Masters Running

RR -- The HermosaboyS Storm Duluth (Read 289 times)

HermosaBoy

So, this is three -- three -- three reports in one. Friday night, CamScam runs the William A. Irvin 5k in HOT, HUMID and WINDY conditions. He decides to really lay it on the line by lining up right on the start in a field of 1125 runners -- dad is shaking in his drawers!!! Plan coming in was to shoot for sub 20 -- before the race, he tells me he is going to run by feel and the heck with PR -- I tell him "Good idea!" So, he gets off good and is in the middle of a large group of runners -- spots some other youngsters and I can see the competitiveness in his eyes. You go dude! He goes for it -- first mile loops around the DECC and into the wind -- he pushes to a 6:41. Uh oh -- that could cost him (too much work). 2nd mile comes in 7:15 -- yup, paid the price. 3rd mile -- 7:04 -- way to rebound!!! Last .017 -- 6:07 pace -- he had roadkill in sight! Overall results -- 57/1125 OA, 4/62 AG and 48/462 Sex/PL with a 21:59. Not a PR, but I am darn proud! Now onto Saturday and the half marathon... A less than perfect performance for me other than bursting with pride at the way KeeMan ran! The young man (16 years old) dropped a 4:27 PR (mine was only 40 seconds) to narrowly miss beating dear OLD dad!!! If the race would have been 14 miles -- I was road kill because he was closing like a freight train (miles 12 and 13 were 5:20 and 5:12 respectively). Here's a line by line comparison from the race results...
    SplitHermosaboyKeeManCommentary
    Overall56/504960/5049 YIKES
    DIV/PL6/2622/102 Both missed out on awards
    SEX/PL51/239455/2394
    Mile 6.940:1740:46 I bet him $5 he couldn’t be under 38 for 10k – I think this calculates to around 36:43
    Mile 11:91:10:181:11:07 Not sure how I opened on him, but uh oh – not feeling so hot!
    Last 10k37:4637:38 Told him $20 if his last 10k was faster than first. Will give it to him for beating me!
    Total1:18:021:18:23 He made up 21 seconds in 1.2 miles!
    So, just some commentary on my race. All in all, it was a favorable result but a bit less than hoped for. Ran to a 40 second PR and ran mostly by feel. Unfortunately, this led me to a nice crash that occurred right as I made the turn to head to Superior Street (mile 10.5?). Goal was to run 5:52ish the whole way. Although, if I had someone to work with, maybe a bit faster. Turned out to be my normal problem. I either had to slow down or speed up. So, here's the splits (garmin): 5:45, 5:46, 5:50, 5:49, 5:50, 5:47 -- I think the 10k split was 36:15ish -- According to website, 6.9 in 40:17 5:58, 5:58, 5:55, 5:54 As you can see, right around the 10k, I started to pay for those few seconds fast the first few and the other ones that I had to work a bit extra to catch up to others -- same old song and dance! Anyway, I made the turn off of London Road, I forgot about that short little hill. When I turned, insert Chris Rock voice -- Oh HELL no!!! My legs tightened up from the lower hamstrings to the lower back! ARGH!!! So, the last portion of the race was fighting my head, and my tight legs to keep moving and included 3 short walk/cursing breaks. Mile 11 in 6:12 Mile 12 in 6:03 Mile 13 in 6:23 Last 0.1 in 0:46 So, I think I ran the first 10 miles pretty darn good (58:32 -- a 10 second 10 mile PR). Although, I may have been a bit too aggressive and paid the price (it is amazing what 3 to 7 seconds a mile can do to you in the long run). Other things that may have factored into it (not excuses, just throwing things out): 6:30 am start = NO SHAKE OUT Bought bananas to eat beforehand, but forgot to eat. So, nourishment was a diet Dr Pepper and a strawberry clif shot gel Back/hamstrings tight since Boston -- should have gotten in to see Dr. Jenna (will do that this Friday) So, I am optimistic that on a better day I really CAN go sub 1:17 -- yesterday just wasn't the day...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

nowor

Congratulations CamScram! Way to Go KeeMan. Good goin' Dad and you're still in front..just! Hermosa, What a trifecta of RR's. Love the competitive spirit and your pride. You set a terrific example and your sons are on your heels. Another day and you'll get that PR!
      Mariposai

