Masters Running

Thu Mar 27 Runs and Workouts (Read 576 times)

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for your comments on my hawk pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing the chicks, but I wonder if the leaves will hide my view. Today I had a 6 mile tempo planned, within a 12 mile MLR. After 2 miles at about 7:25, I found the effort more than it should be and decided not to force it and risk injury this close to the goal race. My HR was also high which confirmed the assessment. Finished off the 6 at close to MP (8:17, 7:59, 7:59, 8:06), then cruised in at mid 8:20's. Workout: 11.2 miles, 8:08/mi, AHR 158 Overall: 12.2 miles, 1:39 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Today was a recovery day from yesterday's repeats. 4 miles at 10:15 min/mile pace. Average HR 121. Bill "The facts maam. Just the facts"

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

The Jogger

Morning Gang Lou, that's what I call sensible running. I need to adopt that attitude with my training, I almost get over confident with my training, which is probably why I'm suffering from a sore hip at the minute, which I hope through stretching will sort itself. 3m 34:09@ 11:24 pace AHR 140 68% Good Runs All Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Those were great pictures yesteday Lou. Hopefully we will get updates like the Mockingbird chronicles last year! Hope your hip is better soon Roy! Out for 3.5 miles with Brinkley today. I told him let's just give it our all and get it done! He was more than happy to lead the way, but peetered out after the first couple of miles. He must have been feeling the affects of our 5 miler yesterday. Average pace - 9:26. Happy Thursday! It is my Friday - tomorrow I'm taking my youngest DD to tour the college she is going to attend next year. (lump in throat). TTFN! ~Mary P.S. I just heard on the local news that it is "Drive your Tractor to Work Day!" Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good move Lou. Any one workout can boost performance 1% at most but one injury reduces performance 100%. 6 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 57:48 (9:39, AHR 144 with 8x100m strides sprinkled on top.. yum, yum) Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

anachrotech

A not as wretched 3 miles this morning in 32:44 Good runs all.

Marathon Maniac #957

Because I am old, I don't care. Fashion be gone...I will go for comfort!!
                RunninginDC – I love that. Smile Enk – just to let you know, Tramps did mention on the 40/40 thread that work and stuff was getting too busy for a bit, but that he would be back when things slowed down. Sadly, Dark Horse gave no explanation for his sudden departure. Erika – you are in excellent shape, woman! I said it before and I’ll say it again – you are going to SMOKE Boston! Anachrotech - Smile Thunderstorms in the forecast had me thinking today might be a TM run, but it was just a steady-but-light rain when I got up, so I was (thankfully) able to get my run in outside. 10.25 miles in 42 degrees and light rain, with some hillwork, including 9 charges (sort of) up and down the steepest 1/8-mile section of the hill behind my house – not steep enough to kill you, but enough to get a good quad-pounding on the way down. This is my last longish weekday run before Boston. My schedule just calls for 7-8-mile weekday runs from here on out. Whew! Now I can stop getting up at 4am and start sleeping in till 5. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, all! Lou - I hope you are able to get chick pictures. I followed the growth of two eaglets on an "eaglecam" website a couple of years ago. That was amazing. Denise - a 90 minute massage - I am insanely jealous!! btb - healing vibes headed your way - wishing you a speedy recovery. {{{{{{Roy's hip}}}}}}} Mary - it's a good thing that my DH didn't know it is "drive your tractor to work day" ;-). This cold is beating me down and I decided to sleep in lieu of a run this morning. I don't remember the last time I had a cold this bad - I can usually run through illness without a second thought. I had to stop for 4 turkeys crossing the road on my way to work this morning - they stopped traffic from both directions while they leisurely strolled across the road. I heard spring peepers last night when I put Jesse out for the last time. They might want to put their little parkas back on as snow and sleet are predicted for tonight and tomorrow (not fair, not fair, not fair.....). Good runs to everyone!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, A perfect spring morning here 49F and sunny. I almost got lazy this morning but forced myself out of bed. Big grin 10.15 miles of hills @ 9:11 pace the run felt great this morning, I'm glad that I got up. BTW, what happened to Tramps ? ...I haven't seen him posting. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Morning all... Lots of good runs already and smart decisions too. Let the way you feel govern the workout. I did go by plan today, but so many of my workouts are by feel anyway. 16 miles with 3x 25 minutes at half pace with 5 min rest intervals. Whole deal in 2:16---20F at 5:15 AM and 25F at the finish---partly cloudy, not much wind and dry streets. The snow and sleet is coming our way as well and I hope the brave lilacs around our house don't take a huge beating. My husband is from Rochester, NY (Lilac City), so we have many planted around the house. I don't want to complain too much about the weather...I fear the wrath of April when it can be 90 degrees. The running went well this morning. I had a sleep deprivation migraine, but by the end of the run it was a dull thudding and my legs took over. The speedy patches were between 7:40 and 7:42 pace. All good and feeling steady. Interesting article in the New York Times about runner's highs and whether or not there is scientific proof of true highs. Hopeful4ever....I love your descriptions of Brinkley and your runs together (you too RoyC and Perchcreek). Boogie the beagle would be useless on a run....howling and baying at everything, he has muscles of steel and like a true hunter is off at the first scent. He's also deaf now and that presents all sorts of other problems. He used to sit at the door and whine when I went on runs, now he sits in his dog bed and looks at me as if to say: "You have got to be kidding Lady! I am staying right here in case I can knock over a trash can or jump onto the dining room table" Denise....I am jealous of that massage as well! I always get one three days before a marathon and need to schedule it! Let's meet at the hotel/post race area on Sunday? I may wear the hat you see in my profile picture (a bright orange 'Cuse cap). Can't wait to meet you! How about Coastwalker and Henrun and Marj? I'll put it all in a separate thread. Evanflein----you will FLY at Boston and your running is going so well. None of that lil' ole you stuff! Wow...chatty now that I am home and have a reliable Internet connection. Time to get work done, so I can get to sleep before midnight. Ciao for now CNYrunner
                      PJH

