Masters Running

40's / 50's and beyond~ On the Run (Read 427 times)

jfa

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.
    Vince Lombardi

Hi All!

A huge high - five to Ev for yesterday's 5k  *2nd OA and 2nd AG* Certainly worth repeating!  WTG !! That's showin' them youngins sumfin!

Hope Jim's went well too!

That 6 miler is quite a ways BF Arla- is that your furthest run BF? How are you feeling?

My 5k didn't turn out as well as I would have liked,but I'm learning. It's only my 4th "short" race, so I'll get it right one of these days. Last races 1st mile was too slow so of course today I did wrong the other way. First mile was right about 7:00 pace, second around 7:35, third was a real struggle to get 8:30 ish. About 1800 runners on a cloudy, very humid morning about 80*. Sun came out (by the beach no shade) about half way and I just wilted like a cheap suit. Matched my last 5k at about 23:50 so I'll take it. I left what I had on the course and that's how I judge these things, as long as I tried my hardest. Buddy boy counts on at least some kind of weekend run, so out to the reservior later for 5.3m BF in ( what else) the pooring rain.At least those FF's are light when wet,unlike the sneakers!

Oh yea- can't forget- what's a burpee ?

Top 'O the World!

Ref Burpees:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps  or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise)

Hey Folks! 

HUGE Congrats to our racers!! WOO-HOO!  You guys rock .....only in my dreams can I get to a 7:30 pace (& that would be on a downhill!!)...let alone sustain it for 3.1 miles!~

Warming back up around here!  (currently 93*) was around 80* when Doug & I finished our long runs near noonish...we'd (mostly me) slept in this am instead dragging dead butt outta bed early when it was cooler! (didn't we do this same stoopid thing last Sunday!?!? you'd think we'd learn!)  Now, I'd worked another bike event all day yesterday up @ Copper Mtn & didn't get home until 11pm...tired, annoyed w/DS (I'd stopped by to "check on" the mtn house.. since my route would take me past there) he hasn't been paying any of his housing expenses again...2 mos now & the house isn't exactly "clean" ....seems to me that my 30 year old son needs to learn to pay rent somewhere else!! Now. How do I go about throwing him out?! Oy!

Joe: I knew you musta been speed reading   s'ok....ODAAT

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Ok ,so I guess they're called burpees because that's what comes after vomiting following a few of those things....

Good luck figuring that out with your DS Cindy! Wish I could help but you know, they all find they're way eventually...

Arla- How's the feet? I just picked up the book "Born to Run " by Chris McDougall. There's a thread on it somewhere.It's about a tribe of barefoot super-running Mexicans. BTW, can you please refresh us on how to make a link be just any words you want. Is it called A-ref or something like that? Thanks

Ok ,so I guess they're called burpees because that's what comes after vomiting following a few of those things....

Arla- BTW, can you please refresh us on how to make a link be just any words you want. Is it called A-ref or something like that? Thanks

1. Re the burpees - exactly!  And nice run, my friend.  Yes, trying to find the right groove for a short run is hard.

2. Can you help us, Arla?

Cindy - Should I tell you what I keep telling my boss when he complains yet again about how much money he expends for his grown children?  Treat them like the adults they are and make them stand on their own two feet.  Easy coming from someone w/no kids, I know, but I watched my parents put everything they had on the line for my brother, and it still irks me a bit.  Mostly because I don't think he really understands exactly what they gave up for him and his kids.

I posted the following on the wrong thread:

Ev - Great race!!  Way to go on the 2 & 2!  And I read the same thing in Arla's post the first time re people watching.  I was like, "Huh?  Oh!"

Arla - Burpees.  A "measly" two sets?  Cripes - those suckers are hard!  I keep intending to add them to my workout, but I conveniently keep forgetting.   If you have time, go checkout the Weekly Run & XTraining thread.  Sort of helps to keep us honest withourselves.

Had a good, but tiring, 14-mile trail run yesterday.  Then The Hub and I drove up here to Brookings, OR, to hang out for a couple days to celebrate our 22nd anniversary.  Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been that long.  Had a little too much fun last night with margaritas, but I pushed myself through 7 hangover miles this a.m.  Was suppose to be 10, but I figured I'd gone from one end of town to the other, I was hungover and hungry, so enough was enough.  At breakfast, ordered the short stack of pancakes.  They were so frigging big, I could only eat one.

Went for a drive up the Chetco River, and on the way back were flagged down by a couple of guys who found a fire smoldering on the side of the road.  Some jerk - or jerks - had built a fire, probably during the night.  There was a dead log buried under where the fire was, and it was ready to take off, big time.  It's so dry around here, it was a disaster waiting to happen.  We hung out to watch for embers while the other two took off a phone (no cells signal there) and a couple of shovels.  Disaster averted.  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

My thoughts exactly!

Congrats, Joe, on your 5K.  And nice run with the Budster.  Does BF=bare foot?

Hey Mtn....I envy your energy working at these events. 

Joe....about the link....try this.  As your typing your message, click on the earth with the chain link in the tool bar right below the subject line.  This will bring up a box that lets you type in the web address url.  Then you can type in the text for the link on the next line.   Does that make any sense?

