Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.3.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Dave (3 comfortable morning miles in the park)
    RunnerKSA (4 morning miles + 2 post-work TM miles)
    Holly (6.1 pre-horseback riding miles)
    Rochrunner (morning weights at Planet Fitness)
    Tramps (exercise & core work)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 20 post-work bike miles))
    Tet (5 morning lake miles)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Deeze (4.1 soupy pre-work miles, plus 1 mile walk to work)
    BTY (5 miles, including 4 at the fast end of easy)
    StarrRuns (½ hr morning walk + 7 bike miles)
    Mike (9 miles, including 6 at comfortable tempo pace)

Dave - yes, by saying you wouldn’t, you did.

Yes, it can be hard getting out there, RunnerKSA, but is almost always worth the effort.

I hope you are well-rested for the rest of the ride, Pfriese.

Sounds like a great and active vacation, Holly. How’s DD feeling?

Rochrunner, I’m with Twocat regarding car salespeople: I don’t have to like them - I just have to like the deal they are offering. But then again, if they are an unqualified jerk, I will walk…

Nice lake walk, Tet.

Good luck on today’s 20, Twocat.

Welcome back, Deeze! I hope you didn’t get rained on in Fenway last night.

Congrats on getting your legs back, BTY. How’d the time trial go? Fly is tough to just jump back into. A friend of our’s father still does Masters swimming; he’s 90.

Welcome back to Starr too. I’m glad you had a great trip to Germany. Congrats on your 5 year chip!

Good pic of Ryan and Dash, Mike.

I got a nasty charliehorse in my right hamstring in the middle of the night, and it woke me up and took a few minutes to loosen it up and calm it down. It was still tight when I woke this morning. This is the same hammy that I injured last Fall so, in perhaps an overabundance of caution, I opted to stay in this morning and just do some light stretching to loosen it up some more. Of course, it is fine now...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks Jay.

Welcome back, Starr.

You bet! Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park has 152 trails (over 55,000 miles)

I don’t want to be nitpicky but their web site says 355 miles.

I think Holly has a future working in the White House.

Mike--loss of a good dog affects everyone.  From the VA governor yesterday.

It must be “Bring Your Fawns to Work Day” because I came across four separate sets of does and fawns this morning on my ride. Cuteness overload.

20 mile ride this morning, pushing the pace a little bit.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I'm in the office today (for the first time in 2-3 weeks) so I'll be skipping any workout activities.  My back/neck is bothering me anyway.  I have a doctor appointment in a week and a half and I'll ask him what he thinks about the ongoing back issues I've been having.

In anticipation of the the President's visit, the arena where he is speaking and the office of one of our Senators has been vandalized with graffiti.  The protesters are getting started early.  I am happy to be spending the day in Charleston, an hour east of ground zero.

We have friends who live in the Smoky Mountains near Knoxville and I enjoy hiking the trails with them when I visit.  They have (or had) something called a Centennial Challenge where you hike 100 miles in a year.  Probably doesn't sound like a lot to people in this group but I know some folks were motivated to get out and complete that.  I am pretty sure my friends blew away that total.

I think Holly has a future working in the White House.

And thanks for the link to that article on women and running in "older" age Tramps. I guess it really doesn't matter how slow I get as long as I get out there.

Thanks for the recap Jay, and sorry about the touchy hamstring. Always good to err on the side of caution. We may be getting older, but for sure we're getting smarter, right?

Welcome back Deez and Starr! Tell us more about your vacations if you have time.

Mike - I was so sorry to hear about Ryan's dog. That was a great picture.

What a difference a couple of days makes. It was raining, windy and 59° this morning. Not wanting to get on Twocat's bad side, I went to the Y and did 7 on the treadmill, then 30 minutes of weights and core. I was getting ready to leave and a spin class was just starting so I jumped into that. 45 minutes with a lot of it way out of my comfort zone! I was soaked when I left.

I forgot to tell all of you how much I appreciated your thoughts/opinions on DS#2 and his job situation. I've been trying to stay out of this mess and let him deal with it. His rent was due on the 1st. I didn't give him any money so I'm not sure how he covered all of his bills (car payment, utilities, cell phone, etc.) He has two interviews this week and I'm hoping one of them will lead to a job offer.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

Henrun

3.2 sweaty miles this morning.

