Masters Running

Too Warm Tuesday, May 25 Daily (Read 657 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm thinking this weather is more like July 25 rather than May 25!!

So good to see Avenger Doggie posting last night!    I'll post some puppy update pictures for ya.

Yea to Eliz!!    Another big event to look forward to.

Boy, I was sound asleep this morning when the alarm went off.  It took B'Nellie licking me in the face to finally figure out what was going on and what I was suppose to get up and do.   4 miles in the heat and humidity today.  10:11 avg. pace 167 avg. HR - 10:21 / 10:05 / 9:58 / 10:20     I only wish I could lay right on the air conditioning duct when I get home like Brinkley does!!

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Too warm? Here too.

Did an easy three this AM, untimed.

Eliz came back! (Cue the Rocky theme song)

Stay cool everybody!

Walt

hopeful- Good job toughing out the H&H this morning.

Eliz- I'll be checking on your progress. Looks like you are jumping in with both feet!

Another morning bike commmute (25 miles round trip Jlynne). Will run after work today.

Morning everyone. Wow, this weather has got to break pretty soon, I hope. 70° at 4:45 and STICKY. Nice sweaty 4 miler this morning, Mary. We're smart to get our runs in before it really gets warm.

What's the latest project, Walt? Always love to see what you're working on.  Are your girls done with school yet?

Cranium, do you pack work clothes in a backpack to change into? I'm asking all these questions because my job is about 5 miles from my home and I'm contemplating starting to bike there. Just trying to figure out all of the logistics.

A marathon for Eliz! Nice to see your post - you've been missed.

6.50 sticky, slow miles this morning, 9:58 pace. Came home and jumped rope down our cool basement for 5 minutes, then did some ab work. Wish I would have gotten on the scale before/after my run this morning because I was dripping wet when I got home.

What did all of you "24" junkies think of the finale last night?

Eliz is signed up for the Palm Beaches Marathon!  Another excuse for me to go run the HM.

The plan for today was for 10.1 miles altogether with the first 5 miles at an EZ pace warm up.  Then 3 x 1 mile @ 10K pace (7:35ish), 2 minutes jog recovery.  And the last 1.5 miles cool down.

This morning run started out rather sluggish.  Never felt smooth during the 1st 5 miles.  (I should never take a rest day, the day before a BIG workout.  I always feel yucky when I do.)  But the mile repeats went perfect:  7:35, 7:34, 7:35.  They felt hard but doable.  I tried not to push too much - this being race week and all.  I was glad when they were done though.  8:44 pace overall.  73° and 76%.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

I try not to let the temporary heat bother me here in Michigan.  Two summers in Houston showed me how bad it can really be. 

6 miles this morning with 10x2 minutes at 5k effort.  A haircut yesterday helped me keep cool and cut down on the wind resistance!

Slo

Thank goodness for the weather !......Gives us runners something to complain about.

A very muggy and wet 6.5 for me this morning.

Putting in a half day here at the Plant then off to Battle Creek MI....Maybe. We're supposed to be going up for a Factory Acceptance Test on a new Packaging Machine but our engineer hasn't heard back from the manufacture's project manager yet.

I did get out for a bike ride last night. 26 miles, 1.5 hrs......went thru two large bottles of water.

Enjoy your runs ya'll !

Marathon Maniac #957

After all those months of bitter cold and ice and snow and frozen butt cheeks and finger tips and chin and agonizing over windchill vs. precipitation vs. temperature followed by 30 minutes of layering clothes, you will NEVER hear me complain about the heat.  Although I may mention it in passing occasionally....

Joey  - how do you get that big font?

Breger – that sure seems like a big workout during race week.  Nice job of it, though.

Eliz - good for you!  You know we will be your cheerleaders...

I had intended some intervals today, or even some fartlek, but my legs were still tired from Sunday’s LR and really, there was no sense in pushing it at this point, so I didn’t.

8 slow and easy miles (ave 10:38) in 65°, followed by lunges, step-ups, and squats, but only one set instead of three.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Breger – that sure seems like a big workout during race week.  Nice job of it, though.

True, though I did the same workout the week of Boston.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - I just realized I read your post wrong..........I thought you did 10 miles and then started your 3 x 1 mile, with CD making your run about 15 miles total.  Looking at your 40/40 post, I see that this is your last hard workout before the race.  Kewl.   Just checking out different training techniques....

What's the weather looking like for Bayshore?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Is Bayshore this weekend? Who else is doing Bayshore?

All this talk about biking reminds me that I need to find an expert with bike to help me with Carmen....or just drive around yard sales this weekend to find another used bike. With the amount of riding I do I just don't want to justify buying a brand-new bike.

That tag is sure a big boy. Fun reading his posts too.

DG, how is Sadie doing?

PDR, how are you doing with BabyBeer being this side of the country?

Eliz, I am delighted to see you aiming at a marathon. You go girl.

Craneium, still waiting for that RR from the kids. How is your DW doing with her training?

Walter, I was wondering about the furniture, too. This set is made out of mahogany, right?