Leslie....nice 14 miler yesterday on the trails and another hangover 7 today. 

6 miles for me this late afternoon.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - wtg on the racing, from what I hear it's really hard to learn how to pace a 5K. And, funny, I was thinking of going out to buy "Born to Run". Re: barefoot running (BF - correct, Ev), I'm up to about 2 mi completely BF, but with the Vibrams I can do a lot more - felt fine today after yesterday's 6 mi, the calf and ankle soreness I was getting in when I started BF running was minimal. I prefer truly BF, but it's a lot more challenging in terms of blisters and little bits of stuff sticking to your feet and all that. The VIbrams are pretty close to BF, but I'm not totally thrilled with the toes.

I think Ev answered the question about the link...?

Cindy - easy for me to say, but it seems you're not doing your adult son any favors by letting him be a bum. I had neighbors that essentially supported their son, right up until the mom died...the son was I'd guess in his mid-50s by then. It wasn't long before he went through his share of the inheritance, then he just disappeared. For all I know he's a street person by now.

Leslie - hangover runs...ugh. But I hope you really enjoyed your anniversary weekend! Where's the running and x-training thread? Is it here in Masters Running?

Had a tough 12.5 miler that was supposed to be 14 tonight. First 7 miles in the sun, 97 degrees when I left. Then I was plagued by - *ahem* - gas! That never happens to me! Then I started to get side stitches! That also never happens to me! I headed towards home in case I had to bag it, but shade, cooling temps, and stupidity kept me going. I'm enjoying a well-deserved blueberry wheat beer as a reward for my stupidity!

MTA: clarification

Ex runner

Good Monday morning to everyone.....

2 great races this weekend for Joe and Ev......way to go guys. 5k's can take everything out of you because of the intense fast pace. You both are pretty darn fast.......oh by the way Ev, how was that T-bone last week?

Sounds as though you had a nice time Leslie. Nice weekend trail run!

Cindy, at least you have "downhills" to pull off a 7:30 pace! I'd have to hop on my bicycle if I wanted to see a 7:30 pace. Speaking of kids, my 18 yr. old did move out the day after graduation, (just down the road) and just informed us that she will be moving back in next week. Her room has been untouched and I welcome her back anytime. She is just so young and really not ready. My 19 yr. old spends half her time in Orlando and the other half here. She is in college full-time, works part-time and is saving every penny she makes for the big move next year to Jacksonville. Kids are all so different and some need more time than others. But did you say he was 30? Go get 'em Cindy. Put that foot down! Tell your son "there are plenty of people that would love to rent out this mountain house that would pay me rent every month, should I put a for rent sign in the front yard?"

You are doing great with the BF running Arla. Man that weather makes for some hot runs. Those Burpees do look hard!

Had a super time in Daytona. The bike ride was heaven. Took our time and just cruised there and back for a wonderful day out. About 30 of us ended up at Boot Hill Saloon, just stayed about an hour there, (couldn't take that place for more than that) then headed over to the "Oyster Bar" for a couple of hours and then headed back home. I absolutely loved the ride.

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Had a tough 12.5 miler that was supposed to be 14 tonight. First 7 miles in the sun, 97 degrees when I left.  I'm enjoying a well-deserved blueberry wheat beer as a reward for my stupidity!

Arla....Nice run....97 degrees is tough tough tough to run in.  Good work.

Blueberry wheat beer sound awesome!  From time to time I get the Cherry Wheat from Sam Adams.  Who's making your Blueberry?

Leslie...Happy Anniversary to you and "The Hub".  22 years....that's awesome.

Jewels....Yeh, the T-bone was good!  Ha!  I hope you didn't mind my little jab......I couldn't help myself.  It was done with fun intentions.     Sounds like you had a great time on the ride to Daytona.  What kind of bike?

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Congrats to Ev and Joe on some fine races this weekend!  You guys are starting to make it look easy...but that's what consistency does for you.  Seriously nice times for a coupla seriously nice guys...makes me smile even on a Monday!

Leslie, happy anniversary.  You do a great job of getting it done -- even on vacation.

Jewels, glad you had a good time as well!

Cindy, getting in at 11...you wild thing, out partying with bikers....oh yes, it's those other kinds of bikers.  I'm getting you and Jewels confused.  Sounds like that mountain house is in need of a makeover, as in the "tennant" making his way over somewhere else.

Dang Arla, if it's 97, I don't leave at all, except to go to the air conditioned gym.  You are still getting in some good mileage.  My hat is off to you!  But I'm sorry, blueberries and wheat are what you have for breakfast with a little milk on top.  Now a nice bottle of wine with a hint of blueberries is another matter....

12.3 miles on my bike this morning.  Nice ride before it heats up (supposed to hit 100 today).  Sunday was a rest day, and Saturday was 30 min elliptical, 30 min upper/core weights, 12 laps in the pool (I think that's 600 meters or yards, gotta reverify the lenght of the pool)....still includes rests between some of the laps and a few of them were just kickboarding.  I am starting to get the breathing thing down a little better though, and am taking breaths on both sides every 3 strokes.  Figured it might be easier to learn the bilateral breathing early on than to try to learn it later, but who knows.  My friend had a swim lesson with the HS swim team champ without me, but she passed along some of the things she learned.  Looks like I may need to join the fun on the cross training thread as well.

