Masters Running

$100 to run a 5K??? (Read 285 times)

The disney half filled up so I went to sign daughter and I up for the 5k. That was until I saw the price $100 per person to run a 5k. And its 70% full! Am I the only one to see this as ridiculous?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

evanflein

And I'm sure it'll fill before too long. Crazy.
        Ahhh, Disney...... I did their half last January, and I won't go back there to run in one of their events again - ever. It was way too expensive, too crowded, and the route was just okay. Had to be in the starting corral at 4:30 for a race that didn't start until 5:45. Not to mention the fact that the morning of the race, it was 33° and freezing rain. So - all the nice tents they had set up to keep people warm and out of the elements before the race started?  Uh-uh. Nope. Not unless you chose to fork out an extra $75 for their  "special" package. Then, it took us over 25 minutes standing in line in the freezing rain cold and soaking wet to catch a bus to get back to our Disney hotel.  Food/beverages after the race?  Blech. Plain old bullsh#& IMO.

"But it's magical!"     And that is 20 bucks per kilometer.  Even the worst gas guzzler car gets better mileage than that.

You oughta post this on the main forum - I bet you would get a lot of comments.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I would ask, "This is a joke, right?" except I know it's not.  Total and complete bull-hockey!  So much of the Magic Kingdom - except it "magically" takes all your money.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

A nearby race charged $20 for regular entries into the 5K, and $100 for VIP entries. The VIPs got a private parking area, separate port-a-potties, special bibs and t-shirts, and their own buffet (with beer) after the race. When the race sold out (as it does every year), there were still some VIP entries left. They sold a total of 40 of them, and the (non-profit) beneficiary of race got an extra financial boost. Good deal.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

You forgot to mention the parking fees that Disney charges also....and since they make you pick up your bib the day before, you have to pay the parking fee that day, and again on race day.

At least the money goes to a good cause......I think Mickey Mouse needs a new hot tub.  

Runners run

Slo

You forgot to mention the parking fees that Disney charges also....and since they make you pick up your bib the day before, you have to pay the parking fee that day, and again on race day.

At least the money goes to a good cause......I think Mickey Mouse needs a new hot tub.  

It simply amazes me that people would pay that entry fee and the parking fees. How big is the field ?

Laurie......I'm with you. It is ridiculous.

I didn't do any sprint tri's this year because of the cost. $80 is getting to steep. And these are usually put on by "For Profit" groups. Everyone has come to expect all the fan fare.....speakers thumping, big finish line markers, on course timers, chipped timers, immeadiate results print outs...... that the poor charity organizer can't afford to put one on......if he does it's ill attended because it's done "old school".

Another question that begs to be answered.......What is Disney going to do when everybody buys the speedy pass ?

SteveP

For $100.00 on a 5K, the shirt better be pretty nice and it better keep me really warm when Mrs. P kicks me to the crub.

SteveP

SteveP

Actually, for $100.00....I had better feel like going to confession after I wore the race T shirt

SteveP

I couldnt find how big the field is.

But I did find that they have an after party in the park. One tapa per runner and one drink. Dont know if the rides are open.

I did run the first tower of terror 13k. It was fun but did start nearly an hour late and after party food was a banana and water.

So yeah never again for me too.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.