For the rest of the month I decided to run in the afternoons and then back to early morning again. It sure feels good to sleep in. I will RAW today, but this morning I did some rowing. My arms are going to be yelling at me all day.

Holly, I prefer brown-bagging also. I feel like I have more control over what I eat during the day. Now-days I walk back home to eat lunch, catch up on emails or here and then back to work.

Any Maine runners here? I will be in Portland, Maine in July. It would be fun to meet up with folks. Actually I will be flying to Boston, then driving to Portland.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ah, shucks, you guys are too awesome.  OK, so I hadn't really registered when I posted last night, I'd just set the intention to do it.  But I'm official now, confirmation number, credit card bill and all.

When I thought about running a marathon in the past, it was like, "sure, maybe, someday" and then I chickened out.  This time, though, it's for real,  I know I can do this and I'm counting on all of you terrific mastahs for what I know will be priceless support and encouragement.  

I'm so glad to be back among y'all.  

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Eliz, good for you!  I was wondering how you were doing.  You've got guts, that's for sure!  I'm putting off registering for a half marathon because I'm not sure I'll be ready, and you jump in and register for a full!

Sue, are you OK?  How's the foot?  How's the job?  How's sweet Jesse?

Nono, cool that you're running Twin Cities.  Boy, that's a long drive.

Vista, those company lunches sound like a great perk - I was wondering if the other managers are overweight? How would the managers and the cook take the suggestion to try some lighter, healthier menus?  (OK, they'd probably look at you like you have two heads)

Mariposai, I heard there was major flooding in Poland - is your DS affected by it?

Hi Deb!  Hi Enke!  Wanna get together for a slow run today?  And maybe some tofu? 

It was super windy yesterday, so I bailed on a run.  Plan to RAL.  Warm here, but not humid. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

good morning! 

well, it seemed warm here too & I know it was humid, but I'm just not used to it yet.  (she said optimistically Wink )  My TV is waiting for me to hook up the cable box so I can't whine with real numbers.          But I love it.   The very best is coming home after a run, fixing breakfast & eating outside, listening to the birdies, watching Sadie wander around  & getting the numbers off my Polar.   : )

Eliz I was just wondering about you.   Good to hear from you.  I have to go look at the details, haven't finished yesterday's daily yet.   But it sounds pretty exciting!

Mary, nice warm run.   One of these days we have to meet in the middle.     I cranked the a/c on the way home, sort of like Brinkley I guess!

Jeanne, you too.    I'm going to try Brad Hudson's plan for 'masters'.    How about you?   Did you see the link I sent to the marathon training thread?   There is a really good synopsis of a great selection of plans.  Lots of feedback too.  I ended up giving up on trying to keep up there as well as here, but the Perfessor used to post there.  

Nice, Bylger!!

Nancy, thanks for asking... she's really doing pretty well,  Though the heat is hard on her.   But she seems happy. 

A run post then back to work.    Another river run... 6.18 miles, av. pace 9:50, max 8:54.   AHR 168 (which is an improvement), MHR 180.  Miles were 10:17, 9:49, 9:41, 9:39, 9:48, 9:50.     This was a hard run but it was ok.   I did 2 little speedier chunks just to try to build a little bit, but not really fast so no duct tape!  (9:31 for .7 miles & 9:22 for 1/2)  

Aamos, should I bring the lemons, or will you?    They'll probably have some there if we forget.   : )

oh, I have to get back to work.  

mta, Hi Carolyn!   Smile    I missed your post.  this one took forever to write because work kept interrupting, I hate that.  ; ).        I do!  (want to get together for a slow run & some tofu)(see, clear as a bell).  Is tomorrow ok? don't know if I should do a double shift today.          I've been wondering about Sue too.  We tend to do that, wonder about the same people at the same time.    ...

also.... where's Perch???

Hi everyone!

Just a drive by to shout out to all the Bayshore runners. I will sadly not be with you all this weekend (even though I have paid for it) in  person but you can bet I will be thinking about you. Sounds like perfect weather. Good luck to each of you.

An update on me:

After a trial and error approach of taking a few weeks off and then trying to run only to have the pain in my foot make me take off more time I finally got the diagnosis of  "3" stress fractures , 2 in the 1st and 1 in the 3rd metatarsil of my left foot. I was off completely for 10 weeks. I have been back running for 3 weeks now and all seems ok. I am slowly building and am back up to 5 days a week and 4 mile runs . The only problem I am having is I am slowwww. I am not sure if its just being out of shape and 8 pounds heavier or the damn Beta Blockers they have me on for my heart arythmia. My average pace is down to 9:20 per mile but I am just happy to be back on my feet. I never was fast anyway but this will just not due.

I have no real plans other than enjoying the gift.  I think I will run a bunch of  small local stuff for a few months and then re-evaluate. I know I have been AWOL from here but it is hard for me  to be patient while reading about all these great runs and racing.

Looking forward to running and posting on a more regular basis now that I am pretty sure I am realy back for awhile.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down