  The next couple of weeks are the longest days of the year.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Wow, what an ambitious group!  Maybe if I post more often, I can stay motivated to run

in this darn heat and humidity.  After my slooow 10K race on Sat. I am wondering if I will be able

to do any more long runs until fall!  If anyone has any tips on how they acclimate themselves to this mess, 

please pass on!

Mary, congrats to DH!

Holly, didn't see any picture??  See note below about what string trimming is.

Jlynne, speedy recovery to you!

Ennay - tough schedule w/ kids!

Dave, I like the every other day schedule too

Sue - 3 hours of trimming - wow!

Today I did an easy 3.5 at 5:15 am, and it was already 77 and followed that w/ a mile swim.  This afternoon I have

Zumba and pump it up class.  In between I must do some "string-trimming" except down here we call

it weed wacking!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mary - sounds like a great weekend!

No run for me today, just some light x-training: shoulder presses, dumbbell curls, push-ups, bent rows, weighted squats, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, and various stability ball core stuff.

I notice that Holly's "light" workout looks suspiciously like my Saturday pump class that kicks my butt each week.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Happy Flag Day. Also my 12th wedding anniversary today. But I'm traveling for business Burlington, VT. Got 6 miles in this morning after 5 last night. Nice to run in a different city. The run is very hilly so it's a great workout. It's funny. We got married on Flag day, DW1 was born July 4th, and DW2 was born. On Patriot's Day. We're a very patriotic family.

We normally are a fussy bunch here and don't respond to just Ennay one.....but in your case we will

Welcome Ennay !

No run yesterday....too hot even for me.  But I cross trained into a golf game.   NOT SMART.    I drank plenty of water (I thought) and felt from running in the heat, that I would be fine.  However, I really dehydrated and unfortunately this spoiled a perfect round (for me) in the last 5 holes.

How about them Celtics?

Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, didn't see any picture??  

It was on yesterday's daily - just a cellphone shot a friend took of our group at a concert. 

Re acclimating, all I can say is go slow, and drink lots of water.  After 2-3 weeks it doesn't seem so bad.

EGH3 - Happy Anniversary!

whipper snipper, weed wacking, string trimming, I think they are all the same thing.

Did some whipper snipping myself yesterday, finally.  I have been avoiding pulling out the blackberry shoots in the brush because they are nasty but I can't put it off much longer.

Trying to decide on a 6 mile run today, or tomorrow instead when it will be cooler.  My body temperature has been all over the place lately.  I had to leave Target the other day when an intense hot flash washed over me.  But other times I am really chilly.  I don't think it is perimenopause but the thyroxine.  I get my new number back on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to that info.

Lamerunner - it truly amazes me that you can run a whole marathon without water.

Kids out of school Thursday at 11.  I am both looking forward to it and dreading it.  I can sleep in, but then I will never have time to run, so I will actually have to get up at 5am.  And then there is the endless fighting they do...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."