Later!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Yup, sounds like ya'll agree w/me that it's waaaay past time to change the locks!...on the one hand, I know that the current state of the economy has taken a bite out of his paycheck, on the other, I have never in my life shirked my financial responsibilities or left anyone else holding the bag - no matter how many jobs/side work it took to get it done! Trouble was, the last time we tried to throw him out, he threw a temper tantrum & legal eagles told us it could get expensive to evict based hugely on that we hadn't a legal contract per se, & haven't been enforcing as it is...... we'll see

Okay then, Running board!  Oh yeah  

Happy Anniversary Leslie!!  Congrats!  & hey, we tried your double back...& hmmm, I need better rest before attempting said dbl long hilly run & 2, need to go out earlier before it heats up too much!!  & we did it backwards probably: 13.5 yesterday in the heat, 10 up the BIG hill this am (cooler, but still)

97* Arla!?   I'd be pukey & slow! If out at all!! but I will certainly join you in the air-conditioned pub for some blueberry wheat! only one I've ever seen is Sea Dog....

Jewels ~ I miss my mc this Summer! Glad you had a good time!

Gotta run....hard to type w/3 yr old helping!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - *ding!* we have a winner! Sea Dog it is! I was skeptical, because a few weeks ago I tasted a blueberry merlot in Napa that was icky. What happened to your motorcycle?

...Sorry to hear that you might have to spend money to evict your son. So sad that it could come to that. Would it help if you could show that he's not paying rent? I can't believe that you don't have any legal footing here.

Jewels - I'm getting really excited about my trip. The last several years I've had to keep a schedule and cover long distances to get across the country and back, which can really beat you up! This year I'm trying to keep it slow and easy...take my time, like you did...oh, and we need pics of your bike.

Carol - that's some workout schedule ...nice swimming progress...so you alternate your breaths on either side?

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hi All- it's official- I wilted even worse than I thought yesterday - 23:59 but apparently wasn't alone-

OA- 218 out of 1777 runners. AG 19 of 97 45-49yo's. Not too bad. Like I said the humidity womped me. I guess I should stop whining about 80 something degree heat ,when Arla's running in almost trip digits! Whew! Speaking of barefooting, I picked up my first blister on my big toe today. Was running the boardwalk, ditched and hid my shoes, and ran the last 3 in the sand. Nothing that a band-aid won't take care of and the dips in the ocean along the way were great!

check out me running IN the ocean here (zoom in on the " + " sign )   Thanks Ev!

On vacation this week. Going up to NH tomorrow to visit some family and recreate. 

flatland mountaineer

Lynda and I did the little run at the fair this year. Only 25 or so but gorgeous morning and we had fun. Lynda did the 5k and I did the 10 k. Only a couple guys did the 10k one fast guy that ran a 42 and me @ 52:50 about 3 minutes off my pr but I really hadn't planned on "racing" it per se. I was on decent pace but got pretty nauseous about mile 5 and cut it back or wouldn't have finished. My doc has me on an antidepressant and think that was the source of the nausea. I went in to see the doc to go over some of dad's test results and she took one look at me and began interviewing me and our goings on this spring and thought I needed to some help in that department.

Really enjoying reading all the goings on here, just haven't had much time to post.

Oh, oh we have a new family member!!! http://www.vomspringer.com/puppies.htm

The female in the top picture is now in our family, we named her Dessa.

Will catch up with you all later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning.....

Got up early this morning to hit the gym but feeling really crappy. Just tired and weak.....think I'll just do a little bit of nothing before I'm off to work.

2 things........

Very, very cool Joe.......you ARE literally running in the ocean. How refreshing.

Oh so very cute Jim and Lynda.......absolutely precious. I think she will be good therapy for you both! Just looking at her could brighten anyone's day.

Summer semester is officially over.........A nice 2 week break now.

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Carol....thanks for the kind words.  Nice going on the bike and pool stuff. 

Mtnchk,  looks like you really know your beer.  Well, I guess you ought to....being from CO and such. 

Arla....are you going cross country on the bike?  On my vacation a couple weeks ago, I met three guys who had been xcountry.  They went from South Carolina to Oregon and were on their way back home when we met.  Two were on bikes and one in a pickup for support.  Good luck!

Joe....23:59 is still a really good time.  Especially with that temp.  Now if it had been raining, I would have expected much faster!    Neat map of your race course....I like the satellite view.  Have fun on vacation.....just make sure the re doesn't turn into pro.  ( I can't believe I said that out loud  )

Jim....glad the racing went well.  52 and change in the 10K is pretty speedy in my book.....and that's 3 min. off your PR???  Congrats.  Tell Lynda "Congrats" as well.  Dessa looks like a keeper!

Jewels....relax and enjoy!

Really turning back to hot around here.  Yesterday and most of this week in the 100s.  Will try to get in 6 this evening.

Hey to evryone else out there.