I had to stop for 4 turkeys crossing the road on my way to work this morning - they stopped traffic from both directions while they leisurely strolled across the road.
                        We're these of the human or animal variety? PJ
                          I had a slow drive into work today. My tractor only goes 5mph max and people were getting stacked up behind me. Big grin Steve: Glad to hear about the job possibility for you. Maybe Michigan employment is on the upswing now! Mary: Where will she be going? Somewhere in-state or even close by? Some decent mid-range runs today, with the exception of the usual suspects outdoing us all (Holly, Peter). Not running hasn't been all bad this season: it was 37F with an icy drizzle this morning. I was glad not to be out in it, but saw one semi-crazed (I assume) bicyclist as I was driving in. I hope for good runs in better weather for the rest of you today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Had my first run as a grandfather this morning. 3 miles total. It's been a couple weeks since my last run and I'm still coughing but decided I felt like running anyway. Annabelle Leigh Born 3/26/08 at 11:36am 8lbs 1oz 20¼ inches

dg.

good morning everybody, Lou, the hawks are beautiful. I'm glad you were careful today. more {{{{ hip hugs }}}} for Roy Smile morning Mary. how're things over on your side of the state? yummy, Perch. I loved your description Tuesday of Tory's strides. {{{Sue}}}! Erika, I agree with CNY. still. impressive town you've got there. Vista, thanks for the welcome. I haven't gotten yet to read about what happened to your brother, but I'm glad there is improvement. it's very hard, or weird, coming back here & having missed so much. it's hard to know what to say or to ask. I'd thought I'd just let it all go but that doesn't really work. it will take a while. then there's that pesky memory thing. e.g. Doug, I've wanted to ask how you were, but figured if I'd been reading I'd know. but since I haven't, how are you? Enke, I've always thought the same thing as far as people leaving the forum. in my case... it was 1, 2 & 3, but not an intentional leaving. just more & more overwhelmed & behind & down & (blah blah blah) & before you know it I was gone. I wonder how many times it happens like that. as long as I'm overposting, one more thing. hawks.... they're so impressive. but keep your garage door shut. we had one use the wheel barrow full of bags of mulch as a dining room. Shocked. I couldn't figure out why Sadie was so entranced by the garage. Roll eyes ETA, Dave, congratulations!! welcome, Annabelle Leigh. what a sweetie. congratulations to DD.
                                Mary be glad you are not in the situation my parents were in. I was raised on the east coast and went to college on the west coast! Long drive that would have been. Wink Congrats on the speed work WRFB even if sensibly abbreviated. Holly it is nice to see the taper section of the training schedule come into view! I headed out for a fairly easy run this morning. 8.14miles@9:16. I just wanted to beat out the rain storm that is supposed to come later this morning. Happy running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/