Had planned to spend last evening at an outdoor classical concert, but everything got rained out (sorry deeze). Will try again tonight.

2.8 miles-  didn't get out there in time for more.  2.1 treadmill after work.  = 4.9

I have slowed down hugely since 2009.  I will be 65 in a month or so.  I ran a 4:08 marathon (which included 3 falls, one of which cracked some ribs) in October 2009 and now I'm in the 4:50s.  Shorter distances are similarly slower.   It feels just as hard.   It just happens!  Also, the "come back" from each injury or illness/surgery is harder and you don't get back to where you were.  That "you'll be better than ever" is not true anymore.   I'm out there, though!

We get the Vice President today.  Fortunately, not in my part of town.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I've only explored a handful of trails in RMNP - I live about 90 minutes south of there, and I keep thinking I should go up there to run sometimes.  But there are hundreds (thousands?  ) of miles of trails in the national forests and wilderness areas all over the place that don't require a park entrance fee or park pass.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of exploring here!

I did a 5k yesterday evening at our Colorado Masters Running/Racewalking Association monthly race, followed by a nice potluck at a park in Golden.  I never do any speedwork, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that my 5k pace is about a 10 minute mile...    Oh, well, I'm 60, so I'm happy I'm still running pain-free!

My DH had good results from his stress test.  He also had a VO2 max test, and was off the charts, even for a 20 year old!  (He got a 55).  It's unclear why he gets tired easily, but he's thinking it might be thyroid/hormone related.

One of my ultra friends is finishing running the Colorado Trail today, and I'm joining a group of friends to welcome her when she gets to the Denver end of the trail.  She ran from Durango to Denver, a total of about 500 miles, in 2 weeks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I can imagine those executive branch visits are just nothing but a real PITA for people trying to live and work in those communities. Hang in there, guys!

Carolyn, that's just a crazy run she's done. And I can't believe you're 60. And Jlynne hardly looks 65. What a bunch of overachievers here! 

So the aging thing... I look at my old PRs and just *sigh* to think I'll never run those times again. My mile PR is like 6:37 (2010) and I can barely struggle out a 7 minute mile now. My PR at Gold Discovery Run is 2:09 (2011), and holy carp I can't even imagine taking over 12 minutes off this year's time. And those PRs aren't really that far behind as far as time, only 6-7 years, but does that really make that much of a difference? 2011 was also my marathon PR of 3:30, so maybe that was just a crazy year.

Glad I didn't try to run yesterday, I just really felt pretty crummy. Feel better today but still have sinus pressure. I'll run later but will keep it pretty low-key. It rained all day yesterday, and today is overcast with showers predicted but so far it looks ok out there. At least the forecast for Saturday looks good (sunny but not hot) for the half marathon.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I can imagine those executive branch visits are just nothing but a real PITA for people trying to live and work in those communities. Hang in there, guys!

In 1998 when I was living and working in Cardiff, there was the EU summit in June.

My workplace (in the university) was within the "Ring of Steel" and so I couldn't go into work.

Officially the University told us to use PTO, or to work from home for the duration

My boss pretty much said <censored> that, and said do what you want and just say you were working from home and I'll agree with you.

I think my wife and I went to the beach along the coast a bit.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

In 1998 when I was living and working in Cardiff, there was the EU summit in June.

My workplace (in the university) was within the "Ring of Steel" and so I couldn't go into work.

Officially the University told us to use PTO, or to work from home for the duration

My boss pretty much said <censored> that, and said do what you want and just say you were working from home and I'll agree with you.

I think my wife and I went to the beach along the coast a bit.

Mike - Very sorry to hear about Ryan's dog.  He was beautiful

Before 3 horses lived across from us, there was a doe who ventured into the pasture with her babies on a regular basis.  Now there's not a enough grass, so we don't see them anymore.

Had to lay off working out last week as Bertha the Bursa developed her attitude again.  She finally calmed down (well, for her), so we're giving another EZ go this week.  ST Monday and today, 3 EZ miles on Tuesday, and rest day yesterday.  It's a work in progress . . .