Handsome boy, I just delight in reading this report specially readying about the handsome guys running so well and collecting memories for the future. Great run. It is so much fun to see the young one run so well. Watch out dad!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Hi Hermosaboy, Congrats to you and the boys! CamScam ran a great, competitive race in lousy weather conditions. You and KeeMan also ran terrific races ( even with you hitting the wall at 10 miles) - two PRs, and some good money for KeeMan. It won't be long at all before you and he are pacing each other through races, and won't that be fun! How is it that KeeMan was 2nd AG and didn't get an award? Did they only do the top AG finishers? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

As Maraposai says....I love reading these reports. Nice racing hermosaboy and even better the pride you have for your boys. You can just feel your joy and enthusiasm for Keeman and Camscam when you all race together. My hockey/baseball playing 11 year-old may never be neck and neck with me, but the grin on my face when he runs with me is ever lasting. I suspect it's the same for you. You ran a tough race even after hitting a wall. The 1:17 isn't far off. Great job and thanks for the wonderful report complete with play by play action. CNYrunner/Karin
              What a weekend for the hermosas. Congrats to all of you on your impressive running. TomS
                Hi Hermosaboy, all of you ran very well in HOT, HUMID and WINDY conditions. I like your pre-race fuel of diet Dr Pepper and a strawberry clif shot gel Wink Hope your back/hamstrings get better soon.
                  Yep.......I am sensing there is a day coming when Dad will be chasing son.....yep.....yep. Meanwhile until that day happens, great racing for you both and great reports. You will one day look back with even greater appreciation for what you have going on now as a family. Thanks for sharing your races with us. I love to read every one of them. Joey
                  Vista
                  HermosaBoy

How is it that KeeMan was 2nd AG and didn't get an award? Did they only do the top AG finishers? Jay
                    1st in AG for 12 to 18 1 - 3 for 40 to 44

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, KeeMan won an award in my book, and in yours too, I can tell! Awesome running from all 3 of you! I can only run that fast in my dreams, but love to read your reports to get the view from the front of the pack!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

The whole family is incredibly fast! What a great weekend you guys had. Thanks for the report and congrats to all. (CamScam will get his sub-20, no doubt about it)
                          Wow is all I can say. I am amazed that keeman ran 1:18 at 16 years of age and someone beat him...Sorry to tell you dad but he will soon beat you. Guess proud dad knows that but will work hard at delaying it.... congrats to all of you tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Nice weekend for you and your boys!! Congratulations on the fine results for all of you! I am very impressed with how KeeMan ran this race. He really held on to pace at the end and finished with a powerful long kick! It really stinks that there were 102 runners in his division, and only ONE award......WTF were they thinking?? Cam did well also, and will get faster times with better weather conditions. Rob, you got a PR on this one, but I agree totally that you may have pushed a little too hard on those first 6 miles, especially without the shake out run. Next time you will nail the sub 1:17.....easily. Magnificent results as always!! Thanks for sharing, John
                              Wow... What a great time! - You and your kids are incredible. It would seem you don't have much time before you will be the slowest in your family? - This half time indicates you should be able to go way under 2:50 in marathon. - Do you have one planned? It would seem you should be able to crush the 40+Age (and win a coveted Moose Mug). Ray
                              HermosaBoy

Wow... What a great time! - You and your kids are incredible. It would seem you don't have much time before you will be the slowest in your family? - This half time indicates you should be able to go way under 2:50 in marathon. - Do you have one planned? It would seem you should be able to crush the 40+Age (and win a coveted Moose Mug). Ray
                                Next marathon on my agenda is Houston in January. The goal for that one (shsssshhh -- be very quiet about this) is two hours plus my age or better -- 2:44:59. If that goes well and timing works out -- might take a shot at a lower number in Chicago 2009. We shall see. As for being slowest in my family -- I am fine with that! I got more joy out of seeing KeeMan stomp the race than I did out of my PR!!! Big grin

Rob