It's beautiful outside!  But the rest of Northern  and Northeast Cal is hot, hot, hot.  Redding (which is about 3 hrs east of us) is supposed to consistently have triple digit temps for the next 10 days or so.  Bleck!

The Hub and I celebrated 30 years of wedded bliss on Tuesday (you're suppose to say "wedded bliss," right??  Wink.  Sometimes it's hard to believe we actually made it this far.  Then we had "disagreement" last evening (we were both at fault).  Keepin' it real, people, keepin' it real.

Enjoy ~~ 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

quick post

...several Odd Things seem to be occurring today

will re-read tomorrow

===========

..40-min PoolRun with letters

and

3x10min=30

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy ‘versary, leslie and shorty.

wildchild - where’d DH get those VO2’s from?

Do you know yours?

Aging and slowing – as a fitness runner who never trained for running and, when I did, it wasn’t more than the race distance itself because I always assumed I should be in good enough shape from skiing, etc. in those days to do something as simple as running, I think my times over the last forty years are pretty comparable so watch out RKS as not much change for me either for the first 25 years until a last three hour range marathon at age 58 (2001 – 3:59:09), four hourer at 65 (2007 – 4:49:21), and five hour range at 72 (2015 – 5:48:00,), . . . except I still cling to the old Boston qualifying rule so last year’s happy RA Reunion Marathon at Portland in 6:00:34 can count as a fiver too.

However my marathon mentors Bob and Mel, along with IM’er Frank ran sub-six hour into their eighties and my marathon nemesis Judy ran two 3:59’s two years ago when she was 72. At 74, she’s slipped slightly into the four hour range so it all depends.

Good luck.

ps MikeE – nice picture of Dash. While just a gesture,

I hope the utility company can compensate, at least a little

pps - still hot and hazy in Seattle but didn't phase one tourist

from WashDC who commented, "huh? Hot?

You should try hot and humid."

ppps tramps - the 55,000 must be counting all the deer trails, maybe even mice and voles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Tramps -  - I went back and re-read that sign and realized it said "152 trails and over 55,000 visitors each year."   What I really wonder is how many injuries/deaths occur here each year, just from my observations of people letting their little kids run along rocks on dangerous overlooks, and idiots balancing precariously over cliff edges to get that perfect photo.

Early morning thunderstorms cleared enough for me to get in 3 miles before the family was up and moving.  DD has not been feeling well, and when I checked on her about 2am, she had a high fever (no thermometer, but my "mom-sense" figured it at about 102-103).  Some ibu and a bath and she felt much better an hour later and went back to bed, and today was better, if moving a bit slow.  We  decided to take an easy day and drive the Peak-to-Peak Scenic By-Way.  Unfortunately, soon into the drive we found the cloud cover lowered to the point of being dense fog.  We kept going for about 30 minutes, hoping it would break, but then gave it up and turned back.  Instead we did some walking in downtown Estes Park where there was a farmer's market going on and lots of shops.  We purchased a few items, then stopped at a Rock Shop and Museum, and looked through the visitor center at the nearest entrance to the park.  Dinner at the cabin, followed by an hour of card-playing, and now we are relaxing.  Tomorrow, our last day, is supposed to be sunny, so we are getting up early and heading back into the park for another drive along Trail Ridge Road and some stops that we missed before.

Not as much running (or hiking) as I would have liked this week, but still a lot of fun with the family.  This may be our last big family vacation, so I am hoping we are making good memories for the kids.

Here is a picture from today.  The cloud cover seemed to be hovering right above us.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I had to rush home and get my run done before an "emergency meeting" at church.  We're leasing out our parsonage and there are some problems with the new renters.  But--I got 6 miles done.  It was 55o!  I was freezing!

On the way home from the church I received a call from my niece.  I guess my BIL is in hospice care, now.  He has had type 1 diabetes since he was a teen.  He had a kidney transplant about 28 years ago, but it's failing and he's back on dialysis.  He is now having issue with his feet and was told they would have to amputate them.  He said, no--and he quit dialysis--he's done.  They say people who go off dialysis last about 2 weeks.  Yep--you can always count on me for good news.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Mike and family}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."